[Work in progress] Remis

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, all the character sheets are kept for player characters. Feel free to come on in, browse the forum, look at what sort of characters others have created, and then begin your very own!

Moderator: Liaisons

Remis

Postby Remis on June 14th, 2013, 8:47 pm

Remis

Rogue Scholar

Appearance

Race: Inarta
Caste: Chiet
Birthday: 12, Winter, 490
Birthplace: Wind Reach

Appearance:
Ruins, caverns, cliff faces... That's where you'll find me.

The Inarta are known for a wide varieties of features that are rather rare in the rest of the humans- their burning red hair and bird-like eyes are the most prominent of these traits. They're often shorter than their cousins and in desperate need of a tan. Remis, being an Inarta through and through, very clearly possesses all of these traits- if it weren't for the garb he always wore to conceal his identity, he would easily be identified by anyone who even remotely knew of his sub-species.

The thief stands at a meager 5'10'', weighing in naked at around 160 pounds. His thin body is accentuated with toned muscle earned from years of hard labor. Though he could not be said to be a brute of man, he is apparently very physically capable. Between his shoulder blades is the gnosis mark of Akajia- a simple black triangle, pointing toward his head.

His hair is kept fairly short and neat- the auburn locks dangle just over his forehead and completely clear of his ears. True to his culture, he has a single braid in his hair that runs from the front left of his bangs and is pulled back behind his left ear- it is kept together with simple black thread, with a single glass bead adorning the end. Remis likes to think his simplistic hair style brings out the bronze-color of his narrow eyes, which in turn accentuates his pointed nose and thin lips.

The outfit of this thief does not change very often at all- almost always, he wears simple white undergarments under a full suit of malleable leather armor- made flexible so that it does hinder him from climbing. Though it doesn't provide a ton in the way of protection, it does allow him to avoid being all cut up and bruised from jagged edges and falling to the ground (the latter of which happens for than he would care to admit). Over this armor is a simple brown cloak with the hood pulled up- after all, what thief lets his identity be known to the world?

Character Concept

"I don't often get asked who I am or what I do. In fact, I'm fairly... unnoticed to most of the world. Due to my line of work, I like to keep it that way. Stepping on the toes of those who have very big feet is not a wise decision, I like to think. However, I do enjoy the charm about you... I suppose I can impart you with a few tidbits about my character.

I was born as a fairly low-ranking commoner in my place of origin, Wind Reach. Though I am proud of my lineage and the abilities of my people, I must place emphasis on my solemn disappointment with their willingness to go along with the vast amount of ignorance present in not only our society, but our entire world. The only true purpose I attribute to myself is the pursuit of knowledge, whatever it may be- therefore, you can imagine my discontent with the general state of my people.

Oh, that was rather personal, wasn't it? I do apologize. I didn't mean to magnify your infatuation with me any further. Please, ignore my ramblings.

Go on? Well... if you insist.

I've decided to spend my life utilizing my rather peculiar set of skills to understand the civilization before us- perhaps, one day, I will contribute to the knowledge of humanity as a whole. I am traveling across the various nations and exploring the mysteries within them. I dive headfirst into ruins and caverns with not a thought but my dedication to uncover the secrets within them! However, my regular intrusions into places often considered hazardous, is usually not viewed kindly by my peers. The people of my homeland are very callous when it comes to who should play what role in society and mine is... well, it doesn't involve anything pertinent to my passions."

Character History

The Inarta have always been known for their unrelenting willpower and fierce determination to do whatever is necessary to live in this harsh world. They work long, hard days with little reward for their admirable efforts- one could argue that work in itself is inefficient and leads to little progress for those who wish to rise up through the unforgiving caste system. In fact, one of the pillars of Inartan society is to respect this inherent inequality in others and to enforce by the means necessary. There are some in this aforementioned society that do not deem this social structure necessary, or even helpful.

Remis, as a typical Inarta born to lowly Dek parents, did have one fortunate event happen early on in life. At the age of 9, his Yasi group took a trip to the Courtyard of the Sky during a market day. Remis, being the devious fellow he was, lead himself away from the group and explored the markets alone. A merchant by the name of Eldritch saw the boy and took him into his stall for a few hours. To Remis' confusion and partial wonder, the man sold books that were not available in the Inarta enclave. He was an Avanthal distributor who spent most of the year in Wind Reach, selling books that taught a variety of things- history, trades, life lessons, etc. The young Inarta was fascinated with the man, and began coming back whenever he could.

Eldritch grew fond of the boy, and took the young man under his wing when he was in the city. It was not long after his 11th birthday that Eldritch revealed his secondary profession to the young man, as well as his true purpose for being in Wind Reach- he was something of an information broker for those among the castes who wished to increase their status through unconventional means. He sold secrets to competitors, and ran a loose ring of spies from Avanthal who traveled over to Wind Reach with him. Though reluctant at first, Eldritch's influence over Remis led him to be comfortable around the man as well as even participate in his business. He ran the book stall when allowed, and was even asked to deliver certain messages to members of Wind Reach.

As he attended various classes throughout his schooling years, the growing man did not make terribly many friends. He found that their willingness to compel to the system at hand repulsive, and therefore he could not bring himself to truly let them into his heart- the people of Wind Reach are known for being terrible at holding back their deeply passionate emotions, after all. Though he took well to his studies, Remis found that most of his time was spent learning the tricks of the trade that Eldritch exposed him to during his earlier years- the art of living above the law for the sake of betterment of society, in his mind. All Inarta's have their duty- and Remis' was to fix the civilization at hand. He understood that the barbaric caste system at hand would do no good in this changing world, and that it was his personal responsibility to see that his people flourished among the rising nations.

But how?

Stealing from the rich only angered those who could truly change the society. Speaking to the masses about the injustices they all suffered could start a bloody rebellion between the social classes, if it worked at all. It seemed as if there was no peaceful way to bring a society to understand it's inherent flaws... unless they could see how their flaws had turned out before. History is the best teacher, thought the young Remis. He would educate the movers and shakers of the society before them and make them understand that if they did not fix their wrongs, all that Inarta worked for would come to a grinding halt as it crashed down upon them.

At the age of 15, Remis was selected by Eldritch to work as his apprentice- a member of the chiet caste. He promptly informed the kind man that selected him that he wished to research the secrets of times past and the other rising societies. He found his goal to be admirable, but had no way of assisting him. Due to his lack of resources (and perhaps just genuine greed), Eldritch allowed Remis to work for him as another one of his spies. He promised that the tools he would learn from this line of work would leave the young man with the ability to do what he wished. The young Inarta bought it.

As Remis grew older, he found that the harsh costs of living in this world would not permit him to undertake the massive task he had set before himself years ago. Though he toiled away day and night in search of ways to earn more money via his trade, the young man found no such luck in his hands. so He could never find a way for him to leave his home for longer than a few days- barely enough time to get outside the mountain range itself. He needed to work to eat. He needed to eat to live. He needed to live to work. It seemed as if his grand undertaking was coming to a solemn close-

But then she appeared. Akajia, the Goddess of Night, came to Remis on one night where he found that no matter how passionate he was about a subject, he could not decipher all the mysteries presented to him. The goddess, for reasons he has yet to decipher, granted him the ability to speak to the shadows of Mizahar. With this newfound ability, the Inarta has found a new source of hope for his youthful aspirations.

Language

Fluent Language: Nari, Markath
Basic Language: Common
Poor Language: --

Skills

Skill EXP Total Proficiency
Stealth 10 SP 10 Novice
Intelligence 10 SP 10 Novice
Archery: Shortbow 10 SP, 10 RB 20 Novice
Lockpicking 10 SP 10 Novice
Persuasion 10 SP 10 Novice

+10 Archery: Shortbow (Racial Bonus)

Night Stalking Gnosis - One Mark - Akajia
The singularly marked individual instantly knows the language of Makath and can communicate with shadows. They suddenly understand that shadows are not simply the absence of light in an otherwise lit space or the rough image cast by an object blocking rays of illumination. Shadows instead become sentient creatures for those Akajia marks. Because they become sentient creatures, the Night Stalker can talk to them. This does not mean that the individual can get them to tell him or her what he wants to know. Time and reputation must be built at this level, and shadows must be befriended. Night Stalkers with one mark can see clearly into shadows as if they are not there, although shadows do not disappear for them completely. Night Stalkers with one mark have excellent night vision and often feel at home in the complete darkness. At this level, the marked begin to yearn to know secrets and their ability to ferret them out begins to manifest. Night Stalkers literally often stumble upon mysteries and cannot simply help but solve them in their own minds. A Night Stalker keeps secrets and are truly reluctant to give them up; however, they can be 'convinced' to through bribery, torture, or simple exploitation.

Lores

Lore of Inarta Culture
Lore of History of Valterrian

Possessions

-Simple Shirt
-Simple Undergarments
-Leather ankle boots
-1 Waterskin

1 Backpack which contains:
  • -Comb (Bone)
  • -Brush (Metal)
  • -Soap
  • -Razor
  • -Balanced Rations (1 Week's worth)
  • -1 eating knife
  • -Flint & Steel

-Light Leather Armor (Night)
-Assassin's Dagger
-Shortbow
-Arrow, Flight x 20
-3 pinions

Heirloom:
Tools of the Trade (Thieves' Tools)
Inarta do not have family in the normal sense. Most of the population is completely unaware of the identity of their parents and Remis is no exception. However, the man that is closest to him gifted him with a set of tools that has led the Inarta to a line of work unknown to many. In the kit is a full of set of lockpicks, handsaws, pins, and other necessities for getting into places where you might be unwanted.

Housing

House: A small apartment in one of the many wings of the commonrooms. It is kept fairly barren, seeing as Remis does not own many possessions. The floor is often riddled with random books borrowed from Eldritch.

Ledger

Purchase Cost Total
Starting +100 Pinions 100 Pinions
Night Leather Armor -60 Pinions 40 Pinions
Assassin's Dagger -4 Pinions 36 Pinions
Shortbow -30 Pinions 6 Pinions
Arrows, Flight (20) -3 Pinions 3 Pinions

Thread List
SS Thread
Remis
Player

Words: 8762