[The Storm Shrine] A Favorable Wind [Tallis]

Nope

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Postby Calen on December 9th, 2012, 7:28 am

Day 09 Winter 512 AV

Like a belligerent with ice-cubes for hands, mother nature applied an inappropriately firm but respectable bitch slap upon the collective cheek of the sea-side city of Zeltiva. Everywhere one went, there was the presence of a biting wind, which, logically enough, prompted the city's people to dress rather similarly; the inhabitants of Zeltiva seemed to be big on jackets, cloaks and hats, giving the unobservant man something to scratch his head about as he attempted to tell one's acquaintances from a total stranger at a distance.

Fortunately for Calen, he had very few acquaintances and even fewer friends and as such, had no reason to do a double take should he see what he misconstrued was a familiar individual; simply put, the odds were just NOT in favor of him seeing people he knew or wanted to acknowledge. This allowed Calen to move about the city without fear of embarrassing encounters. The fact that he possessed an astounding lack of of shame also helped him avoid embarrassment, but his lack of friends was the primary reason. Unfortunately, Calen's lack of interpersonal relationships had been his undoing on this particular day as his parents had managed to nag him into visiting them as they stopped by the town's famous 'Storm Shrine' to pray.

Calen had never been one for worship and as such, made it a sort of rule to stay as far away from places where it was practiced. He was, by no means, a disbeliever, he simply did not trust himself or any god enough to put his faith in them. However, nonetheless, Calen found himself traversing the streets of the only city he had ever known to the only place of worship he had ever visited on a regular basis. He had seen the other shrines, temples and general religious sites that Zeltiva had to offer but, as per his parent's wishes, he had only ever frequented 'The Storm Shrine'. Which now loomed in front of him in all of its strangely constructed yet impressively designed demeanor. Though he was, by no means, a fan of the architectural style of the building, Calen had always held a type of, grudging respect for whoever had designed the building, as he simply could not imagine the amount of work one would have to put into its construction.

"Bet the guy got paid a fortune" he muttered to himself as he stepped into the shrine, buttoning up the last of the buttons on his tan, leather jacket so that it hugged the bottom of his neck snugly. Though he was well aware of the fact that he had never done anything to oppose or anger any gods, he always felt uncomfortable in such places; they were simply too good for a man such as he. So, jamming his hands into his pockets, Calen simply stood there, only just past the threshold of the building, ignoring the biting wind that only just washed over his back as he refused to step fully inside.

"Come on now! You haven't done anything, just....go on!" he muttered to himself softly.

Last edited by Calen on December 11th, 2012, 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Calen
Player

Words: 64040
Joined roleplay: April 5th, 2012, 3:22 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

[The Storm Shrine] This is how we do! [Tallis]

Postby Tallis on December 10th, 2012, 9:38 am

Despite wearing the majority of the clothing he owned, Tallis could still feel the cold touch of the wind sending chill tendrils under the hem of his jacket and through the gaps at his cuffs. However, unlike the people passing by who tried their hardest to keep out the biting wind, Tallis embraced the breeze. In fact, he intended to dedicate the early part of the day at the Storm Shrine dedicating an offering to Zulrav, the tutelary deity of winds and storms and his patron god. Tucked inside his jacket was a thin canvas satchel which held a long candle, Tallis’ customary offering. As per usual, he had engraved a short prayer onto the candle followed by a small, hurricane shaped swirl – a symbol of his devotion as a Stormwarden.

The Storm Shrine stood quite a distance away from the city and the climb had warmed Tallis enough that he had fully loosened the scarf around his neck so that it hung limply about his shoulders. The satchel had also been removed from his jacket lest his body heat cause the candlewax to soften and ruin the engraved prayer.

It wasn’t long before Tallis could see the silhouette of the Storm Shrine forming in the distance. The rod crowning the shrine pierced through the horizon like a needle threading through a cloth. And as he drew closer, he could see each layer of the shrine emerging into the foreground. It looked as if someone had taken several houses, each one smaller than the next, and stacked them atop each other. It was a welcome sight. The Storm Shrine was one of the few places where Tallis found that he could clear his head, forget about his troubles, and simply pray without distraction. The shrine granted him a certain peace of mind that he simply couldn’t find anywhere else.

Making his way down the set of steps leading into the shrine, Tallis found his entrance barred. A young man stood still on the threshold, hesitating to enter any further for whatever reason. Giving a sharp cough to grab the man’s attention, Tallis politely said, “If you wouldn’t mind, I would like to enter.”

Tallis
Player

Words: 131572
Joined roleplay: March 13th, 2012, 3:23 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Calen on December 10th, 2012, 10:14 am

It was strange. Despite the fact that he had spent years acting upon whatever inane impulse that popped into his head, he felt a strange sort of...fear in entering an establishment such as the Storm Shrine. Even as he stood there, jaw set, body trembling ever so slightly as the icy fingers of wind brushed his tender flesh, paying little heed to his clothing, Calen found himself unable to take that single step forward that would carry him into the shrine. A young man prone to escape from reality and responsibility through contemplation, Calen had come to the conclusion that it was a matter of principle.

Having given himself adequate time to simply stand about and think on the matter Calen had concluded that he, whether unconsciously or sub-consciously, he often got the words confused, believed that the shrine, designed as it was so as to enhance the quality of one's adherence or respect to the patron god of storms, was not a place where a man who did not pledge himself to such a being could in all good faith enter so lightheartedly. Simply put, it was a matter of whether Calen thought he was worthy to enter the shrine, and, never having been one to delude himself, he did not believe that he was.

So with a heavy heart and an audible sigh, Calen jumped on the spot, his frustration evident; he was stuck between his lack of belief in his own worthiness and his desire to fulfill the promise he had made to his parents that he would pray. He considered it all a bit too philosophical and dramatic for his liking, but he could not dismiss it as such. To do so would undermine the individual he both was, and the individual he hoped to one day be.

Suddenly, Calen found his thoughts interrupted by a burst of what could only be described as 'stage coughing'. The idea that he had been standing in the entrance way to the shrine for the better part of the last ten chimes, Calen turned to face the faithful follower of zulrav, he assumed it was one of those people as it didn't make sense for anyone else to just suddenly visit the shrine, and apologize. However, all of that went out the window as soon as Calen's gaze fell upon the admittedly handsome face of the fellow.

"You!" he exclaimed, jabbing a finger into the man's personal space but not quite touching his flesh, it was currently hovering around two inches from his nose. Choosing to drop his volume so as to avoid cluing in anyone within earshot of his magical prowess Calen spoke in an a barely audible tone, stating "You're that guy I saw before my magic got all weird!".

Last edited by Calen on December 11th, 2012, 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Calen
Player

Character sheet

Postby Tallis on December 10th, 2012, 11:44 am

Focusing past the digit rudely floating in his face, Tallis instantly recognized the man he had encountered in the middle of Fall. As his mind registered the face, memories rushed back that caused Tallis to feel a surge of anger tinged with fear. All together, the feeling culminated in what could only be described as Tallis’ specific brand of twisted excitement. What he felt was similar to the exhilaration he felt when his life was in danger, but this was altogether much more tame. Based on the man’s accusatory exclamation, Tallis deduced that the negative effects on their magic use had been mutual.

“So it wasn’t just me...”

Having only recently regained full control and utility of his arcane abilities, Tallis absolutely refused to have them taken away again. The last time he had confronted this man he had spent the rest of the season feeling like a cripple. It would not be the same this time.

Brushing aside the arm hovering in his personal space, Tallis forced himself to stay calm. It took a considerable amount of willpower to keep from introducing his fist to the other man’s face, preferably acquainting them at a high velocity. But this was a house of Zulrav, and his patron god would NOT approve if one of His Stormwardens were to start a brawl in the middle of His Shrine.

