[The Bronze Wood] Do Fur And Feathers Flock Together? [Nya]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Stretching northward along the coastline of the Suvan Sea, the Cobalt Mountains are the home of the Bronze Wood, numerous ruins, and creatures both strange and fantastical.

Re: [The Bronze Wood] Do Fur And Feathers Flock Together? [Nya]

Postby Avi on January 25th, 2010, 5:35 am

"If you're sure," Avi had no problem sharing, after all. There was plenty to go around - it was one hell of a big fish, and as big as Avi's stomach was--a bottomless pit, Nya would find out from watching her pick away at the salmon--she was open to sharing. She picked off a chunk from the salmon's torn side, and popped it in her mouth, giving it a quick chew and swallow before reaching for more. "My parents are Vantha... human," she grinned happily at Nya, her eyes bright amber. "And so are my brother and sisters. I was a bit of a surprise, you see," she admitted, "they didn't... well, didn't expect me to be Kelvic, not with three normal children before me." she picked the fish apart with her fingers before nibbling a little more delicately on a few flakes. "Somewhere along the line, a Kelvic was mixed in, but it was so far back that no one can remember, which makes it harder. In Avanthal, you see, we pay close attention to lineages... breeding... bloodlines." She took another piece of fish, turning it over in her fingers.

"My brother and sisters, they're all older than me, but smaller... just nestlings. So even though I'm bigger than they are, and I'm kind of bigger than you, I had to learn to be careful and to share." And to be nicer, and to be gentle, and to try to resist some of the more powerful instincts she had. That was an ongoing lesson. She was still learning. But she'd found that nature didn't care, really, how nice or gentle or careful you were, and when she was on her own... she could be as rowdy as she wanted. The seal she picked up and dropped from the clouds wasn't going to care when its death was a quick one on the ground.

"I like the wi...Zulrav," Avi bobbed her head in pleased agreement. "Except for when he's in a temper, and I can't fly or if I was flying, and get thrown to the ground. We need the wind. It makes us faster, stronger, flying with it or against it. Though one time he got me rather good," she grinned a little, remembering, her eyes turning blue as she lifted her left arm, "I was practicing my flying, then, barely a nestling, myself," she settled back, remembering the story. "The skies were clear, dark, but I could see... can always see, so it wasn't a problem. I was fledging, learning to fly. It takes practice, just like it does for any nestling, Kelvic or not. The winds were calm, and then I launched myself into the sky, flapping all the while. I rose up, and then the wind came... and knocked me right back down into the snow and ice," she shook her head. "I landed hard, and took most of the fall on my arm... and broke my wing. I had to walk home, but I was healed by a Konti who was staying in Avanthal... but I learned my lesson. Always know that the wind can change in moments, and if you're not prepared, it can hurt. But I'm sure Zulrav didn't mean to break my wing. He just taught me a good lesson, and it was better that I learned it at home than far away from it, right?" she turned that big, enormous smile on again, grinning from ear to ear.

"But flying without him... it wouldn't be very fun. When we fly, you see, we get height from the winds that blow up. I can show you? I can carry you," she offered, her eyes a pleased sapphire. She'd only just met Nya, but was already thrilled at the prospect of carrying a new friend and showing her the skies. Even if they just flew around here. She was well big enough to handle a rider. She had before, after all, and it didn't cause her any undue stress, either. Although she'd given Kylia an earful when she'd pulled out some of the lush down feathers - that had hurt, but most people were a good deal more careful, or, at least, Avi hoped they were.

"My parents didn't send me out, not quite... they just encouraged me to explore," she explained. "Taldera, mainly, from the northern reaches to the south, and all across it," she spread her hands and arms wide before taking some more of the fish and swallowing another chunk without apparently chewing it. The fish was steadily disappearing from Avi's constant nibbling. "They knew that they had to slip the jesses some time... and hoped I would find a bondmate that way, if I didn't find one amongst our people back at home." When Nya offered to let her stay in the cave, her eyes had gone from sapphire to a glowing ruby. "Really?" she beamed. "I would love to - to stay with you, to see Syliras, and to show you Avanthal and Taldera. You are a Talderian Forest Cat, yes?" she grinned. "And very big. He can ride you, or I could try to carry both. I've never tried that before," she mused. It would be a challenge, but like her bottomless pit of a stomach, ready to conquer any meal at any hour of the day or night, Avi was totally up for trying.
Avi
Player

Words: 63591
Joined roleplay: October 21st, 2009, 12:35 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Nya Winters on February 14th, 2010, 7:18 am

Nya listened closely. Her heart went out to Avi in a way that perhaps only another kelvic could understand. She too had been a surprise, and not a pleasant one at that. Nya tilted her head and made a soft noise in sympathy. "I understand being a surprise, but I can't help but be jealous that you have a brother and sisters. I've always wanted playmates, but there's not ever been anyone around. I never grew up playing really." Sadness filled her suddenly, and even as she looked at Avi and thought about the owl's situation, she knew it couldn't have been easy. Nya enjoyed listening to Avi talk and drank in the other girls pleasant friendly attitude. It was so... so very nice to find another female that liked to chatter as much as Nya didn't. The Forest Cat grew up by herself, without a big family, with her parents often occupied. She prowled long hours and spent a great deal of time alone.

But she didn't like being a loner. Not really.

Avi seemed to flow in and out of conversation, taking control and filling the space that could have been awkward between them with words. And when the talk turned from siblings to gods, it went easier for Nya. Zulrav was an easy master to speak of. "I believe he really cares about people, whether they realize it or not. His winds can thin people out when they start to damage themselves and the land too. I have no greater respect for a god than I do for Zulrav." Nya said softly, slightly overwhelmed by Avi's ability to hold a conversation.

Avi's next question stunned Nya. Secretly, because of her love of Zulrav, she'd always wanted to be a bird. Her feline nature had shocked not only her parents but herself and she resented it sometimes more than she cared to admit even to herself. "I... fly with you? You'd take me flying?" Nya was almost speechless. "I'd love to fly with you." She said softly, growing even more quiet than normal.

"How about we overfly Syliras and I show you the city and the places in the cobalt I know... I don't know if I can leave for Avanthal so quickly or even see Taldera. I just recently bonded and I want to stay close to my bondmate until things .... well until we talk about things. I have some secrets from him... things I haven't told him yet. I'm not sure how hes going to feel about them when I let him know. But I would like you to meet him... maybe stay with us a while."
Nya said softly, unsure if she'd even heard Avi correctly.

"My parents did send me away. Forest cats have viscous heat cycles and it was hard on my father until my mother could adjust herbs she gave me. I bet learning to fly is a lot harder than growing into your own skin as a cat. I can't help but admire you for that... we were both lucky, Avi... to have parents that understood us and loved us. I don't think you will have a problem finding a bondmate either. I never thought I'd find mine, but he just happened across my path when I was no longer expecting him. I am very large in my forest cat guise, but I do not think he'd ride me in all seriousness. He has a horse and he trusts that horse. Plus somehow I think he feels it demeans me somehow to bear his weight. He doesn't understand how pleasant it would be, how proud I would feel, to be his legs over long distances." Nya said gently. "Bondmate's are funny things. We expect them to be one way but in reality they have a mind of their own." She admitted, then stood up abruptly. "You sure you can carry me? I've always wanted to fly." She said... looking eager and at the same time trying not to be.
Nya Winters
Let the winds in my heart blow...

Words: 784686
Joined roleplay: June 7th, 2009, 6:53 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Trailblazer (1) Never Say Die (1)
Donor (1) 2017 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2017 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Postby Avi on February 16th, 2010, 4:30 am

Avi, sometimes, was absolutely convinced she was part parrot. Once she was comfortable with someone, she was perfectly happy to talk to them. About just about everything and anything. The trick, she felt, was knowing when to be quiet. That was harder. Words came from her like water, sometimes. Besides, this was the perfect opportunity to practice - the more she practiced her Common, the better she would be at it. If she messed up, she wasn't sure Nya would mind. Animals didn't necessarily need words to communicate.

She would, she decided, show Nya her siblings when she dragged her out to Avanthal, and one way or another, and Nya could see what siblings were like. They'd probably climb all over her, if Nya allowed them to it. She brightened as Nya told her what Avi was hoping she would - that she would like to fly with her. Flying was such a huge deal to Avi - it was part of her, now and not flying wasn't something she could ever imagine any more. It had taken her a while to learn how to use her wings, and how to navigate the skies... but she loved it. She lived for it. There was a freedom to the air that the ground didn't have, that Avi found as natural as the air she breathed. "I'd love for you to fly with me, and that would be very fun. I would like to see things that way, first, than on foot. I find it easier then, once I'm on the ground," she explained. "They're not going to get too anxious in the city, are they? About a big bird flying overhead?" she beamed at her over the fish as Avi slid her fingers through another chunk, flaking the fish with her fingers and sending a couple of bones into the foliage around them. Her eyes were a bright amber-orange, they got brighter still when Nya told her she would like her to meet her bondmate. That, Avi knew... was just phenomenal. Kelvics were fiercely protective of their bondmates, and some simply did not want another Kelvic near them, if they ever came across them. And to be invited to stay...! She was thrilled to the core.

