[Quest] Wisdom of the Ancestors (Kaeson)

The past can be surprising.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Postby Paragon on July 12th, 2012, 8:42 pm

Wisdom

of the Ancestors

Timestamp: 60th of Summer, 512 AV

It started with a goblet. A simple drinking vessel, yet so beautiful. Twin swords crossed on its surface, and embossed leaves wound their way round the cup. When Kaeson heard the knock at his door, he was surprised to find no one waiting on the other side. Only the cup, sitting there as if it had been waiting.

He would quickly recognise the goblet, since it had been his grandmothers. A student of this very University. It would come as a shock, surely, so many years after her death to see her belongings so suddenly.

The goblet was free for him to pick up and examine, but he would be left questioning as to where it had come from. It could not have appeared alone, and so someone must have left it after knocking on the door. It had not been long ago, so perhaps the person was still nearby. Or perhaps the goblet itself would hold a clue.

Either way, Kaeson would be left thoroughly confused and shell shocked, the object evoking memories of his childhood in Syliras.
Paragon
The Gordian Knot

Words: 448583
Joined roleplay: December 1st, 2011, 8:55 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Kaeson Dakano on July 16th, 2012, 9:48 pm

Kaeson awoke with a start, a loud knocking noise coming from the door. "Coming," Kaeson yelled, grumbling about how early it was. Opening the door, Kaeson was surprised and annoyed to find no one at the door. Closing the door, he was surprised to find a small goblet in the way.

Kaeson reached down for the goblet.

The silver goblet felt familiar in the young man's hands; the delicately embossed leaves beautify adorned the otherwise simple drinking vessel, the leaves so expertly carved in their design. Twin swords stood in stark contrast to the leaves, boldly crossed on the goblet's surface. Kaeson slowly explored the silver moldings with his fingers, wondering why the goblet seemed so familiar.

Slowly, tracing his fingers over the delicate designs, Kaeson's eye's widened. He did know this cup.
"Gran! Granny! Look at me, look at me!" screamed a small boy, quickly running around a small apartment; wooden broom between his legs and a silver goblet atop his head. The young boy, hand holding the small goblet in place, quickly made his way to a laughing woman.
The woman, appearing to be around 50 years of age, smiled lovingly at the young boy. Wrinkles adorned the kind face, showing around the woman's eyes and mouth. Grey was beginning to stain the woman's black hair, carelessly tied back.
Laughing, the woman reached out to the small boy, arms quickly wrapping around the child.

The loud clink of hard metal against stone immediately brought Kaeson back. Quickly picking the goblet up, Kaeson quickly checked the silver drinking vessel for any sign of damage or clue -- if he didn't find anything, Kaeson would then venture out into the halls, looking for any sign of the person who left the goblet.
Kaeson Dakano
Witchin' Wizard

Words: 120420
Joined roleplay: April 26th, 2012, 7:32 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Paragon on July 23rd, 2012, 11:59 pm

The goblet itself was unblemished, as if it had been placed at Kaeson's door with care. Noting its sanctity, he plucked it up with his hands, and ventured out into the hallway.

There was no one in the immediate vicinity, but of course, they would have gotten further by now. The Living Quarters were a warren of corridors, rooms, and stairwells.

Kaeson went left, and heard footsteps hammering down the nearest footwell. Rushing to the bannister, he leaned over to see a small, impish figure swinging round the final turn of the stairs, rushing towards the door.

For just a moment, the figure flicked their head upwards to see Kaeson watching from above. It was a girl, around the same age as Kaeson, with a short, boyish haircut. There was a flicker in her eyes, and then she was gone.

Kaeson would be left in no doubt that this was the person who had placed his grandmother's goblet at his door.
Paragon
The Gordian Knot

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Kaeson Dakano on July 24th, 2012, 10:13 pm

Finding the goblet unmarked, Kaeson looked out into the corridor. "Empty," he whispered to himself, although he couldn't say that surprised him. The Living Quarters were a huge part of the university, there were a thousand and one places for his mystery person to hide. There were hundreds of rooms, not to mention the never ending maze of corridors and stairwells.

Kaeson briefly retreated back to his own dorm, quick to dress himself and grab Volos. Kaeson ventured out into the hallway, the animated scarf wrapped around his waist.

The young animator already knew turning right would lead to a dead end, so he made his way towards the left of the corridor.

Hearing footsteps, Kaeson ran towards the sudden noise. Reaching a bannister, Kaeson caught a lithe figure making the final turn around of the stairwell. The figure suddenly flicked their head up towards Kaeson upon reaching the door, revealing the face of a girl, around the same age as Kaeson. The girl had impish features, her hair cut to a boyish length. A small flicker flashed in her eyes, and then she was gone.

"It's her," Kaeson thought to himself, momentarily stunned at the shock of finding the culprit so quickly. A thousand questions burned in his mind, itching for answers, Kaeson raced down the stairs. "Hey! HEY!" he called out, desperate to get her attention.
Kaeson Dakano
Witchin' Wizard

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Paragon on July 28th, 2012, 6:11 pm

With the fringes of the animated scarf billowing from his waist, Kaeson made for the stairwell. He caught sight of the girl, and knew what was going on in an instant.

As he shouted after her, he'd be forgiven in thinking she had made a break for it. But as he burst out into the Summer streets of Zeltiva, he nearly stumbled upon the girl. Tripping, but catching his balance, he found himself looking at her squarely.

She had her hands on her hips, stance almost in mock anger. There was still a twinkle of mischief about her.

"You know...." she suddenly said, smiling wanly at him, "you should really look where you're going in future."

Beyond the living quarters was a small yard for recreation and relaxation. Here, there was nowhere to hide. But it seemed, for now at least, the girl didn't intend to run.
Paragon
The Gordian Knot

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Kaeson Dakano on August 2nd, 2012, 10:08 pm

"Oh, yeah. Of course," Kaeson curtly responded, "Next time I find myself after a thief, I'll be sure to be more careful. Wouldn't want to hurt myself or anything," Kaeson added, voice dripping with sarcasm.

The shock of finding his grandmother's goblet and the mystery girl had all faded, replaced by anger and a burning curiosty. Who was this girl? How did she end up with his grandmother's goblet? And why the PETCH was she smiling at him? "Why -- why are you so calm? I caught you -- shouldn't you be trying to escape? Or something?" He asked, his violet eyes bursting with a curious blue. Kaeson hadn't expecting it to be this easy to catch the girl with the impish smile, but there really wasn't anywhere to run here. They were in one of the smaller courtyards that decorated the university grounds. Aside a few benches and some trees, there were very few places for the girl to hide.

Maybe that's why she stopped running?

"And how did you get this? I was supposed to have this --," Kaeson paused, his eyes growing wide as an idea popped into his head. "Were you...trying to return it? How did you know where I was?" Kaeson asked, now even more confused then he was before. Despite having just called the girl a thief, he now realized how stupid an accusation it was; what kind of thief returns what they stole?

"Who are you?"
Kaeson Dakano
Witchin' Wizard

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Paragon on August 14th, 2012, 10:24 pm

OOCI'm so, so sorry this has taken so long. I'll fess up and admit this thread completely slipped under my radar. Future replies should be much quicker, sorry again for the delay!

The girl looked at him with a raised eyebrow, before shaking her head almost disbelievingly.

"Why would I want to escape? Sure, I left in a hurry, but I can make time if you want it."

She began to pace, in small circles. She seemed somewhat of a loose cannon. She was a girl who couldn't be tamed, and her short hair was only the first hint that she was seemingly a rebel of kind.

When Kaeson pondered on the idea that the girl could have been returning the goblet, she beamed at him, pointing a finger towards his face.

"You got it," she said wryly. "Now... you need to slow down a little. I can't tell you everything just now. But I know who this goblet belonged to, and I know people that remember that person very well."

She pointed to herself, exaggerating the moment.

"My name's Kat," she began, before suddenly narrowing her eyes at Kaeson. "Say... are you the curious type? What kind of things are you into?"

Whimsical was not the word...
Paragon
The Gordian Knot

Office
Scrapbook