Completed Shin'ta: Introductions (Solo)

In which Mac buys a horse

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

While Sylira is by far the most civilized region of Mizahar, countless surprises and encounters await the traveler in its rural wilderness. Called the Wildlands, Syliran's wilderness is comprised of gradual rolling hills in the south that become deep wilderness in the north. Ruins abound throughout the wildlands, and only the well-marked roads are safe.

Shin'ta: Introductions (Solo)

Postby Jeremiah Maccabee on September 21st, 2012, 2:51 am

Shin'ta: Introductions
The 31st of Summer 492 AV
Zeltiva, Narvaen Stables

TRAINING :
Horsemanship

“I wish to purchase a horse,” the man said. Alaxal Narvaen turned from the tall black horse he was brushing and looked at the burly thirty-something man.

“What kind of horse are you looking for?”

“Well, I'm not sure. I need a strong sure-footed horse that can carry a load over any kind of terrain.”

Alaxal looked at him steadily for a few moments. “Mountain pony,” he said.

“Is that a good pack horse?”

“The best.”

“Also a riding horse?”

“Not as fast as some, but she'll get you where you're goin?”

“How much?” the stranger asked.

“Fifty gold mizas.”

“That's a lot”

“It's a fair price.”

“Show me one.”

They walked around a low, flat-topped barn to a large, grassy corral on the other side. Several horses were there. A relatively small gray-white horse with a long, wild mane caught his eye.

“What about that one?” he asked.

“Mountain pony,” said Alaxal. He was a good enough salesman to know that he shouldn't say any more. The horse was going to sell itself.

Two hours later the man left the Narvaen Stables had headed into town to explain to his wife why he had bought a horse. He had arranged for the horse to be fed and boarded at the stables. And he had arranged for riding lessons. Mac was a happy man.

Last edited by Jeremiah Maccabee on October 4th, 2012, 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AKA Anselm
Jeremiah Maccabee
No, I am not lost. Why do you ask?

Words: 52143
Joined roleplay: July 23rd, 2012, 1:29 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

[FLASHBACK] Shin'ta: Introductions (Solo)

Postby Jeremiah Maccabee on September 21st, 2012, 2:53 am

Alaxal was waiting for Mac when he arrived early the next morning. He led the mountain pony out of the corral with a simple rope tied loosely around the neck.

“Approach slowly,” he said. “Hold out your hand flat and let her smell you.” Mac suppressed a giggle as the cold, wet muzzle brushed across the palm of his hand. She was not a big horse but she looked sturdy. Having acquainted herself with his hand she tried to sniff at his face. He started to back off but Alaxal already had hold of his arm. “Don't back away,” he said. “She's just being friendly, and you don't want her to think she can boss you around.” Mac stood his ground while the gray-white, thick-maned pony sniffed and blew at his face. She had big deep blue eyes, which surprised him. He had expected them to be brown or black or something like that. Her head moved up and down and she backed away from him a step.

“Talk to her,” Alaxal said. “Her name is Shin'ta.”

“Shin'ta,” Mac repeated. It struck him as a singularly beautiful name that somehow fit her just right. “Shin'ta, I'm Mac. I hope you and I are going to be good friends.” She turned her head to view him with one eye. “When do I get to ride her?”

“Not today,” Alaxal said. “First, I'm going to teach you how to groom her. He let the rope drop and they walked over to the barn where he had grooming tools. Shin'ta meandered along behind them. “Grooming is important for several reasons. “First, regular grooming helps her maintain a healthy coat and skin. Second, It reduces the risk of skin problems. Third, by making sure there is no dirt or debris in her coat, you ensure that she doesn't get chafing when under a saddle. Fourth, it gives you time to look her over and check her over-all health. Finally, it will become an important ritual for both of you, helping build a bond between you.”

AKA Anselm
Jeremiah Maccabee

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Jeremiah Maccabee on September 21st, 2012, 2:54 am

“This is a curry comb,” he said, showing Mac a smallish brush with short, hard teeth. “It's used to loosen up dirt, hair and whatever else is gotten tangled up in her coat. You do it like this.” He used a circular motion to brush her coat around her neck. He worked his way down under her neck and up the other side. “Nos you try it.”

Mac took the brush and tried the same circular motion on her shoulder and up along her back. Alaxal said, “You don't use it on her legs or her head. The bristle is too hard for that. And of course you want to be careful around her rump and underside. But as long as you don't get into anything sensitive, she will love it.” Mac continued brushing in small circles, working his way around until he had pretty much covered everything he thought he could cover.

Alaxal took the curry comb from him and replaced it with a hard-bristled brush. “Use this to brush out the dirt and other material you pulled up with the curry comb.” Mac started to use a circular motion again but Alaxal stopped him. “For this part you use short strokes, always going in the direction of the horse's hair coat growth. You can use it on her legs if you're careful, but don't try to use it on her head.” Mac spent the next half bell brushing Shin'ta's coat, although there wasn't really much dirt to get. He suspected Shin'ta was brushed every day whether she needed it or not.

Alaxal took the hard-bristled brush from Mac and replaced it with a soft-bristled brush. “Use this to finish cleaning her coat. You can brush her head with it too as long as you're careful around her eyes.” By the time Mac finished, his arm was aching. Alaxal noticed this and said, “Shin'ta has already shown you something. She has shown you some muscles you didn't know you had.” He led her back to the corral. “Come back tomorrow and I'll show you how to tack her.”

Mac went away wondering what “tacking her” meant.”

AKA Anselm
Jeremiah Maccabee

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Paragon on October 4th, 2012, 12:39 pm

Jeremiah Maccabee

Experience
Skill XP Earned
Horsemanship +2

Lores
Lore Earned
Shin'ta: Mountain Pony
Showing a Horse Who's Boss
Importance of Grooming
Using a Curry Comb
Using a Hard Bristle Brush

Please adjust your ledger accordingly.

Legend Becomes Reality

I love the name you came up with for your equine friend! If you have any questions or concerns regarding your grade, please send me a PM and we can work from there.
Paragon
The Gordian Knot

Words: 448583
Joined roleplay: December 1st, 2011, 8:55 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)