PM to join Midnight Stroll (Halin'a)

When two people collide.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Midnight Stroll (Halin'a)

Postby Ella Wakefield on December 1st, 2013, 7:10 pm

Winter 5th, 15 chimes before the 12th bell, 513 A.V.

Ella looked up from her book to see Leth peak in the night sky. The crescent moon lit up the night sky like a candle's flame, the cloudless sky making it clear for all to see. She emerged from her little nook in the Quill's Nest, her father's book still in hand, and began to walk from the nearly empty establishment, careful not to disturb the few others who had remained.

Normally, she would stay for a bit longer, but one of her classes was starting unusually early tomorrow and the black-haired girl didn't want to pass out during class. Walking down the city path, Ella opened her book again, sticking her nose into the book to reread the familiar lines of Djed and her fathers' little notes.

Ella Wakefield
Just an ordinary mage.

Words: 6018
Joined roleplay: November 30th, 2013, 10:18 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Halin'a on December 1st, 2013, 7:32 pm

Halin'a was walking down the street, glancing up every so often to gaze at Leth. This wasn't one of those nights, the nights when he was consumed by melancholy for all that he had lost; no, this was one of the nights when he was glad for a chance at a new life, glad to experience this new world, so different from the one he last remembered.

"Oomph!" The Ethaefal grunted as someone walked straight into him; or rather, they walked into each other, as neither of them had been paying attention. Halin'a automatically reached out to steady the other person-- a young woman, who had been reading a book, it looked like-- already apologising. "I'm sorry, I should have been looking where I was going! Are you all right?"
Avatar by me; based off of this picture
Halin'a
Player

Words: 65334
Joined roleplay: November 29th, 2013, 7:23 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Ella Wakefield on December 1st, 2013, 9:27 pm

The unexpected collison stunned Ella for a tick, causing the book to fall out of her hands. In fact, the only reason she hadn't just toppled over was because of the stranger's hand reaching out to steady her. Her cheeks flushed a rosy pink from the embarrassment, forcing herself to look up and see the stranger in the eye. It was this that caused her to gasp in surprise.

From the books she had read in the library as a child, Ella had always seen pictures and vivid tales of strange men and women with brilliant horns, but only brief paragraphs on what they actually were. The thing that interested her most about them was that they were Syna and Leth's fallen... their ethereal form only showing when their patron god/ddess was in the sky. This did not prepare her for the awe of meeting one in person.

His almost translecent white hair shone against the elegant crown of his inky black horns. The Ethaefal was truly astounding, and it was the shock of meeting one in person that left her speechless.

Finally, after a few chimes, Ella managed to choke out a few words. "S-sorry for bumping into y-you..."
Ella Wakefield
Just an ordinary mage.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Halin'a on December 1st, 2013, 10:27 pm

Halin'a smiled in amusement at her stuttering. "It's quite all right," he assured her, carefully releasing her arms. "I wasn't watching where I was going, either." He noted her slightly-unruly hair, and that she was much, much shorter than he, but what stuck with him were her eyes. A dusky blue-grey, they reminded him of that time in the morning when Leth's light was just beginning to give way to Syna's, but the transition was caught by clouds.

"I'm sorry," he repeated. "I'm forgetting my manners; I'm Halin'a. What's your name?"
Halin'a
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Ella Wakefield on December 3rd, 2013, 1:22 am

The brief amount of eye contact that Ella sustained was enough to get a good look at his bright violet eyes. His entire body radiated an unearthly glow, especially under Leth's light, serving only to accent the stunning darkness of his eyes and horns. It was this that stunned her for another half a tick, only to realize that Halin'a had asked her for her name.

"M-my name's Ella. It's nice to meet you... you're a..." She began to say, only to mumble off. The name of his race was on the tip of her tongue, but it had been a long time since she had last read one of the few books documenting Ethafael.

It didn't help that Ella's awkwardness began to settle in. She began to shift away from him slightly, rubbing her arm nervously. Her eyes drifted towards the ground, looking at his shoes, before she realized how rude it must have looked and looked up at his face again, her face still flushed from the collision.
Ella Wakefield
Just an ordinary mage.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Halin'a on December 3rd, 2013, 1:39 am

Halin'a softened his expression, noting the girl's-- Ella's-- discomfort. "I am an Ethaefal; specifically, I am a son of Leth," he supplied, holding out a hand for her to shake.

Halin'a noted that the night was cold, and he offered Ella an engaging smile. "Would you care to join me for a hot drink?" he invited. "The night cold must be getting to you." He didn't mention that he did not feel the cold as others did; the night would need to reach temperatures far lower than this to affect him.
Halin'a
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Ella Wakefield on December 3rd, 2013, 6:15 am

"Ah! Yes, that's right..." Ella stared at his hand for a brief second before outstretching her own, grabbing his hand and weakly shaking for a second before letting go. "You look too handsome to be of this earth..." While her face was still flushed, there was no hint of flirting or romantic interest in her words, only nervously saying things in a matter-of-fact tone.

When the offer of a hot drink was mentioned, the girl instinctively checked what she had. A handful of gold mizas was snugly placed in her left boot, a little more than needed. Actually following up on him, however, was another story. "That sounds good..." Instead of leading him or motioning for him to go, Ella simply stared up at him. This was the first time anybody outside of immediate family had offered to go do something, especially someone much taller than her, and it was beginning to show in the nervousness of her actions.

She began biting one of her nails, the stubby little things barely hanging on as they were. Lately, Ella had been meaning to ween off nail biting by hiding her hands whenever she caught herself doing so, but the state of nervousness and awe had rendered all previous thoughts of improvement useless. Exposed to the cool winter air, the tips of her fingers began to grow numb, further increasing her nail biting.

If Halin'a began to move, Ella would quickly follow him, going to his side but falling slightly behind, her hands shifting around from nail biting to trying to keep warm.

Ella Wakefield
Just an ordinary mage.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Halin'a on December 3rd, 2013, 1:18 pm

Halin'a grinned. "Thanks," he said, in response to the compliment. Noting how Ella just stood there, biting her nails, he offered her his arm. "Something to keep your hand away from your teeth; it seems like that would hurt if you bit your nails any more," he explained, his voice containing only sympathy, not a trace of mockery or teasing to be found; he understood all too well the feeling of being nervous in another's company, for he had found himself in that position many times in his first season in Syliras.

He led the way to a small streetside shop selling hot tea and cocoa, handing over two gold mizas for a cup of tea and waiting for Ella to make her order. He found himself curious about this girl, who had an interest in the Ethaefal that seemed to stem from something other than just his looks.
Halin'a
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Ella Wakefield on December 4th, 2013, 2:14 am

Ella shook her head, declining the offer of the arm. Instead, she moved her hands to her side, resisting the urge to bite her nails again. While it certainly was a nice offer, her shyness as well as the lateness of the night made her hesitant to have more contact than necessary.

When he went over to the streetside shop, Ella followed closely behind, dropping two mizas for the woman and motioned to the tea. As it was being poured, the late teen looked at Halin'a with a questioning look. What could she ask him? Should she ask him about his life? After pondering it for a few ticks, she grabbed the mug of kelp tea and opened her mouth to speak.

"So how did you fall?" Ella said, then immediately sipped some tea when she realized how blunt and rude the question must have sounded. She looked down into her mug of tea, avoiding eye contact after the awkward question.
Ella Wakefield
Just an ordinary mage.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Halin'a on December 4th, 2013, 1:15 pm

Halin'a smiled at Ella's shy demeanor; it was rather charming. "I slipped through one of the cracks in Leth's domain," he told her, sipping on his own tea. "I was walking, admiring Leth's home as I always had since he had brought me there, and didn't notice the crack-- it was barely big enough to allow me through. I fell fifty-six years ago; I lived in Syliras, as I fell just off the coast there."

The human and the Ethaefal had continued walking while they communed, and Halin'a reflected that so far, he liked Zeltiva. He honestly hadn't expected to feel so at home, so fast-- he was an Ethaefal; they didn't usually feel at home.
Halin'a
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Next