[Flashback] Techniques of Persausion [Self-Mod]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

[Flashback] Techniques of Persausion [Self-Mod]

Postby Syfec Morbus on September 24th, 2009, 10:36 pm

Effective Timestamp: 5th day of Spring, 504 AV

Syfec smiled as he pondered his early days, filled with multiple tutors and studies. Back when he was being trained for politics. His parents were rather wealthy, and so he was grouped with other rich children and taught by practitioners of only the highest prestige. Such was the man he was remembering now, an early Rhetoric tutor, who taught him the valued skills he would use in all later business and political deals and arguments.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The small class of 9 students was already assembled in the chairs provided by Rassos Mictorus , a rhetorician of some prestige, when the sun reached the center of the sky. The children became anxious, Syfec in particular, for their studies this day. Working with Rassos Mictorus was not a thing to take lightly, to be assembled in his own estate was an even higher honor. This opportunity was a testament to Rutariun wealth.

As he entered the room, he exuded an air of confidence and power. He was a tall, well built man, who had just passed his 30th year on Mizahar. He had perfectly groomed, medium length, brown hair that complimented his short, trimmed beard. He was a classically handsome man, no doubt, and that only bolstered the command he already held over the students' attention.

The room was silent as he entered and remained in a dead silence until he broke right out into his lesson. "I am Rassos Mictorus." He declared in a booming, powerful, yet sweet voice. "I shall be instructing you in the area of Rhetoric."

The students all nodded in reply, too intimidated to say anything. Syfec admired the man already. Completely commanding a room of people you had never met before was a sign of true respect and something that Syfec aspired to do one day. Hopefully these lessons would aid him in his quest.

Rassos spoke again. "I shall waste no more time on introductions. You should already know my credentials and I have no need of knowing yours. This lesson is on the basics of Rhetoric and shall be the only topic of our discussion." Rassos surveyed the class mood before continuing his lesson. "We will be focusing on the persuasive aspect of Rhetoric. While delivering your speech or argument, there are three major subjects you can touch upon, or rather devices you will use to appeal to your audience and make them see things your way. These are known as Ethos, Pathos, and Logos." He paused for a moment before asking, "Can anyone tell me what area Ethos appeals to? Raise your hand to answer and I will call on you."

Syfec's hand shot up without a moment's thought. He desperately wanted to be recognized as intelligent, and this was a relatively easy answer. Luckily, Russos pointed to him and said, "State your name and the answer."

Syfec smiled triumphantly and answered without a moment's pause, "Syfec Corealius Rutariun. Pathos appeals to the audience's emotions, and need not be based in fact."

Russos let a half amused smile cross his face, "True, but we are talking of Ethos, Mr. Rutariun." With that, he pointed to another student. Syfec's heart sank, and his face turned a bright red. He was completely embarrassed, more so because he knew the correct answer and his slip up had been purely because of his nerves. He turned his head to the next boy who was called on.

The young blonde haired boy answered correctly, "Tarsis Roster Nailius. Ethos appeals to the credibility of the speaker."
Syfec Morbus
Freelance Reimancer

Words: 13441
Joined roleplay: August 4th, 2009, 1:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

Re: [Flashback] Techniques of Persausion [Self-Mod]

Postby Syfec Morbus on September 25th, 2009, 1:40 am

"Correct" Rassos commended. "And such this will be the topic of our studies today: How to convince your audience that you are the right person to be talking about your particular subject. Also, Ethos involves convincing the audience of your upstanding moral character, in an effort to convince them that you would not lead them astray."

Rassos looked at the class and asked a semi-rhetorical question; "If you were making an argument or trying to persuade me to do or think something, and I asked you 'Why should I believe you?' what would you say?"

He paused for a moment before continuing, "You're answer to that question would be using or relating to the device of Ethos." He smiled, seeing that he conveyed it quite clearly. "Now, within the over-arching umbrella approach known as Ethos, there are several methods through which you can make the audience view you as a high-ethos speaker... Anybody have any suggestions on how that would be done?"

Again Syfec's hand shot up, and he was pointed to once again. This was his chance to redeem himself. "Syfec Rutarian." He reiterated, hoping to ingrain his name into the tutor's memory, "You could convince them that you know a lot about what you are talking about. Maybe that you are an expert in the area?"

"True." Rassos said with a stroke of his chin, "That would be using Logos in unison with Ethos. Any other thoughts?"

Syfec smiled, hopeful that he no longer looked like some nervous young idiot and instead a serious student. After Syfec, another student was called on. One of the few girls in the class responded, "Janelle Darmasius. You could also try to convince them that you are an honest and good person, and are generally looking out for the audience's well being."

Rassos smiled, "Yes! Correct. Those are the other main points to make when appealing to Ethos. If possible, it is best to touch on all of the aspects of Ethos when making your argument. You want to show them that you are qualified to speak on the subject through showing them that you are knowledgeable in the area in question. The next aspect is to show the audience that you are an honest and upstanding citizen. Show them that you can be trusted. Finally they should be given a sense that you are looking out for their best interest. Obviously you won't be able to use all of these approaches in every situation, but try to touch on as many as you can."

"I try to establish Ethos at the beginning of my arguments. Through trial and error in my countless delivered speeches, I have found that audiences will listen to what you are trying to say more intently to what you say, if they already believe what you're going to say in true and relevant. Use it in your own arguments as a first point, laying a solid foundation for what you say next to stand on.

Syfec smiled, noticing the teacher's use of the concept he was teaching while teaching. It was quite interesting and Syfec was sure to include it in his notes, which held all the main points of the discussion uc to this point. Rassos, noticing that Syfec had caught his little pun, gave him a wink and concluded the brief overview of Ethos with a review.

"Now let's go over the main points again. Rutarian can start us off. What are the three main approaches to persuasive rhetoric?"

Syfec answered with palpable happiness, "Ethos, Pathos and Logos."

The review continued, but Syfecd heard none of it. He was busy focusing on that fact that Rassos Mictorus had remembered his name. His quest had started, now he just had to get noticed more. Perhaps another chance would come up in class, since they still had a nice bit of time left until there lesson was over, at least by Syfec's reasoning.
Syfec Morbus
Freelance Reimancer

Words: 13441
Joined roleplay: August 4th, 2009, 1:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet