Completed Galloping Goofballs (Asher)

Jaye and Asher are given a job...but what happens when they start goofing off?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Galloping Goofballs (Asher)

Postby Jaye on May 27th, 2014, 8:14 pm

Spring, 1rst, 513 AV

"Enough!" Ashers voice broke the weighted silence between daughter and father instantly and both stared at him surprised. Her father waited patiently for him to continue though Jaye could sense the anger at Ashers impertinence broiling on the surface of her fathers dark skin. What is he thinking? Jaye wondered and gave Asher a confused look, I made the mistake...what could be possibly have to sa-"

"It was my fault. I startled one of the yearlings and they darted," Jayes jaw dropped. He had lied for her. Her fathers thin lipped line broke into a deeper frown as he stared Asher down. As Asher moved before her Jaye was tempted to shove him aside, she didn't need anyone to defend her. As her hands reached out she hesitated. He is a stallion, she reminded herself, this was his job. Certainly, she couldn't rob him of his duty. She had seen it before, Stallions without a herd. They grew feral and intolerable quickly until their spirit broke. I can't punish him for conducting his purpose, nor should I be offended by it. A leader can not also be a warrior. She reminded herself sternly and allowed him to stand up for her.

"If it wasn't for Jaye then things could have gotten a lot worse. No one got hurt and everything's fine" Jayes father looked between them for a moment disbelief and admiration equally reflected in his eyes. "Very well then. YOU will suffer the punishment then. All the horses have to be counted and checked. You can do that...alone." He added sternly, drawing Jaye away from her friend.

Gazing back over her shoulder as she was led away Jaye waved quietly, a twist of her finger and wrist signing an apology as she was torn away. How badly she wished to leap from her father and aid her friend, but she respected him too deeply to embarrass him so in front of all the onlookers.

Jaye
Hoofbeats on the Horizon

Words: 72790
Joined roleplay: April 19th, 2014, 12:51 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Asher Nightrunner on May 27th, 2014, 11:22 pm

He had done it. Defended his friend from her father, but now he was to be punished. He had to go through and check each of the yearlings for injury. Though it didn't bother him, the fact that Jaye had still been taken from him. He nodded not wanting to say anything else. He watched as they walked away, Karne pushing against his back. Trying to get him to chase after then and steal Jaye away. The strider could feel what the boy wanted to do. But he just turned, walking towards the herd. He looked back towards Jaye as she waved and signed her apology. He shook his head simply going back to the herd.

He walked over to one of the yearlings and ran his hand down its side, then legs. Checking for any broken or displaced bones. He moved from one to the other, patting each one down and checking them before handing them off to the next Drykas. Bells had pasted since the incident and now he was tired. He mounted up on Karne and strode back towards camp.

He walked by Jaye's tent and dismounted. Standing there for a chime he sighed and pushed his way inside. Karne snorting behind in a sort of protest. Asher waved it off, "Jaye?" he called out. Hoping that her father wouldn't be there.
Asher Nightrunner
Player

Words: 21675
Joined roleplay: May 11th, 2014, 1:26 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Jaye on June 1st, 2014, 5:47 pm

Ducking under the flap of the tent Jayes scowl was seemingly permanently etched on her face. "Why do you do these things?" Her father grumbled as he followed her inside, "Is it impossible for you to stay out of trouble?"

"You'd never scold a foal so..." Jaye replied bitterly.

"You are not a foal Jaye. You are as much human as beast and you should know better than to use such a pathetic excuse for your behavior." He replied, shock and appalled dismay sinking into the lines of his cheeks and pursed lips. Looking away Jaye pursed her lips, he's right...I knew better than to rough house with Asher amongst all the horses...they wouldn't have bolted if I had been a horse though...can't he understand how impossible it is to separate the two? However, she didn't respond and merely sat on the edge of her bedroll awaiting the rest of his speech.

Culturally loud, the Drykas would habitually rant at times. A habit that annoyed the noise sensitive Kelvic. "You say you want to be a warrior...but letting your friend take the fall for you isn't the honourable actions of a warrior Jaye."

