[Discussion] Para-Elements

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to post all your Mizahar related discussions here.

Postby Nina on June 1st, 2010, 2:16 pm

On what Nya was saying:

I would agree - except we're in a fantasy world, so the laws of science and physics don't necessarily apply. Heck, we're talking about using your very sould to make magic, so I have to disagree and say that logic doesn't really come into it so much. Meh, I could be wrong, though.

In my opinion, also under Earth should be a sort of sub-thingy like Nature. Not to create it, of course - like Tarot said, Gnosis doesn't give life. Just to manipulate nature, like making vines that are already present wrap around your target instead of growing them out of the ground really fast. Or making trees move. But the nature has to already be there, because Gnosis can't be used to give life and make stuff grow. I'm unsure if wood or metal would fall under Earth as an element. Meh, I don't know...

Also, it's my opinion (I have far too many opinions for one person) that Fire + Air should also = will o' the wisp. Imagine the fun possibilities - leading poor PCs astray then attacking them in the dark of night. Ahem. Just saying.
Nina
She Who Searches

Words: 13066
Joined roleplay: May 22nd, 2010, 12:22 pm
Race: Chaktawe
Character sheet

Postby Griffith on June 1st, 2010, 2:50 pm

Actually, I'd argue that rain and all it's nasty forms goes under Water+Air, while ice (thinking glaciers and stalagmites here) seem very Earthy to me, making Ice Water + Earth.

Also, I thought of something for Water... Anyone familiar with what a pressure cleaner does to someone's foot when they stop paying attention and fire it at their foot? It's literally nothing but water, moving very fast; highly pressurized and fired through a nozzle. People lose toes to those things. Now think about what happens if a Reimancer creates a ball of Res and starts peeling off sections in waves to launch at an enemy, turning that narrow beam of Res into pressurized water at the last instant...
“No matter under what circumstances you leave it, home does not cease to be home. No matter how you lived there - well or poorly.”
Griffith
of the Tents of Malkyn, of the sons of Benha

Words: 49339
Joined roleplay: April 21st, 2010, 7:27 am
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Peer Reviewer (1)

Postby Torc Ironwood on June 1st, 2010, 2:55 pm

Ummmmmm No one has mention metal? Personally I was going to use reimancy like a sort of divination. Create a compass that points to elements, it would explain why some people can find water deep underground. Or why just by feeling the warmth in the middle of the air, whether a "ghost" went by. So just my two cents

Earth+Fire+Water=Metal

Earth to bring out the ore, fire to smelt it, water to cool it.
Torc Ironwood
Player

Words: 242252
Joined roleplay: April 2nd, 2010, 1:58 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Lore Author (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Emma on July 5th, 2010, 8:18 pm

I can see metal as all but air. Also, while I agree on ice should be air and water, it is earth and water int he wiki.
A thief is never sorry for stealing, or tricking their victim, or being a thief in general. If fact, the only thing they really are sorry for, it seems, is being caught.
Emma
Player

Words: 27515
Joined roleplay: May 15th, 2010, 12:33 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Griffith on July 5th, 2010, 8:21 pm

I think even the mods agree that the wiki therein is a bit outdated. Could be wrong on that, though.
“No matter under what circumstances you leave it, home does not cease to be home. No matter how you lived there - well or poorly.”
Griffith

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Peer Reviewer (1)

Postby Emma on July 5th, 2010, 8:37 pm

I hope they keep it, though, because Jynx works best if earth and water make ice (A lot of Ice and mud related uses for her)
A thief is never sorry for stealing, or tricking their victim, or being a thief in general. If fact, the only thing they really are sorry for, it seems, is being caught.
Emma
Player

Words: 27515
Joined roleplay: May 15th, 2010, 12:33 am
Character sheet

Postby Griffith on July 5th, 2010, 8:40 pm

I think the problem there is that two specific elements are making two paraelements. Might be more than the mods are looking for. Unsure, though.
Griffith

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Peer Reviewer (1)

Postby Nya Winters on July 6th, 2010, 8:40 am

To quote Nina :

In my opinion, also under Earth should be a sort of sub-thingy like Nature. Not to create it, of course - like Tarot said, Gnosis doesn't give life. Just to manipulate nature, like making vines that are already present wrap around your target instead of growing them out of the ground really fast. Or making trees move. But the nature has to already be there, because Gnosis can't be used to give life and make stuff grow. I'm unsure if wood or metal would fall under Earth as an element. Meh, I don't know...

Absolutely not. That's actually Caiyha's Gnosis - Druidism. I think its a huge stretch to try to go from elements to controlling nature. Stone is not nature. Stone is something completely different. Also, the game focuses heavily on realistic things - bringing as much realism into the game as possible.
Nya Winters
Let the winds in my heart blow...

Words: 784686
Joined roleplay: June 7th, 2009, 6:53 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Trailblazer (1) Never Say Die (1)
Donor (1) 2017 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2017 Top NaNo Word Count (1)