Solo Dressed To The Nines

In Which Kit Gets Snazzy New Leathers

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Dressed To The Nines

Postby Kit Rowan on August 28th, 2013, 12:52 am

Day 18, Season of Summer, 513 AV

The evening sun was dipping close to the horizon's edge, tainting the color of the sky with evening's light as Kit found her way, safe as could be expected, down to the Nitrozian plaza. Most of the time she found her needs satisfied by the Merchant's Ring and took every excuse to be as far from the Plaza of Dark Delights and memories of the slave market that still made her back itch. But as of late, with the new demands her job at the Nitrozian Estate, she found herself in need of something she couldn't swipe off the fruit stands with a murmured and a few tossed coins.

Odds and Ends was just where Kit remembered it. Her stomach tied itself into a little knot; the last time she'd come here, she'd been wearing an entirely different face. Kit glanced over her shoulder at the crowds behind her, shifted nervously where she stood. The question remained . . . would she remember the other girl who came into her shop, with the same proportions? Would she think to tell someone who might tell someone who could connect the dots with the little redheaded slave who'd vanished, poof, off the streets like a phantom? Most of her clothes, Kit had purchased here. What little she had managed to steal back from her 'master' left few alternatives for her wardrobes.

She wore one of them now. A little white chemise that fell to her knees, washed in the canal-waters and made black and opaque by illusion, clung to Kit's shoulders by feeble little straps, with a pair of close-fitting trousers beneath. She'd allowed her hair to tumble free. This, Kit hoped, would be enough to differentiate Kit from the ragged little tomboy of similar build that had wandered into Gloria's shop days past.

"You're being stupid," Kit said, brushing off her trousers. Swallowed hard. "You're being stupid." She breathed in deep, plucked her bird's tongue from a pouch and tossed it into her open mouth. "Ahhh . . ." Kit said, pushing the little device into its proper place, as her voice got higher and higher. "Aaah, aaaaaaah!" There. That was the spot. Kit shrugged her shoulders, brushed back her hair and marched into the store.

The door opened with a soft creaaaak and then Kit was through, walking on cautious feet into the store. Again she was surrounded by a puzzling array of unrelated knick-nacks and little trinkets scattered about. "Oh!" She heard Gloria call from the back of the store, like an owl. "Hello there dearie. I do not know your face! Come, let me take a look at you."

In spite of herself, Kit's eyes darted sideways, saw the great big man holding a plank of wood. Of wood! With rusty nails coming out the other end! It might not be the most effective weapon, but it was intimidating as all hell. "Oh don't worry about him!" Gloria insisted. "He is harmless. Come!"

Kit came, meandering forward into the store until she was plain in Gloria's view. On impulse, she grabbed the edges of her chemise and spread them in a little curtsy. "Oh!" Gloria clapped her hands together. "What manners you have! What is your name, child?"

"Shy," Kit said, and as soon as she did wondered if she should have come wearing another false persona instead. Would this Shy clash too much with the Shy that Kit had shown Valerius, if conflicting stories began to butt heads? Well, it was too late to worry about that. "S-shy Carsma."

"A curious name to give a child," Gloria said, steepling her fingers and frowning deeply before it broke open into another grandmotherly smile. "Whatever might old Gloria do for you, little Shy?"

Okay, okay, okay . . . Go! "Iveanewjobcouryinglettersandneedclothesplease."
Wait, what? That was terrible!

Gloria smiled softly. "Speak more slowly, darling." She said, stretching the words apart deliberately, as though she were talking to someone simple.

Kit breathed again. She doesn't recognize me. She doesn't know me. I'm fine. "Ineedsome . . . I need some new clothes," she said, giving her words the space they needed. "I've a new job delivering letters, and I keep ripping my clothes faster than I can mend them. I need something strong. That won't break."

"Ah!" Gloria said, turning away from the counter. "I have exactly what you need. I'll be but a moment; stay where you are!"

Kit and nailboard were alone together in the front of the shop. Kit hugged herself, rocked back and forth on her heels. "So," she said, offering the man a smile. "Nice weather we're having, huh?"

Silence.

". . . Be that way." Kit turned away. Scowled. "Asshole."
Last edited by Kit Rowan on September 23rd, 2013, 12:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Unless Otherwise Stated, Expect Kit To Have Already Disguised Herself With Illusionism As 'Shy' In Every Ravok Thread.
Kit Rowan
Acrobat, Sorceress, Rogue

Words: 433379
Joined roleplay: April 29th, 2011, 11:37 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (2)

Dressed To The Nines

Postby Kit Rowan on August 28th, 2013, 1:48 am

Gloria emerged from the bowels of the store with a bundle of brown in her hands. She stepped from behind the counter in the store and marched up to Kit. "Try this on," she said, pushing the bundle in Kit's direction and nodding encouragingly. Kit grabbed it, let it unfurl open in front of her.

It was a jacket. Not just any jacket, though; this one was made out of leather, unless Kit missed her guess. Real no-olds-barred leather. Kit breathed in through her teeth and began to slip the jacket on. It was a little big, perhaps, but it fit well enough. "Leather will last longer than cotton against wear and tear," Gloria said. "Though you may want to resist wearing it too often unless the day is cool. Sometimes leather can hold heat. We have some pants as well, though nothing feminine, I am sad to say."

"Well," Kit said, adjusting the jacket and feeling more comfortable already. "When they start making leather dresses, let me know."

"Now, the trousers were meant for a boy, but if you allow me to take some measurements, I can make some adjustments to the trousers to fit you a little better. Would you like that?"

"Yeah," Kit murmured. "I think I would. How much?"

She named the price. Kit's face blanched. "I can go no lower, dearie. Remember how long these will last. It will be a good purchase."

Kit bit on her lower lip, hard. "Yeah." She nodded. "Yeah, I guess it would be."

Unless Otherwise Stated, Expect Kit To Have Already Disguised Herself With Illusionism As 'Shy' In Every Ravok Thread.
Kit Rowan
Acrobat, Sorceress, Rogue

Words: 433379
Joined roleplay: April 29th, 2011, 11:37 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (2)

Dressed To The Nines