Closed [Banir]You Want to be a Carver, Eh?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built high in the massive branches of Taldera's bloodwood forest, The Spires is a city crafted by the peaceful and scholarly Jamoura. Considered a haven for scholars and sages Mizahar-wide, The Spires is a mecca of philosophy and science that draws people from far and wide with its promise of deeper thinking and higher reasoning.

[Banir]You Want to be a Carver, Eh?

Postby Capricious on February 14th, 2013, 10:05 pm

Date: To be set by player.
Purpose: Hiring Thread

The Everliving Wood, located on the Petal of Endless Epoch, is known for the unique and wonderfully fashioned furniture, sculptures, or whatever is necessary. Everything found in the Everliving Wood has the distinct appearance of being realistic and focusing on nature. The Everliving Wood is run by Nrash, a gentle and wise Jamoura with the hands gifted with beauty and art.

Today was no different. The shop smelled like fresh wood and nature, but was eerily quiet. The store was absent from the sounds of wood chiseling or statues being carefully sculpted. Nrash was sitting on a stool at a table, moss covered stick in hand. A piece of paper bark rested on the table, with tiny lines scribbled here and there. With a gentleness some would not expect of such a large creature, Nrash carefully drew another line with the stick.

"Hmm..." he grunted in his own language, tapping the stick against his chin. It left a smudge of brown and he seemed not to notice. It was obvious he had been working on this design for some time but wanted to make sure it was perfect. Nrash, like other Jamoura, was patient. He preferred not to rush things but to let the ideas form naturally. "No, no..." Reaching forward, his large hand curled around the corner of a small wooden box. It was dark brown and completely square. If it was empty of solid, one could not tell from sight alone and Nrash picked it up with ease. Nrash flipped it this way and that before setting it back down and draw something new.

When Banir entered the Everliving Wood, Nrash paid him no mind. In fact, Nrash did not even notice him. It was not Banir's fault, but more the fact that Nrash was absorbed in his blueprint. In fact, Banir had to clear his throat to capture Nrash's attention.

"Hello there." Nrash spoke slowly, pronouncing every letter carefully in his low voice. "I did not notice you, my apologies. How may I help you?"

Capricious
Assistant Storyteller of The Spires

Words: 171332
Joined roleplay: September 25th, 2012, 11:14 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Banir Ironwood on February 16th, 2013, 9:21 am

Banir had simply been wandering aimlessly across the Petals, his feet had meant to find no intended destination. They where merely walking along the wooden planks until his heavy metal clad footsteps found him standing before a store that seemed to have escaped his notice before. Giving it a good long look he tried reading the title. Having to sound out the words to himself. "Eve-ever, liv, living wood. Everliving wood." For long moments his mind took pause as he thought what on Mizahar could be inside. Strolling his way in his red eyes rimmed in white examined what was around him. The place was filled with beautiful carvings! It was amazing! He honestly had no idea that you could sell carvings! He'd never thought of that why! It was a brilliant idea! He'd mostly done carving as just a hobby. Something to keep his hands busy and let his mind wander while his blade scrapped against something. He paused as he turned his attention to the carvings once more. These things where really well carved, an expert, maybe even a master. The curves where so soft and gentle, there was a strange colouring on them. Honestly interested he suddenly snapped to attention as he heard a deep voice speak behind him.

"No, no...."

Did he do something wrong? By the gods he hoped not! Turning around he saw a large Jamoura looking over obvious blueprints. He was a little too focused on the carvings. How in the name of Ivak's wrath did he miss him? He blinked as he did nothing for the longest time. Just looking over some plans and a box? Or some type of square piece of wood. Maybe he should introduce himself? That would do well, taking a moment he took a deep breath. And cleared his damaged throat, the pain that flared up definitely hurt and was making talking a lot less appealing. However once he had done it, the act seemed to gain the Jamoura's attention. He paused, he wasn't good with social stuff like talking with strangers. Thankfully the large Jamoura was patient, and Banir managed to piece his words together after a moment of thought. "Ah y-yes, hello, I am Banir Ironwood. I-I noticed you've some, spectacular carvings, in here!" He swallowed nervously as his eyes switch to a dark yellow. His nervousness was shown only through his eyes, his hood and scarf hiding his face and emotions. "Err I-I was hoping, that perhaps I could, maybe, by chance. If I could be, hiring someone, to carve?" His wording was awful, his voice gruff and graveled. And his appearance only made him look like a thug. Actually being hired wasn't what he was here for, it was just the first thing that left his mouth. Though gods knew he needed the Miza's.
"Where life leads me, is where I shall go. The greater question is, who is willing to accompany me on such a long travel?"
Banir Ironwood
The silent disgrace

Words: 218834
Joined roleplay: August 13th, 2011, 3:33 am
Blog: View Blog (3)
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Capricious on February 19th, 2013, 1:39 pm

OOCI am assuming, since you did not write it in, that Banir is without his mask.
Nrash set the moss-stick off to the side, knowing that if he was not careful he would accidentally squash it or smear it across something. Moss was extremely difficult to get out of wood and Nrash had ended up, more than once, using moss to cover up mistakes he had made. The coloring had made the piece more beautiful, however, and more natural. And, according to Nrash, natural was the best way. It allowed those who seek to connect with nature to do so.

