[Registrar's Office] Looking for Alumni (Mod)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

[Registrar's Office] Looking for Alumni (Mod)

Postby Voco on September 12th, 2009, 10:06 am

Timestamp: 1st Day of Fall, 509 AV

The interior of the building was lit by circular lamps attached to the walls. They shone with a cold, blue light, and it was obvious that they were the work of some particularly gifted wizard. After one entered the building, a corridor ran straight forward until it reached a room dominated by a large, wooden desk. Its owner was a human man with a thick head of hair gone completely white with age. His brown eyes brooked no nonsense, and one could tell immediately upon seeing him that patience was probably not one of his strong points. The sign on his desk proclaimed him to be H. G. Sanderson, Registrar.

---
Voco waited in line, patiently. Or at least he waited patiently once he had established to both the person behind and in front of him in line that he existed, and would be rather pleased if he was not accidentally stepped upon. And so, he waited for what seemed like a very long time, until he was the next person.

When the Registrar spoke, he obviously spoke to the young man that was behind Voco in the line. It was that point that the Pycon cleared his throat, and then glanced over his shoulder. "Sir, would you mind carefully picking me up and placing me on the desk?" The 20-something human behind him gingerly picked him up and then placed him before H. G. Sanderson.

"Greetings, Registrar. I come inquiring information, pertaining to a possible student your University may have schooled sometime in the last year or three. By the name of Voco." The Pycon looked the old human straight in the eyes as he spoke, his tone monotonous, lacking the normal Pycon twinge of excitement that was so common to his race.
Voco
Form Finder

Words: 6512
Joined roleplay: August 28th, 2009, 8:50 am
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Re: [Registrar's Office] Looking for Alumni (Mod)

Postby Liminal on September 15th, 2009, 10:23 pm

Sanderson was mildly startled by the pycon's sudden appearance, but only slightly. This wasn't the first time in his long career that a member of a smaller race had surprised him in this fashion.

"Voco, eh?" Sanderson wrote the name down, his penmanship as exact as if it had come from the finger of a god. "We've had lots of students here in the last year or three. Could you tell me anything else about ...him? her? Field of study? Classes taken? Or, if not that, simply race and gender would help me immensely."

He gestured at the wall behind him, which was stuffed full of files. They were well-organized and clean...but the man wasn't kidding when he said he had a lot of paperwork lying around.

There was a puzzled look on Sanderson's face, however. This pycon reminded him of someone, and he had a nagging feeling that he ought to recognize him. This happened with some frequency, given that Sanderson had seen almost everyone in Zeltiva at one point or another, but this particular instance was bothering him.
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris

Words: 256313
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2009, 7:09 am
Blog: View Blog (3)
Race: Staff account
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Voco on September 16th, 2009, 12:55 am

The Pycon nodded his head as the Registrar gestured at the wall of files. Voco had noticed them while waiting in line, but he hoped that it would not prove too much of an obstacle in his search. "Yes, more information. Male, Pycon, I believe he may have come through for intermediate Glyphing, or perhaps to take a Beginner certification."

Voco noticed the puzzled look upon Sanderson, but hoped it wouldnt cause him any trouble. So far in his search though, trouble had been finding him. The clay-man decided to take a chance, and ventured forth another tid-bit of information. "He may have been interested in Summoning as well. If possibile, I'd be very interested in meeting any of the faculty that may have taught him. To see if they know of his whereabouts." He then paid close attention to the Sanderson's face, trying to catch a glimpse of whatever might cross the man's mind at the mention of Summoning.

He'd quickly learned that Summoning could be a touchy topic. Perhaps the most dangerous, misused and misunderstood of all the world-magics. But, nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Voco
Form Finder

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Liminal on September 20th, 2009, 10:56 pm

Sanderson looked curiously at Voco, then nodded and returned to his files. He had his back to the Pycon when Summoning was mentioned, but still, he seemed to freeze for a moment before going back to his search.

"Here we are." He held up a sheaf of papers. "Voco. Beginner glyphing, passed with a certification. Classes in summoning as well." He said the word with a bit of distaste. "This lists Professor Marie Mainsbury as his instructor. If anyone in the University is familiar with him, I'd recommend her. She's in the Arcane Arts building, office number twenty-seven."
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris

Postby Voco on September 22nd, 2009, 7:19 am

"Professor Marie Mainsbury. Yes, thank you Registrar." The Pycon tilted his head to Sanderson, and then turned around and walked towards the edge of the desk. He peered down at the ground for a brief moment, judging the distance, and then jumped. He landed with a noticeable thump, but his legs only mildly deformed. It took him but a moment to stand up straight once more, making sure that no clay residue was left behind. He then proceeded to leave the Office, on his way to the Arcane Arts building.

