Flashback [North Kabrin Road] Apples for Oranges, trade isn't easy

On his way to Syliras, Turais tries to trade goods for services.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Stretching northward along the coastline of the Suvan Sea, the Cobalt Mountains are the home of the Bronze Wood, numerous ruins, and creatures both strange and fantastical.

[North Kabrin Road] Apples for Oranges, trade isn't easy

Postby Turais on April 11th, 2014, 5:07 pm

60th of Summer, 452 AV

It had been Turais' luck that he had managed upon a small caravan of merchants and travelers all on the road headed to Syliras from the North. He had traveled from Nyka mostly alone, having had one companion join him for a short while before changing course and then it had been just Turais for a few days. He was just glad he had not run into any bandits on the road until he met up with the group of travelers. All of them were happy to have another with them to potentially scare off any bandits with a large group.

In the roughly twenty days he had been with the group they were steadily approaching the Bronze Woods portion of the road and it looked like in another 20 or so they would reach Syliras, a fact Turais was very happy about, he had been desperately missing taking baths and having fresh food to eat, the stale rations he was carrying were getting him through at night when his human form required a bit of nourishment, but over all it had been an unpleasant trek. At this point he wished he had bought a horse before leaving Nyka, at least he could have sold it once he made it to Syliras, or even kept it until he reached Zeltiva.

Despite the bad things he felt he had to endure, including the smell of himself and the others, he was glad to be in a large group. Most of them were merchants heading to Syliras to trade or seek out jobs. There were a small handful of widows and young men who were off to Syliras for their own reasons. Turais suspected the boys wanted to become Knights, as he often heard them whispering to one another about how great it would be to be a Syliran Knight. (Something he needed to remind himself to investigate once he made it to Syliras.)

For the most part everyone had a skill that helped, all except Turais, really. Though he supposed his being here added another large male to the group so that in and of itself helped, but he had no wilderness survival and relied heavily on the traveled merchants to help him, and try to teach him. In fact just the other night one of the men, Jusep, a human from Sunberth originally, had tried to show him how to use his Flint and Steel to light a small fire so one of the merchants could cook up a rabbit they'd caught earlier in the day and a few other things people offered up for the group to share. By this time they had all grown accustomed to Turais becoming a smaller and darker skinned human at night, though his lacking height seemed to make a few nervous, but at least he still added more to the numbers. Needless to say it had taken him a lot of time trying before Jusep finally took the tools from him and started the fire himself, the others having grown impatient.

Today was proving to be just as boring as the last few. No new people had caught up with them and they had not see anyone passing by the opposite way in a few weeks. The only thing Turais could do to temper his boredom was to listen in on the conversations around him, doing his best to keep each one separate, but the inevitable mingling happened and a few times he got confused from the garbled conversations.

Turais' Common
Turais' Shiber
Your Speech
NPC Speech
Turais
Player

Words: 23754
Joined roleplay: April 9th, 2014, 3:59 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Turais on April 11th, 2014, 5:27 pm

North Kabrin Road

As the morning turned into mid afternoon Turais had caught onto one conversation that appealed to him. One of the older gentlemen with the group who was not a merchant had mentioned something about Djed and Auras. Since then Turais had been very focused on listening to him every time he heard his voice speak up, but no other mentions of those topics had come up and by the time the gorup stopped to rest and eat Turais was wondering if he should approach the man and attempt to learn something from him.

Before he got the chance the old man sat down beside him and gave him a stern look. "It is not very polite to eavesdrop, even if you mean no harm by it." He started off, talking slowly and quietly in common as he pulled a waterskin from his pack and took a drink. Turais stared quietly at him for a moment, amazed that the man had realized Turais had been eavesdropping. He had been very careful to make it look like he was just looking out at the surroundings and paying no mind to anyone in particular. This shock seemed to be pikced up by the man too as he chuckled softly. "I have a gift for being able to pick up on little things like that," his tone turned serious though as he continued, "but seriously, don't let me catch you eavesdroppin' no more. I got no time to be warey of some Ethaefal tryin'ta pick up on my conversations."