She swallowed the piece of fish without chewing it. "I'd be glad to," she beamed at the dark-haired beauty across from her. "Even if you can't come to Avanthal and Taldera right away, one day, you will, and I'll show you my family." And when she found a bondmate, she had a feeling Nya would be right there with her. "But you're right. I don't think they understand what it means to us to be able to do things like that for them. I'd carry mine from one end of Mizahar to the other, if they wanted to see it." She liked to explore things, and Avi loved to travel. By now, there was very little left of the salmon that Avi had caught, and she was more or less content with how much she had eaten. And Nya had said she didn't want any...

When Nya stood up, Avi got to her feet and stretched, her arms going over her head before out to her sides, her bag hanging from her shoulders under her long, loosely-flowing black hair. "I'll shift," she explained to Nya, "and then just climb on. You should be able to get your feet in the straps of my backpack," she tossed her hair, hooking her thumbs in the wide straps and pulling a little at them to show her. "Kind of like stirrups. You can put your knees under my wings if you like, too, or whatever makes you most comfortable. Then you can just put your arms around my neck and hang on. Just tell me when you're ready to fly and which way to go," Avi grinned from ear to ear at her before becoming the Owl once more, perched on the mossy, wooden forest floor. She ruffled her feathers and then smoothed them, black and glossy in the night as amber-gold eyes watched her with excited anticipation.

As soon as Nya was ready, she lowered her body just a little, the enormous wings flaring as she seemed to hop a little, and pushed them into the sky. The beginning ascent wasn't as smooth as Avi would have liked, but when you were starting from the ground... She took Nya up over the trees, then, flying lazily as they gained altitude still, and let the other Kelvic be her guide as the cool air rushed around them.
Avi
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Nya Winters on March 4th, 2010, 6:50 pm

"Someday, when I get something done I promised to do for someone, I'd very much like to go meet your family, Avi." Nya said, smiling. "I'd like to see the lights of the northern sky too. I have heard they are spectacular. My mother visited Avanthal once before I was born seeking knowledge about her Kelvic bond. She spoke highly of Morwen and said the skies there are phenomenal at night. I've always wanted to see them." She said.

It sounded like a grand adventure, both Avi's plans and the promised flight. Nya had always wondered why she was a forest cat and not a bird. Stormwardens would logically make better birds than big predators, but she felt like asking such questions were sometimes opening herself up to judging Zulrav and what his intentions were, and that was a place Nya didn't like to go. One couldn't know the Will of the Gods, not until someone was standing at the very end of their life looking backwards, at the very least. But opportunities came so rarely, and flying with Avi was indeed a rare one, so Nya didn't hesitate to climb on board.

She followed the larger Kelvics instructions carefully, settling on Avi's neck and grabbing a grip by holding her gently around the neck. Legs were dutifully hooked into the backpack straps and she nodded. "Okay I'm ready!" Nya said. And then they were in the air.

Nya had never felt a sensation like it. Even in her biggest leap, her most daring climb, she'd never left her stomach behind, almost lost her lunch, and regretted not telling Abashai goodbye that morning because she felt immediately and with certainty that death was eminent. As she hoped her bondmate wouldn't mourn her loss too much, she lost the ability to repress the urge to scream and unleashed a feral squall of fear that was such an intense sound a human should not have been able to make it. Nya clamped her eyes shut, redoubled her hold on Avi's neck, and began to shudder. It was dizzying, and the singularly most frightening thing that Nya had ever experienced. The forest cat has simply never been without something solid under her paws more more than a few seconds. And as the earth stretched away, becoming further and further from them, Nya felt an intense disconnect that was wholly unexpected.

It took her a long time to relax enough to lift her head and look around. It took her an even longer time to realize that breezes drifted all around her, whispering her name, teasing her, luring her away from her fear. Slowly, she straightened, relaxed and looked around so their voices came into sharp clarity - happy and unfraid. It made Nya's ability to relax even easier. The forest cat still thought she was going to fall. She was still terrified. But at least she was straightened out, and looking around, even though she felt like all she wanted to do was beg Avi to take them down again.

Flying.... was not so easy.
Nya Winters

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Avi on March 9th, 2010, 2:35 am

Avi didn't blame her for being a little anxious at the somewhat rough takeoff. She would have been, too, if she wasn't used to flying, or, indeed, being up so high. It had taken time for her to get used to the height and flying, too. It wasn't an easy adjustment - Avi could sympathize with her. The dizzying heights were both thrilling and terrifying all at once to the uninitiated, particularly considering the fact that while Avi was confident in her own skills and Nya's holding, Nya may not have felt quite so secure. The night air was cold on Nya's exposed flesh, but with her grip on the ow, plenty of her limbs were tucked in against fluffy down feathers, and between them and Avi's own body warmth, it helped to mitigate the chill.