The rebuke made Jaye wince and cross her arms angrily, "I didn't LET him take the fall...he took it of his own accord." While her father was secretly impressed with the loyalty she naturally inspired in those around her, or more specifically Asher, he wasn't convinced letting her know that was the healthy option.

She was like any difficult horse. Trying to control her would never work, he had to guide her gently. Convince her that what he wanted, she had actually decided of her own accord. Sitting down beside her on the bedroll the large figure of her father leaned over her, gently taking her hands.

"Every Drykas is a warrior. Every Drykas must be trusted to care for our flocks and herds and protect the Sea of Grass. Such childish antics leave little room for trust. Trust is ground in reliance, one cannot rely on a child. If you want to be a warrior my dear, you need to know when is the proper time to act as a child and to act as an adult. Play is as important as war, but only at the proper time..."

Jaye chewed her lip. As patriotic as she was, and as proud of her race as she was she couldn't help but question that statement. Since she was born Asher had been telling her tales of Syliras and the Syliran knights of what it truly meant to be a warrior. The Drykas were brave and fierce but they weren't the same as the men she had heard so many stories about. They weren't refined or reserved. They worked in groups with miraculous precision but it was in ill defined lines and last minute gestures. They lived hard and fast.

Though she loathed the idea of leaving The Sea, didn't all her fantasies take place in the mountains, in rivers, in cities, anywhere except the plains she had grown up in. The idea made her sick with grief and guilt that she could think so poorly of the Drykas. They were more brave, noble and fierce than any other race.

"I am not a child. I know when to act as what. I just...Asher is leaving... I wanted to spend time with him." Made soft and vulnerable from thoughts too complex and emotional for her yet meager mind to grasp Jaye fell into his arms, collapsing as a sack would collapse upon a horses back. The unyielding resistance of his side made her grasp him harder, wishing to draw some of that strength and composure into herself.

"I know child, I know..." He replied, softly rubbing her back. Watching her in such grief made his heart quake but despite his sympathy he understood the young man. The Drykas could not teach one everything anymore, there were many cities beyond that held treasures, if simply the treasure of independence. As much as Jaye acted ever the independent and self sufficient child she depended more heavily on him and their clan than many Drykas children he had seen. The horse within her was never more prominent than those moments.

"Jaye?" A soft voice murmured from the tent entrance. Stealing away from the flap and rubbing her reddening eyes Jaye felt a solid wall of panic slap the tip of her nose. "Please...don't let him see me like this..." She murmured, almost inaudibly. Though, unequivocally an emotional sort, with a face that betrayed all, Jaye none the less tried to hide her weakness in the darkness of her animal face. Though she knew nothing of one using her emotions against her, nor had she ever been mocked for her emotions she knew the story. Only those impassioned and angry won. Knights never cried in the stories.

"I think you should leave..." She heard her father murmur, opening the tent flaps wide enough to admit only his body. Streams of sunlight glimmered, creating a broad silhouette before her. Though she couldn't see his face, the tone in his voice was enough for the acute ears of her horse form to pick up the lie that lay upon his tongue.

Word Count877
Jaye
Hoofbeats on the Horizon

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Asher Nightrunner on June 2nd, 2014, 1:47 am

"I want to speak to Jaye" Asher said as her father stopped him. Her father simply shook his head and looked down at him. He went to speak but Asher cut him off. "I need to see her" he said, his voice defiant. He had already stood against him once today. The worse that could happen is he would be struck if he tried it again. But he didn't care, his friend was more important to him then any pain would be. Even if her father struck him he would stand there and argue. "No. You may not" her father said simply. Standing before him, blocking his way. The man had more experience in everything then Asher did. "She's my friend! I want to see her!" he said, his voice raising. Trying to show his strength even against this man. He refused to give into anything that keep him from his goal.

"Asher. Now is not the time" her father spoke again, not budging from his spot. "Why not? How is now not as good as later? Why cant I see her?" he asked, in a demanding tone. "I've been in her life just a long as you have! I deserve to see her! She's my best friend!" he called out. "And if you wont let me see her then I'll just have to push my way through you! Nothing is going to keep me from keeping her safe" he said. The anger boiling up inside him, his voice trembled as he spoke. "It wasn't her fault! I did just as much as she did!" His fist clinched tightly. His anger flared in his eyes. "Why are you keeping her from me?" he shouted.

