Solo A Closed Mouth Never Gets Fed

(Job Thread) Learning the ropes with the madmen of the shipyard. You do what you can to get by.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

A Closed Mouth Never Gets Fed

Postby Ketrick on July 6th, 2013, 6:47 am

| The 7th of Fall, 513 AV
Early Morning, the Shipyard |

The sun was just perching over the water but most of the cottage was still dim to the light sleeper. It's rays peeked in though the small window by the table, the glare reached past and barely skimmed the side of Ketrick's face. It was just enough to seep under his eyelids, his conscious gaining to. He sat up right, throwing the rough blanket off his bare body with a grunt and leaned back on his elbows, adjusting to the early morning.

It wasn't much of a hassle to get ready for the day. Grubby clothes are the best he has for work, as the days would always consist of sweat, grime and wood shavings. Today would be his tenth day of work as shipwright. How lucky he felt for it, and with that he wanted to succeed in coming early. It was twelve chimes since he had locked up and left his cottage. With no excuses to cater to in what little free time he had, he was off to hang by the shoreline of the ocean, easing into his sense of calmness and clarity before handling the bustle of sailors and other workers at the docks.

"Lookie 'ere, the Queenlee boy showed," Two silhouettes stood in the distance ahead, the familiar voice of the male choked out the statement with a hit from his wood pipe. Both co-workers from the shipyard of course, and just like the rest, they only seemed to know him by his last lame. Middle son of the worthy shipwright Broden Queenlee. It had a nice ring to it, and all seemed okay to be known for his father's work. It did get his foot in the door. But Ketrick was here to earn his own place in business. He is skilled by his father's hand, yes, but he was not willing to stay in the shadow of his old man. "All ready for the lazy day ahead, I bet." This time the woman spoke, as Ketrick rounded closer to the two. they both laughed sarcastically with her words, taunting the newbie as he approached the smoke circle. The male automatically handed Ketrick the wood piece to hit from.

He snagged it from his hand without question, inhaling deep from the mouthpiece. A small cough pressed up through ketrick's chest, crooked grin lingering on his lips as the smoke rolled off his tongue. "I'll take what I can get." It was a simple statement from Ketrick, an there was nothing more to it. He was, of course, a newer builder at the docks and he had no real voice when it came to to the job. But that was part of the whole business. Ketrick has to work for his title, nothing is ever given so easily. He has to suck it up and take it if he wanted to get where he knows he should be. These two builders seemed to enjoy it, Ketrick never caught their names. They just found him through the bustle two days before and kept him to their own. There where no complaints about it from Queenlee. "That'a boy," The man perked through thin lips, "You'll find your catch soon, stick to your senses mate." He ended his words with a hard smack to Ketrick's back, and made him choke on his last puff from the smoke pipe before passing it back.

The conversation didn't get much further. It was only a small meeting before the day started, something to calm the mind before jumping into the Shipyard and handling out like savages. And from what Ketrick had seen, all the workers where pretty serious about their duties. He knew that feeling too well. But this couple kept a positive outlook on the situation, and it felt like they where trying to show Ketrick how to carry an uplifting vibe to the hubbub of the docks."There's a good twenty chimes left till I time in, I'm gonna head that way," Ketrick implied with a light tone and a small nod to the side, in direction of the docks. The woman simply smiled with no word, noticeably not ready to leave just yet. Surely the man felt the same, and he was just as easy about it. "I'm sure I'll find you both through the rush of it all." There was no doubt in his head. Ketricks boots shifted in the sand to a turn, heading off to the shipyard in a early start.

Last edited by Ketrick on November 4th, 2013, 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ketrick
Player

Words: 9723
Joined roleplay: June 20th, 2013, 4:58 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ketrick on July 8th, 2013, 5:34 am

The large ships moored down the line as Ketrick walked, in a mass to the shipyard. It was expected that he wouldn't be the first one here, but honestly he wouldn't have assumed there would be a shift before his. Daybreak was only chimes ago. A team of thirty or more men where at a light pace, but they where managing by themselves. This was good, perfect timing to hop to it and get to business. Maybe his day would be good, Ketrick felt pretty upbeat about it.

"Ooie, we got another perty bird perching early too," The husky voice broke off Ketrick's thought, brows furrowing to the older blonde. He had glazed brown eyes and weathered skin that peeked through an open flannel. He was definitely familiar, good buddies with the boys when they where little chidlums. "Ye. Morning to you too, Curtis. Boss man ain't here?"

"He's around somewhere. I'd suggest helping Jade there knock out that rudder. The Keel and Bow are about finished, then as more show up we'll probably start on the skeleton. Copy of the blueprint is laid out on the table, Lad." Curtis was quick with his words and even faster in his steps back to his area sanding down on the Bow. "Ah.. Iye." It was more to himself when he said it, not thinking about it. Curtis had high title, but Ketrick wasn't too sure if he should just wait for the manager to show instead of taking his orders. Then again, he knew there's no excuse to sit around doing nothing when there's definitely enough around to do.

"And how are things going here?" Ketrick mused with a nod at Jade. The boy was a new worker as well, younger than him too. He gave Ketrick little comfort, seeing as he wasn't the only fresh face here."Good, good. It's just starting to come a long, big 'ole chunk of wood." It really was. There was enough room on the over sized carpenter's table for two more workers. Ketrick leaned slightly over, observing what Jade had already covered. He had started at the very tip, some bigger pieces where sawed off to start the angle. From there, he was sanding down the jagged sides. "I think we should start on the end where it will attach," Ketrick paused, eyeing the tools below the table then reached for the saw. "Why d'ya say that?" Jade somewhat had a personality that matched Ketrick's age, though his face showed well that he was still in his teens, trying to make it like everyone else here. His timid blue eyes lit up with concern, easily letting go of the sandpaper. Ketrick's crooked grin shined through and his eyes squinted in little humor. "Well for starters, it'll make it a little easier to size right. See here," Ketrick pulled the blueprint copy closer, underlining the measurements with his index finger. He was never genius about math, but he knew what basics belonged here. "Also, if we do mess up we'll be able to manage and repair with most of the wood still in tact." He was easy with his words, in no means to step on anyone's toes. Jade simply shugged, that smile reaching back to his face. "Sounds like good reason, you mean well."

Ketrick sawed a foot off the two longer edges of the block, avoiding the tip of the fin. He pulled up a piece of wood that looked of a yard stick with small black lines etched across. Lining it up to the block he pressed the lightest imprints along the side in measurements. Jade now had the saw already in hand, keeping up with what Ketrick had planned out.The boy sawed off the backside of the rudder to the first line that was marked. Now it just need to be lined up with the keel, even though there was no way the two of them could carry this large piece by themselves, at least one more worker would be fine. Jade was already off to snag one of the less-busy builders before Ketrick could even look up at him. He cocked sideways in a turn with eyes still on the piece of work, only stumble over the man standing feverishly behind him.

"What have you done here, boy? I didn't assign you to to the rudder." The man had a deep tone, it made Ketrick's spine stiffen. He knew immediately it was the site leader. He scuttled back on his feet with a hand over his face to block out the sun. "Iye sir, I came in early. I didn't know you had men up already, I'd rather help put in some work than stand 'round twiddlin' my thumbs." By this point that hand hovering his face went to the back of his head in a nervous adjustment, eyes lowering to the toes of his boots. He could see jade and the other worker slowly approach from behind the manager.

The man raised brow, then walked around the table. "Why's the fin left like this?" The manager asked. His tone was a little lighter this time. he seemed more curious than disapproved. Jade shifted up to the table before speaking, "I started it that way. Ketrick showed if we start from the other side, it'll be manageable to repair the little incidents."

"Huh, I don't see any real issues here. Who taught you that, Rick?"
By the gods, he despised being called Rick. The manager seemed to be the only man around here interested in calling him that. Any other yard rat taunted him with foolish nicknames, and he took every ounce of it to his benefit. But to keep his ground Ketrick had to bite his tongue. "Just something I caught on watching my father."

"Oh, that is right," The bearded man paused to think about it, the smirk on the paper thin lips barely showed through the thick wiry chin hair. "Quick thinking. I'll send another to take your spot, I need you out on the hull with your team. You'll be startin' on the skeleton."

Ketrick
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ketrick on November 4th, 2013, 11:49 pm

"Hud to ye' Rats! We are on board with the rising sun, lets get this going right and the boss man might let us out for early drinks!" The older lad scoffed out in a desperate catch of breathe while balancing on the dock's one of many pilings. Ketrick could only assume he would be Boatswain for the process of this ship. By the way he was acting you would think he had snuck a few drinks in the wee dark of the morning.

"That's your call boy, I'll be checkin' on ya from time to time," The manager left Ketrick with a pat on the shoulder and he filed his way into the shop building with the crew. The size of the building was completely massive, spacious but felt empty with how much room there was to bear. This is where the pieces would be put in form, starting with the stem and keel and build up the bilge. The men gathered up wood blocks and beams. Some carried off to the left of the room to carve down their fitting shapes, while Ketrick stayed in rear with the other half of the crew to build the already fitted pieces onto the stem.

It was all hammer and nails from here on out, possibly a saw here and there. But that was what Ketrick assumed would manage. It looked like what would be a ribcage of a boat. Ketrick marked out another plank, sawing off one edge then sanded it down as the wedge shaped into a slight point. From there he applied it to the center of the keel with a few carpenter nails. He did this again in repeat for the next nine planks of wood.

Four bells had passed with 54 workers on the same skeleton, and the bottom rig of the ship was slowly starting to fill in. A couple men had brought in the rolling staircases to hover over the remaining of the bilge. Next came wider boards, and a jigged up 12 yard plank. Ketrick knew well enough what was to come next. They layered the wider boards along the plank and nailed them in. This was to be used as a balancing beam to build the mainmast onto the keel, meaning a few of them would be acting out the walking trapeze just to get the piece in there. five of them being strapped in by a rope just to be lowered inside and stable out mainmast and set it even before attaching it.

"This looks like a real struggle," Ketrick mused biting int his lower lip in thought. The Boatswain caught Ketrick's undertone and grinned, nudging the him with an elbow. "Iye indeed, that'll be you we lower into the bilge. Test your strengths mate." Ketrick nodded with a lingering smirk even though he didn't really agree with it. He was good with carpenter work, it doesn't matter what place he is in. It was more so the thought of trusting these guys to actually get him in there smoothly without harming what was made of the skeleton. "I can handle that, ye." Whatever it takes. That is Ketrick's business. There was no reason for him to deny it.

Ketrick
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ketrick on November 13th, 2013, 9:24 pm

Four men where lowered in, Ketrick being one of the strugglers down. The couple from this morning where at the other end of the rope lowering him inside, giving him a little bit of trouble landing. He brushed himself off after a small stumble and pushed his bitterness aside, helping the other few out of the strapped ropes.

Ladders where lifted in next with three other men stabling themselves along the steps. The mainmast was next to be lowered and he was quite nervous of how this would all work out. The top crew where steady along the small bridge, the giant log of wood inching its way inward of the bilge. The ladder men where quick to gather their ropes, two tying a knot around to help hold the weight of the post while lowering it down. the other straddled the rope around for a straighter balance.

"Boy, the steel plates are laid out for you there," The gray bearded man nodded to the center floor of the bilge, pulling out the bolts and nuts in his carpenter's belt and a wrench. "Get to work on tightening it, make sure the bolts are in right. We can only hold the mast down for so long, you'll need to set it on that steel straight." Ketrick was sparsely surprised and hasted to the center. The plates where lighter than he thought, bolting them to the floor wasn't much of a hassle.

Trying to lower the post down right was harder to contemplate, Ketrick was struggling to get a good grip on the rope and handle the mast on straight. He gathered closer on the rope, holding some of the weight with the crew. "Easy now, about there," Forgetting to watch his place of step as he angled the post lower by inch, by the time the post was set the pressure of his foot grew stronger and he pulled it out by the last second. The mast was still set straight to his luck, and his foot was still decent. It only hurt to put his full weight on it.

Ketrick lowered to his knees with a wince, and attached the guard plate to the mast. "What's wrong with you boy? Ain't getting dizzy now are ya?" The old man perched beside with more bolts. "Na, got my foot caught under but it's fine. I'll soak it out later."

The old man chuckled with a shake of his head. "Boy, you won't get very far if ya don't speak up. People gettin' ya down, ya need a little help it don't matter." Ketrick only lifted a brow, a small grin following after and nodded in agreement. "I understand, ye. I'm just getting comfortable is all. Trying to find my place."

"Well keep to it, you're here. Take the ladder up, tell Jones your taking ten out for a limp and a smoke. He'll spot for you while you take his work on the shell." He gave Ketrick a knock on the shoulder and turned back to the mast. He wasn't denying that the man was right, merely happy with the fact he's somewhat helpful for a beginner and not tripping over everyone else. He gathered up his gear and made way out the bilge."Will do, thanks."

Ketrick
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Taylani on November 23rd, 2013, 8:46 pm

XP Award!

Ketrick:

XP Award:
  • +2 socialization
  • +1 observation
  • +3 carpentry
  • +2 ship building

Lore:
  • Working for one’s title, nothing is given easily
  • Measuring carefully to avoid cutting wrong

Notes: These are comments.
Comments :
Feel free to pm me with grade concerns. Don’t forget to edit/delete your Grade request.

TAYLANI
Taylani
Captivated

Words: 541241
Joined roleplay: September 7th, 2013, 4:41 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)