Training threads

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Training threads

Postby Abashai on September 23rd, 2009, 3:25 pm

I wanted to do some self-mod training threads and wondered what is the appropriate length of a training thread. I'm sure it depends on some things, but wanted some idea of how to do it.

Thanks!

Abashai
Abashai
There are winds I am compelled to follow...

Words: 391987
Joined roleplay: August 25th, 2009, 4:12 pm
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (1)

Re: Training threads

Postby Akuaysun on September 23rd, 2009, 5:04 pm

It can be as long as you like, the longer and more detailed the more XP you will be awarded. I ran a thread about 8 posts of about 5 para each and got a nice little chunk in multiple skills.

Hope that helps.
Aku

The heavens tore and from the area between night and day we fell, to the waters below where we should be reborn and live anew, always separated and forever yearning.
Akuaysun
Leth's Lost Soul

Words: 59383
Joined roleplay: August 4th, 2009, 8:51 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Gossamer on September 23rd, 2009, 5:11 pm

It depends on how much you write per post and what the content is. Really, the question you asked is about the hardest one in the world to answer. Let me give you an example.

Say you posted a brief paragraph about .... practicing your bow to increase your bow skill. There's twenty posts total, but each one has just about two or three lines... I might award that an XP... maybe two if its content heavy meaning it has a lot of detail on how to actually improve your firing or you used your bow a lot.

Now... say you posted one or two posts, but they were lengthy and had content you could add to the wiki as a new article on a new skill or lore. I might be just as apt to give you a full lore for that or say two or three XP right off the bat. If you posted say ten posts heavy on content, I might actually give you a full 5 XP for it.

It is just so hard to answer this question. We don't have a X number of posts per training thread with a word count of X requirement. Also, someone who doesn't write so well but really made an effort on spelling, sentence structure, and showed a shining improvement or an excellent use of English when they were say native to Timbuktu - I'd probably give them an extra point or two just because I didn't have to suffer through their usual misspelling or horrid grammar... but I'd also tell them that!

If your doing an actual training thread, I'd guess it would need to be longer than say your PC researching for a lore... but again that depends on what your usual post length and detail is. Also, say your suffering a horrible injury like you and your table saw tangled over the weekend when you were irl practicing your home improvement DIY warrior skills and you now have more stitches than flesh left on two fingers (that happened once to a friend of mine... he's fine now but he uses the guards ALWAYS and appreciates his pinkie and ring finger a whole lot more) we do take into account valiant effort in the face of IRL and cut a lot of slack for it. :)

Now, I'm sure you found this not so helpful! Maybe the others can pipe in. :) My best advice is jump into your training threads full throttle and just see what comes out of them. I'm always open to the whole 'Goss, I want 5 XP for this... where am I at in this thread and do I need to do more still?'. Im very opinionated and often have threads read in my areas so I can answer right away - and will say "Hey, your X amount of XP into it... you need to do Y to get to your goal. Here's a suggestion or two...." or "Woah.. you passed the 5 XP mark thirty posts ago....". I honestly wouldn't worry about length and just start writing, have a good time, and let your PC learn some new things or improve some old skills.

<.<

>.>

*whispers* I always also give extra credit for PCs that struggle, have trouble by not always brilliantly succeeding the first time, or write humor into their threads. Cause I have a soft spot for the underdog, the awkward, or the hopeless. I've been there irl, and know how it feels. :)

Jen
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Abashai on September 23rd, 2009, 5:31 pm

Thanks Goss (and Aku). I didn't expect any formula, you gave me what I needed to hear! Truth is I'm having so much fun writing here that I want to grow my character. I'll take your advice and just jump in! Funny you should mention an injury...last Friday I tripped backwards while hopping a short fence and broke my right arm trying to deflect the Earth as I fell, It didn't move but the bones in my arm did! I am right handed, but I can't stop posting, so I am typing with my left hand. (*that was not intended as a shameless attempt to garner sympathy on any forthcoming training posts, just a preemptive excuse for typos, shortened posts or delayed replies that may or may not occur over the next six weeks)

Thanks again, and good work to all the staffers...Mizahar is by far the coolest rpg I''ve seen. (again, honest praise, not superficial flattery.)

Abashai
Abashai
There are winds I am compelled to follow...

Words: 391987
Joined roleplay: August 25th, 2009, 4:12 pm
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (1)

Training threads

Postby Tyuru on April 20th, 2010, 3:41 pm

Wow, I'm bringing this one back to life! -feels like a necromancer-

I just have another question or two related to training threads.

Are you supposed to alert anyone to a training thread or let anyone know you're making a desperate bid at getting XP?

Also, do training threads in the form of flashbacks give you XP?

Thanks, just wondering... I've written like two (kind of) training-type-thread-things, but haven't recieved XP, and I don't want to sound whiny, but I'm just kind of wondering why (and at the same time, if it's okay that I did it in flashback format). Heck, for all I know, nobody has actually read it yet, which does make me sound a little whiny. :)

I'm rambling. Anyway, thanks. :)
I apologise profusely to anybody who may have been in a roleplay with me that I kind of started ignoring or that I haven't been answering. I haven't been on Mizahar in the last couple of months (not by my own choice, though!!). I think Tyuru needs some major character revision because I have been completely insensitive to people who have actually been through what she's experienced. I'm taking some time out to make her character more realistic and less insulting. Sorry again, and thanks.
Tyuru
...with so many things to be, who can decide?

Words: 49876
Joined roleplay: April 11th, 2010, 4:00 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet

Training threads

Postby Tarot on April 20th, 2010, 3:55 pm

Hey Tyuru,

don't worry about sounding whiny - these are very legit questions. :) Mods won't award XPs to threads until they are finished, so they won't step in until you ask them. You should prod the local mods via their office threads or PM for them to review your thread. The exception is when the thread was moderated, in which case the mod involved will award the XPs without the need to ask.

Yes, flashbacks can receive XPs too. It's actually one of the main reason people post them, in addition to character development. It's a way for a PC to acquire a skill that didn't make it to the starting package due to a shortage of points. :)
Tarot's thread tickets: sold out. Not accepting any more threads for the time being unless I promised you one. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Tarot
May you live in interesting times

Words: 766317
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (11)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Being Tarot Award (1)
O RLY Decoration (1)

Training threads

Postby Tyuru on April 22nd, 2010, 2:35 pm

Oh, okay, awesome xD
I'm glad I wasn't whiny, I didn't want to sound like ONGZ IM NOT GETTING XP IS MAI WRITINGS RLY THAT BAD?!
-coughcough-
Thanks for your help. Cluelessness is not a feeling I enjoy, and huzzah! you have cured it. xD
I apologise profusely to anybody who may have been in a roleplay with me that I kind of started ignoring or that I haven't been answering. I haven't been on Mizahar in the last couple of months (not by my own choice, though!!). I think Tyuru needs some major character revision because I have been completely insensitive to people who have actually been through what she's experienced. I'm taking some time out to make her character more realistic and less insulting. Sorry again, and thanks.
Tyuru
...with so many things to be, who can decide?

Words: 49876
Joined roleplay: April 11th, 2010, 4:00 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet