Question on Familiary

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Question on Familiary

Postby Yngvie on July 17th, 2010, 4:57 pm

Since my character is already a summoner, could he preform the Familiary ritual of pulling a familiar from the world of Fyrden and signing a blood contract himself? Since the only purpose of the second wizard is to summon the familiar and provide the contract, could my character also write the contract himself?
Yngvie
Chaos's Herald

Words: 9059
Joined roleplay: July 11th, 2010, 6:10 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet

Question on Familiary

Postby John Vicari on July 17th, 2010, 9:45 pm

hmm this is a odd area..On one hand I say yes you should be able to handle it however on another I will say you should have a npc that would know more of it then your person.

You will need a mod for it anyway so I would just get the npc from them to help out. Yet talk with a mod beforehand.
John Vicari
Player

Words: 107575
Joined roleplay: April 20th, 2010, 8:19 pm
Blog: View Blog (10)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Peer Reviewer (1)

Question on Familiary

Postby Panna Cotta on July 18th, 2010, 4:01 pm

Even if you have enough points to be able to competently summon a familiar, you'd need to have a mod supervise your summoning thread, or at least get permission for it. Fyrden's coordinates should be known well by most proficient summoners, but in my opinion (with all the powers of an assistant storyteller vested upon me) you'd either need to a) have a mod to roleplay the familiar you will acquire or b) have a mod roleplay an NPC who will summon your familiar for you.

'Fishing' for familiars in Fyrden would be... random. As a reference, I'd point you to Jaq's thread and Rojeck's thread. You could, of course, discuss with the mod if you want a certain kind of familiar, unless you're up to surprises :P.

Lemme quote the OOC note in the Familiary wiki, precious words of wisdom supplied with underscore:
Characters may not start out knowing Familiary; Familiars must be acquired through roleplay. Players can NPC their Familiar in self moderated threads, but a Storyteller can take over at any time to ensure the Familiar reacts in a fair and realistic way. Some Storytellers will leave a player in control unless they overstep their boundaries, others will NPC the Familiar themselves all the time. Contact your Storyteller to work out a deal that works best for you!

Don't hesitate to contact your local Storyteller for help! :)
Panna Cotta
I'm your Princess P

Words: 320216
Joined roleplay: May 21st, 2010, 2:45 pm
Blog: View Blog (7)
Race: Staff account
Office
Trailblazer (1)

Question on Familiary

Postby Yngvie on July 19th, 2010, 1:50 am

In that case, where can I find a list of storytellers that I might contact?
Yngvie
Chaos's Herald

Words: 9059
Joined roleplay: July 11th, 2010, 6:10 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet

Question on Familiary

Postby John Vicari on July 19th, 2010, 2:01 am

Depends where you are playing the game at. No matter what city or area you are in you can find a list of Mod(s) up top in the city/area forums or by posting in the ooc forums of your area.
John Vicari
Player

Words: 107575
Joined roleplay: April 20th, 2010, 8:19 pm
Blog: View Blog (10)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Peer Reviewer (1)