Closed Delving into Divinity [Lynx]

Before he can fulfill a request, Jek must first learn more about the gods who walk the city.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Delving into Divinity [Lynx]

Postby Ashar on July 4th, 2014, 12:05 pm

Jek
25th of Summer, 514AV
The Valkalah Library

As Jek stood in front of the Valkalah Library, he was still coming to grips that it was actually him standing there. The last time Jek was in control of his shared body wasn't even five days ago, and yet here he was in control again so soon after. To be able to take agency once again so soon was truly an occasion to venerate, as he doubted Ashar's good mood would last forever.

It was rather strange how the request went down as well. Jek had told Ashar little about his encounter with the Eyktolian named Hirem, and merely mentioned that he desired to do research for someone that would need it soon. Surprisingly, when Jek asked if Ashar was willing to let him take control for a day, Ashar not only agreed but insisted that Jek take control today. For the longest time, Jek was sure he knew his light brother inside and out, but now he was not so sure.

So there he stood - Jek, not Ashar - in front of the Valkalah Library, ready to devote himself to another day of studying its contents. Meanwhile, Ashar groaned loudly within their head.
Wysar, not another trip to the library. I was hoping by research you meant talking to someone, or something - anything - more interesting here.

At least Jek was familiar with this part of Ashar.

That's also on the list, believe me. It is easier to learn from people than books, after all. Although it'd be rude to go directly to a priest or priestess being completely ignorant about their god beforehand, don't you think? Jek pointed out. Though unhappy about it, Ashar had to grumble his agreement, and Jek took that as his cue to enter the library.

Thinking back to Hirem's request a couple days ago, Jek knew already what section he was looking for and how to get there. Though perhaps one of the less popular sections of the library, the section of the divinity was still present. It would see little use though, Jek figured - those who were interested in divinity would visit the temples to commit, and those who were not had no reason to study that from which they would receive no benefit. Of course, there would be those like Jek who wished to know more while remaining uncommitted to any particular religion, but the number of people who would spend their spare time reading were probably greatly outnumbered by those who preferred more social or active pastimes.

So we're here to learn more about Wysar and Akajia, right? Ashar asked as Jek made his way through the library, skipping through the sections and heading in the general direction of the back of the library. You know, with your interests and my profession, you'd think we'd run into their religion a bit more. I mean, you've spent so much time learning the history of Riverfall, I'm surprised you didn't include the gods in your studies. They are, after all, rather fundamental for Riverfall.

Turning a few corners, Jek finally arrived at the section on divinity. A variety of books and tomes lined the shelves, the majority of which were old and showing signs of wear. They are indeed fundamental, Jek agreed as he browsed. However, during the time that you gave me in this body without me having to fight for it was very little back then. I pretty much had to chose which topics to learn of, and at the time the history of our city and its people interested me more than its gods for some reason.

He could hear Ashar quietly grumble his discontent. Despite having rather conflicting natures, neither liked to hear that they were a source of the other's problem - nor did they like to throw blame around haphazardly. Jek wasn't trying to put Ashar on the spot, though. Let's just see if we can find a good introductory book to start with.

Just as he said that, Jek's fingers found the spine of a particularly wide book, though not very thick; its pages were slightly wider than average, leading to Jek's fingers being caught on its cover. It was mildly difficult to read the spine as the edges of the book were fraying, but Jek thought he could read the title as Wysar and Akajia: An Introduction to Riverfall's Gods. Gently, Jek slid the book out of its little alcove within the shelf, doing his best not to bring any more damage to the book than had already been caused. Upon removal, it was clear that the book Jek had chosen was in slightly worse condition than he'd initially believed. Some of the pages had come loose of the binding, and were just stuffed in where they were supposed to be, while other pages simply had large tears that made it hard to read.

You just had to pick the most beat-up book in the library, didn't you? Ashar remarked, though not spitefully. I really hope this little thing won't break right down the middle while we're reading. It'd also suck to have to pay for a replacement.

You intend to read as well? Jek asked as he gingerly held the book under his arm, bringing it to one of the reading tables scattered about in one of the seating areas. He placed the old book on the table right in front of a chair, handling it with tenderness due to a book that was falling apart.

I do, yes. Ashar could feel Jek's response and cut him off. Very much shocking, I know, but your research today is about the two most important deities to Riverfall and the Akalaks as a whole. I stand nothing to lose by reading this stuff, and have a lot to potentially gain from doing so. Besides, it is about time I finally learn more about the gods whose city I am charged to protect.

That seems quite reasonable, Jek replied without a hint of sarcasm. Well, let's have a look, shall we? He moved to handle the front cover of the book, but hesitated from actually touching it just yet. I just wish we had a book that looked more stable than the one we have here.
Ashar is being renovated. Be patient!

"Do not try to fight yourself. Such is the road to chaos."
Image Image Image
Ashar
Pushing onward

Words: 142780
Joined roleplay: June 8th, 2014, 1:04 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Lynx on July 5th, 2014, 9:35 am

A sigh settled upon the Ethaefal's soft lips as her ice blue gaze was drawn to the scales upon the back of her hand, the back of a hand, of which clutched a quill between her pale fingers. The pastel colours of these scales were almost peach in colour, a pastel peach and a pastel sea blue. It felt familiar in nature, like she had seen these scale a million times before being reborn, but she just could not bring forth the memories that involved seeing these scales. Her previous life was a mystery by all means, after all, she had only seen memories of the Konti isle, the barest and briefest flashes of memory. After a moment's paused, she gently placed the quill upon the journal's open page, as the ink upon the nib had already grown dry and closed the book. She spent a lot of her time in The Valkalah Library, working and even spending some time to even do some research of her own. However, upon this day, she had felt the need to simply spend time within its walls to write in her journal, although, that was the task she often had trouble writing in. She could copy the books for the Librarian with ease, as you just had to copy the words written within the book, so then the pages copied, could be bound into a leather bound cover. Although, she was considerably slower at copying, due to the fact that she was still a novice, simply because she had only been reborn a year ago.

Lifting her gaze, she took a moment to swipe back her white hair, her gills along the side of her neck clearly visible for a moment, before her hair settled back along her shoulders once more. She had seated herself at one of the reading tables within the seating area, the quiet within the room obvious except for the occasional cough or turn of the page of a book. It was the silence that she enjoyed, it left her to her own devices and her own thoughts. She kept thinking that maybe, the silence will help her pull some memories from her previous life. So far, she had no such luck, but, she continued to hold on to that small spark of hope, it may just be able to give her clues as to why Leth would have placed her back here upon these plains and why she had found herself outside of Riverfall instead of all of the other coastal cities that lined the water's edges. One day, she would find out, even if she had to wait an eternity till Leth provided her with the answers, or until they fell into her lap, what ever came first.

After a few chimes, her gaze caught sight of an Akalak male. He was tall, with black hair and his skin tone was of a purple hue. He wore simple clothing, clothing that was common among the people and she angled her head slightly as her gaze took notice of the book that was held gingerly under his arm. It wasn't in the greatest of condition, in fact it looked worst for wear, a book that would need to be copied instead of restored and she gently bit down upon her bottom lip. While she did not want to disturb the Akalak male, for they were known for their dangerous behaviours, but that book could very well fall apart at a moment's notice if the male did not know how to handle it with the proper care. She carefully placed the stopper in the ink vial upon her desk and moved to stand up, making sure that her long white dress was not crinkled before she gathered her journal and ink vial up into her arms. She then began to silently weave in between the scattered desks until she reached the one desk where the male had seated himself at. The woman had noticed how he had handled the book with care and she had silently admired this, briefly wondering if he had much experience with books at all. Chances were, as she spied his hand hovering just above the book with hesitation, that maybe he had.

Once she had arrived at his desk, she paused for a tick, a thought passing through her mind that maybe she shouldn't disturb this male, but she didn't like the condition of that book at all and felt that something had to be said. Taking a deep breath, feeling her lungs expand with the intake, she than exhaled, waiting a chime so then the male would notice that she was indeed standing in front of his desk. It was then that she spoke to the male, her tones rather soft to the listening ear. "I'm sorry if I bothered you at all, I just noticed from the desk that I had been seated at, that the book you have before you, is very fragile indeed." She took a moment to draw in another breath before speaking again, "I work here at the library as a scribe and copy the books that need copying and I was wondering if you would allow me to copy that book that you have there before you." She bit down upon her bottom lip, more out of nervousness than anything. "I am however, only a novice at this and it may take a little time, but I would be incredibly grateful if you would give me that time to do that book a great service in copying it before it is beyond reading." She fell silent then, her pale gaze watching the seated male before her and anxiously waited for his response.

The Mind
Is a wealth of triggers
Image Image Image
Active Threads: 3/5
Lynx
The Mind is a Powerful Thing

Words: 70657
Joined roleplay: June 21st, 2014, 10:41 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Ashar on July 9th, 2014, 5:27 pm

Jek

The world just got flipped upside down, Ashar remarked, a grin in his voice. The day has come were my dark brother, Jek, is actually afraid to open and read a book. I thought Wysar would turn green before such a day dawned.

Well have you seen the look of this little thing? Jek asked of his light brother, running very gently the tips of his fingers along the edge of the book. The texture was smooth and worn, which for a book was not a good sign. Generally covers were meant to be a bit sturdier than paper to protect the more delicate contents. The fact that the cover had lost that sturdier feel meant that the book was now much more delicate than Jek would have liked. Gods, this has likely been here forever. Perhaps one of the earliest additions to the library. It could tear as soon as I turn the page.

Ashar was unimpressed. There’s nothing making you choose this partiular book, is there? There’s an entire section we just came from, any of those will do.

That’s true, I guess, Jek conceded, squinting his eyes at the name beneath the title of the book, trying to discern its author. It was difficult to say the least, since the lettering was almost as worn as the cover. But it’s usually the oldest books that are the most promising, and the title of this particular book seems perfect for the kind of information I need. I don’t want to read a tome on either of the gods that goes in depth into their domains and their favors, I just want to get some basic knowledge on the two before I start trying to write about them.

Just as Jek was about to delicately open the front cover, he became aware of a presence just before him. He looked up to see a studious Konti in her plain white dress standing before him, regarding him with timidity. Though she looked reluctant to talk, she’d clearly come here for a reason, since she was eyeing the battered book wearily.
"I'm sorry if I bothered you at all," she said at last, "I just noticed from my seat that the book you have before you is ver fragile indeed." She paused before continuing, maybe to collect herself. Approaching an Akalak always appeared difficult for the other races, for some odd reason. "I work here as a scribe and copy the books that need copying. I would be incredibly grateful if you would give me the time to copy that book before it is beyond reading."

Is it really a job to copy books? Ashar asked, surprised and confused. I mean, I know the value of writing things since that’s how knew knowledge is recorded, but people actually get paid to simply rewrite books? That’s an actual job?

Sometimes your naivete is beyond me, brother, Jek sighed, shaking his head. Too late, he realized that it was not a mental head shake, but that he had actually let his neck gone limp and shook his head at the Konti before him. Quickly he lifted his hands in a gesture of admission, doing his best to smile reassuringly. "Please do," he said. "It would make me happy to see the book rewrote for others to read too. I understand importance of the books being copied and preserved."

His Common wasn’t masterful, but he assumed he got the message across. Just to be sure, he delicately scooped the book up into his hands and held it out for the Konti to take hold of, careful not to grip it too tight for fear of ripping the cover.

"Actually, if you don’t mind," Jek continued after the book was taken from him, standing up to his towering height, "may I company you? I would like very to read the book too, and if I can read while you copy then that would be good for us both, I think. Is that okay?"

Once again, Jek realized that standing up to his full height might not have been the best idea, as it would no doubt be intimidating to the generally shorter Konti. He was entirely unused to interacting with other people, especially with control of the body, so he did not always think his actions through all the way. Again, he made placating gestures with his hands and smiled again, doing his best to put the Konti at ease.

You dog, Ashar said jokingly. You only just met her and already you’re following her around? What kind of horny adolescent are you? The remarks were followed up by a laugh that only Jek could hear, the comments made entirely in jest.

Oh shut up you, Jek replied, wearing a grin. Unless you’re talking about the book, in which case I’d follow it all over the library. Besides, you’re one to talk with your little date a few days back. What was that Konti’s name? Alaia, I believe? Don’t pretend you didn’t enjoy her company very much.

Ashar was about to make a witty reply, but he didn’t have one. So instead, he chuckled. Got me there, he laughed.

Image Image Image
Ashar
Pushing onward

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Lynx on July 13th, 2014, 1:50 pm

Lynx's icy gaze caught the male's head shake and a frown had certainly descended upon the pale woman's brow. It would do the book a great dis-service if he didn't allow her to recopy it, only to let to crumble under those rather large hands of his. It was those hands however, that soothed the frown from her features as they lifted in admission and she suddenly caught sight of the smile that had fallen onto his lips. "Please do, it would make me happy to see the book rewrote for others to read too. I understand importance of the books being copied and preserved." A smile fell into place upon her own soft lips and she angled her head. She wasn't completely one hundred percent sure, but she had a feeling that the common tongue was not his first language.

The Akalak scooped up the book that had previously been resting upon the desk surface before him, only to hold it out towards her. She gently rested her journal upon the book, before her pale hands took the book from him, the weight of books within her own hands almost made a sigh of relief settle upon her lips, instead she held it back and a nod of her head was given. "Indeed, it is important for such texts as this one to be recopied, otherwise the history contained within the pages will be lost and I'd hate to see such a thing happen especially to a book about..." Her words trailed off as she slide the book up along her fore arm, so then it sat balanced in her crook of her left arm, her right hand gently taking her journal off the top of the book's cover to read the badly faded lettering. "Wysar and Akajia: An Introduction to Riverfall's Gods." She had read the title slowly, because of the faded words, but she replaced her journal over the top of the book and then gently gripped the books in both hands just as soon as the male stood up from his chair, his towering form reminding her of the librarian. However, she still was getting used to their towering forms and she took a step back, her head angling upwards to follow his movements as the male spoke again.

"Actually, if you don’t mind, may I company you? I would like very to read the book too, and if I can read while you copy then that would be good for us both, I think. Is that okay?" Lynx watched as a grin would spread across his lips and she briefly wondered what his intentions were, the woman made a mental note to buy a couple of guard dogs one day and maybe to read up more about the Akalaks, seeing as Leth had placed her amongst them. Her smile had faltered when he had stood up, but it soon fell back into place once more and she nodded her head. "You would think that while I work for Zandar and Kvanth, that I would get used to your kind being so... Tall, I guess I haven't done so yet, maybe one day I will. As to your question, of course you can, I don't often get the pleasure of company, especially when I'm recopying a book, it's mostly boring to the on-looker." The woman turned to cross the room to a table that sat by a window and gently placed the books on top of the desk's surface and it was then that she set about gathering the necessary items needed.

A drawing board, a couple of quills with nibs that had already been pre-dressed, a pen knife, a vial of ink and sheets of vellum, for her gaze had taken notice of the particular thickness of the pages within the book and it would only be right to recopy its contents onto the same type of material that had previously been used by the book. Besides, if she made any errors while recopying, she could easily fix the error by scraping the ink off using the pen knife. As she began to hinge the drawing board to the desk, she remembered that she had forgotten to introduce herself and a crimson stain flushed across her cheeks as she finally stood straight up, her icy gaze looking back to the male. "I'm sorry, I should have told you my name, it's Lynx, there is no last name. I just get a little carried away when projects such as this one find their way into my lap." She then slid into the chair, sitting with her back straight and she made sure, that the sun light that fell through the window, fell across her left shoulder. She tucked her journal underneath her seat upon the floor, a book that she wasn't too worried about and she gently peeled back the cover of the worn book still resting upon the desk beside the drawing board. Words, although faded seemed to pour off of the pages at her and she set about writing guidelines for herself upon the sheet of vellum in front of her. "So... Are you interesting in a lot of gods? Or just Wysar and Akajia?" She asked, mostly out of conversation, seeing as having a towering Akalak who would soon be reading over her shoulder, was a little... Uncomfortable.

The Mind
Is a wealth of triggers
Image Image Image
Lynx

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Ashar on August 1st, 2014, 10:21 pm

Jek

Inwardly, Jek had to breathe a sigh of relief that he'd managed to diffuse the misunderstanding caused by his accidental head shake. Little slips like that, forgetting that he was actually in control of the body, were the source of many previous misunderstandings for both himself and Ashar. Fortunately, this time the ensuing awkwardness seemed to have been averted.

I would hardly call it a disastrous situation, though, Ashar chipped in, chuckling at his dark brother's enxiety. Whenever such things happened while he was in control, he would usually shrug it off and let people know it was Jek he was talking to. Jek was the only one who fretted about being misunderstood rather than just blaming it all on Ashar, which should have been an easy fix. Not that the repressed soul really needed to though. You've talked yourself out of it so many times before, one more wouldn't have made any difference.

Just being able to and wanting to are two different things, Jek sighed in response. Besides, there will come a time when a misunderstanding grows into something more serious. It's inevitable.

Ashar sighed himself. You worry too much. We'll deal with that when it comes, and it's not the end of the world if one person doesn't like us. In the meantime, she's saying something.

"Indeed, it is important for such texts as this one to be recopied, otherwise the history contained within the pages will be lost. And I'd hate to see such a thing happen especially to a book about... Wysar and Akajia: An Introduction to Riverfall's Gods."

Jek could not help but notice the delay when the Konti spoke. He understood it was to read the title, but even so to make such a confident statement without knowing what the book was about struck Jek was odd, maybe even a little dishonest. However, he'd have time to read more into that later. Not every little action needed to be over-analyzed, even as he also noticed the expression on her face as he rose to his full height. "You would think that while I work for Zandar and Kvanth, that I would get used to your kind being so... Tall. I guess I haven't done so yet. Maybe one day I will. As to your question, of course you can. I don't often get the pleasure of company, especially when I'm recopying a book; it's mostly boring to the on-looker."

"That is no really an issue," Jek replied, "since I will be reading alongside you as you copy. I can also be rather patient, so you don't need to worry about me interrupting."

With a form of agreement reached, the Konti women went about preparing her materials while Ashar stood waiting beside the table, looking at each tool curiously as she brought it. He was especially interested in the pen knife she brought over. He'd seen one in his father's possession, but he was never quite sure what it was used for. Cutting was not something he saw his father - or any writer - do to any extent. He would have to ask.

Go on, make small talk, said Ashar, mentally nudging his dark brother to do more than just watch the Konti. You're not going to learn any more about her just by looking at her. Ask her about something, or tell her about that buffoon we were stuck with on patrol yesterday.

For a moment, Jek kept to himself. It was sometimes - oftentimes - quite irritating how Ashar refused to think beyond himself. What was particularly frustrating was that Ashar was more than capable of such empathy, just sometimes didn't exercise it. There is plenty that I can learn by watching her, or at least insinuate. First of which is that she is busy, and any attempts at small talk at the moment would likely just be a bother. She's used to working here by the looks of things, since she knows where most of her supplies are. Very dedicated too, that she's not idly chatting. You could take a leaf out of her book, Ashar.

Then the Konti in question turned to him suddenly after gathering what appeared to be quite an accumulation of material, a flush in her cheeks as she looked up at him somewhat icily. Perhaps she was not used to talking to people.
"I'm sorry, I should have told you my name; it's Lynx. I just get a little carried away when projects such as this one find their way into my lap."

Jek smiled and waved away the apology. "No worries, I understand the enthusiasm for things like this. It's an interesting profession I must admit. My father is an author, so I've seen creative writing in action, but copying is something I've yet to witness. I'm interested to see how it differs from my father's more... creative process."

Creative. That was one word for it.

Lynx sat on the chair that Jek himself had recently occupied, making some final preparations and rearranging some things before leaning over her new project. Ashar had gone quiet, thankfully, allowing Ashar to devote his attention to the small desk in front of Lynx and the book that sat there. It passed his mind that his towering height might intimidate the poor Konti, something that he was usually perceptive of. He was reminded when Lynx made some uncomfortable sounds, prompting Jek to smile apologetically and move further to the side so that he was not directly behind her. Perhaps this little endeavor was consuming him a little too much.

"So... Are you interesting in a lot of gods? Or just Wysar and Akajia?" she asked, drawing out guidelines on her writing material.

Jek blinked, then chuckled. He'd not been expecting small talk from someone as into their work as Lynx, but he wasn't about to shun her for wanting to converse. "Well, I am interested in all the gods on some level or another, but currently there's something I've been meaning to do that requires I learn at least a little more about Wysar and Akajia in particular. So this book is of obvious interest to me. I just would like to broaden my understanding of my race's patron deities a bit before I attempt to write comprehensively about them."

Before Jek could settle into a comfortable position from which to read, he found his gaze drawn back to the knife on the table, to which he pointed. "What is that, I've been meaning to ask? I've seen one in my father's possession, but never understood its purpose."

Don't stop there, ask a few questions, Ashar chimed in annoyingly. Jek was about to retort, but managed to restrain himself. After all, Ashar might have a point in trying to learn more about Lynx. Some easygoing conversation might make his presence seem less intimidating.

"What about yourself? Are there any particular deities you are interested in actively?" Jek asked, putting on a warm smile that he might look a bit more comforting.

Image Image Image
Ashar
Pushing onward

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Lynx on August 5th, 2014, 4:55 am

A gently smile carried onto her lips as the young ethaefal listened to the male’s words, her pale blue gaze focused upon the sheet of vellum in front of her and the task at hand. Because she was a novice, she had to really focus upon the task at hand, however, she could talk and listen, it just meant that her process of copying the text over, would be a little slower. As soon as she finished the guide lines for the sheet of vellum her gaze flickered briefly to the male before she shook her, creative writing did not differ a great deal from copying. ”So your father created stories?” She questioned before she continued on to pick up her quill. ”I would imagine that the process between creative writing and copying would be much similar, the only difference is that creative writing is mostly made up, a plot that never happened and never been written before. Copying doesn’t use that kind of brain power.” She glanced at the sheet of vellum, with the guidelines upon its page just waiting for her to begin. ”Copying is just the copying of text that has already been written.” She nodded her head as she opened the vial of ink and lightly dipped the nib of her quill into its depths. She lifted her quill to start copying the text from the original book, onto the clean page before her, taking her time to write the words.

The moment that she blotched a letter, she would set the quill down and picked up the pen knife and she chuckled softly. ”This here pen knife, is a novice’s best friend.” A soft blush tainted her pale cheeks at this and she turned back to the page before her. She used the sharp edge to gently scrape off the blotched ink from the piece of vellum. Once that was completed, she continued talking, ”A pen knife can be used for trimming and cutting. At the moment, I only have it here, because as a novice, I’m bound to blotch the ink or make a wobbly line that I do not want. So I can use the pen knife to gently scrape off the blotched ink from the page. Although, I do have to be careful to not cut into the actual page itself or accidentally tear the page, because the pen knives are generally kept very sharp. I have actually cut myself with one of these before, a product of becoming tired when working for too long.”

She gently picked up her quill again and dipped it into the vial of ink before continuing on to copy the words. Copying didn’t need a great deal of brain power like creative writing, it just needed a lot of concentration on her part and so she used this small time while she wasn’t talking to think through what had been said and what she could tell the male in regards to his question. This Akalak is going to write about their race’s own gods? She gently bit down upon her bottom lip as another blotch occurred and she gently set the quill down to correct this error with the pen knife. She gently pressed the sharp end of the pen knife to the page and gently scraped off the blotched ink. She sat the pen knife down upon the desk before she began to answer the male, her gaze quickly glancing over the words that she had written so far. ”I only have one deity that I’m interested in, some might say that I should be interested in the ones that those of Riverfall seem to enjoy, but alas not. Leth is the only god that I am interested in, his tale is inspiring in a way.” Her gaze flickered to the male before she glanced back to the page and picked up the quill once again, ”However, I suppose, what one person would consider inspiring, could be considered tragic to another.”

Common | Kontinese | Thoughts
The Mind
Is a wealth of triggers
Image Image Image
Lynx

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Ashar on August 8th, 2014, 5:48 pm

Jek

Jek liked to consider himself well-read, and consensus or not he had in fact read a great many books in his lifetime. Far more than was usual, considering how uncommon books were in the first place. He attributed it to having two writers as parents. It was difficult not to be reading, what with all the books they left behind, either fiction or non-fiction. After a certain point, reading became easier and more rote, less about identifying the letters on the page and more about internalizing what they meant after the fact.

So as Lynx copied at her steady pace, which was undoubtedly wise for her level, Ashar's eyes were scanning the page quickly and processing it all quite quick. He was already nearly done with the first page by the time Lynx had gotten around to asking the first question. Not that Jek minded, it just meant he could focus more on chatting with Lynx.

Showoff.

"So your father created stories?"

"Still does, in fact. Wouldn't stop if Wysar himself asked him to," Jek replied smilingly, pausing in his rapid scan of the book before him to listen to Lynx's thoughts. It did make sense, though Ashar would likely have argued that having to create a whole new story was enough to make a huge distinctive difference between copying and writing creatively. After all, writing was all about the thinking process, whereas copying was - as Jek understood - somewhat more mechanical. Lynx was busy, though, so it would be rude to disturb her by dragging her into a philosophical debate.

As Lynx continued working and Jek continued reading, the former blotched something and reached for the object Ashar had asked about earlier. Almost done, the Akalak paused once more to listen to Lynx's explanation, grateful in the back of his head for Ashar's silence. It was easier to read without someone constantly distracting you.

"This here pen knife is a novice’s best friend," Lynx said as she softly began brushing away at the inky blotch she disliked. Jek paid attention to the way she angled the little blade so as to not put too much pressure on the page, which would risk tearing or cutting. Frankly, from the sounds of it, using a pen knife effectively sounded moderately difficult enough to warrant just writing on a new page if not too much progress was lost. Though it might seem like a waste of paper, could not one always just scratch all the ink off of those pages to be reused? Or was it a different matter when the ink dried? Or perhaps is was just too great a waste of effort.

With the mistake effectively erased, the pen knife was replaced and Lynx went back to her work. Jek, for his part, had finished to the end of the page, and so stood quietly and patiently for Lynx to finish her copying. In the meantime, he wondered if there was anything he should be thinking about with which to better engage the Konti. Something more interesting, for example.

"I only have one deity that I’m interested in," Lynx said as she scanned her current progress. "However, I suppose what one person would consider inspiring could be considered tragic to another."

Looking sideways at her, Jek chewed on her words for a bit before answering. "Well, I don't think it's all that important everyone worship the same gods in here. It's not Riverian to indoctrinate people into our faith. As for Leth, well, what is his story exactly? Would you mine sharing what you can, just to satisfy some curious stranger?"

Image Image Image
Ashar
Pushing onward

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Lynx on August 11th, 2014, 5:11 am

Slowly, she would reach the end of the page and she set the page aside, after a careful inspection to make sure that there were no mistakes. It was then that she turned the page of the book, her touch light and brief so then the page would not crumble underneath her fingers and she set about lining the next sheet of blank vellum. Always listening to the male and always conscious of where he stood, for his large form reminded her just how easy it could be if he just wanted to crush any of the bones within her body. He had asked about Leth and her work paused for a moment as her gaze drifted to the window, before she looked back to the sheet of vellum in front of her and she continued. Not many asked about Leth for they were never truly interested, this male had asked about Leth and she had to take a moment to gather her thoughts.

The ethaefal picked up her quill to dip it into the ink vial and she continued to copy the words from the original book. Copying, that’s all it was. Drawing up guidelines on paper, a quill dipped in ink, quill meets paper and the words are copied. If a mistake was made, the pen knife was picked up to gently scrape away the mistake and then the process of copying continued. It was a relaxing process, for it was not too complicated for one such as herself. ”Leth is the god of the moon that shines brightly above in the night sky, he represents, change, thought and reflection. One day, he fell in love with Syna, the twilight times were the times where they could come together to enjoy each other’s embrace. Once or even sometimes twice a year, they would steal away to be together for a day, leaving everything in darkness.” She paused as she lifted the quill and glared at the blotched ink. She set the quill upon the desk and picked up the pen knife and worked at gently removing the blotched ink. After that was done, she picked up the quill again and continued on with her work. ”However The Valterrian had a devastating effect upon the two and Leth was injured defending Syna. The two retreated, plunging the world in darkness as Syna attended to Leth’s wound. Once the two returned to their duties, the glow of the moon and the sun returned, but on the anniversary of The Valterrian, the moon turns a blood red to remind all of those of the sacrifice and loss.”

A gentle smile curved her lips then as she placed the quill upon the desk, taking the time to survey the work that she had done so far. A couple of mistakes had been made as she had talked, but they had also been corrected as soon as they had been made. She wasn’t going to let talking make her work sloppy, this was something that she was determined about. However she was beginning to tire, to get fatigued and she thought that she had best leave it at that, even though she had not finished two pages. The more she grew tired, the more that mistakes would crop up within her work, which would only hamper the progress.

Common | Kontinese | Thoughts
The Mind
Is a wealth of triggers
Image Image Image
Lynx

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Ashar on August 12th, 2014, 9:08 pm

Jek

Since Jek had finished reading both open pages, he had no trouble straightening up as he listened to Lynx recount her tale of Leth. The Akalak had known only the bare minimum about the god of the moon: that he represented change, and lit up the night sky. All the rest of his tale had been unknown to the dark brother, from his romance with Syna (thought that made sense) and his representation of introverted thought. As Jek listened, he slowly came to the decision that Leth might be a god that he would like to know more about, perhaps even praise and offer thanks to.

The story of the Valterrian was one he had heard before, but this particular aspect of it had been unknown to the scholarly Akalak. Had the world really been plunged into darkness for so long? How in the void would anyone have survived such a catastrophe? The stars, maybe, but even then that was a dreadful darkness to fall across the land.

I can't imagine how terrified people must have been, Ashar mused, joining with Jek to offer his thoughts. I imagine any Evantian Akalaks would have had a bit less trouble, but even so. Just how catastrophic was this Valterrian?

It was very catastrophic. The cataclysm had us restart civilization entirely. Apparently, it was more than just pure destruction as well. I wonder just what happened during all that turmoil. An ocean was created, the sky went dark, what else possibly could have happened?

Maybe you should look into that.

Jek was mildly surprised at the interest Ashar showed in the subject of the Valterrian, but pleasantly so. What was of greater surprise was that he had suggested Jek actually study the topic. For so long, Ashar had been focused on refining himself and his fighting, and spending almost every day to do so. This was one of those rare occasions where he showed an interest in something that didn't include something getting bashed. If you say so. Perhaps I should collect these events and write about it, but after Hirem's request.

That seemed to be it for Lynx, as she finished up the pages she had been copying. However, to Jek's concern, she also seemed to be good for the day, and began packing up her materials. Was copying really so difficult that only a couple pages could be done at a time? He knew so little about the craft.

"Are you finished for the day?" he asked. "If so, may I finish the book before returning it?"

Image Image Image
Ashar
Pushing onward

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Lynx on August 16th, 2014, 4:05 am

A gentle smile curved her lips as she listened to his words, slowly, she gently closed the book and stood, holding it out to the Akalak. ”Indeed I am. Being a novice at this type of thing, I tire easy especially after a bell and I unfortunately need to take frequent breaks. I tend to consider it a set-back really, but, hopefully with more time and practice, I will become faster and will be able to sit and copy for longer periods of time.” The moment that the male took the book her hands fell to her sides as her pale gaze watched him for a moment before she set about gathering up her tools and the sheets of vellum that she had so far written on. She admired her own work for a moment before she placed the two sheets on top of the plain vellum, to keep it all together.

She looked over the male for a moment, her gaze thoughtful and she gently bite her bottom lip, she didn’t want to sound rude or to anger him but she really wanted to ask anyway. ”Is it hard being what you are? I mean, I don’t want you to think that I think that I know all about your race, because I don't, I just find it curious really. Other races… Other than my own of course, I find rather interesting especially in the way their minds work.” She angled her head slightly to the right as she blinked for a moment He didn’t seemed agitated and there was nothing in the way that he stood that indicated that he was wasn’t agitated or anything, so that had to be a good sign. Right? ”Anyway, I may not be of a great deal of help, but if you ever need someone to help you pour over books and to make notes, I’ll be more than happy to help.” She shifted upon the spot for a moment before she gently packed the things upon the desk together and she would leave them in the back so then she could easily find them once she returned back to it later that day or the morrow.

Once she had returned to the desk, she gently picked up her journal from underneath her chair and she frown some-what at its cover. Indeed not a word had been written and although she had an over-whelming feeling of a need to write within its pages, the words would just simply not come forth to be spilled upon the pages. Perhaps another day it might be easier to put forth words, but for now… She looked back to the male and offered another smile. ”I can normally be found here at the library, most of the time I prefer to work after the third bell in the afternoon till late at night.” She then nodded her head and turned away. She didn’t want to distract the male and his reading, for she knew that when she was reading she would prefer to be left alone.

OOCSorry for its shortness, I have been having inspiration shortages of late…

The Mind
Is a wealth of triggers
Image Image Image
Lynx

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook