A couple character questions...

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Darkus Dread on September 8th, 2010, 4:55 am

I have created this character, Darkus Dread, who combines the magic of void and flux with his body training. I think that this will be a good combination but I am not sure. I made him rather strong (body building) and made him a good hand to hand combatant (unarmed combat.) My reasoning is that he could possibly grapple an enemy into a void. This strategy is basic and rather cheap, but my main question is this... Will it work, or did I mess up this character from the get-go?
Darkus Dread
Player

Words: 3648
Joined roleplay: September 6th, 2010, 7:50 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby John Vicari on September 8th, 2010, 5:23 am

Anything can work but you need to work on the skills first. So I don't see you able to make a void large enough to throw someone nor able to do it at the same time by fighting someone.

IF the skills were high in number and rank then sure you could try to pull something like that off in theory.
John Vicari
Player

Words: 107575
Joined roleplay: April 20th, 2010, 8:19 pm
Blog: View Blog (10)
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Peer Reviewer (1)

Postby Siiri on September 8th, 2010, 6:09 am

Two things to take note: 1) opening a portal takes several seconds at the very least (I doubt even masters of the art can open portals instantenously), and 2) you need to maintain your concentration in keeping the portal open while you manhandle the guy, the longer it takes, the closer keeping the portal open brings you to overgiving. At your current skill level, ask yourself, can you even fight and keep a void portal open at the same time?

Realistically speaking, concentrating on one field of study takes time and effort. What about two? In the real world, can a successful mixed martial artist become a rocket scientist at the same time?
Apologies to everyone I'm threading with, but it's like the Danaides for me right now.
==/==
"If it doesn't solve all your problems, maybe you're not using enough of it." - Violence
Siiri
Beast of Prey

Words: 521753
Joined roleplay: September 18th, 2009, 3:22 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Darkus Dread on September 8th, 2010, 9:33 pm

Yeah, I see what you are both saying. I am thinking this character might be a flop. I mean he is still playable, but unless he was able to somehow stun his enemy, for long enough to open portals, I don't see how he could do both, and he might wouldn't even be able to successfully do something like that until he had a lot more skill points.
I have also been considering making a pycon with stealth/acrobatics/larceny/lockpicking and something else... I am not sure what... My theory is something small and maluable like a pycon could possibly be a great stealth character.... but I feel like he is missing good offense, but my worry is that any type of offensive skill combat would be more amusing than affective coming from a pycon.... But perhaps Reimancy is the missing piece? Making him stealthy, small, and leathal, great for dungeon threads and anything involving low=profile tasks.
Darkus Dread
Player

Character sheet

Postby Eanos on September 8th, 2010, 9:48 pm

I think that you might be overlooking the advantages of having weaknesses. Not having a good offence can allow a more interesting character because you can't simply bull through threats.
Eanos
Overgiven Magesmith

Words: 443521
Joined roleplay: March 22nd, 2010, 2:38 pm
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Donor (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Darkus Dread on September 8th, 2010, 10:11 pm

That's true. I didn't even think of that. Hmmm I actually think that character could work. I already have a story in my head.
Darkus Dread
Player

Character sheet

Postby Vyalomn on September 8th, 2010, 10:40 pm

Also realize that as a master voider who uses a grappling technique to throw someone into the void risks their life every time they attempt it. If your enemy hold on, you're going in there too. Odds are the character would want to seal the portal the isntant the enemy enters and risks not being able to stop the process if they are half way in! From said point you'd be trapped in the void with the enemy and numerous other "banished" entities for an indeterminable amount of time unless a partner nearby had an anchor on/near your person. Anchors and team work would be key to this technique I think.
Vyalomn
A diamond among pearls

Words: 9862
Joined roleplay: August 28th, 2010, 4:33 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet