Flashback Returning to the Grave

Neyasi returns to the grave of an old friend, and encounters someone unexpected. (Raien Ironarm)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The vast mountain range of Kalea is home of secret valleys, dead-end canyons, and passes that lead to places long forgotten or yet to be discovered.

Returning to the Grave

Postby Neyasi Tillandsia on January 21st, 2014, 2:11 am

20 of the Day, Fall of 511 A.V.
The Unforgiving

The wind whistled between the mountainous peaks, the ghostly sound echoing through the long-dry rivers and the immense gullies. The overcast was grey and gloomy. It fit the mood almost too perfectly. A lone, black-clad figure made her way down the sharp-cut, winding path traversing down the side of one such gully, silken black cloak raised to cover mouth and nose, the ruby-red eyes that were normally so blank and hard, now were filled with an immense sadness that bypassed any and all words.

Neyasi Tillandsia raised her head for a moment, glancing up as an eagle passed overhead, letting out a shrill cry. As the bird passed out of sight, the cry disappearing into the depths of the gully, there was only silence, aside from the soft footsteps of the Symenestra, as she made her way down to the bottom of the gully, numb to the world around her, intent only on what lay at the bottom. It pained her to even think about it.

As Neyasi reached the bottom, she pulled the cloak away from her mouth and nose, stopping, to look across the way, at the tall, smooth white stone that marked the place. Neyasi slowly moved forward, silken cloak whispering softly against the rocky soil, as she approached the stone. She came to a stop before the foot of the stone, and proceeded to fall to her knees, the sharp pain of the collision on her frail Symenestra bones dulled by her steadily-growing grief.

Neyasi slowly reached out with one pale, long-fingered, black-nailed hand, laying it on a slight bump in the soil, hardly noticeable, palm-down, and bowing her head, the ebony waves pulled behind her face at last working themselves free, coming down to shield her face, as she allowed herself to be swept into a path of bitter-sweet memories that had long been buried. "It was all my fault..." She spoke softly, the words barely escaping her reddish lips.

"I could have saved you... But I ran. And I let you die." Neyasi gave her head a slight shake, more of a gesture of grief than anything else. "It's been so hard, without you. I don't even know if I'm just talking to myself. But I walk alone. I eat alone. In the end." She spoke so softly, it was almost impossible to distinguish her words from the rapidly-rising wind. She gave a slight, pained smile.

"You wouldn't believe the sights I've seen, the paths I've walked... The people I've met. I've met good people, Vordinan. Truly. But they never come with me. Not like you did." Neyasi bent her head lower. One could safely assume that she was speaking to the unmarked grave of someone who had passed from this realm of existence, such was the grievous manner of her body, mind, and soul.
Neyasi Tillandsia
Watch out for the spider on the wall...

Words: 43410
Joined roleplay: January 9th, 2014, 12:52 am
Blog: View Blog (4)
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Returning to the Grave

Postby Raien Ironarm Pitrius on January 21st, 2014, 7:30 pm

Raien stumbled his way through another set of nearly identical paths and gullies. His camp was now but a memory, lost to him hours ago. It all started with one trail and then another. Looking for anything familiar, and seeing something that seemed to fit the bill. Though apparently every time he found such a thing to look upon it turned out to either be a false lead, or just something he had seen following other false leads. All in all, Raien found nothing save utter loneliness and more and more mist. The fact that it seemed to be the most dismal day of the year aided him in absolutely no way when it came to navigation.

More than once had he broken down and prayed to Yahal begging for help, asking for some true tangible sign. These were as much acts of faith as desperation, and overall yielded absolutely no results other than Raien's surmounting whirlwind of feelings including fear, anger, desperation, and just plain exhaustion.

This was one of the instances in which Raien found himself doubting the winged god. He'd never seen Yahal, he believed he'd hear his whispers but even those could have been a product of his own hyperactive mind. And Raien found himself thinking, if his god was truly there wouldn't he help him, or at least give some minor assistance, it wouldn't take much.

Of course he was assaulted by regret for even thinking in such ways nearly right after said thoughts crossed his exhausted mind. He just wanted a way out. Though giving up on the god of faith would hardly garner his attention, at least in a positive way. Raien stopped leaning himself against a tree.

"Yahal, I've questioned you one too many times and it has been but a day. I ask that you ignore my previous requests for assistance. I hardly deserve it." Raien stopped hardly able to put his feelings into words. It could be that his confused mind was realizing he was trying to doom himself by asking a god NOT to help him, but of course the aching that reverberated through both his mind and body did very little to sate the feeling of fogginess either so he continued on with his self treachery. Finally settling upon some rather bland generic words he redirected his attention to finishing the prayer.

"I just want you to know I'm sorry. I never meant to....Question you I guess." Raien brought his hand up to his face wiping away the perspiration from his drained skin and damp eyes, followed by him then running his hands over his face out of frustration and letting out a sigh. These actions signified the ending of both his prayer and his short break, choosing to continue on through the unforgiving terrain.

Some Time Later....

Raien felt as if he had greatly exaggerated when he thought himself tired earlier. But in truth he had hit rock bottom when it came to exhaustion long ago. And thus it should come as no surprise that Raien was filled with shock and hope at the sight of a kneeling woman.

Gaining a second wind he began to run shakily towards said person. Being perhaps a little too enthusiastic he may have ignored both the grieving state of said individual, and the almost sickly color of her skin. Not to mention just common sense, it's not always wise to run screaming at people you meet just walking along through the mountains, this is never the less exactly what he did.

"Hey! You! Can you help me, I'm kinda lost and..." Raien stopped both mid sentence and mid run when the the things he had so easily ignored earlier became apparent to him, a look of contemplation covering his once again tired visage. Had he just walked in on something?
Last edited by Raien Ironarm Pitrius on January 21st, 2014, 11:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Raien Ironarm Pitrius
Blackarm the Strong

Words: 109742
Joined roleplay: January 5th, 2014, 8:54 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Returning to the Grave

Postby Neyasi Tillandsia on January 21st, 2014, 10:42 pm

The sound of heavy footsteps on the rocks, and the shouting of an older man's voice rang in Neyasi's ears, but dimmed into oblivion in her mind, as she let loose a small sigh, continuing to stare down at the small mound. "And now it seems that we're not alone..." She murmured softly, bowing her head once, before rising to her feet, and adjusting her black silken cloak, eyes strangle blank and emotionless, before turning to face the approaching stranger.

She looked him up and down, observing him swiftly. "Who are you?" She asked softly, the tone of her voice exhausted, the level soft. She could have been speaking from her deathbed, the way she sounded.

OOC :
Sorry this is so small, not a whole lot I could do for this post.
Neyasi Tillandsia

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Returning to the Grave

Postby Raien Ironarm Pitrius on January 21st, 2014, 11:46 pm

Raien simply stared in silence taking in the woman who stood before him. She was what he would consider beautiful. She looked akin to one of the carvings he had seen in his youth. The hair, the ruby eyes, the che- Raien's thoughts were interrupted by both the movement of the said woman's mouth and the realization that she had no finger nails...Only claws.

"Who are you?" In this particular case the voice in no way matched the body. It was hoarse, weak, and overall what you'd expect of someone with a fatal injury. Her words were rather blunt and along with the coarse voice Raien's initial attraction was all but ruined. Not to mention he himself was dead tired and had very little energy left, let alone enough fuel to gawk at the opposite sex. Nonetheless she was obviously awaiting a reply, and Raien's mind was back on getting out of the mountains anyway, and she might just help him with that.

"Hello.... Sorry if I-...Uh, interrupted anything. But I''m quite lost. And to be honest your the first person I've seen in bells." Raien had decided to speak in common to avoid any confusion, however his skills at the language were subpar at best, borderline pathetic at worst. And as such his words were spoken with pauses and wrong pronunciations here and there. And with an accent that screamed Sultros at the top it's lungs.

"You can help me?" He didn't know the language well, his exhaustion didn't help either. However it seemed like the more and more he spoke it the less educated it sounded, while he lacked the words to replace anything he said. Raien did know the sentence said words produced sounded rather rude and blunt. Regardless he could do no better, not at the current moment at least. And while this knowledge should have allowed him to just let it go and hope for the best, Raien found himself worrying that the female would take it the wrong way. Though he really did need the help, and the words albeit seemingly rude were spoken with a genuine kind tone at the very least.
Last edited by Raien Ironarm Pitrius on January 22nd, 2014, 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raien Ironarm Pitrius
Blackarm the Strong

Words: 109742
Joined roleplay: January 5th, 2014, 8:54 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Returning to the Grave

Postby Neyasi Tillandsia on January 22nd, 2014, 3:15 am

Neyasi tilted her head slightly to the side, watching him, observing him more carefully. Dark hair, crystalline eyes, lean. Neyasi couldn't quite pinpoint his origins, but, she didn't feel she needed to. All she was curious of was why this stranger was here, and how she could get rid of him as fast as possible so that she might return to Vordinan's grave.

As he spoke, she frowned slightly, eyebrows knitting together in thought. Lost? Well, one might suppose it was rather easy in these parts, especially without a map. Would he travel without a map? Perhaps he was not quite adept at traveling. That would make sense. But, where was he traveling to? That was the real question here. Neyasi supposed that she would have to find out, or else she might not be able to spend the remainder of the day as she wold wish to.

His accent was strange. She'd only heard it perhaps once or twice. Sultros? Maybe. It did justify his unusual appearance, slightly. It did not seem to her that he was fluent in Common; Then again, neither was she, as learning Common had never been her or her father's top priority in her upbringing. She did retain an accent of Symenos, that was undeniable.

As he made his query, Neyasi straightened her head. The exhaustion was obvious in his own voice. He must have been wandering these mountains for a good while. Viratas knows where he should actually be right now. Neyasi thought silently to herself, watching him carefully. The words might not have been said in such a manner that the Symenestra might normally have deemed rude, but, not coming even close to being fluent in the language was an excusable thing.

After another moment of thought, Neyasi spoke. "Alright, I will help you. Do you remember what direction you came from?" She asked, already diving into her knapsack for the worn map of Mizahar given to her four years ago.
Neyasi Tillandsia

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes