[Flashback] Study Of People. [Training Thread]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Postby Koh on April 25th, 2010, 8:06 pm

Laying, curled up around the branch of the tree, fully content with the days meal, I thought upon the times long since passed, my days in the port of Zeltiva. Oh those were the days, care free, watching life pass me by from sun rise to sun set. Able to study the works of so many other races without worrying of their fear of me, safe in my container. I was such a cute little kid. Haha, at least in my opinion anyways.
Last edited by Koh on April 25th, 2010, 9:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Koh
Player

Words: 19676
Joined roleplay: April 25th, 2010, 1:11 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet

Postby Koh on April 25th, 2010, 8:13 pm

YEAR: 404 AV SPRING
INTELLIGENCE

Once more, the world lit up. The doors opening once more to the world outside. Yet still I traveled not on my own, placed within a clear container, I traveled in the hands of a creature with two upper and lower ligaments. Each day he would do this same routine, placing me out on display before the public, side by side with his collection of antique and rarity. I paid little mind to this most days, having been fed many mice by the hands of this man. However, this day felt different, as though in this world so similar to the days before, a new world opened up.

For the many seasons with this person, I have watched a number of creatures much similar to him pass by. Some seemed much warmer then the others, some of different sizes and shape. I watched each of these people pass by, each holding more form then the last, chattering amongst themselves. Every day they spoke, some with different tones, and others with only subtle differences in their vocal ranges. Upon this, I pondered, wondering how they went about communicating to eachother in such ways.

From my container I continued to watch, and noticed many different actions taken by the nearby creatures. As one were to offer unto the other an item, their hands may gesture, waving it off, or accepting it gracefully. This brought about a thought, making me wonder if I too should adapt to using such a method. I felt my container shift once more, my caretaker holding me up to a passing person, speaking out to them, "Good Sir! Would you not want such a fine pet snake?" before the passing person gestured the similar motions of before.

This brought but another process of thought. Was I too one of the items offered to others? Was I to be given to another person without so much as a right? Why would they do such a thing though? Unless of course that was their methods. Their offering of items back and forth, to gain in order to gain. What gains were to be offered to my caretaker in exchange for me though. Was I actually of little value to him? But in that case, why would he bother taking care of me so well, so often. Then I understood. He took care of me, so that he could trade me off for another thing.

I was unsure as to how to cope with this idea, and after but a few rings of a bell, simply gave up, unable to start otherwise. Instead, I continued my study of other things. The ones that passed by, continued on with their daily lives as I basked in the sun's light, speaking with eachother in the same language as before. It was such a curious thing to me, having little to do anymore, all I wanted now was to study them. One of the smaller ones came towards us at a point in the day, holding her hand towards my cage. My world shifted once more, feeling my caretaker pull me out, my head hitting part of my little home as he did.

This annoyed me, but then I felt a second hand. The little one had taken me in her hand, which radiated with a comforting warmth. Curious, I coiled around it, absorbing what heat I could while watching what I believed her head. She made a repeating sound, which according to observations was a sign of something being found as funny. I suppose she found that I was funny? I saw her other hand closing in, which made me back away a bit, unsure what she was doing. Suddenly I felt her hand make contact with the upper portion of my body, stroking it downward towards my tail.

I did not mind this much, but then felt incredibly uncomfortable when she moved her hand in the opposite direction, my scales being pushed by an unwanted force. It made me move fast, slipping around her other arm trying to get around her. I dug my way through her sleeve and found myself quickly blinded by the warmth coming from all directions. I moved even more frantically from here, unsure where I was going for a moment before finally popping out from the other sleeve, her laughing causing her entire body to shake.

I suddenly found a familiar hand grasping me, returning me to my container, "Alright little one. You should return home before your mom worries." The caretaker speaking once more, making further contact with her. After the experience, I found myself craving a further understanding of people. The day passed quick, night finally cooling our surroundings, my caretaker once more returning me inside his abode. That night, I slept well, dreaming of being one of the people here, making such similar interactions.

As I woke up, I looked around anxious as ever, wanting my caretaker to take me out once more so I could continue studying people. Perhaps he noticed this when he came towards me, and took out the body of another mouse killed just this morning. As he placed it in my container he watched to see if I would eat. I was unable to eat however, still needing time to digest the previous meal fed to me. After my study of the humans from before, I tried something new, facing my body towards him as he watched. With my tail I waved, and shook my head at the same time.

I could hear him gasp in amazement which took me by surprise as well, not thinking it so great a deal. Quickly he took the mouse out, hanging its body before me, pointing at it. Once more I shook, hoping I was doing this right. I suppose I was, since he disposed of the mouse quickly, sounding excited over whatever reason. Once more our routine continued, taking me outside in the sun, but this time he was even louder as he spoke out to the people passing by. I felt as though I made a mistake copying the gestures of people.

It was a long day, my caretaker knowing no ends, continually offering me food as people watched in their own curious nature. Believing I knew what the man wanted from me, I continued refusing the food in the same way that I had this morning. It continued like that all day, my only salvation for break being the little person who came just yesterday that held me. My time with her was nice, being able to watch how she reacted towards my motions. There was one frightening moment, when she lowered her head towards mine. I was worried she was going to bite my head off but instead, I felt a warmth similar to that of her arms, only slightly moister touch the top of my head.

It carried on like this for another few days before finally my food had passed. The crowd that came this time, wanting to see the snake that would refuse food stared a moment as I was offered a mouse by my caretaker. This time I could not refuse, feeling my stomach to be empty, deep in thought of what I remembered. I remembered how some of the people moved as they refused something, and then after a minute remembered how they gestured yes to accept it. I had to try, quickly pushing up my head high to be seen.

After a second I bobbed, up and down, trying to accept the food. My caretaker gasped at this, as some applauded the action, finding such interest in the show of if I was hungry or not. I still felt somewhat annoyed at this, but still would not complain, my meal being dropped in through the top. After that, the crowd disappeared, having their own fill of the show and taking their leave. Things were very quiet that day, once more, something to highlight the day being the little person who has now visited me for the third time in a row. This was very pleasing, being able to visit with her, even with a full stomach.

OVERVIEW

With a desire to understand the world around him, the young snake focused entirely upon the gestures of humans of many shapes and sizes, taking notice in their differences and understanding similarities such as gestures. Using this, our young snake friend found himself communicating with humans in a simple form of body movement.

FINISHED
GRADED
Last edited by Koh on April 26th, 2010, 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Koh
Player

Words: 19676
Joined roleplay: April 25th, 2010, 1:11 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet

Postby Liminal on April 26th, 2010, 3:50 pm

+1 XP Anthropology. Nice read!
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris

Words: 256313
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2009, 7:09 am
Blog: View Blog (3)
Race: Staff account
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)