Studying the boy before him, Nrash was calm and patient when the man stuttered over his words. What an awkward fellow. He was surely tall, but did not quite meet the Jamoura standard height. Perhaps if he were a female Jamoura? Although his weight would not do for a Jamoura, no sir. Nrash’s eyes did not linger on the boy’s face. The scars that lay there did not concern him and, truly, every beautiful piece of work needs some scars.

“You wish to hire a carver? Well, boy, sit down and tell me what you need. I am certain we can work something out,” Nrash instructed Banir in his gravelly voice even as he pulled up a stool beside where he sat at the table.

Capricious

Office
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Banir Ironwood on February 21st, 2013, 10:24 am

OOCBanir's face isn't covered by a mask its covered by a Scarf and Hood. He's only recently been making a mask. He rarely if ever shows his face.

Banir blinked and almost jumped at hearing the Jamoura speak. And although he got a little uncomfortable as the large Jamoura stared at him. From under the dark shadow of his hood he gazed back. What the shadow didn't hide the scarf that was up over his nose hid the rest. Walking to the stool with limbs acting like they where bound in place by steel and wood. And too move them took more effort than it seemed. Managing to sit at the table he had quickly realized he had messed up his intended message. He didn't want to hire a carver, he wanted to be hired AS a carver! Damn it all! Why did he have to be such an idiot so freaking often. Taking a long and slow breath he tried to calm himself, steadying both his mind and his nerves. He wanted to try and be more clear, to be more articulate with his words.

Taking another long and steady breath he closed his eyes then let his breath out and opened his eyes. "What I meant to, say was that I, wished to be hired, as a carver. M-my name is Banir, Ironwood it is, an honor and a, pleasure to meet, you sir. I've never done carving, a-as a job before, its mostly been a, hobby of mine. I am not good, at much else, actually. To be honest to, call my carving good, is a little bit of a, stretch. I-I am still hopeful, to be able to, become a carver here." He swallowed and blinked, he was riddled with nervousness. Waiting for the large beastly, in appearance at least, being to respond was nerve wracking. Thoughts of what to do if he was rejected crossed his mind, as well as thoughts of joy if he was taken on. He was conflicted though still trying to be hopeful and optimistic. Shifting his bulk a little on the seat to keep himself comfortable. To the Jamoura it was no doubt he'd be physically and mentally unimpressive. He just hoped he'd be convincing, and polite, enough to at least be considered for the job.
"Where life leads me, is where I shall go. The greater question is, who is willing to accompany me on such a long travel?"
Banir Ironwood
The silent disgrace

Words: 218834
Joined roleplay: August 13th, 2011, 3:33 am
Blog: View Blog (3)
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Capricious on February 23rd, 2013, 5:50 pm

"It is nice to meet you, Banir. I am Nrash," Nrash rumbled. He held the last syllable of Banir's name extremely long, but that was the way of his speech. A smile seemed to cross his features. "You wish to carve? Carving is magnificent and wonderful. You have come to the right place. Do not fret that you have not carved as a career, that can be taught." A pause as Nrash reached out and picked up the wood box he had been handling before. "Tell me, Banir, what is your view on carving? Why do you carve? What does it mean to you?"

Only after Banir had explained what carving meant to him and his personal views on it would Nrash nod slowly. To Nrash, carving was a necessity of life and something that should respect nature. He was a firm believer that coating the items carved in glazes and mixtures was not the point of carving.

"Here." Nrash handed the wooden box to Banir, his large hand overwhelming Banir's. "I was working on a blueprint for this earlier when you came in. See what you can do with it, here on the desk. The carving tools are over there in the corner." Nrash eyes twinkled as he pushed to stand and walked away. "Come get me when you're done."

OOCI deliberately left the blueprint plan open to interpretation. Banir will have to carve the small box (think 6 inches by 6 inches). Feel free to have several posts during this.Also, please adjust your first post to include a timestamp.

Capricious

Office
Trailblazer (1)