Player vs. Player

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to post all your Mizahar related discussions here.

Re: Player vs. Player

Postby Sturlin on March 22nd, 2010, 2:24 am

Several of these topics have been covered by people far more experienced than myself, but I thought i'd add my opinion.

PvP: The reason that I have gone years without free-form rp. In my experience, free-form rp is usually useless and frustrating. I've never met a player who was mature enough not to god-mod, and when PvP became popular on a site then no character was safe.

Having said that, this site is much, much different than any other 'free-form' type roleplay site i've seen. While writing skill does not necessarily equate to maturity, I think the format of this website discourages the participation of immature players and godmodders in general. (Of course, I do have say that discouraging is not the same as prohibiting entirely).

I think that if we want to have a good player versus player experience for all involved we should include some or all of the following:

Players should always have the option of asking for a moderator, and pausing the scene until a moderator is available. Let's face it, we don't always want to kill our best friends. Occasionally our character will piss off the character of someone that we only have passing familiarity with, and when you barely know someone you aren't exactly qualified to decide the fate of their 'baby' (as someone wisely put it) with impartiality.

A chat wide standard. Many will probably disagree with me on this one. Writers are artists, and nothing ******* off an artist more than limitations they dont agree with. Having said that I think that a general website standard for pvp is just as important as the standards for normal posting. Something I would suggest we include in this standard is the idea that you do not post the strike, but the attempt. Many other things could be put forward in the development thread, but I think it should be simple and not cumbersome. Easier said than done, which is why it would be best left to the minds of multiple players debating the pros and cons in development.

And finally I agree with Miharu Mindi in the statement that our actions should have consequences. I do want to take it a step further. It should be made clear that our actions have consequences in the wide world. At least until the current crop of 'toddler' characters become characters of epic scope and significance, a heavily pvp focused character should spend all of his 'killing free' time in fear of discovery.

Think about what would happen in this world if you killed ten, five, or even three players in two months. Soon, you wouldn't just be fighting players. The authorities would have descriptions of your character if you were careless, if you were blatant in your slaughter they might even have sketches. Criminals might flock to your banner (as was stated, i think, by the man with the unpronounceable name), and players (along with their npc friends and allies) would surely flock to oppose you.

You would have to be a powerful character indeed if you even wanted to avoid being on the run after such episodes. Even in a violent post-apocalyptic world, if you base your character around the killing of other people you will become a polarizing force. We don't want to discourage people from doing it, we don't want to force npc or player reactions, but we do want to maintain continuity within the story and the reactions of all the characters in our world when someone goes on a killing spree.

The key to power is focus

The key to focus is calm

The key to calm is peace

The key to peace is power
Sturlin
The Great Pretender

Words: 133806
Joined roleplay: March 14th, 2010, 5:19 am
Blog: View Blog (13)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Re: Player vs. Player

Postby Ke'sear on March 22nd, 2010, 4:51 pm

I have been watching this thread from the time I joined and everything ^^ you just said sums up my thoughts on the PVP situation. I think it is a pivitol part in any Multiplayer RP game. But on the other hand, there has to be consequences.
Ke'sear
Player

Words: 14566
Joined roleplay: March 19th, 2010, 1:37 am

Player vs. Player

Postby Tyuru on May 1st, 2010, 1:56 pm

Personally, I think everyone's kind of just repeating everything everyone else has already said.

...if that makes any sense at all.

I just think that everything that can be said about PvP combat has already been said, and that for a while everyone's been posting the same thing over and over... maybe we just need to write up a final list of PvP rules and post them on the wiki or something, because players who want to engage in combat probably can't be *rsed to read through this whole thread. It shouldn't be very hard to summarize, Mr (Unpronouncable) pretty much got it down on like the last page or so.

Eh, I hope I don't sound like I'm bossing anybody, I tend to sometimes sound like that... I don't mean to like, order people around. Not that I could. >.>

There's just nothing more to be said in my opinion because everyone's so brilliant they've pretty much gotten the rules of PvP down... so somebody should just write them up and get it over with, taking into account everything everyone has said.

Yeah, okay... I'm gonna go now... >.>
I apologise profusely to anybody who may have been in a roleplay with me that I kind of started ignoring or that I haven't been answering. I haven't been on Mizahar in the last couple of months (not by my own choice, though!!). I think Tyuru needs some major character revision because I have been completely insensitive to people who have actually been through what she's experienced. I'm taking some time out to make her character more realistic and less insulting. Sorry again, and thanks.
Tyuru
...with so many things to be, who can decide?

Words: 49876
Joined roleplay: April 11th, 2010, 4:00 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet

Player vs. Player

Postby Miharu Mindi on May 1st, 2010, 3:08 pm

That's probably why no one's said anything for over a month now. :P

And I am dreaming of them with their kill
Tearing it all apart
Blood dripping from their lips
And teeth sinking into heart
Miharu Mindi
Player

Words: 165248
Joined roleplay: March 14th, 2010, 7:08 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Donor (1)

Player vs. Player

Postby Tyuru on May 1st, 2010, 4:10 pm

Huh. I guess you're right. >.>
Wooooow. Yeah, okay, but I stand by the whole 'write up a list of this' thing, because it would save people a lot of time - just read the list instead of the reaaaally long posts. Or something.
I apologise profusely to anybody who may have been in a roleplay with me that I kind of started ignoring or that I haven't been answering. I haven't been on Mizahar in the last couple of months (not by my own choice, though!!). I think Tyuru needs some major character revision because I have been completely insensitive to people who have actually been through what she's experienced. I'm taking some time out to make her character more realistic and less insulting. Sorry again, and thanks.
Tyuru
...with so many things to be, who can decide?

Words: 49876
Joined roleplay: April 11th, 2010, 4:00 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet

Player vs. Player

Postby John Vicari on May 3rd, 2010, 2:22 am

I love the idea of Player Vs Player really and have done it in other games but not this one. Mainly I hate the idea of losing my poor chars after all the work I put them though but I know that's a risk and that is just one of many risks in the game. All I know a mod could just have a random killer out and kill mine who was doing some shopping.

I would not mind getting into more combat but not as of now. Would love to see the Gods fight as well.
John Vicari
Player

Words: 107575
Joined roleplay: April 20th, 2010, 8:19 pm
Blog: View Blog (10)
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Peer Reviewer (1)

Previous