Falconry Confusion

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Falconry Confusion

Postby Gryhm on April 19th, 2014, 5:39 pm

So I was looking at the skill lists and realized falconry had bird keeping but isn't that the same as animal husbandry? I was sort of confused by that, as in birds are animals and that this seems like a specialized animal husbandry that could be done with in fact animal husbandry. IE cleaning mew, providing meat, giving water.

So it left me wondering if I wanted to do other things, could I take animal husbandry for falconry opposed to birdkeeping? Or am I sort of forced into a singular obscure type of thing. The writing of falconry already seems to follow the protocol irl to take care of hawks and falcons, birdkeeping seems like everything else.
Gryhm
Player

Words: 8455
Joined roleplay: March 8th, 2014, 6:44 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Falconry Confusion

Postby Colt on April 19th, 2014, 5:53 pm

To my knowledge, birdkeeping relates to animal husbandry that same way as horsemanship does. Horsemanship = animal husbandry: horse, but looks prettier. Animal husbandry on its own is mostly a general understanding about how most animals work, but animal husbandry: horse is specifically geared towards the maintained of horses. It is exactly the same thing as horsemanship, but horsemanship just looks prettier on a skill list. I imagine it would be the same for birdkeeping.

Falconry, however, is something altogether separate. Knowing how to care for birds doesn't necessarily mean you know how to hunt with them, just like knowing how to breed horses doesn't necessarily mean you know how to ride them and get them to go where you want them to. The two skills go hand in hand, yes, but are not the same.
“Pavi” | Grassland Sign | “Common” | “Tukant” | Nura
Colt
Miss Communication

Words: 943625
Joined roleplay: August 8th, 2011, 6:38 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Advocate (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Falconry Confusion

Postby Ablation on April 20th, 2014, 10:31 pm

What Shahar says is true, but to add to that or maybe clarify this is the difference. Animal Husbandry is care that needs to be done on all animals (and is supported by lores) For instance, you will get animal husbandry for washing an animal (any animal) and a lore that specifies what you know. You will get animal husbandry if you do something on any animal that all animals need (Including feeding, etc.).

Birdkeeping is keeping parrots and small birds, these require much different care than falcons which is why it is a separate skill. Horsemanship and Falconry are skills you will get for specifically dealing with horses or falcons respectively. Dealing with them in a way that is specific to that animal. For instant, washing or grooming a horse will get you Animal Husbandry, but learning to breed or clean out a horses hoof will get you Horsemanship. Alternatively, with Falconry, you will get animal husbandry for feeding them but Falconry for learning to fly and hunt with them.
Ablation
Retired Staff

Words: 276726
Joined roleplay: January 14th, 2014, 9:22 pm
Race: Staff account
Office

Falconry Confusion

Postby Gryhm on April 21st, 2014, 3:02 pm

So if I wanted to do dogs and falcons I would need something like Dog Handling, Falconry with animal husbandry ? Or would I be safe to assume with those two skills alone I'd know how to take care and train said animals ?
Gryhm
Player

Character sheet

Falconry Confusion

Postby Ablation on April 21st, 2014, 3:46 pm

If you want dogs and falcons you would need Falconry and Animal Husbandry (Because there is no specific skill for dog handling). The animal Husbandry XP would allow you to care for and train the dogs, as well as care for and feed your Falcons. Your Falconry skill would allow you to train your falcons and hunt with them.
Ablation
Retired Staff

Words: 276726
Joined roleplay: January 14th, 2014, 9:22 pm
Race: Staff account
Office

Falconry Confusion

Postby Gryhm on April 21st, 2014, 4:03 pm

That's awesome thank you both for straightening that out.

:)
Gryhm
Player

Character sheet