Flashback The First Hunt

In which a little girl finds her passion

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Encompassing a vast wilderness filled with flora and fauna of immense proportions, the Northern Reaches include all the Talderian Forest north of the Suvan and stretch into the vast permanent tundra and ice fields outside Avanthal.

The First Hunt

Postby Liarra Frostfawn on July 26th, 2013, 12:43 am

15th day of Spring, 505 AV

It was Liarra's tenth birthday, and she was bursting with energy. The little girl with her long black hair out of its normal braid ran, skipped, jumped, and danced all over the common room of her family's arvinta. Childish laughter filled the small, but cozy room as her family watched in adoration.

Liarra twirled in the center of the room, her green eyes glittering like jewels in the warm light of the fire, and her loose hair all but wrapped around her completely. "I'm going hunting!" She yelled at the top of her lungs before bursting into another fit of giggles.

Family tradition was that every healthy child, boy or girl, was to join a hunt with a parent or elder on their tenth birthday. The purpose; to teach the children where their food came from, why they should be thankful and grateful for the food the wild animals provided, and to begin learning the very basics of hunting. Liarra had barely been a season old when her older sister, Tolanna, had gone out on a hunt with Papa. Still, it was one of the earliest stories Liarra remembered hearing her sister tell. Although Tolanna had not grown up to become a hunter, it had been one of her favorite memories with Papa.

Now today was Liarra's turn to go outside of the Hold with Papa. It was the happiest day in the little girl's life.

"Liarra, hold still!" Mama scolded as she attempted to grab a hold of the squirming child. Liarra's response was only more giggles. "If you don't hold still, I won't be able to braid your hair, and then you can't go on the hunt."

"Yes, Mama," and Liarra immediately stopped laughing and began to be on her best behavior as she let her mother comb and braid her hair. Mama's strokes with the comb were always soft and gentle, and the little girl loved having her hair brushed very much. With loving hands her mother separated the hair that went all the way down her daughter's back into three sections. Careful not to make the braid too tight or too loose she wove the sections into a thick long tail that she tied at the end with some strong string.

"Don't go running off just yet," Mama warned. "Your braid needs to be in a bun today so you don't catch it on anything."

Though the little Vantha was doing her best to hold still, her body was getting restless. So instead of bouncing up and down like she so desperately needed to do, Liarra twirled her thumbs and had sword fights with her pinkie fingers. Meanwhile, Mama gently wound the braid into a bun on the back of the girl's head that she tucked into place carefully with hair pins.

"There you are. All done." Mama placed a kiss on top of Liarra's head and patted the braided bun.

"Thank you Mama!" she squealed with delight as she turned around and gave her mother a big hug. "I love you so much!" Liarra looked up at Mama with a big smile showing off her white teeth, and eyes that had turned a sparking blue with excitement.

"Well now," Papa's deep gentle voice boomed across the common room as he stepped in from outside. "Is there a little Vantha girl here ready to go on a hunt?" he teased.

"Papa!" Now able to release her energy, Liarra ran straight for her father and into his arms.

He laughed, heart full of joy at his youngest's enthusiasm. Papa set aside a small spear he had brought in with him so that he could lift his glowing daughter high up in his arms. She giggled, and it mixed with Papa's laughter into a beautiful familial harmony. Before setting Liarra back down, he kissed her forehead, and then he became serious.

"Liarra, today is very important. Not only is it your first hunt, but it is your first journey outside the safety of the hold. Do you remember what we talked about yesterday?"

"Yes, Papa." Liarra nodded politely, mirroring her Papa's seriousness. "I'm to stay with you at all times, not to wander off by myself. I'm to keep quiet, and if I have something to say, to say it in hushed tones. No running around, no playing with the hunting dogs, and I am to stay out of the way of the hunters."

"Good girl," he smiled the same toothy grin. Like father, like daughter. Papa reached for the small spear he had set aside moments earlier and held it in from of Liarra. "Now then Liarra, this will be your spear for today. I'm afraid it's not a gift, instead it is being loaned to you so treat it as if it were indeed your own. While we're out today I'll be showing you some basic moves with it, but you are not to throw it at anyone, even animals or into the open. Understand?"

"I understand. I promise I'll be on my best behavior, Papa."

"That's my girl. Give your mother and Grandmere a kiss, it's time we're on our way."

In a flash Liarra had darted over to the rest of the family, kissed them both and ran to get her cloak. Like many Vantha, including her parents, Liarra had been born with the mark of their goddess Morwen which helped against the cold but even still it was necessary at times to bundle up. All set and ready to go, the little girl rushed back to her father with flushed cheeks from expelling the last of her pent up energy.

Papa opened the door to let his daughter outside. He blew a kiss to his wife before stepping out and closed the door behind him. Taking his daughter's hand in his, he led them to the gathering spot for the day's hunt.

Courtesy of Thayer
Last edited by Liarra Frostfawn on August 7th, 2013, 1:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sig and avatar courtesy of Thayer
Liarra Frostfawn
Player

Words: 39832
Joined roleplay: July 17th, 2013, 6:25 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

The First Hunt

Postby Liarra Frostfawn on July 27th, 2013, 4:16 am

It wasn't a long walk to join up with the hunters, but Liarra was still so excited that even the shortest of strolls would have felt bells long. True to her word, however, she let the energy rattle around inside her and maintained a calm visage. Disappointing Papa on her birthday was the last thing the little girl wanted.

The hunting party was made up of ten strong men, and included some of the Hold's more skilled hunters. Liarra and her father made twelve, but she knew that she was no true member of the party. Papa though was a competent hunter. His true passion lay in training and caring for animals, but he enjoyed being on a hunt.

An older man, the leader of the day's hunt in fact, came forward to great Liarra.

"Hello Liarra," he had knelt down to be at her eye level. "Welcome to your first hunt. You're a very lucky little girl. We're hunting wolves today, and while they're very dangerous so long as you obey my commands and stay with your father everything will be all right. Are you scared?"

His question confused the little girl. She was certainly excited, but scared? Liarra thought hard and searched inside herself for the truth. Hunting wolves sounded scary to be sure; after all there were many tales frequently told of wolves ripping men to shreds. But weren't the hunters fearless? Unsure of the right answer, Liarra opted for the truth.

"Yes, sir. A little," her voice shook, for right now she was more afraid of giving the wrong answer than the wolves.
Courtesy of Thayer
Last edited by Liarra Frostfawn on August 7th, 2013, 1:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Liarra Frostfawn
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

The First Hunt

Postby Liarra Frostfawn on July 29th, 2013, 8:59 pm

"Good!" He declared with a laugh that startled the little girl. "You should be scared. Being scared keeps you on your toes, aware of what's happening around you. It's necessary for survival. Never let anyone fool you by saying they have no fear."

Liarra nodded, and she could feel herself trembling in her boots. Yet she was not about to turn back. Her family for generations had gone through this rite of passage, and Liarra would not break that tradition. The small Vantha stood straight and tall.

"When do we leave?"

Laughter filled the air high above her head, and she felt her father's hand clap her on the back.

"You've got a good girl there, Torrok. She'll no doubt make you proud." The lead hunter turned his attention back to Liarra. "We leave soon. First, your father needs to see to the dogs, and I can show you some moves with that spear you've got there."

Liarra looked up at her father for his response, and he smiled. "It won't take long, and you couldn't be in better hands." He kissed the top of her head and walked off to the hunting and sled dogs.

The lesson with the spear began instantly, with her being shown how to properly grip the weapon. He raised her arm up, bending at the elbow, before gently bending her wrist backwards.

"When you are wanting to throw this weapon, you want to hold it like you might how a piece of charcoal when you write or draw." He tenderly manipulated Liarra's small fingers into place.

"Now, take your arm back, like this," He pulled her arm back, out to the side. "And then you bring it back forward, like so, in a throwing motion."

For the rest of the time waiting for her father Liarra practiced that single motion over and over with an empty hand. In time, her father returned and the lead hunter left to speak with his men.

Courtesy of Thayer

Liarra Frostfawn
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

The First Hunt

Postby Liarra Frostfawn on July 30th, 2013, 3:51 am

"Papa! Let me show you what I've learned!"

"All right, but be quick." Laughter and pride was in his voice and eyes as he watched his daughter show off her new skill set.

Only a few chimes later Papa had settled Liarra onto the sled he would be driving for the day. It was a newly formed team of dogs, and he had been training them. The group of twelve headed out into the wild of the Northern Reaches.

Liarra watched, amazed, as the snowy landscape passed her by. She caught glimpses of rabbits and deer. Every so often the party would stop, inspect tracks and fresh animal corpses. Papa allowed Liarra to get a close look at one of the eaten deer they had come across. He explained to her that after the wolves had their fill and left, other meat eating animals would come by and scavenge what was left. That was why, even though the bones and some remaining organs were valuable, the party would leave it where it was.