Standing his ground, Tallis retorted, “Any quarrel you have with me can be settled at another place and time. For now, I am here to worship my patron God and I would appreciate it if you would move out of the way and allow me to do so.” The politeness of his reply had been forced, but the message held true. Tallis’ devotion to Zulrav took precedence over any personal disagreement he was having with a mere mortal.

Tallis
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Calen on December 10th, 2012, 12:27 pm

As Calen continued to point his slightly trembling finger in the man's face he suppressed the remarkably potent urge he felt to use to his free hand to slap the ever loving spittle out of the man; he was pretty sure if they threw down, he could take him. Though Calen was, by almost all possible means, a complete and total stranger to danger, he could tell from the fellow's form that there wasn't all that much difference in their physique, and though he was aware that there was something...strange about his aura, he didn't seem all that threatening. Again, after having given the fellow one more look over, Calen was pretty sure he could take him.

Of course, it would have to wait. As much as Calen wanted to apply a firm smackdown on the man he certainly wasn't about to do it in the house of any god, let alone one of the most popular gods in the city; he had yet to be apprehended by any major authority in the city and he was not intending to change that fact anytime soon. However, Calen found himself completely caught off guard when the man muttered something about his own troubles with magic. His eyebrows shooting up, Calen was possessed by the urge to give the fellow's aura another glance, but he suppressed it as the entire reason for their, currently, less than pleasant encounter was the fact that they had done something either to each other or simultaneously.

Just as the thought that perhaps what had happened to him wasn't entirely man's fault he brushed Calen's arm aside and made a lengthy statement about what he planned to do for the day. Instantly, Calen disliked the man again, this time, if it were even possible, with more intensity than before. However, he could not, whilst retaining any sort of respect for himself, prevent the man from praying to his god. So, with a bit of a snort and a nod of his head to the direction of the inside of the shrine, Calen stepped aside so as to give the man room.

"Whatever. But we aren't done here you walking cow turd"

Calen
Player

Character sheet

Postby Tallis on December 11th, 2012, 11:51 am

Tallis waited patiently as the man gave him a quick once over and finally stepped to the side.

"Whatever. But we aren't done here you walking cow turd."

Walking cow turd? Was that really the best he could come up with? The insult failed to incite any anger as Tallis was simply baffled by the man’s amazing immaturity. They lived in a city full of sailors! Even six year old children could come up with more shocking names than “walking cow turd.” Choosing to ignore the man’s pitiful provocation, Tallis strode into the shrine, happy to be allowed to continue with his day’s plans.

Walking up to the statue of Zulrav that stood at the furthest wall of the shrine, Tallis sat at the foot of the statue. Removing the candle from the burlap satchel, he touched the wick to the flame of one of the many surrounding candles and placed it at the base of the statue, together with many of the other offerings already there.

Using the abilities of his gnosis mark, Tallis began gently swirling the air around him, causing an extremely light breeze to flow through the shrine. Soon, the smells of incense coming from the candles filled the temple. Carried on the gentle breeze, the fragrances mixed with one another, creating different layers of soothing scents.

In the same way that monks could enter a trance when they chanted, allowing them to say the words without having to think about them, Tallis loosened his focus on the air circulating around him, slowly changing it into an almost automatic sensation.

As he sat there, the Stormwarden whispered the starting words to his prayer, allowing the verses to be carried on the steady breeze flowing around him:

“I dedicate this prayer to Zulrav, God of storms whom constantly guards us on wind and air.
    I open my mind to his whispered wisdom.
    I open my heart, so that he may calm my inner storms.
    May he guide my mind to stay as open as the skies, even when clouded with many thoughts.
    May he guide my soul that it may float free, untethered like a feather in the winds…”

The prayer lasted twenty chimes and had left Tallis feeling revitalized and restored both mentally and physically. When he stood to leave the shrine, he was surprised to see that Calen there. Had he finally summoned the courage to enter and offer a prater to Zulrav? Making his way over to Calen, Tallis suggested, ”If you want, we could settle this now.”

Tallis
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Calen on December 12th, 2012, 4:58 am

Even as the words slipped past his lips, Calen wished he could simply reach out, grab hold of them and shove them back into his mouth before they were heard. Of course, that wasn't possible, so instead, Calen was forced to put on what could only be called a look of determined apathy as he watched the stranger step past him. It wasn't that he was feeling guilty about using such language. He was simply ashamed that he had failed to come up with something more insulting or vulgar on the spot; it was quite distressing to think that the best his brain could manufacture when given the time and opportunity was 'walking cow turd'.

Honestly, it was a bit embarrassing.

Following after the massively irritating fellow, intent on both keeping tracking of him and, honestly, learning how it was exactly a young man prayed to the god of storms, Calen couldn't help but fidget a fair bit as he moved through out the shrine. It just didn't seem proper for an individual such as himself to be in such an important place. However, as concerned as Calen was with his own situation, he found himself watching the young man closely, taking note of the shrine's sudden breeze and the scent of incense wafting through. All in all, it was suddenly a much more relaxing and welcoming environment, the exact kind of environment he was going to need if he was going to give this 'praying' business a try.

Watching the young man kneel before the statue and beginning to mutter both inaudibly and incessantly, Calen suddenly felt perverse and intrusive; this simply didn't seem like the kind of thing he should be watching. So instead Calen looked directly at the statue, a look of equal parts melancholy and general concern twisting his features so that he looked almost tormented. Glancing at the fellow who he had been so certain was responsible for the strange imbalances in his magic, Calen decided to follow his example, though, logically enough, he did so with much less proficiency.

"Um, dearest Zulrav"
instantly Calen chided himself, bringing to attention that he was not writing a letter of any sort "I am Calen, student of this city's university, currently unemployed and currently....unsettled" Calen paused to take a glance at the fellow he had followed in, taking note that he seemed to be wholly engrossed in what his own worship. "Um, I know I have not been the most faithful of worshipers. I know I have not been the best of men. But, all of that aside, I am....scared. I'm honestly scared of what my life could be leading to. So, um, I'd like you to guide me as you guide the, uh, fisherman's ships and storms and winds and things of that nature. Thank you" with that having been said Calen looked about a bit uncertain, now feeling anything but relaxed in the shrine. However, it seemed that fate was not intent on giving him much time to stew in his own awkwardness as the fellow he had followed in soon rose from his kneeling position and offered them both an opportunity 'to settle this now'.

Instantly, Calen felt a pang of fear, but he did away with it; he could be fearful after he was victorious.

"Now that, has to be the most enticing offer I've heard all day"

Calen
Player

Character sheet

Postby Arcane on December 24th, 2012, 1:06 pm

Rewards and Treasure!

Calen :
Experience Points
+1 Intimidation
+1 Observation

Lores
Zeltiva: The Storm Shrine
Tallis the Zulrav Faithful
Tallis' Prayer to Zulrav
To Settle a "Debt" With Tallis
Apprehensive Prayer to Zulrav

Tallis :
Experience Points
+1 Meditation
+1 Composition

Lores
Zeltiva: The Storm Shrine
Dedicating a Prayer to Zulrav
To Settle a "Debt" With Calen

In Conclusion
Well that was interesting on several fronts. It's always heartening to see PC rivalry and conflict. It's boring to always have everyone smile and get along (unless said smiles were just a social front in a high-society subterfuge/politicking context hehe). To make it even more fun it seems that it's likely that the two of them may end up worshipping the same god! Those kinds of rivalry/frenemies are always the most fun :)

Arcane
Magic & Mechanics

Words: 117525
Joined roleplay: May 8th, 2012, 4:50 am
Race: Staff account
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Office
Plotnotes