Question about starting skills

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Amaria Waterstance on December 14th, 2012, 12:43 am

So, I know this is kind of a silly question, but can one be "self-taught" for boxing, to make it my 30 point skill? As a sub question for that, how hard would it be to locate a master of flux magic that would be willing to train a pupil, cause I'm still trying to decide on my beginning skill set.
"Though you may always travel through the lands, a fool who finds love on a whim, your spirit will always glow it's brightest when set upon by pure tragedy"

Work this week that I have knowledge of: Tuesday: 4-9PM, Wednesday: 4-9PM, Thursday: 6AM-2PM, Friday: 2-10PM (all times EST) All other hours of my day are spent on computer, so expect me here.
Amaria Waterstance
Orphan loving shipyard worker

Words: 9816
Joined roleplay: December 13th, 2012, 10:02 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Sliver on December 14th, 2012, 2:57 am

Hey Amy, Welcome to Miz!

As to the boxing side of things, it would probably be pretty unlikely that your character would be self taught up to a competent level in boxing. That being said, perhaps if she was from the wrong side of the proverbial tracks (or a rebellious individual from a well to do family) and entered a fighting ring, or had an estranged family member teach her or something along those lines, it could make more sense.

As for finding a Flux teacher that's a bit harder and I am probably not the best one to give advice on that sort of thing. Your best bet would be some City research to figure out areas that are more understanding of magic use. For instance you're more likely to find a Flux teacher in Ahnatep or Zeltiva than Avanthal, but others might have better instructions for you there.

Hope this helps!
Sliver
Do I look like a woman who exaggerates?

Words: 358206
Joined roleplay: May 11th, 2012, 6:26 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) Power Fork (1)