Sword Searching (Clyde)

Rezren attempts to track down the petty thieves who stole his sword.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Sword Searching (Clyde)

Postby Rezren on June 29th, 2012, 3:38 am

The jabs at his competence cut into his pride, but Rezren bit his tongue. There were truths in the blunt words. He knew that he should take the criticism to heart instead of tearing it out of his mind like a thorn. The mage certainly left him with little will to offer any opposition. By being indebted to the mage, he could potentially gain an invaluable asset. Rezren could acquire an ally whose power surpassed anyone he could conceive fighting against in the near future.

Serving his stranger would also give him a nice sense of purpose. Strangely, the bestowing of debts gave him a sense of duty that felt comforting. Offering his service to his savior seemed to create an honorable pact between the two men. Rezren acknowledged he was grossly romanticizing their new relationship, but sometimes it was nice to buy into a little stretching of truths.

Rezren pondered the name offered by the stranger. Clyde wasn’t a particularly unique name, which bothered the mercenary as it made hunting down information about him a more laborious task. Also, Clyde had omitted his last name whether due to a lack of trust, interest, or formality. Rezren would have to settle for the information of Clyde’s first name and affinity towards magical pursuits. In return, Clyde would know Rezren’s first name and place of residence. From a purely informational perspective, the situation had turned out rather well. He explained to the mage exactly where his apartment was located and added that he would be free to aid Clyde anytime.

The mercenary would have inquired the mage’s place of residence but stopped himself once he realized Clyde would divulge the information if he wanted to. Rezren wasn’t there to ask questions. The nature of their relationship left him to serve and listen. Despite all that, he managed to replace the lost pride in himself with a new pride of purpose and worth. He was determined now to show Clyde that he was worth being saved.

Rezren looked up into the sky for a few moments and took in the vastness it presented. The stars shone down upon him. He felt like he belonged in Ravok. He believed that the run in with Clyde was very possibly more than mere coincidence. What were the chances that the stranger ended up being so incredibly able? Rezren wanted to ask so many questions, but he couldn’t quite find the courage to ask them. With his shield on his back and sword haphazardly slipped through his belt, he was ready to go, given that Clyde had no requests.

“So, I’m guessing you don’t have much use for me tonight. I’d walk you home, but I’m sure you wouldn’t require that of me,” Rezren gave a glance. It was half an act. He was intimidated by Clyde, but he could have taken steps to mask it. Having Clyde be certain of Rezren’s reverence would be beneficial to their relationship.

Rezren
Player

Words: 48037
Joined roleplay: June 25th, 2012, 3:09 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

Sword Searching (Clyde)

Postby Persona on July 9th, 2012, 2:01 am

Thread Award!

Rezren:

Skills:
Philosophy 1
Observation 2
Shield 2
Subterfuge 1
Weapon: Scabbard 1
Weapon: Short Sword 1
Negotiation 1
Investigation 1

Lores:
Clyde: A Powerful Mage
I Owe Clyde My Life
Near-Death Experience
Justifying One's Actions
Taking a Man’s Life

Extras:
Black Eye - there will be purple bruising around your eye for 10 days, then it will be yellow for 5 more days. It will stop hurting 5 days after that.
Ledger: -4 GM

You never actually purchased the scabbard. Since you are under 50 posts, instead of penalizing you, I’m having you deduct the cost of the scabbard from your ledger, so that you may use it in thread. Please update your ledger. If you would like to retrieve the remains of your scabbard in light of this, I will allow you to add “Scabbard: Badly Damaged” to your possessions list. Otherwise, just remove the cost from your ledger.

Additional Notes :
Keep a Thread List
It’s a good idea to add all of your ongoing threads to your thread list. Having a thread list be not fully updated may delay you receiving grades in the future. :)

Show, Don’t Tell.
There were several skill points I wanted to award, but there was not enough detail to warrant them. To give an example, in your first post you write:
While fending off serious damage using his limited hand-to-hand combat knowledge, he soaked in every detail he could about his assailants. Their voices, clothing, faces, and even their smell were imprinted into his mind. Small things like accents, posture, and gait were noticed and remembered.

This is telling what you’re trying to do, but not giving the reader anything to really imagine. You fend off the attackers, but how? Are you throwing punches? Blocking punches thrown at your face? If you get hit, where and how hard? You memorize details about the attackers, but what are the details? Were the voices high- or low-pitched? Nasally or gravelly? I could go on, but I think you get the picture. You get a little better as the thread goes on, but if you want to try to get more points out of this, you can edit your posts, and re-submit the thread. Otherwise, just try to paint a little more detail in the future. :)

Clyde Sullins:

Skills:
Reimancy 2
Intimidation 1
Intelligence 1
Interrogation 1

Lores:
Rezren Owes Me His Life

Notes:
Welcome to Mizahar, Rezren. And Clyde, grats on the new person-to-do-your-bidding. ;) PM me with questions or concerns, etc.
Persona
The Wildcard

Words: 41121
Joined roleplay: June 17th, 2012, 9:59 pm
Race: Staff account
Office

Previous