[Please Help] Kelvic Questions! Ask Me Some!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to post all your Mizahar related discussions here.

Postby Blizzard on October 29th, 2012, 4:22 am

I've always wondered that if a Kelvic bonds with someone, can they telepathically communicate with them in their animal form? If so, how long can it work? If not, how can they communicate?

Is the Kelvic's human form (since it's just a disguise) change the factor of the animal?

If the Kelvic's animal side can go without food for 2 weeks lets say, can it's human form do the same?

Thanks Goss! :D
Blizzard
It's Whatever You Want It To Be

Words: 93022
Joined roleplay: January 11th, 2012, 6:05 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Blizzard on October 29th, 2012, 10:31 am

More to add:

• When bonding, does the human and the Kelvic have to concentrate on bonding in order to bond? Does it happen over time? If so how long?
  • Can a Kelvic turn completely feral and lose all humanity after a time of never shifting?
  • How does the bonding work? Does that mean that they are strictly tied to them sexually? Can they go apart for a long amount of time without the bond breaking? If not, can a bond be broken? If it can break after a amount of time, how long?
  • Can a Kelvic mate with an animal of their same species? Can they become pregnant from this?

Sorry, just thought of some more. :)
Blizzard

Character sheet

Postby Khida on October 29th, 2012, 11:59 am

So did I! I have one more, maybe a bit more of a rules question than a conceptual Kelvic question:

The Lore says "If a Kelvic's animal form has extremely good vision, sense of smell, or any other special ability, that ability transfers with their shapeshifting over to their human form as well. Special Permission might have to be acquired to outline very clearly the strengths and weaknesses of these abilities." It also explicitly states at the top that they they "have the same senses in either form".

So... what exactly does this statement cover? Does it apply to senses humans normally don't have? What sort of "abilities" can -- and/or should -- be applied for?
Spring threads: 2/5 .. | .. Season Goals .. | .. GradersMaxed skill: Observation.
Khida
Player

Words: 574944
Joined roleplay: April 14th, 2012, 11:14 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Sliver on October 29th, 2012, 1:40 pm

I am very excited for the expansion of this article!

My question is more regarding the types of Kelvic scattered about and the myriad of combinations and creatures that can result. Were Marcus Kelvic's experiments like a Noah's Arc thing where he tried to make a Kelvic breed of every possible animal, or was it more like he made a few hundred or even a few thousand different breeds and new animals just popped up from pairings? Like he never actually made vulture Kelvic or sea otters, but eventually they just cropped up?

Also are there any animal types that are more common than others (Say dogs, wolves, horses, canaries over beluga whale, tapirs, emu, camels)? or does every Kelvic have a completely random and even chance of being any creature when they are born?

Does the region or climate they're born in have anything to do with what they become if the parent's animal types have no consequence whatsoever?

If I think of anything else I shall put it up, thanks Gossamer!
Sliver
Do I look like a woman who exaggerates?

Words: 358206
Joined roleplay: May 11th, 2012, 6:26 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) Power Fork (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Torchlight on October 29th, 2012, 8:19 pm

Are there any restrictions on the types of mammals and birds that can be Kelvics? Can you be ANY kind of bird or mammal, from a giraffe to a naked mole rat, or a penguin to a kiwi, or are there simply some animal forms Kelvics don't have?

What about extinct animals? Like the dodo, Haast's eagle, saber tooth cat, or mastodon?
When it's pitch dark, remember that pitch is flammable.

Avatar image by Imaliea. Used with permission.
Torchlight
Let knowledge empower you.

Words: 52588
Joined roleplay: September 6th, 2012, 9:53 pm
Race: Staff account

Postby Daydream on November 2nd, 2012, 3:01 am

The question came up in chat today, and I'm grateful for this thread because I think this is something that is a BIG deal if you think about it.

No, not really for those no hinting sarcasm but it's a very good question.

If a Kelvic's animal side is an herbivore can they eat meat in their human disguise? Vice versa?

Had to post because if you think about it, would the animal's true mind refuse to eat it? Would it's instincts tell it no? Or would the human form be able to scarf it down with that part being able to fight off the animal instincts to say it's alright to eat in this form?

Thanks!
Daydream

Postby Sira on November 7th, 2012, 11:42 pm

These may have already been mentioned, but..

• What abilities transfer from kelvic form to human form. IE eyesight, sense of smell, increased strength or agility, ect.
  • Do female kelvics follow a human menstrual cycle? ..no, seriously, this is important. Are they like humans, or like their animal form?
  • If a kelvic eats something in their larger form, are they unable to shift back to their smaller form until they have digested, like what happens with a dhani?
Nari | Common
Italics are Telepathic
Sira
Player

Words: 737381
Joined roleplay: July 4th, 2010, 3:42 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Overlored (1) Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1)

Postby Vick on November 8th, 2012, 9:35 pm

Sira wrote:
These may have already been mentioned, but..

• What abilities transfer from kelvic form to human form. IE eyesight, sense of smell, increased strength or agility, ect.
  • Do female kelvics follow a human menstrual cycle? ..no, seriously, this is important. Are they like humans, or like their animal form?
  • If a kelvic eats something in their larger form, are they unable to shift back to their smaller form until they have digested, like what happens with a dhani?

Abilities that transfer are heighten forms of what the animal side does. So if the animal has great hearing, the human self should have above normal human hearing. I don't think the transfer of senses is prefect.

The menstrual cycle is based on the animal due to the fact they are animals in the end.

Kelvic eating with the eyes...I am not sure. I think they would just be uneasy but it could be the same like the dhani. I always think of it like eating past your limits and getting sick.
Credit goes to Ferrin Al'Mandrikan
Vick
Master Maledictor

Words: 355163
Joined roleplay: September 27th, 2010, 11:44 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1)

Postby Sira on November 8th, 2012, 11:23 pm

Vick, they may be animals, but their pregnancies always last 9 months like a human, regardless of animal form, and they always give birth to babies in human form, and the babies always come out in human form if they are born kelvic. That's why I asked, because their pregnancies are certainly not like their animal form, which is why I wonder if the rest is.
Nari | Common
Italics are Telepathic
Sira
Player

Words: 737381
Joined roleplay: July 4th, 2010, 3:42 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Overlored (1) Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1)

Postby Blizzard on November 9th, 2012, 12:14 am

On the topic of that, can Kelvics get pregnant from their own animal species while in their animal form?

This might have been in the lore but I skimmed and read but couldn't pick up on it.
Blizzard

Character sheet

PreviousNext