[Flashback]The Healing Hands of the Island(Open)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Home of the Konti people, this ivory city is built of native konti stone half in and half out of the sea. Its borders touch the Silverwood, and stretch upwards towards Silver Lake, home of the infamous konti vision water. [Lore]

Postby Jaeden Kincade on June 8th, 2010, 1:04 am

Jaeden made a slow nod and gave a warming smile to Hh’elea as she mentioned the books. As she exited the door, he began gazing towards the window, staring out of it for hints of life, or a glance at what had been distracting her earlier. Then that eventually became tiresome as Jaeden then just began to examine the room, his hand slowly reaching down to his leg every now and then in an attempt to rub away any ache that had been rising.

A slow sigh escaped his lips as he casually began to take in the room in a whole. It was soothing to the sight, much like the caretaker. Colors ranged from whites to soft blues as smooth surfaces. Even the bed was comforting, and Jaeden suspected that without it, he would have been in a much deal more pain. Eventually, however, even studying the room became less of a distraction as time passed. Jaeden slowly closed his eyes and began to listen to the ambient sounds that came from outside the room. Over the course of time, slight sounds of footsteps from people walking around outside his room, both from behind the door and outside the window, began to echo within his ears. Slowly, the muffled sounds of the Konti dialect began to make it’s way through the materials of the door and window, almost whispering songlike tones into his ears.

It almost seemed that a lot of things were happening outside the room, and while Jaeden realized it was likely a misconception on his part to think that things were bustling around him, it still frustrated him. He wasn’t used to laying around and being so idle unless he was hunting for something. He was always on the move, always doing something other than just laying around. Such feelings made him feel relieved when Hh’elea reentered the room, carrying some food and a few books. He spent his time eating his dinner and having idle conversation with Hh’elea, and while the food was delicious, it didn’t seem to satiate him in the long run. In the end though, Jaeden kept such to himself, having spent harsher periods of hunger hunting for whatever food he could during the winter seasons in the wild lands. When Jaeden was finished with his food, Hh’elea checked over his wounds one last time before bidding him good night.

Alone in the room once again, Jaeden reached over to the first of the books and slowly opened he cover, beginning to read over the first page. And read he did, the entire length of the night. He had been sleeping for two days, and felt restless now. It could have just been the frustration of having been bed ridden, but such frustration was set aside as he began reading into the history of the Konti culture for that first night. Learning about how the first had been produced by the union of two deities, Avalis and Laviku. Their relative obscurity until one Konti in particular served as an advisor to the Sylirian Knights. This surprised him, having been to Syliras more than one occasion, and having not even seen a Konti walking the streets at that time. It was near the end of the book that Jaeden’s eyes slowly began to close and he faded into a sleep once again.

Over the course of the next few days, Jaeden would learn more, both from the books and from Hh’elea herself. He read of saw their pacifistic nature, their fierce respect for each other and their seemingly unending grace in the simplest of physical tasks. He would often discuss it with Hh’elea herself, as she would spend a fair amount of the day with him, aiding him towards recovery as she changed bandages, stretched moved the limbs and joints of his body that wasn’t broken to prevent stiffening muscles and any form of atrophy. Several ointments and lotions were also brought in, and smoothed over aching muscle and bruised flesh which both often numbed and encourage healing of the areas. All the while, he spent his time in idle conversation with Hh’elea, occasionally speaking a Kontinese word here and there as he picked them up slowly from reading, listening in on conversation and learning from Hh’elea herself.

By the end of the forth day, Jaeden had already read through twenty different books that Hh’elea had brought him, covering topics from language, to culture, to the city itself. He confessed that he wasn’t able to grasp everything from simple text, however, and began getting anxious to see what he had read about first time. Each day he got closer as pain turned to aches, and stiff joints began to move fluidly on their own once again. The only real obstacle that remained now, was his left leg. Broken in three different places, it was an injury they couldn’t power through or speed up. It would take time to heal, but overall, Jaeden’s general range of movement had increased dramatically over the past few days. He recovered faster from injuries then he ever remembered, and it just opened his eyes to the expert healing abilities that the Konti race possessed.

By the dawn of the fifth day, Jaeden was sitting up along the edge of his bed. His right leg draped over the side while his left remained laid along the surface. Dark bruises days ago were now simply slight discolorations as Jaeden’s upper body hovered over a small table. Several small bandages lined his body, covering what were now small cuts instead of deep gashes they once where, and his scaring was very minimal on top of that. His right hand slowly slid a quill over a piece of parchment, as Jaeden practiced writing what little longhand of the Konti script that he knew, muttering small three word phrases as he did so.