As he stood up to leave Turais reached out and gently grabbed his arm, then swallowed nervously as he realized what he had done and let go, before clering his throat. "Wait, I wonder, do you know anything about Djed and... Auras was it? Can you teach me?" He gave the man the most pleading look he could muster, but it seemed to have no effect. Turais found himself wishing the one with this knowledge was one of the widows whom he caught glancing at him with awe every now and then as they all traveled. "Sorry kid, it's hard enough telling it to someone who is sittin and listening, let alone when there're lots of ears prying, just like yours. Besides, what would I get out of it?" He snorted and went to leave until Turais called out to him again with an offer.

"I'll trade you something?" Turais was intent on getting at least a basic explanation. The man turned back to the Ethaefal and folded his arms with lofted brows. "Okay, what's your offer?" He asked, sounding impatient and lookign as if he was not really going to consider any offers of trade the Syna worshipper gave him. "Oh well, I have food, and water, I'll give you my rations and waterskin, or maybe I can transcribe a book for you, or take notes while you dictate?" Turais began, listing off things the man might find useful, each offer was met with a shake of his head as the older man seemed uninterested. "Look kid, I got plenty of water and rations of my own. I packed enough to get me to Syliras and back, I even got dried fruits and jerky, so I'm not eating that stale bread and molded cheese you got yourself."

Turais' Common
Turais' Shiber
Your Speech
NPC Speech
Turais
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Turais on April 11th, 2014, 7:31 pm

The most Turais had managed to get out of the old man was his name, Geremyah, and that he was headed to Syliras to take a boat over to Alvadas before making the rest of trip down to Riverfall where he intended to 'retire'. Neither of which was really useful, though he supposed having the mans name was good. At least the next time he tried to pry something out of him he could use his name. (Though the thought had crossed his mind that the name was an alias or what-have-you.)

The rest of the days walk had proven a terrible time to try nd talk to Geremyah, the man had managed to avoid standing too close to the back or the front and was right in the middle, with the most ears to hear something, not only that but one of the younger widows seemed intent on trying to speak to Turais, flashing him smiles and twirling her hair when she did managed to strike a conversation with him. Sadly for her, Turais was far too ignorant to the fact she was attempting to flirt with him, and he simply replied in polite, short sentences or words and gave no offering of attention when she tried to bat her lashes at him. In fact she asked him where exactly he would be staying in Syliras and when he told her he had no idea, she offered to let him stay with her in the house her husband had bought in the city before he died. He had replied with a polite smile then declined, informing her that he would not be staying for long and would be fine staying in an inn for a while.

It was not until the sun sank into the horizon and the stars and moon came out that the woman finally stopped her attempts. Whether she grew tired of him ignoring her advances or she was not as attracted to him in his mortal appearance he was not sure, nor did he particularly care, as his form shimmered a rosey-gold before his coppered visage faded into the brown skinned half Benshira human he had been in his last life. After a bell of walking in the dark the group decided to stop and go off the road a short ways to make camp, dividing the watch out among the men as they had been the entire trip. Turais was given first and last watch since he seemed to be wake a while before the sun rose anyways and the other men enjoyed the extra sleep. Things were made even better for the Ethaefal when the old man, Geremyah, was assigned first watch as well. All he had to do now was wait.

Turais' Common
Turais' Shiber
Your Speech
NPC Speech
Turais
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Turais on April 11th, 2014, 8:14 pm

Once dinner had been handed out, Turais eating mostly rations but also buying an ounce or two of dried Elderberries from one of the merchants, most everyone turned to socialize before eventually going to bed, leaving Turais and Geremyah to keep a lookout during the first watch. Turais sat with his back to a tree next to Geremyah who had brought a bedroll and was leaned against it, rolled up next to the tree. As they stayed silent for a little while Turais offered him a few elderberries before pocketing the few that remained, saving them for the next night.

Geremyah snorted softly but took the offering of berries, rolling them in his fingers and feeling their dried, pruned texture before popping them in his mouth and sighing softly. "Going to try to keep getting the information out of me, are ya? It's gonna cost you more than a few berries." This in turn brought a chuckle out of the mortal Ethaefal as he folded his arms and held the oversized coat closer to his frame. "What will it take then? I don't have much, I'm traveling light to get to Syliras quicker." Turais explained, wishing he had grabbed some unique and expensive looking trinket from Nyka, or even Zeltiva before he had left.

Geremyah just shrugged, "I doubt you have anything that's worth my time in trade. Your skills of writing are nice, but I can write well enough myself, don't need a scribe to do it for me. And by the looks of you you don't have any books, useful or otherwise." He then turned to watch Turais as he visibly deflated, looking distraught and a little depressed. Not only was night time his least favorite time, ever, but the man seemed intent on not sharing his wisdom with the Ethaefal.

"Okay look, how about you give me 10 Mizas and I will give you a quick lesson tomorrow during our stop for lunch eh?" Turais seemed to perk up and looked at him with a glint in his eyes, but before he allowed himself to smile, he put on his best attempt at a poker face. "For 10 we start tonight and pick up tomorrow." Geremyah huffed at the Ethaefals offer and hook his head. Turais just continued to offer alternatives. "Fine, then how about 5 and we start tomorrow?" The man shook his head again but offered something else, "How about 10, we start tomorrow, and I will give you a blank book so you can take notes, eh?"

Turais sat back as he contemplated the offer. He supposed it was a good one, it would allow him to write down the lesson that Geremyah taught him and remember it later on. It was better than having to see if any of the merchants in this caravan had any blank books for sale and try to buy it off of them, or to wait until Syliras to try and find a book then and remember the lesson to write it down. Who knew how many days it would be till then, Turais didn't think he could remember every detail that long.

He nodded in agreement and held a hand out to Geremyah who accepted it and gave it a brisk shake to seal the deal. "I'll be needing the gold in advance." Geremyah added with a grin before he released Turais hand and waited for the gold mizas. Turais frowned and reached into his coin purse, "How about five now, then five when we start and you give me the book?" He replied as he placed three of the mizas' into Geremyahs palm. The man chuckled and pocketed the money with a shrug, "Fair enough, five now, and five later."

The spent the rest of their watch silently watching the area around the caravan until they had to go wake up the next two for their watch. Turais was too excited to sleep though, and ended up only getting a bell of sleep before he was woken up for the last shift before the sun rose.

OOCdeduct 2 sm for 2 oz of dried elderberries
deduct 10 gm for intro to Auristics lesson

Turais' Common
Turais' Shiber
Your Speech
NPC Speech
Turais
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Turais on April 11th, 2014, 10:08 pm

61st of Summer, 452 AV AV

When the sun had finally begun to peak out from the horizon, Turais' form glimmered and shifted as he took on his Syna blessed form. The clothing that had been baggy and overly large on the small half Benshira became a bit tight fitting on the tall Ethaefal man. As had become common place a few woman had woken up early to try and catch Turais transforming and this morning a few of them had succeeded. Apparently it reminded them of some story about an ugly old man turning into a handsome young prince every morning then back into an ugly old man every night. Turais, truth be told, was a little insulted at the comparison. Sure, his Benshiran form was not overly handsome, like this form, but was he really ugly? Oh well, none of these women were really his 'type' so he supposed it did not matter.

He sighed and looked up to the sky as the rest of the group began waking up and preparing their breakfasts. Turais was back to soaking up sun for sustenance and took this time to pray to his Goddess for guidance and her blessings. He pulled himself to his feet and stood with his front facing the sun as it rose and slowly stretched his hand a bit out from his sides. With his dark eyes he stared right into the light of the sun and in Shiber began giving her thanks and praise. "My Goddess Syna, I thank the for watching over me and protecting me fro the harshness of the wilderness. I thank the also for protecting the people of this caravan from harm and bringing us all together. But most of all I thank you for rising another day and shedding light on this world and casting out the darkness that comes with the night and the rise of Leth."

As far as Turais knew none of the caravan knew Shiber, or atleast not well enough to pick up on his quick and quiet prayer. He knew none of the women did as they often tried to get him to tell them what he was doing every morning. He always declined though, saying it was between he and Syna, which should have been enough, but, this many days on the road gave them all a horrible case of boredom.

None the less, once his prayers were concluded and he had turned to join the group again they were all on their way. Despite feeling centered from his prayer, as he always did, he also felt a little anxious for the afternoon rest to come so he could pester Geremyah about Auras and Djed again and actually get answers as per their agreement. It was the only thing on his mind and he knew it was obvious because Geremyah kept glancing back at him with an almost annoyed look at Turais stared at the back of his head intently.

Turais' Common
Turais' Shiber
Your Speech
NPC Speech
Turais
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets