Working in a Shop and Shop Moderations

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Shane Wallsly on October 21st, 2013, 10:21 pm

Something odd just occurred to me and the more I think about it I think I am surely wrong but I feel like it wouldn't do me any harm to check.

See, every shop has a location thread and every now and again players drop into said thread to look about the shop or purchase someone. Every shop has an NPC or two which a staff member will play out to assist the customer player. Now if I am a clerk at a shop can I sell stuff to a PC who comes into the location thread? In my job threads I will be selling to NPCs and such and, while I know there is a remarkable difference between NPC and PC, I couldn't help but ponder the idea of it. Of course I would want no special bonus for simply doing my job. I would take prices from the Price List suitably and according to how the STs have been pricing throughout the thread and, if I screw up, I would of course be willing to be fired as with any real job.

I don't know why or when that turned into me pleading my case but in all honesty I was just wondering if that was a thing people could do. At the end of the day, as an extra clerk would do in real life, it would only alleviate the burden on STs if only a small amount.
Group Threads: 1/3

ImageImageImage

Clerk at Mystic Eye Fortune Telling
Shane Wallsly
Success Is The Only Option

Words: 284445
Joined roleplay: September 30th, 2013, 9:10 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)

Postby Syveris on October 21st, 2013, 11:03 pm

Well, I think that you would need permission from the Storyteller in charge of the city to work on a shop that's not your own or owned by a PC. So, if you have the permission, then you would be able to sell stuff, since you would be doing your job.

I don't know if there are too many differences between selling to a NPC or a PC if you sell on the right price. But if the PC wants to bargain, then I think a Storyteller is needed. Otherwise, I'd say you're allowed to sell to PCs too.

If someone answers differently, though, I would take their advice. I'm still quite new to the site, too. :P
Syveris
Emotional Glassworker

Words: 334020
Joined roleplay: September 1st, 2013, 2:25 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Eanos on October 22nd, 2013, 1:30 pm

If you've been given a job in a shop location by a storyteller then that is really telling you that they want you to sell to PC's as your primary function. They want PCs to come into that shop because they get to interact with another PC and not just another relatively faceless NPC. They want you to drag PCs into your shop and to sell them things that they don't need. There is very little fun in having a job where you only do solo threads.

Of course pricing variations below the Price List will require ST input, but once you get your feet that will come naturally and at some point you will build up the trust of the ST's to do a good job such that any supervision will come purely as part of the grading process - and as a bonus to your seasonal wages.

Eanos
Overgiven Magesmith

Words: 443521
Joined roleplay: March 22nd, 2010, 2:38 pm
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Donor (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Kit Rowan on October 22nd, 2013, 1:33 pm

You don't need a storyteller to bargain with other PCs. You just need to sort it out IC. Part of the joy of playing with a PC on the store end is the ways that prices suddenly get fluid and changeable.
Unless Otherwise Stated, Expect Kit To Have Already Disguised Herself With Illusionism As 'Shy' In Every Ravok Thread.
Kit Rowan
Acrobat, Sorceress, Rogue

Words: 433379
Joined roleplay: April 29th, 2011, 11:37 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (2)

Postby Shane Wallsly on October 22nd, 2013, 9:14 pm

Well I was given the job via the Employment Office but I get what you're saying. I might just turn up next time someone pops into the Undeniable Interests location and sell, sell, sell!
Group Threads: 1/3

ImageImageImage

Clerk at Mystic Eye Fortune Telling
Shane Wallsly
Success Is The Only Option

Words: 284445
Joined roleplay: September 30th, 2013, 9:10 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)

Postby Alea Davenport on October 22nd, 2013, 9:44 pm

If you want a solid answer I'd just PM one of the storytellers in Syliras. I personally prefer to create separate threads instead of posting in Location threads, so I don't really have a good response for this question myself ;)
Alea Davenport
Wielder of Obfuscated and Circuitous Logic

Words: 477755
Joined roleplay: October 28th, 2011, 10:54 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Guest Storyteller (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)