Completed Flourishing Knife Play

A mix of everything

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

An undead citadel created before the cataclysm, Sahova is devoted to all kinds of magical research. The living may visit the island, if they are willing to obey its rules. [Lore]

Flourishing Knife Play

Postby Morvale Barrows on October 26th, 2013, 3:01 pm

Flourishing Knife Play

26th Of Fall 513 AV

Once again Morvale found himself in his room, he was interested in very little at the moment. What was there for him to do after all? Most of the wizards he'd met didn't want much to do with a flux user. They harnessed the power of elements like ice and lightning used glyphs to bend and shape there crafts or created voids into a realm of nothingness or animated the dead. There was so very little he could do with Flux except enhance himself, since he'd put on that bracelet he felt real down in the dumps. He felt hopeless and useless and he went over what he could do and couldn't do, the truth was those petching undead bastards would view him as a one trick pony. Speed reflex and agility, it would have been nice to feel like he accomplished something but looking back it didn't amount to much. His dagger play was lacking, he hadnt really progressed in either flux or acrobatics and whatever he had created through Malediction seemed to hold no special powers.

A medicine bag that didn't provide and noticeable physical enhancements
And a charm bracelet that made him feel like shyke, it was a real prize considering what he'd gone through to create.

Morvale took the bracelet off and tossed it at the wall where it clattered to the floor, useless he thought to himself. A bag that does nothing, and a best friends forever bracelet. Morvale felt like a joke, a complete laughingstock.

But that was ok, he'd pick himself up and try again.

As he concentrated his energy he could feel the erratic sensation across the matrix of his nerve fibers before releasing the energy from one half to the the other in a blurring movement Morvale let his muscles relax and did not tense then to allow it to travel faster. As the energy turbulently rocketed through him. He always felt like he synchronized himself and harnessed something like a shadow within a metaphore for metaphysical energy he seemed to tap into and harness.

He just didn't care anymore each time he stepped he jolted, he just decided to loose himself in the flow of the moment. With every maneuver the flux screamed through his body as the ball bounced through him.

Morvale felt more comfortable with his shadow within, this kinetic energy that rippled like water through his being.

To go from fast to impossibly fast in a blink of an eye was his gift.

And with every passing moment he continued to push the envelope, as he stepped off to the side. He remembered how long it took him to figure that out, now it seemed boring as he whirred from one corner of his room to another.

Every time he practiced he felt better intertwined with the movements.

He stepped forward baiting himself for an attack and then relied upon acrobatic foot work to help him sneakily evade a mock devastating blow. Before driving the flux full throttle into a dizzying counter attack.

He felt great ontop of his game
Last edited by Morvale Barrows on October 28th, 2013, 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Morvale Barrows
Quick On The Draw

Words: 53187
Joined roleplay: June 7th, 2013, 4:39 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet

Flourishing Knife Play

Postby Morvale Barrows on October 26th, 2013, 5:06 pm

Acrobatic grace and flare, what he lacked with a dagger he made up for with maneuverable foot work. Not only foot work but critical hand eye coordination, and proper timing and tempo as his feet shuffled across the ground. Where his feet were placed, when they are placed and at what time could not only dictate whether he was hit or missed it allowed him the flexibility to bypass offenses and defenses alike opening up points of oppurtunity to lash out and strike to do damage.

It was like a dance but more of a waltz, it was an art that was forming from the basics of dagger play as his acrobatic intuition and grace came into the fold to take advantage of his superior reflex.

Sometimes moments of utter pop came into play as he carried himself fancy free and footloose, deception in his movements followed by staggering bursts of rippling flux energy let him move supernaturally across the room. He had a feeling he'd overwhelm those who wished him harm by how nimble he was.

Still in the fray he surprised himself with the level of control he exhibited, always and forever cautious not to over exert himself. As he released himself from the flux to let his body polarize with it's inner self. He dropped into auto pilot and let the adrenaline that pumped through him to take over.

He'd have to get better, of course he smiled at the very thought of felling opponents before they realized what happened. Nothing compared to that feeling of superiority, even if he was just a one trick pony forget the skills the techniques it was always the fastest swordsman that wins
Last edited by Morvale Barrows on October 26th, 2013, 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morvale Barrows
Quick On The Draw

Character sheet

Flourishing Knife Play

Postby Morvale Barrows on October 26th, 2013, 10:30 pm

Sleight of hand was a technique a skill he wished to hardwire into himself, as instead of simply drawing the dagger from his belt he wanted to snap his hand forward grab the handle pull it free from its leather holster and whip it into an opponent. Something new to be developed as he felt that spasmatic kick of adrenaline kicking furiously through his veins.

As he hand lunged forward acrobatic hand eye coordination came into play, he had to know his reach where the weapon was on him. The depth of his target how much or how less force was needed to propel it into his phantom adversary. How far he had to go in order to get his hands and fingers around the handle, without over extending his arm and losing precious seconds in the process of reeling it back and whipping it forward to release it.

A few times here and there just to get a feel for this, as a daggers hit the wall and clanged off it. Each time he felt he did a little better each time it was a little zippier then the last. Intangible foot work, coupled with a an understanding and comfortability in throwing the blade. It wasn't about technique it was about depth perception and the ability to throw on impulse in a state of mind where it felt natural. Over thinking wasted time, killed maneuverability, made it predictable these things he needed to erase as his goal was turn this into not a technique but a reflex.
Morvale Barrows
Quick On The Draw

Character sheet

Flourishing Knife Play

Postby Morvale Barrows on October 28th, 2013, 11:41 am

His combat skills lacked a certain level of finesse that only real time and experience with the weapon could provide. As his hand move to and frow he was realizing just how poor his skill with the dagger itself was. As the daggers edged whirred from agile movements as his steel sang as it swayed in the air, he concentrated on his techniques the basics of cutting back and forth with the double edge of his polished dagger.

He could do a great many things, his agile hands whirled into an inward slash it's momentum from acrobatic reflex enhanced as the flux focused through his arm to take inward force and reflect it outwards in a screaming richote as his hand flew back assaulting his target with the opposite edge.

He stepped forward with his inner shadow as if he had blinked forward, as the energy build up in his arm bounced through him towards his foot as it stepped far out, to maximize his reach in a staggeringly turbulent forward thrust.

It was the same handle crank dagger twist he had done before to seal the deal, but then as he stood there he realized something that he wanted to apply to a new technique. The fun and games of bouncing around his room seemed to wear off in light of wanting to accomplish something ground breaking.
Morvale Barrows
Quick On The Draw

Character sheet

Flourishing Knife Play

Postby Morvale Barrows on October 28th, 2013, 1:48 pm

In the end so what if he could thrust his knife fast, or wildly swing it. Morvale needed more and even though it was critical to land an attack maybe it was time to re-evaluate how he was applying what he learned. It didn't take an awful lot of concious thought to figure out a dagger cutting someone's throat was a mortally wounding blow. It didn't take an advanced gadgeteer to understand that where you struck the target was a huge part of the daggers effectiveness with its deceptive and devastating maneuverability.

Another factor was weapon range it's distance, his hand eye coordination in acrobatics played a key role in just about every aspect of his style. But maybe he had to relearn and create a form of understand just how far he needed to be to effectively cut someone of properly jam the weapon into them.

He had settled down, pacing back and forth till he figured out a way to test this idea that had sprung into his mind. Facing the wall in his room he extended his hand until it tip of his dagger touched the wall. Looking down he eyed the distance from himself to the wall and then stepped back.

He moved in again and moved his dagger slowly till the edge tapped the wall, then he began to move again bobbing from side to side stepping back a few feet then reeling in to swing the double edged blade towards the wall to tap it. It was a matter of understanding the principal of extended reach and as he applied the knowledge he began to weave it into his training regiment.

When he was finished he went back to stretching, bracing his hands against his stone slab of a bed he pulled back releasing the tension that had been applied to his arms and back. He'd move on to stretching his fingers and his wrists as one hand pulled back on the other and to complete the series he perched his feet on the bed while standing and pushed down with his hands to stretch out his legs, calfs and ankles.

Stretching was always good it kept him a well oiled machine and it allowed him to perform flux faster and safer while performing those acrobatic foot work and maneuvers.
Morvale Barrows
Quick On The Draw

Character sheet

Flourishing Knife Play

Postby Mirage on November 6th, 2013, 3:25 am

Morvale
Flux +2
Daggers +1
Acrobatics +1

Lores :
  • N/A

Truth Hidden by a Mirage :
Hey Morvale! I am pretty sure we had our little chat about more details and such after this thread was created, but it will not hurt to go over just what I see in this thread and ways you can improve :)

1) First and foremost you need to go back and check for errors. You have random grammar and syntax mistakes in your first post that makes it very difficult to get through. I do not see this very often from you, but I see it enough to know that it needs to be worked on a bit. You should never start your sentence with "And", "But" or any other Conjunction. Those are strictly for for connecting two complete sentences, and should never start a sentence :). You also should never start a sentence with the same word you started the sentence before with. I've not seen the 2nd so much from you, but you start sentences with and a lot lol. Here is an example in your first post of something I see a good bit from you:

A medicine bag that didn't provide and noticeable physical enhancements
And a charm bracelet that made him feel like shyke, it was a real prize considering what he'd gone through to create.

Morvale took the bracelet off and tossed it at the wall where it clattered to the floor, useless he thought to himself. A bag that does nothing, and a best friends forever bracelet. Morvale felt like a joke, a complete laughingstock.

But that was ok, he'd pick himself up and try again.

2 big things pop out at me here. 1 you keep hitting the enter key and moving to a new line when you should still be writing in one paragraph, and 2 you do not proof reed because the very first sentence is missing a period lol. Finally 3 you started 2 sentences with conjunctions all in one paragraph (at least it should be one paragraph). I think some of these issues might be you start writing and get in a rush and don't look back and see what you've written, which is OK but try and work on it a bit :).

2) Is really more like 2 and 3 lol, but they go together in the end. You should really try and work on writing longer paragraphs. Longer paragraphs means more words and sentences and usually more words and sentences means greater details. This thread was lacking in a LOT of details, especially the technical details of Morvale's actions. I got a general 'feel' for what was going on, but with what you wrote I could not actually picture it. This is true all the way until your very last post when I got very clear descriptions of WHAT Morvale was doing, and not just very general wordings of actions he was performing. Its very difficult sometimes to figure out what you actually mean in your threads because I cannot clearly see what his actions are and what he is contemplating or musing on. Keep in mind with your writing you should never go for the quickest route to get a post done. Instead you should try and write it so that the reader can clearly and easily see the scene you are trying to lay out for them. I could not see the scene in this thread, and so I could not award very many points (especially in acrobatics and daggers!!) because I had no real idea of WHAT Morvale's motions and actions were. I kinda knew that he was moving and swinging a dagger, but I could not picture in my mind those exact swings and motions :)

Lol reading back over all of this I feel like I sound mean, but I am really trying not to be! I want to help you with your writing bit by bit because I can see what you can become. There are times when your writing dazzles me (quite literally) and other times where it looks like you were not really trying as hard as others. There needs to be a healthy medium between these two Morvale's I see. Hopefully these little notes I will start leaving in your grades will help you on the road to improving your writing :)

As always PM if you have any concerns, and Happy Writing!

Mirage
Truth is never certain

Words: 1231300
Joined roleplay: January 5th, 2012, 8:47 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)