"Because you cant see her right now" the father said, her grabbed Asher shoulder and turned him around. Leading him towards the exit. Asher was pushed out still trying to fight back. He turned once more staring at her father. He snorted much like a horse and mounted up on Karne. The thundering of his hooves as he stormed away from her tent.

Wordcount347

Asher Nightrunner
Player

Words: 21675
Joined roleplay: May 11th, 2014, 1:26 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Jaye on June 2nd, 2014, 1:08 pm

"I want to speak to Jaye" Asher intoned making Jaye wince. She recognized that voice, it was the childish pouty voice of the past, the voice that demanded he get his way, a voice that would never work on her father. She was sure if she had been able to see more than his silhouette she would have seen the smile tug at the edges of the deep creases outlining his lips as he remembered as vividly as Jaye the many times Asher had used that voice only two years ago when Jaye had been a foal.

"I need to see her." He demanded further, words biting into the solid wall that was her fathers chest. Her father was invincible, indestructible, magnificent. He was the most powerful thing she knew. Asher couldn't stand a chance.

However, instead of bringing her solace the thought brought her the sizzling pain of guilt. Jaye felt guilt so rarely she barely recognized its creeping presence until it had born itself upon her stomach, legs locking her arms beside her its hands entangling themselves around her neck. Anger and Sadness choked the life from you in moments, guilt was a fickler subtler creature. I slid around you without notice and remained there, perfectly attached in perpetuity slowly sucking the energy of life and permeating each aspect of your existence until mere steps bring waves of guilt. Jaye, didn't know the threat of guilt, had no inclination of its power. As it slid upon her back, grasping and rooting itself in her existence, she allowed it breezily. This uncomfortable sensation shall pass in time

"No. You may not."

"She's my friend! I want to see her!"

"Asher. Now is not the time"

"Why not? How is now not as good as later? Why cant I see her? I've been in her life just a long as you have! I deserve to see her! She's my best friend! And if you wont let me see her then I'll just have to push my way through you! Nothing is going to keep me from keeping her safe. It wasn't her fault! I did just as much as she did! Why are you keeping her from me?" His words had risen in a frenzy each time he was quietly denied until he stood beyond the soft walls screaming at her father. Squeezing her eyes shut Jaye drew into herself and covered her ears tightly. She didn't want to hear his pain, she didn't want to bear it.

This is what a horse does child, it was born to bear. Her fathers voice boomed inside her head, reminding her clearly of her duty. There was nothing to question, nothing to ponder. It was what it was, and that was it. Uncovering her ears Jaye bore it, thought the words tightened a noose around her hearts neck.

"Was it worth it?" Her father intoned as he turned, his shape filling the opening of the tent. That was all there was to be said on the matter and her father quickly left. The opening of the tent the gaping wound in Jayes heart.

She knew her father must be disappointed, equally in her treatment of the horses as Asher. However, once her father was removed from sight and sound a raucous laughter was disguised. "Children...What are you going to do?" He chuckled shrugging of the encounter that had left Jaye so devastated.

Word Count570

Jaye
Hoofbeats on the Horizon

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Khida on July 29th, 2014, 3:24 pm

Jaye

Skill Points
Observation +2
Riding +1
Running +1
Socialization +1
Webbing +1
  • Asher: clueless about herd politics
  • Panicking foals can agitate the entire herd
  • Riding: Carrying double slows a horse
  • Riding: Falling from a running horse
  • Webbing: summoning nearby aid

Asher Nighrunner

You need to deduct expenses for Spring 514 before I can award your grade.

Notes

A neat little thread. It's nice to see something involving the Drykas herds -- in my experience, that aspect of the lifestyle doesn't get nearly enough attention.

Jaye, a couple of small recommendations. You should note in your ledger what season you're deducting expenses for. That will make it easier for graders to check over time. Also, if you're going to directly quote dialogue, I suggest you pick some method for differentiating it from Jaye's own, whether that be color or italics or whatever.

Please PM me if you have any questions or concerns regarding your grade. Also, please edit your request to show this thread has been graded.
Khida
Player

Words: 574944
Joined roleplay: April 14th, 2012, 11:14 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)