[Delay's Scrapbook] Oh look, a brain dump!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Delayni Vesse on July 14th, 2012, 9:02 pm

So here it is, my brain dump. It'll be full of some of the most random things one could ever imagine.

First and foremost, Hello! :D Many warm welcomes and thank you's for stopping by. I'm mostly known as Sharpie around these parts, but any term of endearment or nickname'll fit my fancy.

Being only 15, I don't have a serious profession to really talk about. I mean, I do have two jobs (one at a flower shop, one lifeguarding) but they aren't too much fun to talk about. xP Thus, I think I'll talk about whatever comes to mind. Most of the time, though, that will be... -drum rolls- Ologies! :D Yes, for some reason I enjoy researching the study of different things. Starting next post, though. XD

Ta~Ta~!

Responses may be slow the next few weeks...cross country practices got doubled. Thanks for the patience! ^^

Common
Thoughts

Vani
Delayni Vesse
Knock on the sky and listen to the sound.

Words: 16675
Joined roleplay: July 11th, 2012, 4:52 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Delayni Vesse on July 16th, 2012, 5:03 am

Agniology

Ah, Agniology...one of my personal favorites. There are a few different spellings, but I always use this one when referring to this ology because it is much easier to pronounce. ^^

Anywho, Agniology is defined by the online Britannica as...

Agniology (from Gr. ἀγνοέω, ignorance), the science or study of ignorance, which determines its quality and conditions.

I've been challenged on examples of Agniology because of the very flexible definition of ignorance so, before going further, I'd like to clarify what I will be using when referring to ignorance; I will use the more common definition, "a lack of knowledge or information." Thus, from here forward, the definition of Agniology could be seen as...
The study of 'a lack of knowledge and its quality and conditions.

Furthermore, this means that I will not be using the "wrong" definitions of the term 'ignorance.' This means, I will never be using the word to describe something/someone as...

• Offensive, rude or anything of the like.
  • Stupid
  • Willingly unknowing

Alrighty, down to the fun stuff. Now, most Agniologists are great debaters as well. This is due to the fact that, in their line of work, the most common way to study it is to watch or attend debates. Why? Well if you think about it, most ignorance is show while in an arguement. After all, isn't that the point of a debate? To point out the ignorance in your opponent's arguements?

They are great debaters because they have seen many exhibitations of these ignorances, and, thus, know how to avoid them. The most common of these fallacies of arguementation being as follows.

The Population AgreesMany believe that, just because the general population agrees with their standpoint, they are correct. This fallacy is known as "argumentum ad populum." Think of it this way...
Hitler had thousands of people following him in his beliefs. Did that make them correct? Not at all! See, the general populus may be misguided and bias, so such an arguement may only hurt your debate.

Lack of Evidence
Aye Carumba...The "argumentum ad ignorantium" theory. This fallacy goes along the lines of either 1. You can't prove me wrong, therefore I must be right OR 2. There is no evidence saying you are right, therefore you must be wrong. This line of thinking is a big no-no as it eliminates the option that their is information out there that neither you nor your oponent are aware. It also eliminates the possibility that the information has yet to be discovered.
See the problem?
If not, look at it this way:
1. There is no evidence that Bigfoot exists, therefore he mustn't exist.
2. There is no evidence that Bigfoot does NOT exist, therefore he must exist.

In short, the arguement can spin to support both sides.

Pfft, what the heck do you know?
Oh dear, does this fallacy make me want to slap people. The "Ad Hominum" arguement is when a debater points out unrelated and negative facts about their oponent to try and cast doubt on their arguement. Normally used when one appears to be losing, this form of fallacy occurs when one party attempts to distract the protagonist into defending themselves rather than their arguement.
This fallacy makes you look so duffer, but it works in reverse, casting the audience's doubt upon your view rather then the other way around.
Responses may be slow the next few weeks...cross country practices got doubled. Thanks for the patience! ^^

Common
Thoughts

Vani
Delayni Vesse

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Delayni Vesse on September 14th, 2012, 6:47 am

Maybe not...

Well...perhaps I took a bit more than I could handle? Heh, no matter....eventually I'll update this, but, for now, the whole "ology" write-ups are on hold.

Not quite sure why I felt compelled to post this, but, hey, here it is. ^^

Common
Thoughts

Vani
Delayni Vesse

Character sheet
Scrapbook