[Flashback] Along Our Travels... (Pythius)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Postby Kegan Emrick on August 5th, 2010, 2:56 am

Timestamp:
Date: 20th of Spring, 510 AV
Tag: Pythius Xiuhcoatl

Kegan's trek from Riverfall had taken him to many wild and untamed places so he was happy to be in a place that was civilized for a while. He felt as though he could breathe a sigh of relief. No more having to lay awake at night worried for the safety of Arnett and himself. Arnett was Kegan's trusted companion, his big white Manitora. Manitoras were dogs that were usually bred for sledding up in Denval and Avanthal. Kegan felt bad that his companion had never really gotten to see the snow. He meant to some how get up to the snowier lands someday but the only problem was getting there. Kegan had to do everything on foot. Yes, he had the funds to get a horse but he did not feel comfortable being so high up and away from Arnett. To him Arnett was a brother, not a pet. He would not dare to ever think that he owned Arnett. Arnett could leave when ever he wanted, he did not even wear a collar. Arnett chose to stay and for that reason alone Kegan would never say Arnett was his dog. Arnett was his companion or his brother, never his pet.

Kegan and Arnett walked together through Zeltiva. It was a calm day in the usually bustling city. The boats were floating in the harbor and shopkeepers were yelling at customers. Ah, civilization at it's finest. Kegan smiled at the great town and ruffled Arnett's fur. He panted and jumped up on Kegan's chest. His big white paws never seemed to get any lighter as their time went on together. Kegan playfully pushed the big white dog off of his chest so he could catch his breath. Arnett continued to skip around like a young pup lowering the front of his body to the pier but leaving his backside up in the air, tail wagging fiercely. "Arnett my brother, one day those big paws of yours are going to kill me and you and I both know you could not live a day on your own you big fuzzball. I would be dead and where would you be brother?" Arnett's hindside plopped down on the pier and his ears folded down on top of his head. He let out a long sad whine and looked up at Kegan with his big brown eyes. Kegan sighed and sat down next to Arnett. The dog was so protective of him. Kegan would die for Arnett though and he knew the big ball of fluff would do the same for him. "Don't worry Arnett, I am strong. Your ol' big monsters of paws can't hurt me." Arnett let out a happy little bark and drenched Kegan's face with kisses from his big pink tongue. Kegan laughed and pushed his dog back. He appreciated the love but he needed to breathe. When Kegan could see again after wiping the dog slobber from his face he could see some people were starting to stare. Kegan grabbed Arnett by the side and pulled him in close. The action startled Arnett a bit and let out a yip and started to nip at Kegan's sleeve. "This man here is my brother, there is nothing wrong with a man and his brother sitting on a dock together talking." Kegan was a little odd but he didn't mind. All he needed was his canine brother and the open road and he would be satisfied.
Kegan Emrick
Wandering Nature Lover

Words: 17143
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2010, 5:54 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Pythius Xiuhcoatl on August 5th, 2010, 3:23 am

Pythius sat alone on the river shore, watching the boats gently ease into the docks. It was a thankfully warm day, and unsusually calm for the bustling town. He'd been here a few days, hoping the ceaseless comotion would distraact him from his emotions.But an aura of peace settled into his bones, something that he'd not felt in his three weeks since leaving his nest, and all he knew, behind. He had been conflicted the whole time since his dishonorable leave, wondering weather he had made the right choice at all.
A fleeting thought fazed him, he was hungry, but he was learning to control his instinct driven nature to snap at anything, and everything, that moved. Starvation seemed a just price in retribution for murder. He refused to become the stereotype of 'walking stomach' he would rather be a walking contradiction.
Focusing instead on the townsfolk to distract him, he noticed the usual array of people. The locals he'd come to recognize, some of which had tried to approach him and were harshly asked to leave him alone and thuroughly frightened when they realized he was Dhani. He didn't let the reactions faze him, he was used to social rejection.
There were shopkeepers, their yelling becoming a comforting background noise, and a wide array of travelers of all different races. From his vantage point, Pythius could see a slowing and congealing of the flow of the townsfolk as they walked, signaling there was something interesting to behold. In his boredom and desperation for distraction, Pythius got up and walked over to see what was earning the sideways glances.
There was a young man and a fluffy white dog sitting close to one another, the man was talking to a stranger. Pythius just stood there for a moment taking in the odd display of the man talking to the dog, wondering what was going on.
Pythius Xiuhcoatl
Player

Words: 5535
Joined roleplay: July 23rd, 2010, 3:41 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet

Postby Kegan Emrick on August 5th, 2010, 4:35 am

Past the crowd Kegan could see a lone person standing just outside the crowd. He was different than the people he was used to. He looked somewhat human but something told him that his guy wasn't. He had sparked Kegan's interest though and for that reason Kegan was going to go talk to the stranger. Kegan had grown up in Riverfall and growing up there he spent a lot of time around the great race of the akalak. If he could talk to those intimidating warriors he could talk to anyone. Okay, maybe not a zith but a man had to have his boundries. Kegan was not one for getting eaten alive or enslaved by a flying creature. That was beside the point though. He had a person to go make a friend out of. 

