A Time for Heroes (Flashback, Closed)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Panex Iustitia on May 18th, 2010, 2:05 am

Date: Winter 12th,
Tag: Flashback, closed

"There is a time and a place for everything," explained the bulky Akalak before Panex. Rather, bulky compared to him; he was rather lithe for one of his kind, and small as well, at a mere 6'5". In fact, the perfect sort of trainer for the Myrian halfblood. He could teach how to fight against larger and strong opponents through firsthand experience, while he himself was a larger and stronger opponent.

"And rarely is that the time and place for a blade." Panex knelt, in a black outfit, staring up at his teacher, as he expounded upon the purpose of training in a sword. Panex was pleased to have found such a great master, and for little or no price. All he'd needed to do was explain his story to the blue-skinned giant. It seemed his heart was so big he would assist Panex in his time of need.

"But when the time does arise, you must be ready. Now, draw your sword, and go through your motions on the training dummy, just as we practiced."

Panex nodded to his teacher, Nolan Dachae, then did as he was instructed. Rising to his feet, he unsheathed his katana and strode toward the dummy. He adopted his ready stance, crouching down slightly and facing toward the dummy from his left side. His right arm was held up above his head so that his blade pointed directly at the dummy, and his left arm ran parallel to it.

Panex drew a deep breath, then went to work.

Open with a diagonal cut across the chest, strike ribs on back swing, retreat, lunging stab, sidestep, leg sweep, uppercut, retreat, overhand slice, retreat, return to position. Diagonal cut across the chest, strike ribs on back swing, retreat...
"Life is empty. Life is worthless. When I take life, I take nothing of value."

-Brent Weeks
Panex Iustitia
Player

Words: 7407
Joined roleplay: April 24th, 2010, 4:36 am
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet

Postby Panex Iustitia on May 19th, 2010, 9:44 pm

Hours passed in this fashion, and by now Panex was exhausted, sweat running down his lithe frame, his black tunic sticking to his tanned skin. He runs a hand through his lengthy hair, tied back for the sack of training, then resumes his training.

At this point, a small practice sword had been placed in the hands of the dummy, whose joints were flexible enough to allow the blade to be moved. Panex practice breaking the dummy's guard - difficult, considering how the wooden arms were locked into place, and Panex could only use an overhand strike - the exact blow the dummy was guarding against.

Think... There has to be a way around this. I cannot break the guard of this damned puppet... He cannot expect me to. Or does he? Maybe he wants to illustrate my weakness... But no, I doubt that. Hmm... I guess there's nothing for it...

Drawing a breath once more, Panex raised his blade into an overhand strike. He swings it down from above, but at the last moment, pulls it back toward him. The tip of his blade caught the sword, knocking him off balance slightly, but a quick thrust caught the dummy a light blow in its right shoulder.

"Good, very good," came Nolan's baritone behind him. "But don't get full of yourself."

Suddenly, Panex felt a crack resound in his ribs as Nolan's hefty blunted broadsword swept him off his feet.

"Always be aware of your surroundings. Trust no one and nothing. Now then. Come at me, let's see what you can do."

Panex stood in a daze, wiped sweat and tears from his eyes, then adjusted his stance, and charged.
"Life is empty. Life is worthless. When I take life, I take nothing of value."

-Brent Weeks
Panex Iustitia
Player

Words: 7407
Joined roleplay: April 24th, 2010, 4:36 am
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet