Completed [The Velvet Ear] A Day For The Ladies

Fiora, Nala, and Inari spend a well-planned day together, with a few unexpected twists along the way

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This lazy agricultural settlement rests on the swampy shores of the Middle Suvan at the delta of The Kenash River. The River's slow moving bayou waters have bred a different sort of people - rugged, cultured, and somewhat violent. Sprawling plantations of tobacco and cotton grow on the outskirts of the swamp in the rich Cyphrus soils, while the city itself curls around the bayou and spawns decadence and sins of all sorts. Life is slower in Kenash, but the lack of pace is made up for in the excesses of food and flesh in a city where drinking, debauchery, gambling, slavery, and overbearing plantation families dominate the landscape.

Moderator: Gossamer

[The Velvet Ear] A Day For The Ladies

Postby Inari Lorak on October 8th, 2013, 6:24 am

Inari had managed to maintain a visage of utmost professionalism and seriousness as she made her way around the desks. Even when she paused to remedy yet another one of Geric's antics, it held. For the most part, people were quiet and well-behaved, requiring help now and then but otherwise focused on their work.

When she reached Fi and Nala, however, she began to feel her sobriety being tested. She held on to it fiercely though, even when she noticed how curiously fat Fi's hourglass had turned out. Even more when the Benshiran Bull set her chubby piece next to Nala's slender one, further accentuating its ridiculous form. And especially when both knuckleheads began to giggle, and Nala broke her hourglass in half trying to show the two pieces to their stoic teacher.

It was only when Nala snorted, the gesture about as expected as pigs sprouting wings or Bice learning manners, that Inari lost her hold. The great guffaw that burst from her chest was so loud it shocked both Geric and Lorin right off their seats and sent Pina running from her station to see what had happened.

Inari was too lost in trying to remember how to breathe to explain. She was doubled over, clutching the back of Nala's chair so hard her knuckles had turned white. Tears streamed down her face, and she gasped in between fits of giggles,
"You just...petching...snorted..."

Moments later, she was just about ready to reclaim her composure when, much to her dismay, the Lorak caught sight again of Fi and her squat little hourglass beside Nala's broken one. It was so fat. So...funny looking. How did she even...?

There was a moment of silence, then Inari broke out into a renewed peal of laughter, unable to keep her eyes open and free of tears.

"Gods, you two are worse than the boys!" she cried, allowing the last of her giggles tumble out in a hiccuping, uncontrollable stream.

"Well, that's it, then. I think it's time we end our lessons. Attention students! Class is over. Pina, flip the sign. That's a good girl. Now everyone, to the cakes!"

Inari waved about as though directing an army, ending with one hand planted on her hip and the other pointed towards the courtyard, where several pre-purchased baked goods and sundries were waiting to be devoured.

"Yes, that includes you, Geric, and you too, Lorin. Now, march! Left, right, left right left!"

She refused to let anyone leave before they complied to her dictations, then led them all in bizarre procession through a glass door, out into the sunlit courtyard. Birds were chirping merrily amongst the verdant greenery, and the scent of both sweet and savory goods prompted more than one stomach to gurgle. They had been working since morning, and it was already well past midday.

In the center sat a large, wooden table surrounded by wide chairs and potted plants. A brick wall hid the space from public view and all around sprouted flowers, herbs, and outlandish statues of goat-faced men and strapping young goddesses.

Pina, for once wearing a nice dress of periwinkle instead of her silly little sheep costume, rushed eagerly to set out the plates, cups, and utensils, then served heaping portions for each person present, making sure to give herself the biggest pile of all. She ran off as soon as she had finished, settling onto her favorite rock as she munched away her food and stared intently at all the life wiggling about in a nearby pond.

Inari clapped, grinning ear to ear at having so many friends in attendance to share this delectable meal.
"Well, I shall delay you no further, friends. Let the feasting...commence!"

Lies and truths are but cogs in a wheel.
Inari Lorak
Carver by day, miscreant by night.

Words: 73400
Joined roleplay: September 3rd, 2013, 4:47 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Fiora Radacke on October 9th, 2013, 11:04 am

Fiora

Something always seemed to happen when the three of them got together that would push them into hysterics and today was no exception. For Fiora's part, it could have been the fact that any laughter or hilarity was constantly suppressed when she was at home in Whiplash. So, perhaps she overdid herself when she was away from her husband, free to giggle all she wanted with no one to squash her merriment.

At first, Fiora was concerned that Nala had broken her piece, especially after the Dhani had worked so hard on it. But when the Rajor snorted, Fiora buried her face in her hands, her shoulders shaking with mirth while Inari let out an incredibly loud guffaw. When the Benshira revealed her eyes again, she could see some of the other students smiling or laughing, infected by the trio, even if they were oblivious to what was so funny. Geric's face was plastered with a demonic grin and even serious Lorin had cracked a smirk.

The anxiety she had felt earlier about having to get up in front of them all and present the tools that went with the proper marks dispersed as Fiora laughed along with the rest of them. She wiped at her wet eyes and finally managed to calm down just as Inari announced the end of class. Rising up from her chair, Fiora pushed it in and giggled some more as Nala lay her two pieces of wood on the table. Then, she followed her friends to the courtyard.

In his haste to follow Inari's orders, Geric swiped past her and bumped forcefully into Nala. Fiora halted as she watched the Dhani turn her head very slowly toward the young man and pierce him with her captivating gaze and for once, the ginger haired boy was speechless. Looking to her right, Fiora shared a small smile with the quiet Lorin, who so contrasted his friend.

The sunshine felt so good on her shoulders and the top of her head as she made her way through the glass door, that Fiora wished she could lay down to nap in the warmth. Pina flitted around the table, serving Inari and all of the students, as well as herself before plopping down onto a rock and Fiora's smile widened at the girl. She stood with her plate and fork, prepared to enjoy the delicious smelling cake and already savoring what had turned out to be a wonderful day.

Fiora Radacke
Weaving tales and tapestries

Words: 55884
Joined roleplay: September 10th, 2013, 12:36 am
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Nalahessarajor on October 12th, 2013, 12:35 am

Nala was mortified, but that didn’t stop the ever-flowing stream of laughter that seemed to follow the three of them wherever they went. She blushed madly, clapping a hand over her mouth and keeping it closed until she could catch her breath. When her hand fell away her blush had not faded, leaving her cheeks a rosy pink that nearly matched her lips.

“My godsss, you two nearly sssuffocated me!” she teasingly accused, new giggles beginning to bubble up from within her. She forced them back quickly, trying to keep her composure. She was a lady, the proud face of the Rajor family. What she did, ALL that she did, impacted them in some way. She was simply glad the only Dynasties in the room were friendly; else she would never hear the end of “the snake that snorts”. It was terribly embarrassing, but it seemed to be taken in the greatest of humors, so as long as the joke managed not to resurface she felt as if she could let it go. Her friends would keep her safe, right?

Inari announced the end of the lesson and the beginning of cakes, calling for everyone to stand and march out of the shop as though she were captain of the city watch and the pastries were their mortal foes. All would fall before Inari’s mighty, and rather sweet-toothed, army. In their haste, Nala felt a body collide with hers, knocking her off balance. She was still new to walking two-legged, having only begun practice two years before, and turned to glare at her assailant. It was the fiery haired boy, the one that liked cracking jokes, who now seemed unable to do anything but stand. Nala stared him down, daring him to do anything else. Then with a wry, or perhaps foreboding, smile she turned and sauntered off as if it were all some merry joke to her.

Nala grinned more widely as she exited the work hall. It no longer smelled of wood chips, but the sweet smell of rotting leaves and sugar cakes. The sun upon her back made her feel lazy, and for a moment she wished to curl up on a sun bleached rock and simply…be. Since she’d first met the girls she’d had little time to herself, her days had been consumed by working at the Iron Pipe or partying with the girls on her off days. Times when she would have been allowed to sleep as much as she’d liked or watch over the plantation slaved had become shopping days or tea parties with her new friends. It was exhausting…but worth it.

She took her place at the table beside Fiora as a young looking slave girl dashed about serving cakes. She seemed quiet and well behaved, so Nala didn’t pay her much mind. She nodded politely as one was set before her, and had to resist unhinging her jaw. She knew how to eat in the Rajor household, but not so much with outsiders. In her home all were comfortable with the Dhani way, the way of snakes, and they swallowed their food whole. So she waited, watching, hoping someone else would demonstrate how humans ate their food.
Nalahessarajor
Player

Words: 41406
Joined roleplay: August 20th, 2013, 6:18 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet

Postby Inari Lorak on October 12th, 2013, 11:12 am

Now that they were all seated and served, she took a good look around at her fine guests. Geric, as usual, was tormenting Lorin, trying to feed him a bite of cake in an outrageously seductive manner. Beside them, Fi and Nala seemed a little weary but happy, the fresh air and sunshine as good a remedy for sore backs and brains as any. Though, the Lorak did note an expression of confusion and hesitance on Nala's part. Perhaps she'd never eaten meat pies before? Ah, well, she would find out soon enough.

Fork in one hand, plate in the other, Inari sawed off a piece of savory pie, speared it, and the shoved it into her mouth. Mmm.

"Hey, professor. So uh, you got any suitors or anything?

She nearly choked on the hard crust of her pie, setting down the fork with far more force than she'd intended. Gods be good, the boy was blunter than the flat end of a mallet.

"Or how about your lovely friends here--Fi and Nala, was it? Cause Lorin here can't deci--"

Geric found himself abruptly cut off when Lorin stuffed a large piece of cake in his mouth. The taller boy was blushing all the way to his forehead, but he managed a severe apology all the same. "Forgive this lowly oaf of a commoner, my ladies. He knows not when his mouth exceeds his brain."

"Hah! No truer a truth has ever been spoken. To Truth!" Inari laughed, holding her cup of milk in the air before draining it. Ahh, nice and cool and the best way to wash down a bite of baked perfection.

The flame haired boy, however, would not easily admit defeat. He chewed and swallowed and washed down the cake within ticks before resuming his interrogation. "But really. I think it only fair, as we are all friends now, that we share a bit about ourselves. I'll volunteer to go first."

Geric cleared his throat dramatically, then continued, "I'm but a humble assistant to an even humbler stable's master. I've got two sisters, a brother, and my parents are somewhere with the gods now--or where ever it is that folk go when their time's up. I've not found a wife yet, though that's probably because if I finally picked one, all the others would get upset. I like a good brandy, watching tavern brawls, and wooing beautiful women."

At that last sentence, he gave the three friends a dashing smile and knowing wink. Inari's eyes rolled skyward.

"Alright then, your turn Lorin."

The flustered boy ducked his head for a moment, then surprisingly spoke with quite a bit of conviction, as steady and sure as the course of a swift stream. "Well, I too am but a humble stable boy. I like Collin the stablemaster, and I like horses even more. I don't mind doing some of the heavy work--it keeps my mind off of...things. I like being here, too, though, and in a very different way. I never knew I was good at anything other than lifting heavy crates and taking care of horses."

They all stared at him, astonished. It was more than they'd ever heard him say of himself, and the attention evidently did not escape him. Lorin ducked again, this time mute with embarrassment.

"Well that was a fine introduction, if I don't say so myself. I shall go next!" Inari beamed, ever ready to leap into an exchange of tales. "I bet my parents and your parents have gotten to know each other quite well, Geric. As for who I am...well, when I'm not teaching you clowns, I like to go around collecting stories for my upcoming performances and coercing people to take part in them. I also like books with adventures, listening to people's secrets, and watching humble stableboys work."

She grinned openly after her last words, remembering the first time she'd caught Lorin whittling during his break, and how she had harassed him to no end until he agreed to take a lesson for free. How delighted she had been when he'd returned for a second--and with a new friend, too!

Inari tapped Fi on the shoulder next, giving her a look that all but said, spill it.

Lies and truths are but cogs in a wheel.
Inari Lorak
Carver by day, miscreant by night.

Words: 73400
Joined roleplay: September 3rd, 2013, 4:47 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Fiora Radacke on October 13th, 2013, 5:07 pm

Fiora

Relaxing in her chair, Fiora moved her head from side to side, cracking her neck a little. It was stiff from looking down at her wood, trying to concentrate on her masterpieces. She laughed at Geric and Lorin as they traded jests with Inari and each other. It was such a pleasant day and experience that Fiora almost didn't want to go home, though as always, she missed Marco and Lenthia.

Listening to Inari and the boys tell about themselves, Fiora took some dainty bites of her food and jiggled her leg under the table. Her fork was halfway to her mouth when the Lorak tapped her shoulder. Fiora bugged her eyes out at her friend, trying to convey how much she didn't want to talk about herself. But now they were all staring expectantly at her so she lowered her utensil and gave them all a slight nod before starting.

"I will be opening a shop soon," she started. "For tapestries and rugs. I enjoy weaving, reading, and spending time with my children and friends. Oh, and I'm married," she added, looking directly at the boys. But there was no way she was going to tell them who she was married to right now. The last thing she wanted was to spoil the afternoon worrying about people's opinions of the Radacke family. Most of which were accurate.

Shifting a little in her seat, the Benshira turned to Nala. The Dhani had not yet touched her pie and Fiora suddenly wondered if she wasn't used to eating this kind of food. What did her species eat anyway? Surely not live rodents?

Fiora Radacke
Weaving tales and tapestries

Words: 55884
Joined roleplay: September 10th, 2013, 12:36 am
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Nalahessarajor on October 16th, 2013, 1:58 am

Nala watched with mute interest as people began to eat their food. They seemed to cut it into smaller bits with their utensils, bits so small that one could fit it into their mouth without unhinging their jaw or even stretching it all too wide, and mashed it between their jaws. Nala’s eyes grew bright, as if she had become enlightened in some way. Teeth ARE for more than simply smiling and defending oneself! How peculiar…

She watched as she listened, paying attention to the stories of each of the girls and their pasts. It was of little interest to her, as she had heard the tales before and did not see a reason to share such things with the common folk. Freeborns were of little to no concern to her, except for when they were eating. It was a bizarre practice.

Just as she was about to pick up her utensils to carve away at her own slice of pie, she noticed the table had grown silent and that all eyes had fallen on her. Her jaw tightened, having to fight hard to ward of the defensive glare that came so naturally to her. She realized that they expected her to speak, to share her story with these people she cared so little for. She was here for Fiora and Inari, and perhaps the pie, and little more. However, she had to keep up appearances. She was the face of the Rajor family in that moment, straightening her back despite her natural tendency to sway to and fro.

“I facccilitate operationsss at my sssmoke shop, the Iron Pipe. I enjoy reading old tomesss from my homeland, Zinrah, and formulating new tobacco blendsss for display at my shop. I’m learning to carve amongssst other talentsss in order to augment my busssinesss practiccccesss.” It was not the complete truth, but most of it. She also had a fight in her that any who had been with her for very long could scarcely deny. On a certain level she ached for the brutality of a good wrestling match, even if she was little good at it, seeing it as an elegant yet powerful dance of the flesh.

She smiled through thin lips before returning her attention to her pie. She had to discover the secrets of human culinary art.
Nalahessarajor
Player

Words: 41406
Joined roleplay: August 20th, 2013, 6:18 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet

Postby Poppy on November 6th, 2013, 10:26 pm

...because you've EARNED it!

Inari :
+4 Observation
+2 Teaching
+1 Carving
+1 Socialization

Importance of Setting a Good Example
Geric & Lorin: Stableboys
Nalahessarajor: From Zinrah

Fiora :
+3 Observation
+1 Carving
+1 Socialization

Nalahessarajor: Talented Carver
Carving: Takes Strength
Carving: A Difficult Task
Nalahessarajor: From Zinrah

Nalahessrajor :
+3 Observation
+1 Carving
+1 Socialization

Fiora Radacke: Talented Carver
Carving: A Difficult Task
Different Ways to Learn
Teeth are for Eating

Notes :
How fun - this thread was a very enjoyable read. I could almost see the three of you dissolving into gales of laughter. Thanks!

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns!

But pleasures are like poppies spread,
You seize the flower, its bloom is shed.
Tam o'Shanter, Robert Burns

Kenash Codex | Poppy's Office | Poppy's Boxes
Moderated Threads: 1 of 3
Poppy
To remember...

Words: 33927
Joined roleplay: September 26th, 2013, 10:55 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 1
Artist (1)

Previous