Closed A meeting of misfits (Malvora)

Malvora and Tsaba meet in the library

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

A meeting of misfits (Malvora)

Postby Tsaba on July 3rd, 2013, 12:35 pm

"Sahova's alright," Tsaba replied as she turned the page. "It's not really safe for puls... for non-Nuit, but it's fine if you're careful. I spent a couple of years there as a normal human without incident. Well, fatal incident." Her quill scratched parchment, taking notes as she spoke. "It's not great for long-ter health though. Good if you want to be a Nuit, here are a lot of Animators there and they're always looking for more research assistants."

"Interested in magic? Just all magic?" Tsaba stopped herself from launching into a 'magic is dangerous' speech -- obviously, Malvora would know what she was dealing with, and it would be an insult to assume otherwise. "I'm not sure how useful Glyphing will be with Auristics, yet. But Glyphing seems to be fascinating in its own right." She left it at that; explaining her theories might be premature, given that she didn't know enough about Glyphing to have any real sense of how reasonable they were yet.

When they reached an example focus rune sketched in the book, Tsaba paused and frowned. She held Dr Marin's rune next to it, comparing them. "Doctor Marin said that different wizards draw runes differently," she said thoughtfully. "There might be a way to... excuse me a moment." List in hand, she went back to the shelf and began searching them anew. Only when she'd collected all the books on Dr Marin's reading list did she return.

"If we can find what all focus runes have in common, we can see what features are and aren't important." She sat the books carefully on the table. "Will you help me find any more focus rune sketches?"
Thanks to Abstract for the lovely boxcode!
Tsaba
Player

Words: 200581
Joined roleplay: May 26th, 2013, 10:57 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Malvora on July 6th, 2013, 1:44 pm

"I've heard the rumors," Malvora replied softly, "Perhaps when I have exhausted all other resources. I fear that I will not have enough time to study the magic I wish and to master it. That is the draw, I suppose, endless time." She paused as she read, dark eyes scanning the paper and absorbing the material on it, occasionally making a note on her paper. She was absorbed in her reading, but still she caught the lightest tinge of concern in Tsaba's voice as she asked about her interest in magic.

"More so Alchemy and Animation," she replied, "perhaps even morphing. Of course, I do not think I will attempt to master so much magic, more just learn about it. Having the knowledge but keeping it locked up until I can handle," she paused thinking for a moment pensively, "the side effects." The insanity associated with magic. How much more insanity her psyche could handle was the question, and she had yet to find a suitable answer. She thought about it for a time before returning to her reading.

"Indeed," Malvora nodded, as Tsaba noted that glyphing seemed interesting, "It could serve to help you focus your magic perhaps?" The magic that Tsaba had, it was one she had less knowledge of, and she so she would not pretend to know what use glyphing would be to it. Of course, her knowledge of magic in general was limited so whether glyphing would help any magic she pursued was a question as well.

"Of course," Malvora said as she selected a book and began to turn pages carefully, scanning each page before she turned to the next.

"Here," she said, laying it out on the table next to teh other book and selecting another, "here's one."

This lovely signature was made by Shausha!
Malvora
Player

Words: 34164
Joined roleplay: June 15th, 2013, 3:26 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet

Postby Tsaba on July 6th, 2013, 4:01 pm

"Thanks," Tsaba said as she pulled another book open. As they searched, she said, "You know, you might get along with a colleague of mine. Castor. He studies magic in a theoretical sense, without practicing any himself. He's also in our Glyphing class, so you should have a chance to meet him." She found another example glyph and placed the open book with the others.

"I know a little Animation myself, you know. Not enough to be all that useful, but the basics. I don't know Alchemy or Morphing, though." Tsaba wasn't sure that she'd even heard of Morphing before. "What does Morphing involve, exactly?" she asked offhand as they searched.

Soon enough, six books lay open in front of them to pages showing example focus glyphs, as well as Dr Marin's example. Some of the example glyphs had strikes through them to prevent them being used and destroyed, but they were still perfectly readable. Tsaba set to the task of copying each down as accurately as possible. She was bound to make mistakes, but then, she'd just have to start again.
Tsaba
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Malvora on July 11th, 2013, 7:17 pm

"I suspect I'll meet him soon enough," Malvora noted as Tsaba brought up another classmate of hers. Castor. She stored the name for future usage. She nodded at Tsaba's mention of knowledge of Animation. That was certainly a distant goal of hers. She began to copy some of the glyphs, noting the differences and commonalities. It seemed that wizards often imbued their glyphing when their own personal preferences. How interesting.

"Morphing is...changing, from what I understand. I'm unclear on most of it. I'm mostly basing that guess off of the name. I've heard it mentioned in a few conversations," her dark skin turned faintly reddish. By 'heard it mentioned in a few conversations' she meant that she had sneaked around eavesdropping whenever she could as a youth trying to gain some knowledge of magic. She had often been uncovered, but in the dark of night very few could see the dark girl.

She continued making marks on her paper, sighing in frustration as she messed up. Her hand was not perfectly steady when she was nervous she would make a mistake and as a result, she often wound up leaving blotches or scribbles where she intended a straight line to go.

This lovely signature was made by Shausha!
Malvora
Player

Words: 34164
Joined roleplay: June 15th, 2013, 3:26 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet

Postby Tsaba on July 14th, 2013, 9:13 am

Tsaba nodded in acknowledgement of Malvora's sparse explanation of morphing. If she wanted to know more about it, she could find information in the library, so she didn't press the issue. Copying the glyphs were taking most of her concentration, anyway; a small pile of mistakes accumulated next to her as she worked, glyphs where she'd messed up badly enough that she didn't think they could be salvaged even as templates. Whether they worked as glyphs wasn't her immediate concern, although anything messed up enough not to work as a glyph probably wouldn't work as a template either anyway. But she could judge that latter by eye and not the former, so that was what she concentrated on.

She aimed to make two acceptable copies of each example glyph before moving on; one for herself, and one for Malvora. She was, however, dimly aware that Malvora would have to leave eventually to eat or sleep, and she didn't know whether they'd complete the task in time. So Tsaba fell silent as she worked, the social duty of maintaining conversation falling to the wayside as she concentrated on directing her quill.
Tsaba
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Eldritch on September 22nd, 2013, 7:47 pm

Tsaba :
Skills
Glyphing +1
Teaching +1
Socialization +2
Observation +1
Copying +1

Lores
-Malvora: Follow Student
-Searching for Commonalities in Focus Glyphs

Malvora :
Your ledger is not up to date. Update it and send me a PM to receive your grade.

Notes :
Nothing to note.

If you have any comments/questions/concerns about your grade please PM me and we will work something out.

Keep on writing!
Eldritch
Do you feel your sanity begin to fray?

Words: 237808
Joined roleplay: July 4th, 2013, 3:05 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook

Previous