Yay, more questions!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Yay, more questions!

Postby Nastya on June 22nd, 2010, 11:39 am

When i initially came onto the site i was under the impression that your avatar had to be a image of your character? Is this true?

Do you have to have a picture of your character on your CS if you're new?

I was reading up on Gnosis marks, and i have a clarity question. I want you to know from the get-go that i do not purposfully intend for my character to specifically get a cursed Gnosis mark or anything, its purely for my own personal storage of knowledge. It says in the wiki that cursed Gnosis marks are basically nasty and gross looking. So, for example, if a Gnosis mark is a circle a good Gnosis mark would be a good-looking pretty circle. However, if it was a cursed Gnosis mark it would be a nasty, sickly, burned mark but it will still be the initial circle. Correct?

I was also reading up on some of the God/dess encounters. All of these were posted by a Admin/Moderator/Storyteller. If a character was supposed to have a dream (and just a dream), say in a flashback, would that person have to get the permission of a Admin/Moderator/Storyteller or would the Admin/etc/etc... have to actually roleplay it out?
I think it would be rather boring for the Admin/etc/etc... and the roleplayer if the Admin/etc had to roleplay it out how the roleplayer wanted it so that the roleplayer could better develope a character. Although i suppose that the Admin wouldn't do it unless it was a broad spectrum that the dream could follow either...

As i was reading the Valterra and the God's I ran into Ivak. He was the one who started the Valterra in the first place, wouldnt he be feared by most Mizaharians? It is said that he is misunderstood, so do most Mizaharians know what actually took place? Or was is viewed as 'The mighty Volcano Patron God got angry and blew his top nearly destroying Mizahar altogeather'?

I also read up on Vayt. He is the god of poison, and the Symenestra are born with a natural posion. Vayt is also stated to be challanged by everything, would the Symenestra eventually gain his attention? Or do they not really concern him yet? Why dont the Symenestra worship him, since they do have poison? Or is he one of those 'little known about' gods?
How does Vayt deliver his "gifts" onto Mizahar? Through the Tainted? Or is it just on of those 'It happens' things that just arent explained because 'its a mystery'? Or does The Shroud deliver these gifts?

I also read on Rhysol. He is the god of evil, yet he doesnt seem to have a very big fanbase. It seems like only The Black Sun and The Voice seem to follow him. Are there other worshippers? Or would they mostly keep to themselves due to the fact that they are worshiping a evil diety?
I know that if you wanted a encounter with The Black Sun, The Voice, or The Shroud you would have to have a Admin/Moderator/Storyteller roleplay it out, but what if you just wanted to have a dream about them?

Kyu was the first Voice, and she was also Rhysol's wife. She was also human. Was she "promoted" up to being a Goddess for being the wife of a God, and for being so evil, or did she eventually die of old age?

If you made it this far, i congradulate you. It must have been a endevour. I appreciate it that you have read through this. I really didn't think it was fair to PM all of these questions to one Admin/Moderator/Storyteller, especially since they have something better to do and there is always the possibility that someone else has these same questions.
If you want to tell me that i'm a dummy for not realizing most of these questions on my own, please PM me your rants. I dont want anger/boredom to spam up the boards. D:

Please know that if you do answer one of these questions i will inevitably ask more, and don't feel like you have to answer all of these at once. Yes, i do know that Mizahar is not real life but that doesnt make it any less intersting. I would like to make that clear. Personally learning is a fun way for me to do anything, even if it is learning about something outside of my real life. c:
Thank you again~
Last edited by Nastya on June 23rd, 2010, 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-x-x-x-x-x-x-
Nastya
The moon is peering in your cradle~

Words: 15587
Joined roleplay: May 26th, 2010, 2:11 am
Blog: View Blog (4)
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Yay, more questions!

Postby Charon on June 23rd, 2010, 2:06 am

I suppose I'll have a go at a few of your questions!

Your avatar does not necessarily have to be of your character. Though it is the first thing people see when you post and it is a representation of your character account, so most people want it to represent their character in some way (either a picture, symbol, etc).

There is no requirement to have a picture of your character on your CS. It is highly recommended simply because it adds to much to the game and, as a storyteller, when I view a CS and can actually visualize a character it makes writing about that character much easier and provides a more fun and fulfilling experience for everybody involved. With that said, take your time, but I would make an effort to get a picture there as soon as you can (either find a photo, create one, edit it, ask somebody to help you, etc).

All gnosis marks are different for each deity represented by it. Locations vary and the physical appearance vary. Each god/goddess should have a description of their positive and negative marks on their wiki page.

A player shall not roleplay any god/goddess appearance. If you were to dream about one in vivid detail and perhaps interact with a deity, it would need moderator approval and/or involvement. If you had a generic dream and your character was not sure if it was the deity, or they had an idea it was but there were no descriptions or other identifying characteristics present, you might be able to do it on your own. We do this because the deities created for this game are so unique and, like many, are so powerful that they need to be highly controlled by those who ultimately "run" the game. It's a big deal when a character has an interaction with a god or goddess so those moments do indeed require a moderator. You can always feel free to PM the local storyteller and explain what you want out of the dream/interaction and the may be quite willing to oblige!

As far as the Valterrian is concerned, I believe most in Mizahar at least have an general understanding of what happened. They are, after all, only the fifth generation since it happened and some races, such as the Akalak, have some who were around shortly after it occurred. There will always be some speculation and differing interpretations, but the main idea is generally accept across the continent.

As far as Ivak and Vayt go, those are specific questions I would rather defer to somebody who had a larger hand in creating them. People know of Ivak's contribution to the Valterrian but as you said, he is misunderstood by many in Mizahar. Concerning the Symenestra, they chiefly worship Viratas, the god of blood, but I could easily see how some may also worship Vayt or at least keep the poison god in mind. Again, the creator of the race or somebody generally more familiar with them may be a better source of an actual answer for you here!

With Rhysol, follows would have to be mindful of where they are and the company they share before completely and outwardly worshipping him. Others would certainly judge a person for being an obvious and highly devout follower of the god of evil. There may be some who consider him quietly and others who are just more careful about when and where they worship him, however. As for Kyu, I'm not touching that one! You'll definitely need somebody such as a founder who has more knowledge of the general creation of the deities to answer that one for you!

Whew, hoped that helped, and what a great place to ask such questions! Keep them coming and I'm sure you won't have many complaints from those who reply.
| - Riverfall - | - Akalak - | - Starting Guide - |

Charon
Fiendish Ferryman

Words: 99186
Joined roleplay: January 25th, 2010, 1:36 am
Blog: View Blog (2)
Race: Staff account
Office

Yay, more questions!

Postby Nastya on June 23rd, 2010, 7:34 am

I was sure that was the general case for the avatar's, i was only looking for clarification. c:
Although it was pretty hard to find a good picture of a short haired girl who didnt have alot of piercings. In fact, the picture i currently use had alot of piercings which i edited out.

I was looking through some of the God/dess wiki pages and some definatly give definitions for what happens when one is marked, but not what it looks like on the body or where. The goddess of wisdom and the goddess of healing are the only two where i have found a actual picture of what the marks looked like. So would the Storyteller/Moderator/Admin who would inevidably roleplay this out give all of the information onto the mark if a character was dubbed one by a God/dess where the mark wasn't explained in their wiki? Say, for example, Vayt. He has given out a Gnosis mark, but there is no picture or description of what it looks like or what happens to them on a higher level than their first mark.

I can understand the need for approval for when a character interacted with a god/dess. I was really just making sure. c:

I have read up alot about Virata's, since i play a Symenestra, and i can understand why they worship him. I will just have to see if Columbina finds her way here. I have already bombarded her with a million questions, and i dont think she wants me to fill her PM box up any more than it already is. xD

For Rhysol, i figured that would be the case. I know that if i worshiped the god of evil, which i dont, i would definatly want to keep it a secret unless i was with other followers. And the dreams would definatly need to be monitored/roleplayed out.

Wow, you answered most of those! Is there anyone that you know of that i could specifically hunt down to ask questions about these dieties? Although I'm sure they will eventually find their way here in the future.
You are so awesome! Thank you for your help~
-x-x-x-x-x-x-
Nastya

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Yay, more questions!

Postby Gossamer on June 23rd, 2010, 5:12 pm

I find centering very annoying. Just thought you should know. It makes it a little awkward to read, so I'm quoting all of this instead so I don't have to scroll up and review.

I was reading up on Gnosis marks, and i have a clarity question. I want you to know from the get-go that i do not purposfully intend for my character to specifically get a cursed Gnosis mark or anything, its purely for my own personal storage of knowledge. It says in the wiki that cursed Gnosis marks are basically nasty and gross looking. So, for example, if a Gnosis mark is a circle a good Gnosis mark would be a good-looking pretty circle. However, if it was a cursed Gnosis mark it would be a nasty, sickly, burned mark but it will still be the initial circle. Correct?

Most Gnosis marks we deliberately didn't describe because we wanted people to feel the individual need to create their own marks that fit more with their character. Some, however, make sense to have a description. Thus, Avalis does have a Seer's Lily - which makes sense - while Nikali has a length of chain... but the way it forms doesn't necessarily need to be specific. Zulrav's hurricane, etc.

Negative marks don't necessarily look ugly. They are just negative. They can look identical and be passed off, in some cases, as positive marks. They are, after all, just a tracking device. In individual rps were a pc receives a negative mark, I'm sure one will be described.

I was also reading up on some of the God/dess encounters. All of these were posted by a Admin/Moderator/Storyteller. If a character was supposed to have a dream (and just a dream), say in a flashback, would that person have to get the permission of a Admin/Moderator/Storyteller or would the Admin/etc/etc... have to actually roleplay it out?

As Charon pointed out, all God/dess encounters must be moderated. Why? You should read some of the HD tickets we get where people write up their past historic encounters with these deities - people have some really wild ideas. We'd like to remain true to the spirit of the god/dess as its creator intended.

I think it would be rather boring for the Admin/etc/etc... and the roleplayer if the Admin/etc had to roleplay it out how the roleplayer wanted it so that the roleplayer could better develope a character. Although i suppose that the Admin wouldn't do it unless it was a broad spectrum that the dream could follow either...

I don't mind as long as the plot isn't dictated blow by blow. I get a little cranky at that. I tend to even refuse threads if people start dictating to me how they want their adventures to go. That's just annoying. Also, dreams don't have to be real. They can be DREAMS. You don't need mod approval for a dream unless it was a real encounter. But. .that being said you can't have that dream impart knowledge because thats hugely cliche. "I dreamed the Valterrian wasn't Ivak's fault!'. Etc.

As i was reading the Valterra and the God's I ran into Ivak. He was the one who started the Valterra in the first place, wouldnt he be feared by most Mizaharians? It is said that he is misunderstood, so do most Mizaharians know what actually took place? Or was is viewed as 'The mighty Volcano Patron God got angry and blew his top nearly destroying Mizahar altogeather'?

He's the one everyone thinks started the Valterrian. Assumptions will get you no where fast in this game though because thats the furthest from the truth. It's accepted lore that he lost his mind and almost destroyed the world but he didn't do it on purpose...

I also read up on Vayt. He is the god of poison, and the Symenestra are born with a natural posion. Vayt is also stated to be challanged by everything, would the Symenestra eventually gain his attention? Or do they not really concern him yet? Why dont the Symenestra worship him, since they do have poison? Or is he one of those 'little known about' gods?
How does Vayt deliver his "gifts" onto Mizahar? Through the Tainted? Or is it just on of those 'It happens' things that just arent explained because 'its a mystery'? Or does The Shroud deliver these gifts?

Colombina created the Symenestra and I created Vayt. I suspect thats why the two are somewhat separate of each other. You'd have to ask her. Vayt is an equal opportunity guy. He'd love to make a Symenestra his follower just as much as he'd love a human one. He's misunderstood too. Vayt is not evil. I've tried to stress this in his writeup using this...

While most people feel Vayt's presence is a menace on Mizahar which indeed spreads suffering and heartbreak, Vayt will politely disagree. He would argue, without pause, that his presence strengthens humanity and the populations of animals, plants and people on Mizahar. Disease sweeps through populations, no matter what sort it is, and eliminates all the weak and infirm, leaving only the strongest to survive and breed to perpetuate strength within the world. Vayt has often been seen in Izurdin's company and rumors among the religiously educated place the two deities as companions of a sort. Reality places both deities more at odds in a friendly sort of way. Vayt's actions promote strength in the world due to eliminating the weak and thinning out populations that perhaps grow to fast too quickly where resources won't support growth.

He culls the weak and got a big kick out of Ivak's blowup because it let him take a vacation and relax a bit. The evil laughter is just a myth ... note whenever its said 'It is said...' that means its not fact... just assumption. If I ever get the Shroud's writeup done, you'll find out. :)

I also read on Rhysol. He is the god of evil, yet he doesnt seem to have a very big fanbase. It seems like only The Black Sun and The Voice seem to follow him. Are there other worshippers? Or would they mostly keep to themselves due to the fact that they are worshiping a evil diety?
I know that if you wanted a encounter with The Black Sun, The Voice, or The Shroud you would have to have a Admin/Moderator/Storyteller roleplay it out, but what if you just wanted to have a dream about them?