"If I were to stop and take in the gravity of any serious situation I'm in, I'd likely fall to my knees from being overwhelmed by it. Things become much easier to deal with if you simply make jokes."
Jaeden Kincade
Disco Jae

Words: 824662
Joined roleplay: January 29th, 2010, 2:10 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Author (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Advocate (1)
Power Fork (1)

Postby Alice on June 22nd, 2010, 6:54 pm

Sorry!So sorry for the delay again! Had a mean kind of writer's block for some time and am just slowly moving towards moderation again.

During Jaeden’s recovery others brought food, new bandages and sometimes goods he had asked for, but the one who spent most time with him was Hh’elea. Of course, it was her job to do so, and she went through the various healing tasks and exercises with care and dedication, but she also started to enjoy the company of the human man filled with softness and compliments. Although he was male, he was different from all the tales she had heard. Her image of men had a clear shape, too clear maybe – but Jaeden was less and more than every image books and tales conveyed. With his natural charm he broadened her horizon just as she broadened his with her knowledge of the Konti. As a consequence she spoke more and blushed less, although she still looked out of the window with that distant expression sometimes. If Jaeden asked, she wouldn’t give an answer or even leave the room. There were still things he wasn’t allowed to know.

As his recovery proceeded, Jaeden used the spare time to study every book about the Konti Hh’elea sent him. Fairytales and mythology proved to be specifically interesting topics since the Konti were a deeply spiritual people. Almost every tale displayed a close connection to nature, to the sea and the woods and to the sky beyond which the Ukalas and their All-Seeing Mother were situated. Even the structure of Mura mirrored reverence of Caiyha as the streets were pathways surrounded by white trees and the occasional vian exemplar while various locations appeared like landmarks in an enchanted forest. When going east, Jaeden read, one would find the forest dissolve into some kind of swamp and open water. Even on the shore the Konti had built their original shell and painted stone architecture upon the lake they so loved and respected.

All these things Jaeden explored, among other information and the little town stories Hh’elea told him while working with his body.

The resident language, Kontinese, proved to be difficult at first since it was made to be spoken both on land and underwater. A few sounds Jaeden’s tongue first refused to form. It was most likely that he felt awkward when practicing, yet his skill increased quickly. Writing naturally came easier to him, although it took some time to learn the different alphabet. When he had gotten into the language enough to actually enjoy putting what he had learned to use, he found that Kontinese was a melodic and poetic language, using countless metaphors with funny meanings and various symbols. Through these studies, Jaeden learned even more about the culture and mindset of the white women.

Slowly the aching spots decreased. He felt his body gradually slipping into his command again. Then, one day, something happened that sealed that the long bedtime phase of his recovery was over.

Hh’elea was sitting next to his bed and talking about the forest near Mura and the white deer roaming its depths when a knock at the door interrupted her monologue. Without waiting for a response, the door was opened and a pretty Konti woman entered the room going backwards. She swung around and cast a warm smile at the pair. Her hands carried a large basket as she approached Jaeden and said: “You must be the human patient everyone’s talking about, right?” Of course it was a rhetoric and slightly exaggerated question – the woman simply knew which rumors to believe. Nevertheless Hh’elea nodded and a pale red covered her cheeks.

Putting the basket down she unpacked its content which turned out to be a delicious cake crowned with vian and apple fruit. “Something familiar and something new should make up every delicious meal”, she declared and placed the cake at the table after forming the books and writing tools to a pile. Then she produced a set of dishes, placed a plate in front of Jaeden and took a large, sharp-looking knife to cut the first piece.

Just then she started chatting away, as if she had forgotten that he had never seen her before. After all, everyone in Mura knew her – and it was even likely that Jaeden had already heard about her from Hh’elea. “I’m Eceli, by the way, the second sister of Pearl Diver’s. Unfortunately I couldn’t come earlier, there have been some problems with a customer and then Ciela demanded all our attention. But now I’m here, right? I sometimes cook for the clinic’s patients and since you’re the most interesting one at the moment, I thought I’d get a glance at you personally. How are you?” She took a deep breath, gave a crooked grin and gestured for Jaeden to try the cake. Already she had invited herself to sit in the only other chair in the room.

Hh’elea was wearing a neutral expression, but shifting a little uncomfortably in her own chair. Despite the motherly attitude of the inn owner and chef cook, she had obviously hoped that Eceli wouldn’t turn up.
Mura ... Starting Guide ... Konti

"Shard by shard she rearranges the world.
It looks the same, she says, but it is not. It looks as they expect, but it is not."

Gregory Maguire, "Wicked"
Alice
Shade of Grey

Words: 221259
Joined roleplay: October 17th, 2009, 4:51 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Jaeden Kincade on June 23rd, 2010, 11:46 pm

A pleasant smile appeared on Jaeden’s face as he conversed with Hh’elea, speaking a bit in her native tongue ever few words or so as he attempted to keep up in practice. He felt fortunate for her presence. While other came and went, she was the only one out of the collective that stuck around for a few words that didn’t relate to how he currently was. As well, under her care he was now able to sit up in bed, looking her evenly in the eyes rather than up. It was, after all, much easier to have a conversation with someone when you didn’t have to keep your head turned to the side or they didn’t have to hover over you.

True enough, Jaeden was feeling much better than previously, his pains and aches now simply dulled discomforts over his body, save his leg. He was aware, mainly due to Hh’elea being open about it, that it would take much, much longer to heal. Jaeden wouldn’t be taking any long trips back to the homeland any time soon. Which suited him just fine in the long run of things.

Jaeden also spent his time sharing what he knew of the areas he had traveled to as well as the land he came from. Of extensive forests, exotic locations and the large castle city of Syliras. He also spoke of the dangers that were present. About how slavers and bandits were a constant threat and that the wilds held animals and creatures that could kill those ignorant or overconfident. He knew the chances of her exploring beyond the shores of the island were likely slim, but in the even she ever did, he wanted her to be aware of what might present itself.

As Jaeden listened to Hh’elea speak of the forest and a particular dear that resided within, a quick knock to the door and someone coming inside interrupted such. Jaeden’s head tilted slightly, one brow quirking as the new Knoti came in, carrying a basket with her. She introduced herself as she began laying a sliver of cake along the table in front of Jaeden, who’s gaze observed the cake for a moment before floating back up, shifting between Hh’elea and Eceli for a moment. It was then that he noted Hh’elea’s uncomfortable shifting in her seat, curious as to reason behind it. He then once again looked to Eceli, offering a friendly smile. “A pleasure to meet you Eceli,” Jaeden said, using the full length of Konti language that time around, however still struggling with some of the pronunciations. “I am Jaeden Kincade.”

“I’m doing better,” Jaeden said, curling his arms slightly as if to demonstrate most of his full range of movement was back as he switched back to speaking in common. “I have Hh’elea to thank for that. She’s been a godsend during the course of my recovery, both in her healing touch and in her company alone. I likely would have gone a little crazy, confined to bed like this, if not for the time she spent conversing with me and bringing me books so that my mind would be distracted from such. She was actually in the middle of telling me about the forest not to far away, and the white deer that reside within.”

Jaeden then picked up the small fork, cutting into the cake as he shifted his gaze back to Hh’elea. “Please continue Hh’elea,” Jaeden said as he took a small bite of the cake, giving a smile and nod in compliment to Eceli in regards to it’s taste. He was accepting of the new company, especially one who brought get well gifts, but at the same time, noting Hh’elea’s apprehension, he didn’t want her to feel as though Eceli’s arrival would be pushing her aside as Jaeden’s primary company. “As well, are these white deer the winged deer that Konti use as mounts, or a different breed all together?”

"If I were to stop and take in the gravity of any serious situation I'm in, I'd likely fall to my knees from being overwhelmed by it. Things become much easier to deal with if you simply make jokes."
Jaeden Kincade
Disco Jae

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Power Fork (1)

Postby Alice on July 12th, 2010, 11:26 am

Eceli’s gaze lit up with delight when she heard Jaeden introducing himself in near-perfect Kontinese. Of course, the soft, warm words always sounded strange when spoken by a male which was due to the fact that there was no male Konti. It simply sounded unusual, but by no means wrong.

When Jaeden told her about his recovery process, Eceli listened with interest, fetching herself a plate and a piece of cake. She was on the rounder side, even more than Hh’elea, but she seemed to enjoy the taste of sweets and cakes more often than not and felt no shame about it. When Jaeden had finished, she shot an approving, somewhat motherly glance towards the other Konti. “That sounds just like Hh’elea. Although you’re far too modest, your strengths are obvious.” Hh’elea blushed once more and quickly shoved some of her own cake into her mouth so she didn’t have to muster a reply.

