Closed Horizons in Autumns Light

Niall searches the market for clothes to replace his rags, and contemplates a promise to deliver a letter from a mother to a daughter long lost.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Hoizons in Autumns Light

Postby Vernadel on October 1st, 2013, 11:06 am

Vernadel

Almost childlike was the muscular Isur as she showed him her pearls, his face dappled with wonder. When he protested taking the black stone, Vern smiled at his chivalry, but prepared herself to refuse to take it back.

"Please accept it as it is yours," Vernadel told him, feeling rather shy all of a sudden. Maybe it was not right to bestow a gift, no matter how small, on someone she had just met. Did Niall think her too forward? Was it inappropriate? When she looked at his face and noticed the delight there, all of her inhibitions escaped her thoughts. Niall took the pearl and tied it on his upper arm around his defined bicep and Vern pressed her hands together under the table in pleasure. It was rewarding to think that something she had touched and treasured would be nestled against the Isur's arm. Offering her a chance to have her kindness reciprocated, Niall had no idea what he'd already given her this early fall morning. Benevolence, tolerance, companionship, and something so valuable that Vern had not been realizing she lacked it.

Vernadel was not used to making grown men blush. Few male Akvatari had ever even given her a second glance. She was not voluptuous and sultry like her mother or even some of her older friends back in Abura. Still, the attention was not unwanted and her heart warmed even more to the Isur sitting before her. Niall had struck a match of confidence in her, and a certain small sense of pride in her appearance, which she usually gave little thought. She had never smiled so much in one morning, but she continually found the corners of her mouth tugging upward today.

"I can show you sometime, if you like," she said to him, in an attempt to focus back on the conversation. "How to get pearls from the oysters, I mean. Do you like to swim in the ocean?" Niall was demonstrating how to eat the fish with his fork, so Vernadel picked her own utensil up and tried to emulate his actions. She managed to separate a small chunk of the fish and stab it and when she set it on her tongue and chewed it thoughtfully, she decided that raw fish was much tastier. The cooked meat was rather tasteless really, but she ate a few more bites, just to be polite. When only half of her meal was left, she put her fork down and finished her glass of water.

"Yes," she agreed with Niall about leaving the eatery soon as she remembered the chaos of the morning. Not wanting to part with him and run the risk of never seeing him again, she perked up when he mentioned looking for new clothes. "I could help you shop, if you want my company still," she remarked. "Akvatari are not really renowned for their fashion sense, but if I know anything, I do know color." In her mind, she was already draping Niall with light green and tan dyed fabric, picturing how the colors would work against his skin tone, his dark arm, and his multi hued eyes.

Vernadel pushed her plate with the remaining food away from her a little and reached up into her hair once more. As her fingers sought some of the few coins tucked into the ties, she watched Niall finish his own meal.

"You can have the rest of mine, too, if you want," she offered and pulled a couple of copper and silver mizas from her dark locks. There was a gold one too somewhere, if she could only find it.

Vernadel
Fluttering, Floating, Fashioning

Words: 39940
Joined roleplay: August 31st, 2013, 3:33 pm
Race: Akvatari
Character sheet
Journal

Hoizons in Autumns Light

Postby Niall Hammerfist on October 2nd, 2013, 12:59 am

"Please accept it as it is yours," She had said, and Niall felt the place above the elbow of his right arm where the black pearl tightly hung. Niall pondered the meaning of it all, though he felt assured he had bumbled upon a fast friend this morning. Of course there were things he wasn’t ready to share with Vernadel just yet, but he knew that one day he would need someone to tell, other than the Jamoura in the spires. He sighed deeply remembering the news he had heard about The Spires after the Djed storm had unleashed its terrible fury on the region. It had already been a year but it was still fresh in his mind. It was only a fleeting thought but, enough to make his smile drop a little.

Niall was about to put a large mouthful of fish into his gaping maw, when Vernadel offered to show him how to find and take oysters. The fish was less than a second from his mouth when she asked him if he liked to swim. He stopped mid bite, his mouth wide open as the concept dawned on him.

“You mean swim, in the ocean?” His stupid repetition of her words betrayed his obvious fear of drowning, which had nearly happened to him on more than one occasion simply trying to cross rivers in Kalea. He realized he was hesitateing with his answer and betraying the eagerness written all over his companions face. “I’m” He stumbled over the words embarrassed that he was not a very good swimmer. Though with a body density similar to a rock, what would one think to happen, but almost immediate sinking? He sighed heavily and stuffed the fish in his mouth chewing hard trying to find the courage to talk about his weakness.

Niall thought about what he knew of his companion and came to the conclusion that at worst she would think it absurd that he didn’t know how to swim, it obviously coming naturally to her. He swallowed the fish in his mouth hard his throat feeling tighter than it had before she had asked the question. He shut his eyes and tried to calm himself before speaking.

“I can’t swim very well. I’ve nearly drowned simply trying to cross rivers in Kalea.” He played awkwardly with the leftovers on his plate. “I mean it’s not like they were an ocean, but the currents are so fast there. One wrong step and if you aren’t tied into a line your likely to drown, even if you are tied to a line!” Niall was breathing heavily, his agitation brought on by the memory of tumbling end over end under water in the crushing swirling black water, large rocks the only cushion to his uncontrolled rolling.

He realized how weak he must have sounded and he crossed his arms and closed his eyes contemplating it. After a quiet moment he exhaled softly. Taking another calming breath he spoke carefully. “We should try it.” He sounded unsure. “Forgive my agitation, over such a silly thing as water.” He looked toward the market embarrassed at his own weakness. Though somewhere in his mind the brave Isur his father had been told him to face his fear and conquer it.

When Vernadel changed the subject to his potentially new wardrobe he perked up, grateful that someone here at the table had some sort of fashion sense. Niall had plenty of utility sense, but fashion was a stranger to him. Give him simple brown boiled leather that would last forever. “I would appreciate the help Vernadel.” He said a softened smile forming again on his previously agitated face. He looked her over again and cocked his head to the side considering her self-commentary.

“I wouldn’t say that Akvatari have no fashion sense. You seem to be marvelous at accessorizing.” His smile grew reinforcing the nature of his perspective compliment.

His appetite slowly coming back to him as he began to wipe up the remaining juices and sauce on his plate with the remainder of his bread. He had just stuffed the remnants of his meal into his mouth as he noticed Vernadel searching her uneven locks of hair for Mizas and was horrified that she might pay for them both. He chewed and swallowed his bread too quickly in the hopes of preventing Vernadel from paying for their meal. When she offered him what remained on his plate he eyed it hungrily, nodded in thanks before drawing it toward himself with a slightly sticky pair of fingers. He let his fork rest in Vernadels plate and licked the stickiness from his fingers before he reached for the pouch at his hip. He dug around the random junk therein in the hopes of finding his pouch of Mizas.

He produced two gold Mizas, and three silver pieces, laying them near his tea cup. “Let me help with that.” Niall said simply before he retrieved his fork and began polishing off Vernadels meal. Realizing she had not touched her bread, he placed the golden brown beauty into his hip pouch with the intention of munching on it while they wandered through the market.

Niall was monstrously big for an Isur, though only average for a human. He made short work of the remaining fish on her plate downing it like it was his last meal. Still chewing on fish he covered his mouth in time to stifle a belch. “Sorry, food like this is a luxury and I wish I could savor it a bit more, but the market awaits.” He swallowed happily and licked the remaining sauce from the corners of his mouth before wiping what was left away with his sleeve.

“So?” He said before he rose slowly. “Niall Hammerfist cart and carry service? Or would you prefer to fly above the dangers of the crowd? I can’t be sure but I bet you would be able to spot items easier from your altitude.” He beamed at his companion, eager to brave the streets once more.
Niall Hammerfist
Wanderer

Words: 91202
Joined roleplay: August 2nd, 2013, 4:46 am
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Hoizons in Autumns Light

Postby Vernadel on October 2nd, 2013, 11:25 am

Vernadel

Vernadel was so surprised at Niall's reaction to her question that she sat back quickly against her wooden chair, banging her spine on the rungs. Niall Hammerfist was afraid of something? And it was water? The concept humanized him in her eyes and it was endearing to know that he would share something so personal with her.

"I'm sorry you had those experience," she told him, "and I'm sorry I brought it up at all." The Isur's breath was coming in short gasps and Vern realized just how much his near-drownings must have affected him. She would never want to scare him or make him do something that he didn't want to do, but she couldn't help thinking how much he was missing out by avoiding swimming in the ocean.

"When you are ready, I would love to swim with you. I can teach you how to keep your head up and relax in the water. It is like a dream, swimming with sea creatures. Most people don't know how colorful it is under the sea...how the lights dance in the waves and how all the different colors of fish and coral and weeds and stones create a sight more beautiful than any painting the most talented artist could paint. I'm sure you'll love it if you learned a few techniques and I wouldn't let anything happen to you," Vernadel finished bashfully.

A few ticks later she beamed at his compliment about her accessories. Though her mother always laughed at her bangles and baubles, Vern loved nothing more than to make jewelry from sea and land treasures. She thanked Niall and watched him finish off her meal, reassuring him that he did not have to hurry so fast. When he licked his fingers clean, the Akvatari wondered why it made her feel funny and she looked away, out to the bustling streets, that had cleared out some but still seemed busy.

Leaving their coins on the table, the pair of them got up from their chairs and pushed them in. Vernadel smoothed the fur at her lap when Niall asked her how they should proceed, contemplating. The thought of being in his arms again was exhilarating, but she also did not want to tax him anymore when she was perfectly capable of flying. Well, at least outside. Vern tilted her head to look at the low ceilings of the eatery.

"Um, I can fly once we leave the buildings," she said, "but I don't want to knock anyone or anything over in here or in any other shops." More importantly, she did not want to flop around like a beached whale and draw attention to herself. Nor did she want Niall to see her move so ungracefully.

That was why she waited for Niall to approach her, set his hands on her waist and lift her up once more in order to carry her out of the eatery. This time, she was aware of every place her body touched his and though she longed to stroke his shoulder, his face, or his hair, she refrained. Too soon he set her down again, once they were free of low ceilings and Vernadel thanked him. She stretched her wings out, the thin lavender film of those appendages contrasting her dark hair and eyes.

Propelling herself up into the air, Vern hovered above the Isur and scanned the streets. Most of the promising tents and shops seemed to be to their right, so she looked down at Niall and gestured in that direction.

Vernadel

Character sheet
Journal

Hoizons in Autumns Light

Postby Niall Hammerfist on October 3rd, 2013, 10:16 pm

Niall sighed deeply in releif, grateful for Vernadel’s understanding of his fear of water. He nodded to her recommendation that he take things slowly. The idea of easing into something like swimming in deep water was comforting, though it still gave him tingles thinking about what might be lurking in the briny deep. Her description of the oceans depths sounded amazing and Niall pondered what sort of colors he might see there. When she mentioned that she would be there to make sure he didn’t drown, it brought another measure of comfort and Niall’s mind began to relax about the idea.

His discomfort melted away as he took in her warm smile. His compliment must have hit the right mark, which he secretly celebrated. He stood with her when she was ready. He nodded in agreement with her idea of carrying her to the street, and then letting her fly from there.

The side of Niall’s mouth upturned slightly when she extended her arms to him waiting for him to pick her up. Not wasting time, he reached his arms around her and scooped her up out of her chair. Just as he had before he easily balanced her weight in his arms, and against his chest. The ruffle of shifting her about un-knotted the lace that held the top part of his shirt closed, leaving but a hint of his toned chest exposed.

When they were free of the walls and roof of the eatery, Niall set Vernadel down in a clean part of the street and watched as she spread her gossamer wings and flitted gracefully up into the air. He was fascinated by her ability, and wondered enviously how easily it might have been to travel if he had the ability to fly. He tucked a seed of an idea away in his head and focused on the task at hand. There were clothes in one of these establishments, and they were going to be his soon! He looked up and down the street at the throngs of people as they milled about chaotically. Finally, he looked to Vernadel and shrugged.

Vernadel motioned down the street toward some of the clothier and armor vendors and Niall began a careful navigation in that direction. He juked and wove his way through the crowd until he found himself standing before a large open tent, whose wares seemed varied. He tore his eyes away from the raucous array of color, and with a look of excitement, beckoned Vernadel to come down to him. There he waited patiently, arms outstretched, ready to catch her as she descended.

Niall was ready for some renewal. He could hardly contain himself. He felt both afraid and nervous at the same time. What would he look like in a few hours. The idea was driving him nuts.
Niall Hammerfist
Wanderer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Hoizons in Autumns Light

Postby Vernadel on October 4th, 2013, 2:13 am

Vernadel

It felt so delightful to stretch her wings and sail through the fresh air and all Vernadel wanted to do was to soar up and up through the clouds. But she had to keep her eyes on Niall's sandy head or she would lose him in the crowd. She twirled a couple times above the street vendors and visitors, grateful to be in one of her elements once again. A few strangers looked up at her and she wilted somewhat at their attention, but for the most part, everyone was so busy that they barely noticed her.

Vern kept her eyes on Niall as he weaved through the crowds, wishing she was strong enough to pick him up and carry him through the sky. Especially to return his kind favors of toting her around. She bent at the waist and flipped forward, her tail whipping through the air and making a man's hat blow off his head. Vernadel put her hands to her mouth and hurried away, just catching a glimpse of Niall beckoning to her.

The Akvatari descended slowly, cautious of the people around her. She dropped in between Niall's outstretched hands, wrapping her arms around his neck to slow herself, giggling like a small girl all the while. She hadn't felt so light-hearted since she left Abura. To be held like this was only something she experienced in her memories of her childhood.

A very tall, strange looking couple was staring at her with mixed expressions. They could have been repulsed, weirded out, or just plain frightened and Vern's cheeks grew warm as she peered at them over Niall's shoulder. She covered her eyes with her hand and let herself be carried under the tent, the sun's warmth suddenly blocked by the canvas.

Vernadel shifted in the Isur's arms, her movements causing his shirt to open a little more. Her left arm still hooked over his shoulder, she scrutinized the wooden posts that littered the area under the tent. Many were draped with brightly colored tunics, breeches, capes and vests. Others were strung with belts, and a variety of caps. Vern inhaled through her nose, reveling in the scent of leather and cotton. Maybe she should wear more clothes...but naw, it wouldn't do to have to strip down every time she wanted to go in the water.

"Over there," she said, stretching her arm out toward the back of the tent. A slate gray shirt with gold piping had caught her eye and when Niall took her over near the rack it was hanging on, she wriggled against him. "Please," she whispered, "put me down." When her tail touched the earth, Vern gripped Niall's wrist, balancing herself as she flopped forward a pace.

"This is nice," she told him, fingering the soft material. She lifted it off the rack and held the collar up to Niall's chest, tilting her head in thought as she contemplated the color scheme.

Vernadel

Character sheet
Journal

Hoizons in Autumns Light

Postby Niall Hammerfist on October 8th, 2013, 1:08 am

The place was filled to the brim with clothes of riotous colors and varied designs. His eyes wandered hazardously as he momentarily forgot that he carried a person in his arms. “Amazing. It’s like some genius took art and functionality and wove them into something people could wear.” He looked about in wonder, his eyes coming to rest on a dark brown leather tunic on a simple wooden Mannequin. It was split at the shoulders allowing the wearer to take off the sleeves and wear it as a Double Breasted Vest.

His admiration was distracted when he realized that his friend was
reaching toward a Dark Gray Shirt with Gold accents. She wriggled against his hold on her almost like an Eel, which made him struggle to keep a hold, out of instinct. Afterall he didn’t want to drop her on her head. Though when she whispered to let her down, he mentally slapped his forehead. Of course she would want to wander a bit you idiot. He thought to himself, as he set her down gently near the rack the shirt rested on. She nearly flopped face first into the floor, if not for the hold she had on his wrist.

Her species was really not meant to travel on land. He felt a swell of compassion for her and he knelt to give her a bigger anchor to hold onto. As she regained her balance he watched as she tenderly plucked the shirt off the rack and held it up to his chest. He had never worn anything so fine and this. He felt the fabric between his thumb and forefinger, admiring how soft it was. It reminded him of a bed sheet.

“It’s so soft Vernadel. I could sleep in this!” he exclaimed. He looked seriously at the piece of cloth in his hand. “I think it would be quite striking.” He drew the sleeve of his shirt through his hand down to the cuff and looked at the gold stitching. He contemplated on it a moment and commented. “This will set me back a few Mizas, but this is definitely a very comfortable shirt.” He nodded to his companion in thanks. “Thank you Vern.”

He stood slowly, bringing the shirt with him. Casually he draped the clothing over his arm and looked around for that leather over coat he had seen. “I’ll need a new pair of pants, and new boots to replace these.” He motioned to his stained woolen pants, and ragged boots. He searched until his eyes found the Tunic Again and he wandered toward it absentmindedly. He tenderly gripped at its sleeve pulling firmly testing its give. It was sturdy, but maneuverable. It had been tanned expertly. He unbuttoned it and held it out for the little Akvatari to see. The Tunic was dark brown leather, similar in shade to dark chocolate, or the warm brown of a Bay Horse.

“What do you think? It seems somewhat serviceable as light armor, and I could even take off the sleeves for a more social setting?” He lowered his gaze to the Leather Tunic, obviously smitten with its design.
Niall Hammerfist
Wanderer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Horizons in Autumns Light

Postby Vernadel on October 8th, 2013, 8:35 pm

Vernadel

Pleased that Niall liked the slate colored shirt, Vernadel gave a little hop and flitted carefully over to the rack with the article of clothing that had caught his eye. As he tugged on the leather vest, Vern watched his face, smiling at the excitement she saw there. The tunic was very well-made and the deep shade of brown nicely contrasted the gray in the shirt. The Akvatari stretched her fingers to touch the material. It was supple and smooth, but quite thick and Niall was indeed correct about it acting as a kind of light armor. She couldn't wait to see it on him.

"It's splendid," she told him when he asked her opinion. "I really like the color. Want to try it on?" While the Isur slipped his arms through the sleeves of the leather tunic, Vern moved her eyes around the tent.

"You will need a pair of pants that either match that vest, or the shirt," she said practically. She spotted a rack of breeches and half flopped, half fluttered over to it, triumphant that she hadn't knocked anything over in the process. There were some shiny black pants that would match his arm, but not the rest of the clothing he'd picked out, and some other tan colored pants, that wouldn't really work with what he already had either. Vern awkwardly maneuvered herself behind the rack to look at some others, catching Niall out of the corner of her eye. She did a double take.

He looked absolutely brilliant in the leather vest, even fitted over his raggedy shirt. His shoulders looked broader, his chest wider, and his stomach flatter. As he buttoned the last of the buttons to make sure it fit around him and he could move freely in it, Vernadel cleared her throat a little and looked back to the breeches quickly.

"That looks fine on you," she commented. "And here! These leather pants would match it quite well, though it's a tad lighter brown, but I think that wouldn't matter." The pants were long and the ones she'd chosen were up on the highest bar of the rack, one she couldn't reach from her position on the ground. She held the bottom leg of one side of them, so she wouldn't lose them among the others again, and waited for Niall to join her. In the meantime, she wondered what he might do with his old clothes, now that he would be getting a whole new outfit. Perhaps he would let her keep a bootlace or two, as the string was perfect for making necklaces and hairbands.

Vernadel

Character sheet
Journal

Postby Niall Hammerfist on October 10th, 2013, 10:02 pm

Niall couldn’t wait to put the tunic on, he lay down the shirt and slid the leather over his old clothes. It was a little tight in the shoulders so he loosened the laces and moved his arms around a bit till they were set for his frame. He buttoned up the vest moved and around, feelingsthe tunics motion. It didn’t inhibit him one bit. A satisfied grin bloomed on his face.

“That looks fine on you.” Vernadel said. Niall’s grin turned into a beam that made the crow’s feet at the corners of his eyes stand out. . "And here! These leather pants would match it quite well, though it's a tad lighter brown, but I think that wouldn't matter."

Pants? Didn’t he just say that? He chuckled softly. He obviously wasn’t the only one who was distracted by this place. Niall was testing the motion of how the leather felt as he made a striking motion with an imaginary sword in his hand, when the strangest little creature appeared out of the racks and mannequins of clothing. It seemed to be made of porcelain clay, and at first Niall thought it must have been a doll animated with magic. However when it began to shout at him in a frustrated tone a memory triggered in his head. He had remembered a conversation that his father had had with an iron trader about the Pycon people.

“Why are you staring at me like that, you big clumsy oaf?!” She fumed. At least Niall thought it was a she. “Are you special in the head?” The Pycons look of anger turned to concern as Niall’s look of curiosity turned into amazement. “Hey, biggun! Are you ok?”

Niall shook the amazement off his face and tried to focus. “Please forgive me, madam. I have never met a Pycon before.” He bowed slightly. “My name is Niall. Is this your shop?”

“Yes it is, and I’d appreciate you not destroying my merchandise! Now get that off!” The Pycon was waving erratically at him in an effort to get him to take off the tunic he was wearing. “I don’t give away clothes to the homeless!” Niall was surprised at the Pycons assessment of his state of wealth, though as he remembered how he must look he understood. Though that did nothing to curb the wound to his ego.

Niall’s eyes narrowed slightly and he reminded himself that he looked like he had just crawled out of a Gutter. “I am not homeless, good miss.” He said looking down on the Pycon. He sighed softly letting his anger out slowly. With care he knelt down before the Pycon shop keeper and bowed his head. “You must forgive my appearance. I have been travelling the road a very long time and I am in need of new clothes.”

The Pycon seemed somewhat suspicious of him when he knelt down. “Where are you from?” She said, her own eyes narrowing now at him.

For what seemed like minutes the pair watched one another through narrowed eyes, until at last Niall offered his black hand to her. The Pycon seemed about to recoil thinking it a diseased limb, but something halted her dramatics. Slowly she reached out and tapped her clay hand against Niall’s stony metallic fingers.

“You’re an Isur?” She said a measure of guarded respect in her voice. “Are you a craftsman of some sort?” She said suspicion coating her tongue again.

Niall smiled and bowed his head again. “A humble blacksmith at your service lady Pycon.” Lifting his head to look at this feisty little piece of clay before him he continued. “I have travelled from Kalea to The Spires, then on to Karjin, and syliras. Finally I have arrived in this magnificent city and found myself in your establishment of refined wares. The silks, felt and fine leather would not be fit for one such as myself, though I hoped that you might make an exception. “

The little Pycon stared at him a long moment then spoke softly. “I don’t trust flatterers. Their tongues are far too quick for their own good.”

Niall saw he was losing his chance at a new set of clothes. Since flattery was not this Pycon’s persuasion he switched to business. “Then perhaps you would trust my coin far better?” He said as he gently patted the pouch on his hip, which made the cheery chinking sound that could only be made my Mizas.

The little Pycon narrowed her eyes again and pointed an accusing finger at Niall, which made Niall raise his hands defensively. “No more foolery in my shop.” She pointed at Niall. “And that goes for you too little lady!” She said pointing to Vernadel. “You two bring whatever you want to buy to the booth when you are done!” She demanded and pittered off under the racks of clothes.

Niall was still in shock when he turned to look at Vernadel. What a morbidly strange little creature. I wonder if all Pycons are like her? Niall was about to speak his mind, but he simply shook his head letting it go. It was impolite to speak ill of folks you had only just met. Even ones like the Pycon.

“I’m sorry about that.” He said as he stood and walked over to Vernadel as she gripped the pant leg of a pair of soft leather pants. He gripped them securely in his hand and lifted them off the rack so she could get a better look at them. Kneeling down again so he could be at her height he tested the quality of the pants as well with a rub of his thumb, or a tug on the leather. For a moment a strange thought entered into his mind. The Akvatari was excellent at picking clothes, especially for one who didn’t wear much.

Before he could stop himself, the words spilled from him. “You are very good at picking out clothes Vernadel.” At first he didn’t like the way they sounded in his ears, though they seemed friendly enough. He gave his little friend a gentle nudge, and followed up his playfulness with a smile."Thanks for helping me."
Niall Hammerfist
Wanderer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Vernadel on October 11th, 2013, 10:55 am

Vernadel

Peering around the colorful clothes, Vernadel caught sight of the most curious creature she had ever seen. A small clay figure that moved and talked had come right up to Niall and was shouting at him. It reminded Vern of Inty, the clay man that lived in a clamshell that her mother had formed, and she grew quite excited. This little being seemed to be female and as Niall bent down to it and talked to it, the Akvatari craned her neck around a big furry coat to see better.

When the clay woman turned and pointed her, growling out orders, Vernadel laughed at it quietly, wishing she could run to it and pick it up and take it home with her as a pet. But no, that would not be right, because this tiny lump of clay was alive and seemed to possess her own personality. Besides, from the way she talked, she could definitely take care of herself.

Niall made his way over to her as the clay woman huffed away toward a booth and Vern smiled at him, raising her eyebrows as if to say, what was that all about? Not wanting to talk about the odd creature within earshot, she just gave a little shrug and reminded herself to ask Niall about the woman later when they were away from the tent.

The Isur took the pants off the rack and kneeled down to show them to her, but Vernadel's eyes stayed fixed on his face as he ran his hands over the leather. There was such strength in his jawline and straight nose, but there was also a boyish tinge to his features, even covered in stubble. His eyes held nearly every color that she possessed in her paint set, so unlike her own shiny black voids that seemed to absorb all the hues of Mizahar into their inky depths. Niall's expression changed as a thought occurred to him, a reaction that Vern was getting used to. His mind was always working behind those multi-tinted eyes.

He complimented her on picking out clothes, and the Akvatari looked down at her hands, grinning shyly. "Thanks," she said, "of course, I don't mind helping you, especially after all you've done for me." She did not meet his gaze as he nudged her, but her eyes settled on his feet, barely protected by his old footwear. He wouldn't be able to try any boots on, though, with all of the other merchandise in his arms, so Vern gently plucked the gray shirt, leather vest, and pants from him and rose into the air a little ways, careful not to to go too high.

"Why don't I take these up to that woman, while you look for a new pair of boots," she suggested. "I'll meet you up there."

Vernadel

Character sheet
Journal

Postby Niall Hammerfist on October 13th, 2013, 11:19 pm

Niall wasn’t sure what he could have possibly done to make the Akvatari so grateful to him. Though he smiled genuinely, glad to know he had made someone so happy. As quick as could be she took the clothes from his arms and was flitting her way toward the booth where the feisty Pycon surely awaited them. He watched as her gossamer wings carried her away. A slight pang of sadness touched him when she was out of sight.

He heaved a short sigh and went in search of some new boots to replace his novelty ones. As he wandered into the footwear area of the shop, he found the smell of newly polished leather intoxicating. He loved that smell. He took a short moment to evaluate a pair of thigh high boots with a mass of laces that he could have easily braded into a rope and decided they would be too difficult to lace up in a hurry. He imagined his Gillies from the mountains and considered something like them here, but the idea of walking the cobble stone streets of Zeltiva without a sole would destroy his feet.

No, Niall needed a boot with a heel, and ankle support if he could find it. He inspected a couple other boots on the shelves dismissing them in turn. Nothing seemed to fit his needs. Finally he lifted a pair of Ankle high boots that had a heavy reinforcement at the ankle, and the back of the heel. He lifted one of them up and flexed the sole. It held its shape while at the same time was flexible. The sole was thick yet soft. They reminded him of something the miners and guardsman used to wear at the mining camp.

For just a moment he smiled and touched the fine leather, remembering being just a wee one as he watched the boots of men walking through the forge from under the table. Feeling somewhat successful he picked up its mate and walked to the counter where he found the Pycon staring at Vernadel with a look of accusation. Vernadel on the other hand was cheerily ignoring her. When they were ready and all had been paid for, Niall packed up his new gear in his pack and the pair made for the street.

It was midafternoon when their little adventure had ended. Niall walked the streets his new clothes safe in his pack. Vernadel was likely on her way back to the University. When they were about to part ways, she had asked Niall if they would meet again. His answer? An eager yes.

As the sun set that day, Niall found himself staring at the new clothes he had bought with the Akvatari. He sat there in the furthest chair from his bed, almost as if he was nervous about what was there. His new clothes lay spread out on his bed neatly, the letter to Savannah Farstar rested atop of them. When my old clothes are gone, the only things that are left are my sword, my father’s arm, the Brigandine, the Journal and the letter. he thought. A mix of emotions filled him leaving an acidic taste on his tongue. A long sigh escaped his lips as he stood up out of his chair. His gate was slow and each step felt a difficult journey.

He took one last look at his new clothes and closed his eyes. It was time to let go, but honor needed to be given. An honor he would provide soon. In the candle light of his room in the Inn, Niall shed his old life. Each article fell lightly to the floor and he reached for his new clothes.

Niall Hammerfist
Wanderer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

PreviousNext