Completed What You Need (Fox)

Fox enlists Tsaba's help to find information

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

What You Need (Fox)

Postby Tsaba on July 5th, 2013, 1:45 pm

A mercenary, then. Tsaba had never met a mercenary either. Would it be dangerous to probe further? Probably not. If he didn't want to share something, he wouldn't.

She turned her attention back to the shelf and began skimming once more with one finger, occasionally pausing on a title. Strategies of Thrust and Parry? Seemed to be more actual swordplay than troop movement. Philosophies of Culture-Specific Attack Formations? Sounded like something she might find useful, but not really what he was looking for.

Tsaba noted that Fox took a proper interest in the book he was holding; not a book for someone else, then. He'd probably just become the leader of his own mercenary band or something. They did that, didn't they? Worked in groups? They always did in the stories. She selected Battlefield Leadership and held it out. If she was right about his circumstances, it might be particularly useful; if not, well, a book like that was bound to have advice on battlefield tactics. "So if you're new here, where are you from?" she asked, more to make conversation than anything.
Thanks to Abstract for the lovely boxcode!
Tsaba
Player

Words: 200581
Joined roleplay: May 26th, 2013, 10:57 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)

What You Need (Fox)

Postby Fox Starseer on July 6th, 2013, 8:16 am

"I hail from Endrykus" Fox said, still looking through the books. "What about you? Are you from Zeltiva?" he asked. He kept looking through books. Some where for archery tactics, others for various other weapons. He looked down at the book he had seen Tsaba reading. As he looked through it he saw a few things he could find useful.

Among the many tactics an aspiring commander can learn is the art of using a smaller force as a distraction or diversion, or, in the event that they are leading a small group, causing a distraction, such as a fire, at a point away from the main area.

Another tactic that can be employed is to make the force seem much larger then it really is, there-by, hopefully, causing one's opponent to reconsider their options.
he read, in his mind.

He looked back at Tsaba and smiled. "I'm starting to like this place already" he said, chuckling softly.

Fox Starseer
Player

Words: 43727
Joined roleplay: March 12th, 2013, 10:23 am
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

What You Need (Fox)

Postby Tsaba on July 6th, 2013, 8:38 am

"Sahova, actually," Tsaba replied. "Nuit," she added by way of explanation, on the off-chance that he hadn't noticed. It was only then that she realised what had been strange about Fox; he hadn't done any sort of double-take when he looked at her. Not fear, no pity, no 'oh dear, are you sick?' that she had grown accustomed to. Perhaps he genuinely hadn't noticed. "I came to Zeltiva to learn."

Moving on before he could ask 'Why leave Sahova for that?' as people usually did, she added, "I've never been to Endrykas. I'm told they're excellent Glyphers there." She bit her lip. "I've also heard rumours of secret Drykas magic that lts them see anything in the plains; that they are so connected to the Sea of Grass that they know of any who set foot there. Is that true?"
Tsaba
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

What You Need (Fox)

Postby Fox Starseer on July 9th, 2013, 4:36 pm

Fox looked at Tsaba as she said she was a Nuit. He hadn't noticed it at first, but now that he took in her looks, he saw the signs. The black around her eyes, and on what little of her tongue he could see when she spoke. Why didn't I notice before? Seems starnge, the signs are so obvious, especially around her eyes he thoughts. "Doesn't that mean you've been brought back to life?" he asked, genuinely curious about it, having never met a Nuit before.

When she brought up his home, he smiled. "Yes we are, it's one of the many things we are known for, as well as our horses" he said. Although you're probably more interested in the magic, since you brought that up and not the horses he thought. He chuckled when she mentioned the 'secret Drykas magic', thinking how that was perceived outside of the Sea of Grass by non-Drykas. "Yes, there is a magic we prefer to keep to ourselves, and you already know the theory of it's use it seems; well one of the things we use it for" he said. "Unfortuantely, I can't teach it to you, even if I wanted to. For, I fear, I do not know it myself" he added. And the fact we generally don't teach non-Drykus the magic behind Webbing and the Web he thought.

Fox Starseer
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

What You Need (Fox)

Postby Tsaba on July 10th, 2013, 5:17 pm

"I have no interest in stealing your cultural secrets," Tsaba said dismissively. That wasn't entirely true; of course she was interested, but it would be a little rude to actually do it. Fox seemed friendly enough, but she noticed that he hadn't given her one bit more information than she'd strictly asked for. She took the hint. "I just wanted to know if it was true. And no, I haven't been brought back to life, as such. I haven't died. I mean, I was killed, but..." it occurred to Tsaba that she wasn't making much sense. She paused a moment to collect her thoughts, then continued. "Nuit don't die and then get dragged out of an afterlife. We merely transfer our soul between vessels that don't have a soul in them. This body died and its previous soul left, but that was before I had anything to do with it. It is necessary to separate the soul from the original body to make a Nuit, but that ceremony isn't actually that bad," she lied.

Of course, eventually, Tsaba was going to have to leave Zeltiva, and at some point she was going to have to travel the Sea of Grass. When that happened, it would be best to know as much about the local culture as possible. With that in mind, she asked, "What's Endrykas like? Is it densely populated?"
Tsaba
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

What You Need (Fox)

Postby Fox Starseer on July 15th, 2013, 4:07 pm

"Haha, it does exist yes" Fox said. He listened to Tsaba's explainations of what a Nuit was exactly. "Ah, I think I understand now, so you're like a ghost, but instead of possessing living bodies, you inhabit dead ones, right?" he asked.

The next question was a bit more interesting, and caused him to contemplate his home for a bit. "Ah, yes, more or less. Well as densely populated as a moving tent city can be, I'd imagine, but we had heaps of people there, at least 7 clans, the families inside those clans could be any size, I don't think there is an exact number, but I'm sure we'd be, maybe, somewhere around or under the population density of Zeltiva, maybe. I mean we also had trade caravans, and depending on the season depends where we stop, and that again changes the size and amount of caravans" he said. He hoped his explanation was good enough. "And it's good, for the most part. I mean you have to pull your weight and help how and where you can, whether it's hunting, or weaving, or falconry, or even training and teaching the children, telling stories, or healing wounds" he added. He looked at the other books on the shelves, then back to Tsaba. "I hope I've explained things well enough, I've never had to answer questions about my home before" he said, smiling softly.

Fox Starseer
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

What You Need (Fox)

Postby Tsaba on July 28th, 2013, 6:26 am

Tsaba smiled and inclined her head. In truth, she was happy that he'd answered her questions at all. "You did. Thank you." Although she wasn't sure he really understood him; life on the Sea of Grass sounded so different to Sahova or even Sunberth. Of course, Sunberth could easily have changed drastically since she'd last been there.

Tsaba cleared her throat; a dry, somewhat rattling sound as unfamiliar breath pressed on worn vocal cords in a way that she hadn't practiced nearly as often as speech. "Do, uh... how do the Drykas feel about outsiders on their land?" she asked trying to sound as casual as possible and quite probably failing.
Tsaba
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

What You Need (Fox)

Postby Fox Starseer on August 10th, 2013, 4:31 am

Outsiders in our lands? Oh she'll be in for a surprise Fox thought. "Well, depends on certain things. Generally, we don't bother them, as, unless they are a threat, they'll most likely become lost without someone to guide them, and will be swallowed by the Sea of Grass. Of course threats are dealt with swiftly by our guards and warriors" he said. "Of course, you'd probably come under the former, since you probably wouldn't be seen as a threat, and if you had someone who knows the Sea of Grass, you'd definitely more then likely survive out there, and maybe even see Endrykas" he added.

He thought for a second on what to add next as he looked through the rest of the books nearby. "What does the ritual to switch bodies look like? How is it performed?" he asked. She'd mentioned it wasn't that bad, so it couldn't look to gruesome, or so he assumed.

Fox Starseer
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

What You Need (Fox)

Postby Tsaba on August 10th, 2013, 4:39 am

"Oh. Um." Apparently she had offended Fox. The young man had answered her questions easily enough, but to ask something like that was a pretty strong hint that she must be getting a little personal. He may as well have leered at her and asked 'hey, what do you look like naked?'

Tsaba straightened up the books on a shelf and tried not to look bothered by the question. Fortunately, her standard Nuit stare and oddly blank face made that very easy. If there was one thing Nuit bodies were great for, it was looking completely unaffected by things. "It's a rather complicated magical ritual. Sort of like Animation, I guess." But he'd made his point; steer clear of the cultural questions. Okay then. "Is there anything else I can help you with today?" she asked, giving him her best 'helpful librarian' look.
Tsaba
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

What You Need (Fox)

Postby Fox Starseer on August 11th, 2013, 7:06 am

Fox had a small inkling that he had said something wrong. But instead of pressing the issue, he just smiled and held his hand out for Tsaba to shake. "No, I think I have everything I need" he said. It was true, he had found out more then he had come to find out, and had taught someone something too, at least in his mind. He learned about Nuits, and Tsaba learned more about his homeland. Now he gathered up the books, and placed them on a nearby table so he could read them. He looked at Tsaba again. "It was nice to meet you, Tsaba the Nuit Librarian" he said, his smile never leaving his face.

Fox Starseer
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

PreviousNext