Hello everybody~

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Drop on by, introduce yourself, and let us know how you found us. In addition, don't be afraid to tell us what you'd like to get out of your Mizahar experience. Check out the stickies for more information.

Hello everybody~

Postby Pyris on April 9th, 2013, 3:56 pm

Hello, all. This name is a placeholder for now, until I decide what I am doing. A preemptive apology for my excessive wordiness. Oh, and I'm almost 100% sarcastic. If you find something I say offensive, I am almost certainly (95% of the time) joking! I have a wry sense of humor, so don't take me too seriously. c:

Anyway, I have been avidly lurking this site for the past week. (By "lurking," I mean "having 15+ tabs open at any given time.") I really am planning on joining in on the festivities, but given I am SO FREAKING BAD at starting out in these things, my indecision is at a fever pitch. I'm currently still stuck figuring out what my first RPC is going to be, given that I am still uncertain where I want to start out since all the cities are so structured and etc.

Short version: I'm a coward.

I have been looking for somewhere that I can get back into writing in a social environment. When I was in high school, my friends and I would pass our stories back and forth to each other, and even had a collaborative story (read: utterly terrible self-insert fanfiction that had obscene amounts of crossover) that we would trade and write chapters of, and plan for future plot developments during lunch. Fortunately, my taste in stories (and storytelling) has improved but alas, I no longer have the social interaction that so greatly injects new fire and drive into a story that has burned down to embers.

Maybe that's why I have never successfully completed a NaNo year. I get to ~20k words and get burnt out because there's no one to bounce ideas off of and ask me how my plot progresses from point A to point B. (I'm bad at plot outlines omg.)

I have done some (mostly social) roleplays in the past. They have consisted of the ones that are saturated with "special snowflake" characters that are half werewolf, half vampire, half neko with no physical defects and an uncompelling personality that is made of flaws. This looks like a fantastic change of pace, with well-developed characters all of whom wind up being unique for the sole fact that they have character.

I'll figure out what I want to do after I play around with the character concepts I'm juggling a bit more. I will figure it out eventually though, maybe when I have time to over the weekend without interruptions. I just figured that it would be better to go ahead and register so I could get any questions I have answered from someone's mouth (fingers?) instead of trying to figure it out myself.

Anyway, less me-problem ranting and more question answering:

1. Name - or what you'd like to be called!
Gat's fine for now.

2. What sort of RP experience do you have if any?
I have some experience in D&D, and have done some random forum-based roleplays in the past.

3. How did you find us?
I looked for "best RP sites" and a big list came up with Mizahar at the top.

4. What sort of RP style is your favorite?
Social interactions are and have always been my favorite. The dynamic between two characters--even a negative dynamic--is the most exciting part of any RP. The growth of friendships, enemies, and wary tolerances is one of the most tangible parts of any good story.

5. What do you like to write about - not write about?
I like characters. I like friendships and loyalties and verbal altercations. I'm iffy about romances, and am pretty terrible at combat.

6. Whats your favorite thing about Mizahar so far?
The depth of the lore and the races. This site seems to have only been around a few years, but everything is so well-fleshed out. I like how the community can debate about the exacts of everything to make things all the more defined. I especially enjoyed reading through the discussion on bondmates and the mentality of Kelvics, as well as social PVP.
I also like the lack of vampires/werewolves/fairies/elves/nekos.

7. What, if anything, has frustrated you about Mizahar so far?
Well, as I said above, everywhere seems so unapproachable to me. I know that as soon as I start, I'll look back and scoff and say "Golly, why was I so silly?" but it's just a matter of getting over that hurdle.

8. What would you like out of the Mizahar experience?
What I want most is to have fun. Making some friends would be great along the way, and of course expand and refine my own writing style.

9. Is there anything you'd like to see expanded?
I don't know yet. 8D
Maybe some more information on some of the skill pages. Doing our own research isn't a bad thing, but an idea of how things may work in Mizahar is nice, especially when picking up a skill that myself as the player may not have a lot of knowledge in. (ALL OF THEM.)

10. Anything else you want to talk about?
I like parenthesis. 8^y
Pyris
Player

Words: 3393
Joined roleplay: April 9th, 2013, 1:55 am
Race: Kelvic

Hello everybody~

Postby Magpie on April 9th, 2013, 5:09 pm

Welcome, welcome! Don't worry, everyone has had the "special snowflake" story of their day, whether they admit to it now or not :) The lore can be a bit overwhelming at first, but just take it one step at a time, and branch out once you're established. I do promise it gets easier! If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to message me, or the moderators of whatever city you settle down in. We're all happy to help out. Good luck!
Office ~ Riverfall ~ Starting Guide ~ Q & A Forum
Moderated Threads: Full up right now, sorry!
Magpie
A-flutter

Words: 324445
Joined roleplay: January 28th, 2013, 4:49 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Hello everybody~

Postby Khida on April 9th, 2013, 8:54 pm

Gat wrote:Anyway, I have been avidly lurking this site for the past week. (By "lurking," I mean "having 15+ tabs open at any given time.") I really am planning on joining in on the festivities, but given I am SO FREAKING BAD at starting out in these things, my indecision is at a fever pitch. I'm currently still stuck figuring out what my first RPC is going to be, given that I am still uncertain where I want to start out since all the cities are so structured and etc.

Maybe that's why I have never successfully completed a NaNo year. I get to ~20k words and get burnt out because there's no one to bounce ideas off of and ask me how my plot progresses from point A to point B. (I'm bad at plot outlines omg.)

I hear you on both of those points! I lurked for a whole month after creating my first character but before actually venturing IC. And not even for sake of reading more lore in preparation, either...

I also find whenever I sit down to do novel-writing, I bounce all over between any of the several stories I have going. I can't keep on any one for more than two or so weeks -- which is not at all the case when it comes to keeping interest in my RP characters! Having other people to help center my focus makes a big difference.

Commiseration aside, welcome to Mizahar! Feel free to drop me a PM if I can help you in any way. :)
Khida
Player

Words: 574944
Joined roleplay: April 14th, 2012, 11:14 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Hello everybody~

Postby Pyris on April 11th, 2013, 12:36 am

Thanks to you both for the welcome.

@Magpie: Yeah, it's definitely a writing phase that all of us have to go through so we can realize that it is not a good way to make compelling characters. I try not to think about it, but tend to compare characters I make to such creations.
The lore isn't really that overwhelming, considering a was a bit of a lore nerd when I was playing World of Warcraft. I'd spend HOURS pouring over WoW wiki and read page after page. Before I knew it, it was 4:30 AM and I was hungry.
It's really just a matter of immersing myself. Once I wrench up the courage to get my head wet I'm good.

@Khida: It doesn't help that I haven't settled on a race for my first character, so finding a good starting town is all the more difficult. Ah, I'll get it done this weekend. I can really focus on these things when it's nothing around me but quiet.
And yes, having a group of people is something that I have sorely lacked in previous casual RP settings, and the leading cause of me dropping them. (The second cause is the RPs just randomly going belly-up. That's not something to worry about here though, I think.)
Pyris
Player

Words: 3393
Joined roleplay: April 9th, 2013, 1:55 am