Soon enough they were high above the treeline, and just soared. She was no longer flapping, just gliding along. Avi's enormous expanse of black-feathered wings were on either side of Nya, outstretched and sturdy, angling ever so slightly every now and then to adjust to the air currents to keep them level. Nya's weight and grip were perfectly bearable, more than, really - Nya wasn't particularly heavy. Avi had carried heavier, much heavier, in her feet and on her back. She was intimately aware of every move Nya made, every adjustment of her grip, every minuscule shifting of her weight. Sometimes she thought a saddle or a harness might be useful to find and get a hold of... annoying to carry, but still.

But at the squall, though, Avi tilted her head back a little so that she could see Nya, checking on her with a gold-amber eye before turning her head back and beginning to make what were admittedly almost funny sounds. They were crooning noises, like a mother would make to a nervous chick. There, there, she seemed to be saying. She had her. She was there. It was okay. She wouldn't fall. Just breathe, and feel the air around her. She had her. It was okay. She was there. They were in it together. It was okay. She crooned and clucked and chirped and almost gurgled, reassuring and calming as best as she could. It was okay. Once she stopped being scared, she would love it. Where the forest floor was home to Nya, these skies were Avi's pathways, the endless horizons that stretched before and around them.

The view from the sky, with the moon and the stars, was so different from anything Nya had seen, even as Avi began to angle upwards even more, her wings beating powerfully a few times to gain altitude. In the distance, they could see Syliras, and it was in that direction that the owl went, the stars shining. Both predators, fur and feathered, were used to the dark. But Syliras in all its beauty stood out, a diamond in the rough. Avi looked at it with interest - she had heard so much about it, and crooned a question - explain?

She wanted to know about Syliras!
Avi
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Nya Winters on March 18th, 2010, 3:32 pm

Avi was right. Flying was spectacular. It was so much better when they were done with the majority of the flapping and were simply gliding on the thermals that were so common among the Cobalts. She could see the Cobalt River spilling out of the mountains and twisting its way to the sea on the fringe of Stormhold Castle. Now that Avi was doing less climbing and more gentle circling in the direction of Stormhold, Nya was able to both speak and retain her breakfast.

"That's the Cobalt River. It flows from up higher in the mountains to the sea next to the castle. Stormhold is what the castle is called. They built it first, around a tree that was growing on the edge of the cliffs. A magical tree. So they put a wall around it and called it a courtyard, then a castle around that wall, then bigger walls around the castle. They called it a city of peace. And everyone lives in the castle if they want... which seems strange because my mother has said in times past only the very wealthy, noble, or important lived in castles. Everyone else lived outside in rather bad conditions.... or in wooden houses." She added as they slowly made their way to Syliras. "All the walls together are called Syliras. There's people that live outside the castle, but most of them work or own businesses that aren't suitable to be in the castle.. like potters, masons, that sort of thing." Nya commented, then suddenly looke ddown and to the right.

"See that stone outcropping? There's a cave at its base. That's where I live. All that forest from that case upwards to the steep part of the mountain and downwards to the road is my territory. I patrol and defend it daily.... at least I do when we aren't staying in the city. Sometimes we get a wall in the city at a place called Traveler's Row. We get that when we are busy with something in the city or don't want to go back and forth from the cave so much."
She added, thoughtfully, unhappy once more suddenly. "We will have to leave it in the spring. I'm going to miss it. A lot." She added.
Nya Winters

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Avi on April 13th, 2010, 5:49 pm

She kept making the soothing crooning sounds until Nya started to speak, and then the other Kelvic was all too happy to hush and listen as Nya spoke. The owl checked out the ground below, watching with interest, listening intently. She was pleased to hear about the Cobalt – she had followed it down here. Well, at least part of it, anyway. She made a questioning croak at the very mention of a magic tree. That sounded great! Avi knew a good story in the making when she heard it, and, well, there was no way that a magic tree was not a fantastic story. And she would be able to bring it back to her family. That was part of why she traveled, after all - there were so many stories to be had, and someone had to bring them back and tell them again. How else would they find out anything otherwise? Someone had to bring back all of these stories.

Avi found it deeply interesting that everyone lived in the castle. She couldn't imagine everyone living in Morwen's Ice Palace, after all - and Avanthal was definitely smaller than Syliras, surely. She knew enough from stories that Syliras was likely the most populated city on Mizahar - no one really knew much about Falyndar, or who lived in it (though Avi intended to one day find out) - but that almost everyone lived in the castle? Well, maybe that would make more sense when she saw it. She could land them later and go look.

She noted the position of the cave, sharp eyes taking in the details so she would know how and where to find it again. She would have taken a sharp dive down, but Avi figured Nya wasn't quite ready for that yet - no need to frighten her and kill the both of them, now, was there? So she circled slowly at a gentle angle, adjusting her wings just a bit. She let out an impressed sound at the breadth of the territory Nya had staked. Very nice indeed. Avi wouldn't want to leave it very much to go sit in the city... but, well, Nya had a bondmate. Therefore it was different. At Nya's unhappy tone, Avi made a questioning quarky sound once more. Why was she leaving?! Avi had only just got here!
Avi
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Nya Winters on April 20th, 2010, 4:21 pm

Flying wasn't so bad after you got used to the sudden climb and sudden drops, plus all the swooping and diving and flapping of wings. Nya's senses were slightly on overload. But since Avi was in bird form, she couldn't talk, Nya decided to talk for her... if she could hear her from her back.

"I had the territory before I had the bondmate. He's... not what I expected. I'm not sure why he is the way he is, but I'm learning patience from him. He is a just and righteous man. I didn't pick him exactly - we just bonded suddenly, fiercely - it wasn't what I expected at all. He keeps me at arms length and won't even bathe with me. I really like him, his stories, his thoughts... even his values. But somehow I feel like being a kelvic means I will never be anything more to him than a companion. I think thats it... he treats me like a child!"
Nya said suddenly, realizing she had both a captive audience and a creature that was so like her that perhaps she could understand. "It frustrates me. I do not want to be a child to him. I want to be something more." The forest cat added.

Avi, however, being separated from the situation could see both sides clearly. Kelvics grew up fast and never considered themselves young. And yet looking at Nya from a human perspective, she was young. Avi had grown to maturity among people and family so she knew the signs and what she was seeing. Age had no bearing on kelvics, but it did on humans. Nya wouldn't see it, growing up an only child with no normal brothers and sisters. But it was there, none the less. Shai was only doing what was right according to his society values. And it was probably half killing him to do so. But Nya wouldn't realize that either.

Eventually the forest cat tugged on Avi's feathers and indicated the city in the distance. "Shall we land and go explore?" She asked... knowing anywhere along the Kabrin road was a good choice for Avi's descent.
Nya Winters

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Avi on April 26th, 2010, 5:45 am

Avi could hear Nya perfectly, and listened intently as Nya spoke to her, her eyes occasionally flicking backwards as she listened, though the Kelvic's attention swept around and about and below them as well. She was new here - she didn't know just what sort of predators she should be watching for, be they giant birds like her, hordes of dire bats, or anything else. The sky was a whole different place from the ground, and Avi wasn't sure just how well Nya's keen senses would work with the rush of air all around them, and it was her first time up... just as Avi wasn't quite as good on the ground as she was in the sky. Earth and air were very different things.

She puzzled over Nya's words about her bondmate. Upon hearing that he wouldn't even bathe with Nya brought out an affronted croak from the owl - how could he not? Nya was lovely! They were bonded! That was as close as one could possibly get in this life to another person, and he was keeping her cut out of aspects of her life. But still, Avi had grown up with her people, and had learned a tremendous amount in the process about how people and society worked, and, well, by her culture, what Nya's bondmate was doing was the right thing to do, even if Nya wouldn't react well to Avi telling her that. Not that she was able to, anyway. But she made a disapproving sound regardless. But hearing this made her only the more certain that when she thought she had found her bondmate, it would be on her terms - that she would be able to share their lives entirely. Some Kelvics didn't... and their bondmate decided, really, just how intertwined they became. Avi, however, did not share.

Not something as important as that.

At the suggestion they land and explore on foot, Avi made an assenting crooning sound, and angled her wings, starting the descent, diving down along the road. The speed was sudden, yet Nya knew Avi had it all under control as she swept over the broad path of the Kabrin road, eventually slowing down, and then Nya found herself on the back of the naked young woman as Avi grinned up at her before letting her slide down onto solid ground. "We need to do that again," she was delighted as she opened her bag, sifting through her belongings, pulling out some fur-lined garments. "Do you want my cloak for now?" She offered her the black cloak with the decorated stitching. She wasn't sure just how much of her own clothing would fit the other. There was that human obsession with wearing clothes, after all, and Avi supposed that it was universal... so they might as well clothe themselves to visit within hte walls.
Avi
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Previous