Just moved to the UK!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to place any off topic chatter, thread games, etc here.

Just moved to the UK!

Postby Maddox on August 21st, 2010, 12:07 pm

My job has brought me to the UK, I flew in on Tuesday and am just getting over the jet lag and starting to explore the local countryside. I'm in Northamptonshire and was wondering if there are any locals on Mizahar with tips about things to do and places to see. So far I like it here, but there's definitely a bit of culture shock...
Maddox
A man with a mission

Words: 7865
Joined roleplay: November 10th, 2009, 3:28 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Peer Reviewer (1)

Just moved to the UK!

Postby Guido Faragas on August 26th, 2010, 6:47 pm

Welcome to the UK...and the rain...and the culture...which varies from the sublime to the ridiculous and the even worse (e.g. reality TV shows)..

I live in the UK but Northamptonshire is not a place I know too well. What sort of interests do you have?

However, depending exactly where you are, you haven't got a long journey to Stratford (if you are into Shakespeare) and Cambridge (if you are into historic University towns). You have the Norfolk Broads a way to your east if you fancy a barge holiday. To the north there are the Derbyshire dales.

Avoid Milton Keynes to the south - people have been known to enter the roundabout system and never emerge again...

If you need any specific help/advice just ask :)

Back on the boards after a nasty virus laid me low...should be posting again soon.
Guido Faragas
In Disequilibrium

Words: 114496
Joined roleplay: October 24th, 2009, 7:50 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Just moved to the UK!

Postby Maddox on August 29th, 2010, 2:38 pm

Thanks for the tips! The rain has been a bit of a blessing, coming from Louisiana's 100+ degree weather, but I'm sure I'll get tired of it eventually. I like hiking and camping and general outdoors activities, there doesn't seem to be much 'wildnerness' here, but I have found a few good walking paths to keep me busy.

Right now I'm living out of a hotel in Bicester, but I'll probably move to somewhere more permanent soon. I like being this close to Oxford, it's a short bus ride/very long walk away. There is plenty of culture to soak up and every little village I pass through has some sort of attraction to see. I met a student who will be leaving for Cambridge next month to start at the university so I'll probably look him up if I feel like seeing the sights there.

I haven't quite made up my mind about roundabouts yet. They save time over stop lights but they are a bit chaotic. In the driver's training they have us take to learn all the new rules for driving around here they warn us about the Magic Roundabout:
I could see myself getting lost in there...
Maddox
A man with a mission

Words: 7865
Joined roleplay: November 10th, 2009, 3:28 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Peer Reviewer (1)