When Jaeden asked her to continue, though, she swallowed the bite and replied: “No, they are different. The mounts have wings while the forest deer do not. I don’t know the reason or story behind this fact, though, but surely one could find it in a book …” A questioning look was cast into his direction which he knew all too well. She was asking if she should look for the details. Perhaps a mythological story was the reason for the difference between both species, or history could add its part.

This time, however, something was different about Hh’elea. Still she seemed disturbed by Eceli’s presence, shooting quick, unassuming glances into her direction every now and then. She tried to hide those glances from Jaeden, but that proved to be difficult, given that he had taken up the observer role.

Eceli seemed content with listening and munching cake, although it was obvious that she would have participated in the conversation if she had known something about the topic.

It looks the same, she says, but it is not. It looks as they expect, but it is not."

Alice
Shade of Grey

Office
Scrapbook
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Jaeden Kincade on July 13th, 2010, 2:25 am

Jaeden slowly looked between the two of them for a moment, his gaze shifting back and forth as though he had been watching a sparks of electricity zipping back and forth between them. He noted Hh’elea’s continued unease and Eceli’s apparent ignorance of it. A slow grunt was then released, his face wincing slightly as he swung his bound leg over the side of the bed, letting it rest along the floor for a moment.

His hands reached out, grasping the crutches that had been brought to him, slipping it under his arm as he once again voiced an echo of discomfort, coming to a stand next to his bed. His hand was then slowly held out to Hh’elea in invitation. “Eceli, I don’t mean to seem disingenuous about your visit, because I do appreciate it,” Jaeden said to her, offering an apologetic smile, “but if you would excuse Hh’elea and I for a moment, I wanted to test out how well I can get around as well as discuss certain medical issues that I would feel uncomfortable about discussing in front of someone I’ve just now only met.”

“Again though, I do appreciate you visiting and the cake was delicious.“ Jaeden said again as he supported his weight along the crutch, keeping most of it off his bad leg. “I do hope that there may be a re-visit in the future though as I’m not likely to depart anytime before my leg has healed.”

“Hh’elea, if you would please be my escort as I take a small stroll during our discussion?” Jaeden then offered again, his hand still held out in invitation. “I’m thinking I may be able to circle the building once, but just in case I find myself falling down?”

Jaeden Kincade
Disco Jae

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Power Fork (1)

Postby Alice on July 28th, 2010, 11:24 am

OOCI honestly have no idea where this is going. This post might be crap, but at least I'm back in the flow. ^^;

Hh’elea’s head spun around when she heard her patient moving his injured parts. Her mouth opened, but then she shot a quick glance at Eceli, seemed to consider and refrained from protesting. He was a grown man, so he knew what was best for him. The recovery had been going smoothly until then, Jaeden had been patient enough.

Eceli, as the understanding and motherly woman she was, knew that there was something else to Jaeden’s abrupt excuse. She merely smiled and nodded, packing her basket and raising from the chair. “Thank you, Jaeden, and indeed, I’ll visit again. Feel free to stop by Pearl Divers though as soon as you’re strong enough to cover the distance. I and my sisters will gladly invite you to lunch or dinner.” With a wink she left the room even before Jaeden was ready to go too. After all, she was about the most straightforward person one could imagine – which did say something for a Konti.

Hh’elea watched Eceli go with a thoughtful look, but then she turned back to her patient and flashed him a hesitating smile. “Sure, why not? Your condition should be good enough for some first strolls around the gardens.” Without any further explanations she accompanied Jaeden at his way out of the room, through a few corridors and out into the fresh air. The Opal Temple that functioned as facility for healing and medical treatment as well was surrounded by extensive gardens filled with fragrant flowers, short trees and the occasional pond or swamp marked off by thick bushes of reed. The pleasant scent of exotic plants infused the air with dizzying sweetness, but a fresh breeze from the lake ensured a relaxing climate nevertheless. The gardens were meant for finding peace and supporting the recovery of the temple’s patients. There were few other people strolling around, and if Jaeden made it a point to escape any curious glances, he’d certainly succeed.

Hh’elea had been silent all the way down and into the heart of the gardens, but when she was sure that they were alone she started speaking without further questioning. “I truly don’t know what is wrong with me! I … I might have disturbed and annoyed you, yes, I can imagine, but … I can’t do anything about it.” She sighed, mentally preparing for the words she wanted to get rid of. “I have noticed your interest about Ciela. She’s Eceli’s younger twin sister. Go find her and talk to her. You know, she’s the one who has rescued you. I was attracted by her scream and saw her running away. You should thank her. And … indeed, I know that you find her intriguing. Honestly, I won’t be insulted if you visit her.” Then she waited. As the girl who couldn’t hold back her feelings, she seemed to tremble with more she wanted to say, but she waited for a first reaction instead. Carefully glancing up into his sky blue eyes, she expected his answer.

Alice
Shade of Grey

Office
Scrapbook
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Jaeden Kincade on July 29th, 2010, 2:40 am

Jeaden leaned along his crutch, taking most of his weight off his leg, tilting his head slightly as Hh’elea began to ramble on about how she may have offended him, and that he should go see the sisters. He gave a slow rub to his chin. When she had finally fell silent, Jaeden’s hand slowly reached out, letting out a slight grunt as a bit of weight shifted to his left leg for a moment. “Hh’elea, I was merely curious as to why you were so reserved in there?” Jaeden said as he gave Hh’elea a warm smile.

“Listen, Hh’elea, I may have been curious as to who they were, but that’s only because it was the first face I saw when I came to for a fleeting moment when I drifted here.” Jaeden then explained. “And to say she saved me is sort of a joke, Hh’elea. True enough, she may have drawn attention to me, but then she ran away. You were the one who came and saved me. You are the one who’s patched me up, healed me, spent time with me so that isolation didn‘t make me a cranky pervert, learning as much of me as well as teaching me about where I am.”

“Hh’elea, I’ve been here for nearly a third of a season, and guess who’s spent that time with me?” Jaeden then posed. “You have. All the others of this island, they’re strangers to me.”

Jaeden then pulled Hh’elea in closer, embracing her for a moment as his hand slipped around her back, holding back grunts of pain. He then let out a slow chuckle. “You know, for someone with such skill in bringing a lout like me back from the edge,” Jaeden then said, “you seem to be lacking in the self confidence department. You should do something about that.”

Jaeden Kincade
Disco Jae

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Power Fork (1)

Postby Alice on August 4th, 2010, 9:42 am

Despite the friendly and encouraging words Jaeden spoke, Hh’elea didn’t look fully convinced. She sniffed and avoided Jaeden’s gaze, trying to hide her expression from him. Had she been able to, she would have trusted him, trusted his words, but she just felt like a fool who wasn’t able to maintain any social contacts. Naturally, she was aware of her awkwardness in interaction, but what could she do about it? It wasn’t illness enough to be healed, more like a weird habit. She couldn’t change anything! Somehow Jaeden had pointed out that Hh’elea was stuck, and now she felt stuck more than ever.

A few steps taken backward brought more space between the two. Hh’elea wasn’t sure how to react. “I guess that’s true”, she eventually said with hesitation evident in her voice. But how could she accept so much kindness? “Honestly, I don’t know what you’re … what you’re trying to get me to do. What do you expect? Do you … have any plans? It sounds like that, anyway.” She grew silent, feeling awkward again. This day she wore a white blouse with blue ornaments seemingly curling around her shoulders, and her hands had wrapped around the fabric.

Neither one of them was aware that they were being watched. The spectator was not only extra careful but also experienced in the art of spying on others. They gave a delighted grin to the scene unfolding.

Meanwhile Hh’elea decided to be a little more honest. “I’ve always been awkward in social situations. Maybe it’s … it’s because I always have second thoughts. People are so … so unpredictable. I don’t know what to expect and that … that makes me nervous, like this. I’m sorry”, she confessed and lowered her head. The shadow of her hair covered her eyes and partly concealed a sad look.

Jaeden sensed that this one needed a bit more than friendly words to open up. Her shell had been hardened over the years. Perhaps a crack had already formed, given how she acted in his presence, but there was still a lot to do if he really aimed towards boosting her self-confidence.

Alice
Shade of Grey

Office
Scrapbook
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Jaeden Kincade on August 6th, 2010, 3:16 am

Jaeden gave a slow exhale, inching himself over towards one of the benches as he felt his leg grow a little more tender. He would likely have to spend a quarter of a season rebuilding it’s strength back to what it was once the bones had fully healed. As he settled at one end of the benches, Jaeden slowly motioned towards the other end with his head. “Hh’elea, have a seat, please.” Jaeden then requested as he set his crutch to the side for a moment. He waited to see if she would sit or not, before hunching forward, resting his elbow along his good leg in a lean forward. “Hh’elea, I’m trying to get you to believe in yourself a little more.”

Jaeden then looked to her, giving a quick shrug of his shoulders. “Generally, I’m a bit a lecherous person, I’m sure you’ve picked that up in our conversations of late,” Jaeden then said, “which is why I suppose you think I have a hidden agenda for all the platitudes I’ve been giving you. And while I find the idea of sharing a bed with you quite appealing, that is not the reasoning behind my words for you just now. I say them because I really mean them.”

Jaeden’s eyes closed for a moment though before he raised a finger as if asking for a moment, a slow smile crossing his features. “Just a chime,” Jaeden said, an amused tone in his voice, “I actually just got a picture of the two of us sharing a bed stuck in my head. Give it a moment to pass.”

A moment of silence then passed between the two of them as Jaeden remained silent, keeping that pose, his smile still fixed. “A moment longer.” Jaeden then suddenly said. “My leg is all better in my vision, by the way.”

Jaeden then dropped his hand, opening his eyes as he looked to Hh’elea once again, gauging her reaction. “Hh’elea, this is something you’ll really have to get past.” Jaeden then finally said, his tone sincere as his sky blue eyes gazed into her own eyes. “Society, by nature, is unpredictable. It very well should be. If it wasn’t, things would be boring and I for one would just want to lay down and die at that moment. Life without surprises, good or bad, isn’t life. What’s the point of celebrating a day of birth, a seasonal celebration or even more so the point of getting out of bed if you can predict what people are going to say or do on that day? It‘s why I‘ve traveled from one end of this world to the other, because I want to see something new, something unpredictable.”

Jaeden then sat strait up, his hands resting along the flat of the bench as he supported his upper weight. “If nothing else, lower your expectations, that way you can always be pleasantly surprised when someone exceeds them.” Jaeden then suggested, shifting his elbow towards her and giving Hh’elea a slow nudge of encouragement. “In the end, you shouldn’t be nervous, because it prevents people from seeing the real you. The one who spent all that time nursing me back to health. I never really saw any of that during our weeks together.”

Jaeden Kincade
Disco Jae

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Power Fork (1)

Postby Alice on August 8th, 2010, 2:01 pm

With visible hesitation, Hh’elea joined the human at the bench which turned out to be a beautiful object made of white wood and ornamented with some exotic kind of climbing plant. Her problem wasn’t really that she didn’t want to believe him – rather some part of her complicated personality prevented her from believing. She simply couldn’t, perhaps in the future she would, but not yet.

When the word “lecherous” appeared, a rosy hue covered her cheeks once more and she looked away. She had a problem with those expressions which was another reason of her awkwardness. Nevertheless, Jaeden’s kind words got her to thinking … about herself. About what their relationship did with her. As a Konti, Hh’elea believed that Avalis guided her path wherever she went, so maybe the Goddess had even sent this human to her just to help her “believe in herself a little more”, in his words.

The rosy shimmer deepened as Jaeden fought the pictures in his head. That was the one thing that separated him from everyone else on that island! She just couldn’t get used to it! Not even the Akalak who had visited had behaved so … straightforward? Bold? Hh’elea couldn’t help but turn away from him while she waited, towards the serene garden scenery.

A bit sheepishly she then repeated his advice. “Society’s unpredictable … lower my expectations.” She swallowed, trying to comprehend that information. “Maybe … maybe I’m scared”, she then admitted. Still she couldn’t get herself to look Jaeden in the eye.

Suddenly a distant thump could be heard, as if an object had been dropped on a grassy ground.

It might not sound suspicious, because the garden was a public location, but Hh’elea rose instantly. Without another word she raced into the direction of the noise, quite clumsily, but somehow managing not to trip. Jaeden, who was unable to keep up, saw her pale frame disappear behind the next group of white trees and bushes. The air carried low voices over, too muffled to be understood. One sounded nervous, the other one was a mixture. Vague guilt was discernable at some point, but nothing more. The second voice didn’t sound familiar to Jaeden. Eventually footsteps were approaching while Hh’elea concluded: “But don’t say a word!”

Breathing heavily, she joined him at the bench once again. After a while she returned to her habit of fidgeting with the hem of her blouse. Her fingers were restless. Suddenly she stood up and faced Jaeden with a pleading look. “Please, let’s … let’s get in again, okay?” There was new determination in her voice. Hh’elea seemed changed, but how … that would be revealed soon.

Secret :
Btw, these are my personal plot notes for this thread.

Alice
Shade of Grey

Office
Scrapbook
Trailblazer (1)

PreviousNext