"We need to protect the ecosystem just as much as we need to feed ourselves." He said to hid wide eyed daughter. Papa had to practically drag her back to the sled because she desperately wanted to see the scavenger animals.

Soon the hunting party came across a clean fresh pair of wolf tracks. After the hunters had determined everything they needed to know from the tracks, Liarra got her turn to look and learn.

"They look so much like our dogs tracks! How do you tell them apart?" The men around her laughed, not at her, but because they found her drive to learn and energy infectious.

"Torrok, you must bring your daughter on hunts more often! She's such a breath of fresh of air." One man said, but Liarra was oblivious to him. She was far too busy bringing one of the dogs over to compare footprints with.

An answer was quick to come to her, which the hunters later reaffirmed. While the dog had large paws, the wolf paws that had left prints in the snow were much larger. The pads of the wolfs were also more widely spread.

Once back on the sled, now in pursuit of the pack of wolves, Liarra was silent in deep thought. I can't believe everything I've seen! And we haven't even see the wolves yet! The little wasn't much of a storyteller, but she was looking forward to telling the events of the day to all her little friends. I'd even tell Nikomas if I see him! The little boy wasn't exactly a friend, but she didn't hate him. Her eyes twinkled an energetic blue as she wondered how jealous he and the others might be.

Eventually the party stopped again. According to the leader they were close to the wolves and would now travel on foot. The hunters all had their spears in hand, and little Liarra held onto hers tightly. Like she had been told, she stuck close to her father and stayed quiet as they hunted the wolves. She looked all around her and watched in awe as the hunters communicated with one another silently.

It wasn't long before they came upon the pack. They were downwind from the large creatures, and the wolves had not yet noticed their presence. With silent hand gestures and head bobs the hunters chose which wolves they would attempt to kill. From the very back, huddled against her father Liarra could just barely see the wolves but she was in awe over what she saw. They were larger than any dog she had seen in the Hold, and their coats were a beautiful mix subtle color. Black, grey and brown in various patterns spilled over the withers, down the back and burst into the tail. In her imagination Liarra could see the beautiful clothes the pelts would make for her people.

Now she understood everything her father had told her about respecting the animals that provided their food and clothing. The wolves were majestic creatures, worthy of the Vantha peoples respect.

A sudden whistle and hum that broke out made Liarra pay attention to the hunters. They had let their spears fly through the cold air and nearly all made their mark. She heard the wolves cry and howl as they died and the survivors ran off in the opposite direction of the flying spears. Silently, Liarra prayed to Morwen in thanks for the lives of the wolves. As much as their deaths pulled at her heartstrings and made her eyes a dull grey in sorrow, the little girl knew it was necessary.

Once the rest of the pack had fled, the party went out to collect the kills. Liarra followed her father diligently. As the hunters pulled their spears from the carcasses and whispered their own prayers to Morwen, Papa spoke with Liarra.

"Do you understand why we must respect the animals of the wild and use all they have to offer us?"

"Yes, Papa. They were all so beautiful and majestic." Papa leaned down and kissed the top of his daughter's head, for he could hear the sorrow in voice.

"Don't worry, my little one. The pack will still thrive. Out of nearly fifteen the hunters only took five. The alpha male and female still live, and more pups will be born in time." He went on further to explain the hand signals the hunters had used, and how they had determined which wolves to target.

After listening intently to her Papa's explanations Liarra felt better. Her excitement over the day came rushing back. With keen interest she watched the hunters and her father clean the spears and carry the wolves back to the sleds. With the fresh kills piled on and secured, the party turned their sleds back in the direction of the Hold and began the journey home.

Halfway there they stopped for a light meal. The hunters were famished and chewed away on packed jerky and sipped warm drinks they had brought for the journey. When Liarra had finished her snack, Papa led her a short distance from the sleds so she could practice searching for tracks.

"Papa! Come look what I found." Her voice was soft to avoid startling any animal that might have been lurking nearby, bur her excitement was clear. She had found a set of very small canine prints. "Could it be wolf pups?"

Her father leaned down and inspected the prints. "I'm afraid not, sweetheart." He held back a soft laugh as Liarra's face fell in momentary disappointment. "It's actually the prints of a snow fox. A rare find. See how the pads are smaller and thinner? Also take note of how the first and last digit are further below the middle two than a dogs or wolfs."

Liarra's eyes were wide. "A snow fox?" She knew of the animal; their pelts were highly prized throughout Avanthal and beyond for their pure white fur. However, she had never seen one.

"If we're quiet, and quick, it might still be around. Stay behind me." Papa turned around and signaled to the hunters. Apparently they gave Papa the go ahead as he began to follow the trail.

It wasn't long at all until Papa stopped and quietly ushered Liarra. There before them, perhaps some twenty feet away was a single snow fox. It stood incredibly still. Trying its best to blend in with the snow, not that the creature had to try hard. Pure white fur covered the fox from muzzle to tail. Only its small little nose and eyes were black. Liarra was speechless. The small animal was perfect in her eyes. Even the beauty of the wolves couldn't compare to the simple grace that this fox commanded. With a twitch of its bushy white tail, the fox ran away, deeper into the snowy wasteland.

Papa led them back to the party, and Liarra remained silent, still in awe. Back in the sled on their way home, it was at least half a bell before she spoke.

"Can we bring a snow fox home someday, Papa?" Her little voice was filled with wonder and longing.

"I'm afraid not, Liarra. The snow fox is a very rare beast, and requires our protection. Only a few are allowed to be hunter for all four seasons." It pained him to dash his little girl's hopes, but she needed to know the truth.

"Why are they so rare, Papa?"

"I don't know. I don't know if anyone does. They just are, and if we aren't careful we could hunt them until they're all gone."

The rest of the journey home Liarra kept quiet. It wasn't fair to her mind that there were so few of the majestic animal. If the wolves could thrive, why couldn't the foxes. She stewed over the situation and questions. Liarra was so deep in thought that she didn't even notice when they arrived back at the Hold.

Mama and Grandmere were waiting outside for the party when the sleds pulled in. Liarra was swept up into her mother's arms, so happy to see her baby safe and sound. Grandmere merely looked on in stern approval.

As the family headed back to the arvinta to hear the tale of Liarra's first hunt, her thoughts were solely focused on the last event of the day. It was the duty and responsibility of her people to take care of all animals; domestic and wild alike. There was no denying Frostfawn Hold's love for all animals big and small.

Liarra was Frostfawn. A self sure voice in her mind told her it was her duty to help animals. It was the moment Liarra crossed the threshold into the common room of the arvinta that she knew what she would want out of her life.

Liarra was going to find a way to help the snow fox, to protect them, and maybe even one day thrive. Perhaps she could even eventually extend that to the other wild animals as well. She had to. She just had to.

Nikomas mentioned with player permission. Thank you!

Courtesy of Thayer

Liarra Frostfawn
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

The First Hunt

Postby Lullaby on August 15th, 2013, 12:52 pm

Liarra Frostfawn

Experience
    ♪ Acting: +1
    ♪ Weapon: Spear: +1
    ♪ Tracking: +2
    ♪ Observation: +2

Lore
    ♫ Tenth Birthday Tradition: Going On a Hunt
    ♫ The Rules of the First Hunt
    ♫ Being Scared Is Necessary to Survival
    ♫ The Necessity of Protecting the Ecosystem
    ♫ The Print of a Wolf, Compared to Common Sledding Dog
    ♫ Wolves Worthy of Vantha Respect
    ♫ Ensuring the Wolf Pack Continues to Thrive
    ♫ Basic Hunter Hand Signals
    ♫ The Prints of a Snow Fox
    ♫ The Beauty of the Rare Snow Fox
    ♫ Finding One's Purpose: Protecting the Snow Fox

Notes

This was adorable! I loved reading Liarra's young perspective, and her compassion absolutely shined in this thread. Just remember Vantha are not born with the mark, the parents must request the queen to grant it to their child, which normally is either granted soon after birth, or at a coming-of-age ceremony. Also, in your possessions you have very simple protective clothing, which would not suffice in the wilderness if you don't want to catch a severe cold. I would recommend looking into purchasing heavier clothing, and things like mittens, hats, scarves as well, in the future. Other than that, awesome job!

A quiet song to soothe the heart

Great thread! If you have any questions or concerns about your grade, PM me and we'll figure it out! :)

Lullaby
Sweet song, sweet dreams

Words: 104298
Joined roleplay: July 5th, 2013, 4:01 pm
Race: Staff account
Office