----

Location: University of Zeltiva, Arcane Arts building - Office #27

It had taken him a decent amount of time to find the location of the building, and then transverse the University campus. By the time Voco came to Office #27, it was well after mid-day, but not yet evening. The clay-man simply hoped that Professor Mainsbury was still present. The Pycon had briefly considered changing his form before contacting someone that had met him prior to his memory loss, but decided against it. If Marie Mainsbury taught him both his skill in Glyphing, and Summoning, she would be his best chance at finding new information on... everything.

Voco stopped outside the door, which wasnt open nor fully closed, and then knocked as loudly as he could against the door-frame before entering. "Professor Marie Mainsbury?"
Voco
Form Finder

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Liminal on September 28th, 2009, 12:46 am

There was a noise inside of shuffling papers. "Come in," a woman's voice said.

The person to whom the voice belonged was a woman of perhaps forty years, her hair just beginning to go gray. She looked at the place where a normal person's head would be as the door moved, but she did not need to be prompted to look down and find the Pycon.

"Voco?" She sounded surprised. "I thought you had left for good! How have you been? Do, come, sit down." She patted the edge of her desk, which was bare, and looked at Voco with great interest.
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris

Postby Voco on September 28th, 2009, 2:02 am

The woman recognized him, and Voco honestly wasnt sure if that was a good or bad thing. He had partially been hoping to find out information about himself without the Professor knowing it was him. But she did, and so Voco stepped into the room. He then walked over to the desk, and with a little trial and error, managed to climb up it and onto the spot where she had indicated. "Yes. In the area. Drop in, say hello."

The Pycon looked at the aging woman, and wondered how much it was that she knew about him. And more importantly, how much he could trust her. "I have been... distressed, recently. Confused. How long was I your student?" Voco decided the best course of action for now would be to ask questions, but not outright tell the woman of what had happened to him.
Voco
Form Finder

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Liminal on September 30th, 2009, 5:19 pm

There was a blank look on Marie's face that lasted for perhaps two seconds. Then, she asked, "Confused? Has something happened to you, Voco?" The corners of her mouth turned downward with concern.

"You studied with me for two years." She was hesitant, but seemed to have decided that answering the question was the best thing to do. Glyphing and, later, summoning, after you found that no one else here would teach you. But you left over a year ago, after you'd found that document and insisted on going off to chase after it. I was under the impression that you were not returning to your studies."[/b]

She didn't say anything else, but she tilted her head sideways, an expression of curiosity. Something wasn't right here, not at all, but she didn't know quite what it was. Not yet anyway.
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris

Postby Voco on October 1st, 2009, 1:22 pm

The Pycon stood still, gazing up at the Professor. "Two years, a year ago? I am atleast three years old, hmm." His voice was monotone, lacking any inflection. Similar to his current form, everything about him said... bland. Formless. While his body and face had fine detail, the details were not unusual. "I must admit to you Professor Marie Mainsbury, that I do not remember any of that time. I do not remember anything up until early spring of this year. I know nothing of your tutelage to me, of the list you mentioned that caused me to leave your classroom."

Voco continued to stare up at the woman, but he currently didnt seem to be looking at her. Instead, he was attempting to control the fog that existed in his mind, that he knew was clouding his past. But the new information was still not capable of causing some of that fog to burn away. "I beleive I nearly died, so far as a Pycon can be greviously wounded that is. But I am not sure if the fog in my mind is due to that event, or what lead up to it."

Voco started to walk around the desk, careful to not disturb anything in his path. "I learned of you only just recently, by discussing my student record with the Registrar. It was my hope that a teacher might have known of the events that caused my mind to be lost, as it is." The Pycon's pacing was the only outward sign of his internal agitation and frustration. Then again, the Pycon may have been prone to pacing when Marie knew him, and it wouldnt seem unusual at all.
Voco
Form Finder

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Liminal on October 10th, 2009, 3:14 am

Marie frowned. When she spoke again, her voice was much quieter.

"In the archives at the library, there was a document about summoning. A pre-Valterrian piece, only a couple pages long, but it spoke of a master summoner, Illian Rasnil, who claimed to have discovered, through summoning, a secret to immortality. You were fascinated by the concept, and insisted on leaving to see if this Rasnil was still alive. The document mentioned Lisnar, and that's where you were going."

She drummed her fingers on the desk, seemingly unconcerned by Voco's perambulation, her attentions occupied by other thoughts. "I don't know what happened to you there, or what you found, but it may have been the traumatic event you mentioned."
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris