[Flashback] A life for a life [Solo]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Encompassing a vast wilderness filled with flora and fauna of immense proportions, the Northern Reaches include all the Talderian Forest north of the Suvan and stretch into the vast permanent tundra and ice fields outside Avanthal.

Postby Tressa on June 30th, 2010, 2:42 am

The days last rays of sunlight danced across the forest floor in intricate patterns, finding it's way through the thick treetops above. A cool breeze moved through the trees, the last remnants of the storm that had shaken the forest only hours before. Still the plip plop of the puddled rain dripping from the vegetation could be heard against the song bird's lullaby's. The forest was calm, all the creatures had nestled into their homes for the night. Well, except those that were waking up, readying themselves for their night time hunts.

“This would be so much faster if you flew and I ran” Tressa said begrudgingly, turning her nose up at the mud that found its way between her toes with each step. “You should have worn your boots, traveling that way has many disadvantages” Her brother stated, his voice carrying much further than her ears. “Such as?” She questioned defiantly, then like children's minds do, he though process changed entirely. “Tag you're it”She shouted before slapping her brother's back playfully and running off ahead of him into the night. Her feet landed soundlessly against the damp earth and wet plants slapped across her bare legs. Her pupils had become wide and full in the dim light and she seen everything with clarity. The crunching of her brother's boots against the earth was nearing and Tressa sought cover. Ducking behind a large broad leafed plant she giggled softly, it was the perfect hiding spot. She would be able to see her brother as he passed. She knew he would tag her back and she hated being it. “I'm going to get you” His words carried only a hint of sarcasm and Tressa bit her lip in determination. As his footsteps drew nearer she crawled deeper into the plant, brushing away spiderwebs, until her back rested against the stalk of the plant. She couldn't see him yet but he was close.

Suddenly his footsteps stopped, he must be listening for me, she thought. Steadying her excited breathing, she forced herself to concentrate. She listened carefully, to everything around her. Above her the scattering of tree dwellers and the occasional chitter met her ears, somewhere in the vegetation a small creature sat cleaning it's self. But her brother made no noise. Damn him, he will not outsmart me, she thought, crawling slowly towards the thick barrier of leaves that kept her hidden. A stick snapped under her weight as she crawled, startling her. Caught up in her own moment of surprise she was caught off guard by the sound of another voice. “Give me the satchel at your waist and I will spare your life.” it was a deep tone, a new sound, not her brother. Her brother's reply rang just as clear. “No.” Realizing what was happening Tressa fought the impulse to rush out to his aide.

Her brother had no weapon, it had been traded off for food in the last town. Hinting there had been horrid and it was a last resort. Placing a slender hand to her ankle, Tressa felt for the dagger strapped there, its cool blade met her hand and she felt reassured. She would go to his aide, but not in a rush. The element of surprise was her advantage, being only a child, to rush a full grown man was foolish. Carefully she crawled from her cover, listening for even the tiniest noise that may mean there were more of them. Standing slowly, using the night as her camofluage Tressa stood. She removed her loose dress with ease, placing it with her pack and the strap that held her dagger back into her hiding spot. If worse came to worse she would morph and find cover in the nearest tree, after maybe taking a bite out of his leg, or using him for a tree, of course. Making her way towards where the voice had come and firmly gripping the dagger's short leather wrapped hilt in her hand she took each step with cautious precision. All the childishness gone from her mind she seen the mud only as a silencer and the plants only as cover. Her heart raced with the adrenaline blood pounded through her veins. I hope this robber is human, if not he's heard me by now. She thought. She wasn't calm. She was excited, and afraid.

“I said give me the satchel at your waist, I will not ask again” The man spoke again. Tressa could sense the severity of his tone and she began to walk faster, they couldn't be far. “No.” Came her brother's reply. She knew he wouldn't part with their money. Their was nothing left to sell, nothing left to trade. Every chance of their survival, their well being, every bit of hope was in that worn piece of crudelyhand stitched leather. She could see them now, a cloaked figure stood before her brother, her brother with his back to a tree. She stood their watching, unsure of her next move. Suddenly the earth seemed to cement her feet to the ground, her heart pounded in her ears and the child in her screamed for it's mother. She watched as the cloaked figure moved slightly, reaching within his garment. Then the reality of the situation struck her. He drew a knife, it's blade reflecting in the scarce moonlight. She closed her eyes, surely her brother would atleast defend himself.

Gathering her courage she ran towards them, with the stealth, agility, and the gracefulness of a tiger. A forced groan came from her brother followed by the sound of cloth snagging the tree bark against his back as he slid to the ground. A mournful cry escaped Tressa's lips as she pounced, jumping onto the man's back as he bent to snatch the satchel from his kill. Wrapping one arm around his neck, and sinking her fingernails deeply into the soft flesh of his throat, she used the other to sink her weapon deeply into his side, just below his ribs. The scent of stale ale and unwashed filth suffocated her heightened sense of smell and she pushed until she felt the hilt stop the blades penetrating. With all her force she twisted the blade, feeling the flesh rip as the man howled trying to throw her off while reaching for his own blade. Warm stickiness flooded onto her hand and she gripped the hilt tighter, unwilling to lose grip of it. The smell of fresh blood mixed into the ale and filth, driving her senses crazy. Furiously she ripped the blade from his side, loosening her grip on his throat she dropped to her feet.

She paused to glance at her brother's lifeless body and a sadness she'd never known filled her. The feeling of being truly alone in the world. Raising her arm again she sunk the dagger once more into the bewildered man. Deep into his back it went, scraping bone and shredding muscle. He turned on her just as she ripped her blade once more from his body. His own blade raised, ready to strike, he paused. “A child” he seemed to laugh the words as he lowered his weapon. “I will not kill a child, even one who deserves to die, the forest will claim your life for me.” Tressa stared the man in his face. His eyes sunken against pale skin, he was a drunk. She laughed silently, what a fool she thought, if he could see me as clearly as I see him, or maybe even if he was sober he would know, I am no ordinary child, foolish humans. Distracted by her low regard for the human race she noticed his intentions far too late. His balled fist landed against her skull and she fell, blinding pain filled her head, earth entered her mouth and it's rich smell filled her nostrils. Still she clutched her blade. The worn leather against her soft palm was soothing and she fought off the remnants of the blow. Pulling her lithe frame from the ground she refused to give up. The man was gone from her sight. Lowering herself down to sit against the tree she pulled her brother's head to her lap and cried.

After some time her mind regained it's previous engagement of the hunt and her senses focused on the forest around her. She knew the man couldn't have gotten far, she had injured him badly, possibly hit an organ and his profuse bleeding would surely slow him down. She knew he'd bleed to death before he ever got far, as drunk as he was his thin blood would escape the wounds fast. Tired from the day and its events she chose sleep over vengeance. Morphing to the form a beautiful young tigress she made her way up the tree, her claws gripping the rough bark easily as she climbed. She knew she wasn't the biggest predator in the forest and she didn't want to be on the menu. Finding a large branch to hold her weight she crawled out onto the limb and laid down. Her brother's killer would die if she found him living in the morning.

The sound of song birds and the bright morning sun woke Tressa. With a loud yawn, that sounded more of a growl, she stood and stretched. Her eyes adjusting to the bright sunlight brought notice of her blood stained paws. The dried crimson shades of brown against her white fur was hard to miss. Now to find him she thought, looking down about the ground. Ah, down, down was always less enjoyable thanup. She had yet to master the skill of climbing down. With her paws clung to the tree in a desperate attempt not to fall she slowly made her descent, one paw at a time, careful, careful, don't look, concentrate, not much further, watch your footing. With her feet firmly on the ground she surveyed the area. Blood stained plants that he's obviously brushed against and his scent led the way. Her belongings could wait they were safe. Searching the ground for her beloved dagger she purred happily sighting it. Picking it up in her mouth she bounded off in the direction of her target. The blood smeared across various plants grew in amount as she ran and the smell of it and ale and filth became more apparent. The trees became more spread out, more plants covered the ground and then suddenly grass tickled the pads of her feet. There was no blood here, only the smell of death and dishonor. It was a bitter smell, yet somehow it pleased her.

Before approaching the limp cloaked form splayed upon the grass she paused, morphing back to her human form she took her dagger in hand. His body was covered with the morning dew, his face to the earth, as if he had tripped or stumbled and died in the very spot. No remorse filled her, no sorrow, no pity. Only the sheer triumph of victory. She focused only on him. With all her might she rolled the heavy body to it's back, paying no attention to the blood soaked clothing, or the cold pale skin, she searched for what was hers. Finding the satchel she snatched it form his waist. She wanted nothing else, only what was hers. Before standing she lowered her head close to the corpses face and whispered a life for a life. Slowly she made her way back to where her belongings were.
"And we danced to the sound of a dying race, around and around beneath a burning sky"
Tressa
The devil's Temptress

Words: 71503
Joined roleplay: June 25th, 2010, 3:56 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Ja'soth on July 2nd, 2010, 2:35 am

Player: Tressa
XP: Dagger=1 XP Unarmed Combat =1 XP
Lore: Lore of Loss of a Sibling
Additional Notes: This was an interesting thread however it is a single post with the skills listed breifly used so unfortunately only one xp could be awarded per skill

Ja'soth
Retired Staff

Words: 37567
Joined roleplay: December 16th, 2009, 5:21 am
Race: Staff account