Rhysol is everywhere. He's got a whole city politely infested with his worshipers. I don't think Ravok is as active as it could be because its HARD to play evil and do it without being ridiculous. Its much easier to be a gray adventurer or a shining hero.
Kyu was the first Voice, and she was also Rhysol's wife. She was also human. Was she "promoted" up to being a Goddess for being the wife of a God, and for being so evil, or did she eventually die of old age?

The Voices are all Alivna. Alvina are in essence immortal though they can be killed... and have been. Nuff said there.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Yay, more questions!

Postby Nastya on June 23rd, 2010, 9:12 pm

I had no idea that centering got on your nerves. I personally think it makes the post look cleaner, i will have to be sure not to do it again. I edited it so that it wouldnt get on your nerves. ^^

Negative marks don't necessarily look ugly. They are just negative. They can look identical and be passed off, in some cases, as positive marks. They are, after all, just a tracking device. In individual rps were a pc receives a negative mark, I'm sure one will be described.

That's the reason i asked. I was under the impression that if you had a negative Gnosis mark that it would be very eery looking, but now i know. c:

I don't mind as long as the plot isn't dictated blow by blow. I get a little cranky at that. I tend to even refuse threads if people start dictating to me how they want their adventures to go. That's just annoying. Also, dreams don't have to be real. They can be DREAMS. You don't need mod approval for a dream unless it was a real encounter. But. .that being said you can't have that dream impart knowledge because thats hugely cliche. "I dreamed the Valterrian wasn't Ivak's fault!'. Etc.

Ah, so no cliche dreams that try to prove the lore incorrect. I understand that dreams are, well, dreams... but i myself have very realistic dreams. Not just flying through a magical cloud and rainbows. So, as long as it wasn't a dream about the past or a dream with a diety that reveals information (Like "Jim-Bob your horse will die from being stabbed in the eye") you dont need mod approval.

He's the one everyone thinks started the Valterrian. Assumptions will get you no where fast in this game though because thats the furthest from the truth. It's accepted lore that he lost his mind and almost destroyed the world but he didn't do it on purpose...

I know that Ivak was, in a sense, grieving for the loss of his love and that if i lost someone that i loved i would probably go insane as well. It still doesnt change the fact that he nearly destroyed the world, and i would be pretty scared if i heard his name. So would some Mizaharian's fear him? Or just that he holds that much power?

I think i understand Vayt better now. I never really thought he was evil, just doing his job.

Rhysol is everywhere. He's got a whole city politely infested with his worshipers. I don't think Ravok is as active as it could be because its HARD to play evil and do it without being ridiculous. Its much easier to be a gray adventurer or a shining hero.

I must have missed Ravok whenever i was reading through Rhysol's wiki, that would have saved me alot of time and have solved some of those questions. I agree that i can be hard to play just plain "evil". Most of the time when i try to play evil they turn out insane. Wich isnt that much fun, because then they have a "reason" for why they are doing what they are doing.

The Voices are all Alivna. Alvina are in essence immortal though they can be killed... and have been. Nuff said there.

They are? Well...now i feel like a really big dunce.

Thank you for helping me with these questions. Especially since they are just for my own personal gain and not really for the development of my character. I'm sorry that i annoyed you with my centered post, i promise it wasn't intentional.
I also dont want it to seem like i am trying to start a argument, because i'm not. I really just want to understand Mizahar's lore better since it is so interesting.
c:
-x-x-x-x-x-x-
Nastya

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Yay, more questions!

Postby Gossamer on June 23rd, 2010, 9:40 pm

Any annoyingly centered text isn't a direct reflection on the person posting being annoying. :) Sorry if I came off testy in that. I'd much rather have people ask questions and want clarity than go on being stumped or ask somewhere that they might get misinformation. Don't worry about missing the fact that Ravok is a huge evil city... it happens. Yes, some Mizaharian's fear Ivak.

Gillar also told me to point out that if you're married to the God of Evil, you're gonna eventually get kicked to the curb or get old whenever the next pretty/smart/intriguing etc female comes into view. The Voices tend to claw their way up to the top anyhow. :) And the current one is listed on the Religion page in the Alvina section.

Happy Gaming.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Yay, more questions!

Postby Nastya on June 28th, 2010, 3:01 am

I would expect as much from the god of evil and some of his followers. I saw the current Voice in its wiki, but i forgot her name.
Thank you for helping me with my questions. Your awesome!
-x-x-x-x-x-x-
Nastya

Character sheet
Scrapbook