[John G's Scrapbook] A Knight amongst Knights

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby John Griffin on September 8th, 2010, 2:23 pm

So, after about two months at the site, and some reading of other scrapbooks, I decided it might be neat to make my own. I've had lots of thoughts about the development of my character, and I think writing them out will be beneficial, both from the act of putting my thoughts to words, as well as the feedback I am hopeful for.

John is a knight. While that is obvious, what does it mean? A while back I came up with the idea to have him write a book on knighthood. It started off well, but brought up alot of questions. What exactly IS a knight? The Syliran knights are sort of stereotypical (thought obviously I love them, here I am, playing one!), with their plate armor and their chivalry, their swords, horses and lances. But is that what a knight is? Part of Mizahar's attraction is change from the typical elves, dwarves and dragons. It's new and exciting, turning typical fantasy on its head with great results. It's, to put it frankly, real. But how does one break the sterotype playing a knight amongst an order of knights that fit exactly that stereotype? Not to mention that alot of knights historically were NOT nice people. They took what they wanted, at the point of the sword.

The whole thing is a slight conundrum that leaves me at odds with myself. I see myself wanting to take John in several directions at once. Sometimes I want to go for the dark brooding knight, who is good at heart, but makes the hard choices and does the dark deeds that are beneficial for humanity and Syliras in the long run. But is that who John is? I don't think so. More and more I see him as the shining beacon of chivalry. How cliche, I know. And nobody is perfect. I've been trying to introduce some blatant flaws, but I'm just not sure what. Too nice, or too giving, at the expense of his own health and wealth? I've also been thinking of taking him down the path of duty. Strict and prickly, a man who lives for being a knight. But I don't know.

I think a balance of things may be best. A knight who can laugh and sing and dance and drink, but who takes his job serious. A knight that loves swordplay, and wordplay, writing and fighting. To put it simply, a real person. I don't really know anyone in real life that fits in to one set category. PCs should be the same then, I suppose. Mix and match to make a person that is interesting and unique, has a personality of their own. I'm still searching for John's voice, the little guy in my head that will say, "John would do this," or, "John would NEVER do that!" He sort of popped up in my first thread with Rhuryc. In the interest of conflict (which is always fun), both Rhuryc and I broke character, and I felt John saying, "I would never be such a prick!" But he hasn't spoken to me since.

Maybe some more character development flashbacks might do the trick. I'm thinking of working on one flashback or another for at least the next two seasons, to hopefully help flesh John out. See what happens with his first love interest, Karen. I think I know, but I don't want to ruin it, in case anyone here read Part One of what I intend to make a three part Flashback/Quest.

So, as the title of my scrapbook says, what color is a Griffin? What kind of knight and what kind of person is John? Let's find out together, shall we? :nod:
John Griffin
Syliran Knight

Words: 100281
Joined roleplay: July 7th, 2010, 5:42 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Peer Reviewer (1)

Postby John Griffin on December 1st, 2010, 10:53 pm

Ugh, I'm still torn.

I just recently got my motivation to write back. I was having internet issues, coupled with a two week vacation in which all my attention was devoted to my wife (I hadn't seen her in six months).

I was looking a John and thinking. How 2D. I'm still having difficulty fleshing him out. The whole Windoak thing with squires receiving their quests makes putting anything really bad into John. I've been looking up character flaws to try to find something that fits. I'm leaning towards the dutiful, blatantly honest, and sorta perfectionist knight.

Seriously, if anyone has any ideas or comments, I'm all ears. I'm close to just moving on to another PC.

I looked at some other CSs and stole the most used questionnaire format. This is what I've got so far.

General Information :
1. What is your Name?
John Griffin. Ser John Griffin now, I guess.

2. Do you go by a nickname or pet name?
No, just John. Some other knights call me Griffin though.

3. How old are you?

4. What is your height?
5' 8"

5. What is your weight?
160 lbs

Aesthetics :
1. Describe yourself as you see yourself.
2. Describe yourself as others typically see you.
3. What is your favorite body feature?
4. How physically fit are you?
5. How do you typically dress and what is your style?

Family :
1. Who are your parents and what are they like?
My father is Robert, a retired Knight. Now that he has nothing but time, he has taken more interest in my life and my own career, but before his injury he was working a lot. I know he tried to take care of me after my mother died, but his duties were quite a heavy burden for him.

My Mother, Susan, died when I was six. I don't remember much about her, but my father speaks fondly of her. She's pretty much just a name to me now.

2. Do you have any brothers or sisters?
No. My mother suffered complications when I was born, and was unable to have more children.

3. What is your extended family like?
Most of them are knights on my father's side. My mother was from Zeltiva, and I've never met anyone from her side of the family.

4. Do you consider close friends as important or more/less important than family?
My only close friends are family. My cousins Sarah and Thomas are the closest of my friends.

5. Do you treat animals like family?
Not really. But I've never had an animal that was my own until recently. I'd like to get a dog, and I just bought my first horse.

The Third Tier of Syliras.