Kegan got up and patted his leg. "Come on Arnett, we have a new friend to meet." Arnett looked around as if he was looking for this so called friend but got up reguardless. Kegan turned around to face the people who had been staring at him and Arnett. "The show is over, get back to tending sheep or whatever you do." He turned in the direction of the guy in the distance. A man called out behind him. "You better not be thinking of talking to that man over there. You are obviously crazy but one would think you would not be crazy enough to walk over to a Dhani. You know how they can be." The man looked at him with a sense of disgust toward Kegan for even thinking of talking to the Dhani. Kegan knew all about the Dhani race but he wanted to see how far his could push this man. "No, what do they do?" He gave the man a devilish look. The man looked apalled. "He will eat you for his next meal you stupid child." Kegan flashed him a smile. "What is it you do sir?" He asked with a polite tone. The man looked around as if he was no sure whether or not to tell him. "I raise horses. Frostmarches in particular." Kegan got up close to the man and poked his finger into his chest. "I bet you your best horse that I can talk to him and he won't hurt me. I win I get a horse. You win, I'm dead and you owe no one a horse." The man let out slow nod and then Kegan was off with Arnett right at his heels.

Kegan walked up to the guy and saw that his predictions were right, this man was a Dhani. He could tell by the scales and his eyes. Kegan felt Arnett press up against his leg. Kegan offered the man a smile "Hey, I'm Kegan. I couldn't help but notice you were standing here looking at my brother and I here on the dock. What's your name stranger?" Kegan tried not to let his smile falter. He was a little bit scared. This guy was a lot more intimadating up close. Kegan looked down at Arnett who's ears were once again pressed against his head. This time not in playfulness but in fear. "This is my brother and companion Arnett. Say hi bro." He nudged Arnett with his knee and the dog let out a low growl and whipped his tail. "Wow, some people can be so extremely rude, Arnett." He glared down at his furry friend and Arnett answered with a small bark. Arnett really disliked Kegan's wild personality getting him into situations like this.
Kegan Emrick
Wandering Nature Lover

Character sheet

Postby Pythius Xiuhcoatl on August 5th, 2010, 5:02 am

Pythius watched in slight horror as the man looked him in the eyes, apparently with full intention of greeting him. Cheerful strangers didn't mix well with his usual attitude, and the spring in the step of this intresting specimen was enough to deterr him from the start. But the man and the fluffy dong came waltzing on over to him, smiling like a beam of sunshine.
When they were face to face, Pythious couldn't help but notice the hint of fear behind those eyes, dispite the stranger's attempt to be friendly, he obviously was uncomfortable with him being a Dhani. Looking over the man's shoulder was a local townsman, standing with his arms crossed, analyzing the situation.
"Hey, I'm Kegan. I couldn't help but notice you were standing here looking at my brother and I here on the dock. What's your name, stranger?" he asked in a kind tone. Pythious didn't answer, resorting to his usual adverioun tactic of ingoring the offending converstaionalist. He looked down at the dog, who had pressed himself against the man, sensing danger for both their lives. "This is my brother and companion Arnett, say hi bro," the man nudged the dog, who didn't seem all to thrilled about Pythious. He growled in response and whipped his tail swiftly. "Wow, some people can be so extreemly rude, Arnettte" said the man, emphasizing the ill manners of the dog. This man was obviously dillusional. Pythious wondered if now was a good time to cut his losses and walk away without a word returned to the man, but seeing the eager, expecting eyes of the man, decided he wouldn't leave Pythious alone until he gave him his name and some sort of further acknowledgement.
Looking at the man straight in the eyes, Pythious answered, "My name isss Pythiousss and I'd like for you to kindly leave me alone," The man looked somehow fazed, be it the speech or the warning. But it didn't seem to pythious as though the man was intending on leaving him alone. Quite the opposite. It would pose to be an interesting situation, seeing as no one had ever ignored his requests to be left alone before.
Pythious had never dealt with someone so eager to make his aquaintance, either the boy had experience with Dhani before, or he was extrodrinarily stuipid.
Pythius Xiuhcoatl
Player

Character sheet

Postby Kegan Emrick on August 5th, 2010, 5:35 am

The man introduced himself as Pythius. It was a common enough name for a Dhani. The man also had the common speech of his kind. He dragged out his s's. Kegan concitered joking about the man's speak but when he kindly told him to go away and leave him alone Kegan took that as a sure sign that this man was not one to joke with. He was a challange though and Kegan loved challanges. He was a different challange than he was used to though. Kegan usually ran into issues of people wanting him to leave them alone, especially straight men. Kegan didn't care to much though. He was going to have fun while he could and love every moment of it. If a straight man had an issue with him flirting with him then it was that man's problem not his. At least he liked to think that when be was starting to feel guilty about hitting on people. He always stopped if the man told him that he didn't appreciate the flirting. He wasn't a creep. He just liked the challange of it all. What was life without challange? 

Kegan smiled at the Dhani. "No can do my reptilian friend. You see, I got a bet with those guys over there. They say that I cannot get through a convorsation with out without you hurting me. I believe the opposite. I think you are just like Arnett here. He could bite, he could scratch, and he could bark but he doesn't. I think you are the same way. We all have our primal instincts. I do, Arnett does, even Mr. Fancyass horse breeder over there does. I'm putting my life on the line to show that you are not a cold blooded monster like they say you are. Don't prove me wrong Pythius." he said with the same devilish smile he gave the horse farmer. He was not scared anymore. He knew where he stood with the serpentesque man. Arnett could feel it too. Kegan saw him lose tension a little bit. He sat down at Kegan's feet and swished his furry white tail back and forth. "For the love of Caiyha, Arnett you are going to get your tail full of dead leaves and dirt. If I've told you once I havetold you a thousand times, you are a white dog and white dogs get dirty very easily. Just because we are at a harbor does not mean I can go and give you a stinkin bath." Arnett crouched down his a playful stance and wagged his tail. He let out a small growl and then a woof. Kegan glared at Arnett. "Furball, I am trying to talk buisness here. You wanna be stupid? Go be stupid somewhere else." All of the yelling and name calling at Arnett's dispence was all in the spirit of play and Arnett knew that. Kegan was not sure if his new friend knew that though. Most people thought Kegan was a little bit crazy and maybe he was but he was raised side by side with animals and he truely did not see anything strange about his behavior. Kegan looked back at Pythius "Excuse my brother, he can be so immature at times. I'm sure you must know about that right? You Dhani have big families correct?" Kegan may have been being extremely blunt but I worked for him. In his mind idle chit chat and beating around the bush were a waste of precious time.
Kegan Emrick
Wandering Nature Lover

Character sheet

Postby Pythius Xiuhcoatl on August 6th, 2010, 2:18 am

After Pythious tried making it known that he wanted nothing to do with Kegan and his fluffy brother Arnett, Kegan revealed his true intentions of making conversation with a dangerious predator. "No can do my reptilian friend. You see, I got a bet with those guys over there. They say that I cannot get through a convorsation with out without you hurting me. I believe the opposite. I think you are just like Arnett here. He could bite, he could scratch, and he could bark but he doesn't. I think you are the same way. We all have our primal instincts. I do, Arnett does, even Mr. Fancyass horse breeder over there does. I'm putting my life on the line to show that you are not a cold blooded monster like they say you are. Don't prove me wrong Pythius." It was a challenging voice he used, and the smile on his face was nothing less of sadistic though his voice remaned friendily, the way Kegan held himself made Pythius believe that he was a man used to getting waht he wanted with a little manipulation. But there didn't seem to be a harmful intent behind his actions, only proving a point, and a point that Pythius figured he should be thankful was being proven.
It had become apparent to Pythius that the two were no longer afraid of him when Arnett started to relax and sat at Kegan's feet, swishing his tail. An action that Kegan apparently didn't approve of. "For the love of Caiyha, Arnett you are going to get your tail full of dead leaves and dirt. If I've told you once I havetold you a thousand times, you are a white dog and white dogs get dirty very easily. Just because we are at a harbor does not mean I can go and give you a stinkin bath." Kegan reprimanded. But the dog lept playfully and let out a few non-threatened noises. "Furball, I am trying to talk buisness here. You wanna be stupid? Go be stupid somewhere else." Kegan said to the dog. Pythius was a little disturbed by the display, wondering how the human had gotten so mixed up in the head. the boy was obviously derranged and interacted with the dog as if he were human himself. Kegan noticed that Pythius's attention was turned on the two of them and saw it fit to appologize. "Excuse my brother, he can be so immature at times. I'm sure you must know about that right? You Dhani have big families correct?" Kegan asked. The bluntness of the question struck Pythius unexpectedly, his face twisted up into a line of discomfort. He knew that it was odd to see a Dhani on his own, and no where near his nest being such family-oriented creatures. This stranger obviously wanted to know why he was alone. Being as private as he was Pythius's initial instinct was to reject the statement and take it as an insult to him. "Yessss they do typically," Pythious spat, he waited for a moment, staring at the ground under his feet before decided to add, " I belonged to a family of eight, why issss thisss any of your concern?" Pythius asked harshly, wanted him to get the message and not pry any further. He wasn't expecting Kegan to back off though, Kegan had asked the initial question with intent to find out why he was alone, and dispite Pythius's unwillingness to talk to him, he had a feeling that Kegan would worm out of him what he wanted to know in the end.
Last edited by Pythius Xiuhcoatl on August 10th, 2010, 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pythius Xiuhcoatl
Player

Character sheet

Postby Kegan Emrick on August 6th, 2010, 3:57 am

The Dhani was not responding well to any of Kegan's proding. He was going to get this solidary man to talk, he always did. Pythius did release the fact that he did have quite the big family. Kegan smiled at that. He wanted to know why Kellan was concered with his family. "With all due respect, I could care less about your family. I'm just trying to make small talk with you mister antisocial." He came from white the big family himself. "I come from a big family myself. Two brothers and three sisters. I'm somewhere in the middle in terms of age. Arnett is my third brother of course. He is adopted though. Strange because we look so much alike right?" Kegan was joking but he truely did feel a kinship towards the big ball of white fur. 

Arnett looked over at Pythius and cocked his head. This man was certinly an enigma to him. He looked like a human but he smelled like a snake. He was not sure what to make of that. He padded over to Pythius with his tail wagging and tounge lolling out. Kegan looked down at Arnett who was approaching Pythuis and smiled. "Awwww, Arnett likes you. He is such a cuirious little guy." Kegan knew that his dog's intrusion of the Dhani's personal space was bothering him. He didn't seem like a dog guy. Truthfully he didn't seem to be any type of guy. He didn't seem to like anyone or anything. 

Arnett made his way over to Pythuis and circled around him. He was sniffing out every inch of this strange man that he could. He wanted to make sure it was safe for Kegan to be around him. Arnett did a very presice job of sniffing Pythuis. At one point a little too preside and he felt a sneeze building up in his nose. He sat down and pawed at his black nose. It was futile though and he let out a sneeze all over Pythuis's pant leg. "Bless you Arnett." he said with no concern to fact his dog just sneezed all over a stranger's leg.

After a while of checking him out Arnett had decided that Pythuis was okay. The strong Dhani scent had left him due to the fact he left home. Arnett gave Pythuis a small bark and jumped up onto his chest, tail wagging like crazy. His big white paw were pressed against Pythius's chest and he barked again and wagged his tail. He wanted to show how much he liked his new snake friend. He started to lick Pythius's face vigorusly. Kegan couldn't help but laugh. He pulled Arnett off of him though. "Woah Arnett, at least buy him dinner first." Arnett sat down on the ground defeated and let out another sneeze. Kegan looked at Pythius and smiled. "He must be allergic to snakes."
Kegan Emrick
Wandering Nature Lover

Character sheet

Postby Pythius Xiuhcoatl on August 10th, 2010, 2:12 am

Kegan oh so elequently informed Pythius that he didn't care about anything he had to Say, and the blunt honesty earned him some respect in Pythius’s mind, he didn’t like when people didn’t say what they mean or mean what they say. It was just a vicious cycle in the end. Kegan then proceeded to inform Pythius of things that he didn’t care to know, filling his head with useless drabble about his home life. Home life was a subject quarantined by his mind, the infection already there was contained, and all new infections thoughts concerning home life was extinguished at first sign of it.
Throughout the two’s aimless drabble, Arnette had taken to examining Pythius. Pythius didn’t enjoy the action in the least. Snakes didn’t typically like other animals poking at them. When animals poked at them they got scared, and when they got scared they struck with intent of venomous wrath. But for some reason, the puffy, fluffy dandelion of a dog had come to terms with Pythius’s prescence and was working on figuring out what was wrong with his scent. Something irritated the beast’s sensitive nose in the process and the thing ended up sneezing on Pythius’s pantleg.

He inwardly groaned at the thought of having to scrub the pants with river water again. They were already becoming worn and he hadn’t any money to his name.
At the dog’s spraying display, Kegan muttered his blessings with no concern for Pythius, more content in watching his ‘brother’ sniff about. Pythius didn’t enjoy the dog’s analysis, snakes by nature didn’t enjoy other animals poking at them, in fear they always recoiled from potential threats and only struck when death seemed eminent. Though Pythius knew his was in no danger with Arnette, he felt invaded by the beast.
Arnette eventually decided that Pythius was okay, and would do no harm to him or his master and befriended Pythius. He lept onto Pythius’s chest in a gleeful leap and started licking his face. Pythius didn’t react at first, due to shock as the pink tongue left ample amounts of slobber in it’s wake. Pythius recovered and dead lifted the heavy dog off of his chest, setting him on the ground and wiping his face disgustedly. Arnette let out another sneeze but shook it off and let his tongue hang out lopsidedly. “He must be allergic to snakes,” Kegan assessed playfully. Pythius found no humor in the situation. The dog was most likely allergic to the pollen he’d gotten on his clothing and hair from laying in a meadow that morning, but Pythius didn’t say anything in reply.
Pythius pulled himself off the ground and shook the dirt off his shirt. He looked at the dog and sighed at the happy looking mongrel. He was friendly, as was Kegan, it was their nature and it was obvious that nothing Pythius did would change their urge to be social so he decided to throw away resentment for the two travelers and relinquish at his attempts to scare them off. Pythius looked to Kegan who looked a little apologetic, but mostly amused, and back to Arnette. Pythius decided to place his hand on the dog’s fluffy head and pet him softly. “I admire your brothersss lack of inhibition,” Pythius commented. “Tell me strangersss, where isss it that you are headed?” Pythius asked in a deadbeat voice. He wasn’t good at being friendly or perky, but he was genuinely interested in where the two were going. Pythius needed to get himself to a new set of sceneries and depending on the direction they were headed, Pythius might make up his mind to go too, weather a few days behind them or not.
Pythius Xiuhcoatl
Player

Character sheet

Postby Kegan Emrick on August 11th, 2010, 12:42 am

It surprised Kegan to see Pythuis pet Arnett's head. He did not think he would see any softer emotions from him. Arnett welcomed the man's touch though and wagged his tail eagerly. Arnett was truly the worlds best ice breaker. As Pythius pet the white dog he asked Kegan about his travels. He was surprised that a man who a moment ago wanted nothing to do with him now was asking about his traveling plans. "Arnett and I want to make it up to the worth at some point. Of course, getting home to Riverfall someday would also be nice." He was not sure if telling this Dhani his traveling plans was a good idea. Yes, Zeltiva was a safe town in comparison to other places but who knew what Pythius would do past the city gates? "Where are you headed man? I mean it is not every day that a guy gets to see a Dhani so far from his nest. I may not be the most informed guy but I do know that a Dhani rarely leaves home." Maybe this prodding at Pythius's personal life was not a good idea. Kegan never seemed to worry about the words that exited his mouth until he actually said them. It was a bad habit to have but it was a habit just the same. Kegan had always been the more... reckless of the Emrick children. His older brother Keeland had smacked him around a good amount of times for being so careless.

Kegan shook his head and tried to push the thoughts of his brother away. He knew that if he thought about his family he would want, no, need to go home. He was very close to his family. The Emrick's were always a very tight-nit family. He wondered about Pythius. Was his family like that. Dhani were supposed to be very close with their families. He did not seem to be the kind to be a family man though.

Kegan could not help but notice that Arnett was once again sniffing at Pythius. Arnett was a very curious dog. Sometimes too curious but he never seemed to sniff at anything this long unless he was hunting or something smelled extremely good. "What are you sniffing about you weirdo?" He looked down at Arnett and Arnett barked back. Kegan leaned forward and smelled Pythius. He smelled like flowers. That was not a smell any man should have in Kegan's opinion, especially if that man was Dhani. Kegan turned his blue eyes on Pythius's face without leaning back up. "Interesting smell for a male Dhani. I didn't take you for a fruit mister Pythius." He was joking around of course. He meant no harm to the man. Kegan gave Pythius a big wolfy smile. "I don't mind of course, the best of us are."
Kegan Emrick
Wandering Nature Lover

Character sheet