2. Where do you live now?
Same Tier, different room.

3. If you could live anywhere in Mizahar where would that be?
I like it here in Syliras, but I think a place up in the mountains, near the Sunset Falls, would be nice.

4. Do you have a favorite place to vacation or spend leisure time?
Not particularly. I do like the Falls up in the Cobalt Mountains, but I don't really take vacation, nor have much leisure time.

5. Where do you fear to be?
In a desert. So much sand, no plants or water. It's just not natural. Thank Tyveth I've never seen one.

Traits :
1. Do you have any physical weaknesses (disease, scars, and missing limbs?)
Nothing detrimental. I have some lesser scars from training accidents. But then, all knights do. Nothing major though.

2. Are you right handed or left handed?
Right.

3. What languages do you speak? What do you sound like? Do you have an accent?
I speak Common fluently, and a smattering of Tukant. I also know Ekeldi, the sign language used by the Order. I suppose I have a Syliran accent, but here in the city its the norm, so it's not out of place. If I went to Sunberth or Zeltiva I would probably sound out of place, though. My Tukant is terribly broken, with a very bad accent.

4. Do you have any odd mannerisms, annoying habits, or other defining characteristics?
Hmmm. I try to be honest and straightforward, but some take it for rude bluntness.

5. Do you have (or want to get) any tattoos or piercing? Why do you have them (or will get them)?
No.

Occupations :
1. What is your occupation?
I have the honor of being a Knight of Syliras.

2. Do you like/dislike your work? Why?
I like it. It's an honorable profession, and it is personally satisfying.

3. If you could be anything you wanted to, what would you be?
Are still talking occupation here? Being a Knight is my life, it always has been, and I can't imagine being anything else.

4. What occupation do you admire the most? Why?
I admire the non-Hereditary knights. For me, I was raised for this, it's in my blood. I love it, don't get me wrong, but those that come from other places to join the Order, they are quite admirable.

5. What occupation do you least like? Why?
Criminals. I'm not talking the urchin on the street who steals a bit of food, or the circumstantial perpetrator. I'm talking the occupational criminal. Thugs, thieves, assassins. Despicable.

Childhood :
1. What sort of child were you?
Self occupied. I loved books, and still do. I didn't get into trouble, but that's to be expected for a fourth generation knight. Discipline and honor are the cornerstones of our lives after all.

2. What is your favorite memory from childhood?
When I was fifteen my father took me to Sunset Falls. We swam and talked, ran and trained with the longsword. It was just a few months before his injury.

3. What is your worst memory from childhood?
The months following my mother's death. My father was a wreck. He tried to be more active in my life, but his grief prevented any real development in our relationship.

4. What sort of relationship did you have with your parents?
Distant. I hardly remember my mother, and my father was working alot. Plus, once I became a page I was hardly in the city. So I guess our relationship was...dutiful.

5. Who was your most influential rolemodel?
Ser William Erindale, my patron and mentor. He trained me in the ways of knighthood.

Education :
1. What sort of education do you have?
A Knight's education. I can read and write, I've several books on the Order's history, as well as other various martially related topics. I've been trained in the arts of war and military tactics, to include the skills necessary of being a knight.

2. Do you like/dislike learning?
I love learning. I can bury my nose in a book for hours at a time, and train until I'm exhausted. Learning is fun.

3. Where or how did you learn most of your skills/abilities?
Knights. Primarily Ser Erindale, but also my father and various other knights.

4. How do you learn best?
Practice.

5. What are your educational goals for the future?
I'd really like to become a fantastic swordsman. I suppose I need to work on my other knightly skills as well, particularly riding and lance work.

Relationships :
1. Do you form close bonds with people? Why? Why not?
I have a few close professional bonds, and a few close family members. But I don't really get close to others. There's just no opportunity for it.

2. Do you trust people easily? If not, why not?
Other knights, yes. Beyond that, not so much. I don't inherently distrust people, but there are bad people out there, so I've got to watch out.

3. Do you consider yourself straight, gay, bi, or something else?
Straight.

4. Have you ever been kissed? If so, describe the first time.
Yes. It was wonderful, but it almost made me forgo my duty. It was a fling, nothing serious.

5. Have you ever had sex? If so, describe the first time.
No.

Drugs and Alcohol :
1. Have you ever been drunk? If so, describe your first time.
Yes. It was a couple years ago. One of the other squires got a hold of a rack of wine, and several of us spent the night drinking. Ser Erindale caught wind of it, though, and had me training so hard the next day that I vomited.

2. Do you like to drink on a regular basis?
Recreational drinking every so often. I haven't been stumbling drunk since the first time. Just an mug here and there, maybe two.

3. What sort of alcohol do you prefer?
I like wine the best, but usually drink ale. I'm not made of Miza after all.

4. Have you ever tried drugs (mood altering substances)? If so, which kinds and what did you think of them?
Just alcohol, if that counts.

5. What do you think of drugs and alcohol? Be specific.
Okay in moderation, but dangerous otherwise.

Likes and Dislikes :
1. What are your hobbies?
I train a lot on my off time. I want to be the best knight I can be.

2. Do you like to read?
I love it.

3. What annoys you more than anything else?
Lying. Just tell the truth, it's much easier.

4. What do you find the most relaxing activity to do?
Soaking in the Baths is extremely relaxing.

5. What kinds of things embarrass you? Why?
Losing, failing, sub-standard achievements. I want to be the best, and less than perfect isn't good enough.

Favorites :
1. What is your favorite color or colors?
No favorite color. I wear earth tones and white a great deal, though.

2. What is your favorite time of day?
Just before noon.

3. What is the most beautiful thing you’ve ever seen?
I saw the Sun fall at Sunset Falls. *Chuckles*

4. What do you like to eat? What do you hate to eat?
I like meat, especially venison. Bread, potatoes and carrots are good too. I don't like fish. Keep it to mammals and poultry for me, please.

5. What is your favorite type of weather? Does any kind scare you?
Sunny, with a cool breeze. It's the best for training. Does a drought count as weather? That's scary. I guess a storm would if I was on a boat, or out in the wilderness.

Outlook :
1. Are you optimistic or pessimistic?
I think I'm optimistic. I hope for the best, and want to be the best. My cousin Sarah says I'm a pessimist. She says I see the bad more than the good.

2. What are your religious views?
I am a follower of Tyveth, though I pay homage to Yahal, Eyris and Wysar as well.

3. Would you be able to kill?
I hope so. There's a good chance my life will depend on it.

4. What are your views on sex?
Sex is something special between two people that care for each other.

5. What, in your opinion, makes a successful life?
Hard work.

Actions :
1. What is the worst and best thing you’ve ever done?
The best thing was become a knight. The worst? I don't know.

2. What is your greatest regret?
Karen.

3. What is your best/worst memory?
You asked that already.

4. If you could change one thing about your past, what would it be and why?
I wish my mother was still alive.

5. What are you the most proud of doing in your life?
Being knighted.

Emotions :
1. How honest are you about your thoughts and feelings with others?

I try to be honest and forthright. Some call me blunt or candid. Someone called me callous once, but that's just not right. It's not that I'm insensitive, I just think the truth is too important.

2. Do you have any biases or prejudices?
I don't like people who expect handouts. Charity is helping people help themselves, not just giving them stuff. The exception is children, who are often unable to help themselves.

3. What makes you happy?
Upholding the law. If I can help someone in the process, great. Unfortunately my job tends to lean towards stopping criminals. It's hard to see the whole picture some times, which is that by stopping crime I am helping everyone.

I like to win too, and be the best at whatever I do.

4. Who or what, if anything, would you die for?
The Order, my fellow knights, an innocent.

5. What makes you angry?
Those why prey on others.

Relationships :
1. In general, how do you treat others?
Respectfully.

2. Who is the most important person in your life, and why?
I don't know.

3. Who is the person you respect the most, and why?
Ser Erindale. He is the greatest knight I know, and has served the Order faithfully for over fifty years.

4. Do you have a spouse or significant other? If not, describe an ideal lover.
No. I imagine I'll marry another knight, so she'll educated and physically fit. Pretty too, I hope.

5. Do you trust anyone to protect you? Who, and why?
My comrades in arms. It is their duty, and we are united under the same banner of hope and law.

Group Situations :
1. Do you tend to argue with people, or avoid conflict?
The law is the law, and the truth is the truth. The law must be upheld, and the truth must be known. This often breeds conflict.

2. Do you tend to take on leadership roles in social situations?
It depends. If I am among my peers or subordinates, yes.

3. Do you like interacting with large groups of people? Why or why not?
I'm neither for or against it.

4. Do you care what others think of you?
In a way. Honesty and frankness is important to me, which means I want to know what they think. If I think they are being truthful, I may take what they say to heart.

5. What do you think of others, in general?
There's too many types of people to lump them all together. I would not dare put the Grandmaster of the Order in the same category as, say, a thug from Sunberth.

Self Image :
1. What is your greatest strength as a person?
My discipline.

2. What is your greatest weakness?

3. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
People often say I'm short for a knight. While I beg to differ, it would be nice not to hear it so much, so I would make myself taller.

4. Are you generally introverted or extroverted?
You tell me.

5. Are you generally organized or messy?
Organized.

Beliefs :
1. What God or Goddess do you find most appealing, if any?

2. Which God or Goddess do you fear, if any?

3. Do you have any Gnosis Marks? If so, how did you receive them?

4. What lengths would you go to to please your deity?

5. Where do you draw the line at pleasing your deity? What is too much?

Life & Death :
1. What do you absolutely live for?

2. What is the best part of life?

3. What is the best part of death?

4. If you could choose, how would you want to die?

5. What is the one thing for which you would most like to be remembered after your death?
John Griffin
Syliran Knight

Words: 100281
Joined roleplay: July 7th, 2010, 5:42 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Peer Reviewer (1)

Postby Stitch on December 19th, 2010, 7:29 am

This made me think of you, sir! <333!

Secret :
Stitch
Blind Man

Words: 498882
Joined roleplay: December 11th, 2009, 8:48 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 12
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (3) Advocate (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Thunderspork (1)