Shouta's Dojo

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Shouta's Dojo

Postby Shouta on February 7th, 2013, 2:10 am

"Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a hard one."

Bruce Lee

Shouta
Of the Crane and Fox

Words: 59205
Joined roleplay: January 27th, 2013, 10:11 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Shouta's Dojo

Postby Shouta on February 7th, 2013, 4:57 am

Okay so I don't really know how to start these off so ill just say a little about some of what I'm not going to call role models, but maybe 'ethos models'. So, if anyone cares about stuff like that you can post some of your own 'ethos models' and say why they mean something to you.

First is, as hinted above, Bruce Lee. Lee was born in Chinatown, San Francisco, and was largely responsible for the interest in Chinese martial arts in the U.S. but that is not why I respect the man. Bruce Lee was one of the most amazingly dedicated people. He did not only preach his philosophy of self improvement through conscious effort and dedication, not only in the physical, but any aspect of life. He believed any knowledge gained lead to self-knowledge and he expressed this through his martial arts. He was also extremely badass! Some of his amazing physical feats included: Lee could snatch a dime off someone's open palm and replace it with a penny all before they had time to close their hand! Lee could land a punch in around five hundredths of a second (0.05 second) from 3 feet away, and from 5 feet away it was around eight hundredths of a second (0.08 second)!!!! He was this capable all because of his personal discipline and purge of laziness. So yea, I'm not sure how concise this is or how well i've gotten my point about him across, but bruce lee is definitely a man to learn from...

Next would be a man named Jacklyn Lucas. Now like myself, Jacklyn Lucas was a marine, though in WW2. He was able to enlist at the age of 14, lying and saying he was 17. Jacklyn was promoted to PFC (Private First Class) but was told his unit was not deploying to the Pacific. Jacklyn stowed away on a ship heading for the Pacific and his unit reported him as UA(Unauthorized Absence) and thirty days later designated him a Deserter and offered a reward for his capture. On board ship he reported into the Cpt. of the ship and the officer folded him into the 5th Marine Division. He turned 17 six days before the assault on Iwo Jima. The day after the assault, not crawling through the sands of a foreign island, Lucas and his fireteam were ambushed. And I'll copy and paste the citation for the Medal of Honor he earned that day.

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving with the First Battalion, Twenty-sixth Marines, Fifth Marine Division, during action against enemy Japanese forces on Iwo Jima, Volcano Islands 20 February 1945. While creeping through a treacherous, twisting ravine which ran in close proximity to a fluid and uncertain front line on D-plus+1 Day, Private First Class Lucas and three other men were suddenly ambushed by a hostile patrol which savagely attacked with rifle fire and grenades. Quick to act when the lives of the small group were endangered by two grenades which landed directly in front of them, Private First Class Lucas unhesitatingly hurled himself over his comrades upon one grenade and pulled the other one under him, absorbing the whole blasting force of the explosions in his own body in order to shield his companions from the concussion and murderous flying fragments. By his inspiring action and valiant spirit of self-sacrifice, he not only protected his comrades from certain injury or possible death, but also enabled them to rout the Japanese patrol and continue the advance. His exceptionally courageous initiative and loyalty reflect the highest credit upon Private First Class Lucas and the United States Naval Service.

To me PFC Lucas represents the fact that there are things in this world more important than our own well being. And words like honor and courage are not only dramatic honorifics that should be laid down upon just anything. Men have given weight to our creed, Honor Courage, and Commitment, with their sweat, blood, and tears. And most importantly, that sometimes there is a right reason to fight, but to never fight without the right reason.
Shouta
Of the Crane and Fox

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Shouta's Dojo

Postby Shouta on February 20th, 2013, 12:05 am

Shouta
Of the Crane and Fox

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Shouta's Dojo

Postby Bethsyliss on February 23rd, 2013, 10:10 pm

I don't have any role models or ethos models, but people I admire for being what they are. Having a model means you're imperfect and they are. It might be the case, but perfection is defined by one's own standards. You're only perfect if you fully are in actuality what you are in potential. Really one's inner self should be one's ethos model. I do appreciate that you replaced "role" with "ethos" though. That way you make it about values, and not about roles like in the theater where you're supposed to act like somebody else when you really are not.

I admire Madonna. She is (usually) not afraid to speak up for what she believes in, fought the hell for what she wanted so badly, and prides herself on being who and what she is. Also, she's got the most penetrating gaze. It's pretty frightening.

I admire Laozi for holding wisdom beyond belief. The sparse teachings he left behind him are among the most valuable writings the world has ever known. The knowledge they contain is near to inextinguishable. His wisdom is a gift. He could have withheld it, but for some reason he didn't, and I am grateful for that. May he rest in peace.

I admire Sigmund Freud because of the legacy that he left. His works were flawed, his theories sometimes a bit off, but he paved the way for something beautiful -- maimed perhaps by certain practitioners, but beautiful nonetheless. The task which he was fated to bear on his shoulders was not a mere job, because it required him to delve deep inside of himself to witness the worst horrors of all. When listening to people, he could hear what they weren't even aware they were saying, and that's impressive. His words, and, more importantly, his silence, were like a healing magic that could transcend the biology of a human being. May he rest in peace.

I admire Dalida, a beautiful woman who fought for acceptance in her own peculiar way, but upon whom the tragedies of life just kept piling up beyond her ability to take it. She has given more love throughout her life than her heart has ever held. May she rest in peace.

Lastly I would like to say that I admire every person who isn't afraid of their inner beauty, as well as every person who strives to make it through each day even though life is hard. So that's a lot of people I admire, but, then again, what's not to admire?
Bethsyliss
Player

Words: 142748
Joined roleplay: February 1st, 2013, 7:43 pm
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Shouta's Dojo

Postby Shouta on July 6th, 2013, 8:59 pm

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.
-Edgar Allan Poe

Zdzislaw Beksinski-1981

I feel the dark imaginings of Poe and Lovecraft, both men from my neck of the woods have been the foundation for my passion in writing. Poe was an artist who gave his entire life to his work, and when he could not find inspiration he may have turned to drugs to find it, but he never had a higher priority than writing for the story's sake. He was bold in his exploration of the human mind's darker side.

Lovecraft was a pillar of horror and was able to humble me at a young age with his precise and masterful use of words. As a youth I was often dumbfounded be writers classical style and use of expansive words and archaic prose. Lovecraft could weave words with the best of them, but still in a way that easily created an image in even a young boy's mind. These two dark writers' imaginings have influenced horror and fantasy across generations and you can find their ideas in movies, books, boardgames, and even videogames today.

I have no particular love of horror. In fact, I rarely enjoy horror movies, but the struggle that Lovecraft creates with the human condition and the search for one's own sanity and world sense they both hint at in some of the most fascinating writing to think reader. I don't know what made me post this little blurb, maybe it was because i just bought Lovecraft's Necronomicon and have been re-inspired by his mastery of the english language and the terrors that pull at the heart.
Shouta
Of the Crane and Fox

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Shouta's Dojo

Postby Pandaemus on November 8th, 2013, 3:36 am

A friend in chat linked this quote specifically for me today. Niall Hammerfist! Thanks buddy. I decided it struck a chord with me and I thought I'd share it with the rest of our writer friends here on Miz.

"Through a Glass, Darkly"
General George S. Patton, Jr.

Through the travail of the ages,
Midst the pomp and toil of war,
I have fought and strove and perished
Countless times upon this star.

In the form of many people
In all panoplies of time
Have I seen the luring vision
Of the Victory Maid, sublime.

I have battled for fresh mammoth,
I have warred for pastures new,
I have listed to the whispers
When the race trek instinct grew.

I have known the call to battle
In each changeless changing shape
From the high souled voice of conscience
To the beastly lust for rape.

I have sinned and I have suffered,
Played the hero and the knave;
Fought for belly, shame, or country,
And for each have found a grave.

I cannot name my battles
For the visions are not clear,
Yet, I see the twisted faces
And I feel the rending spear.

Perhaps I stabbed our Savior
In His sacred helpless side.
Yet, I've called His name in blessing
When after times I died.

In the dimness of the shadows
Where we hairy heathens warred,
I can taste in thought the lifeblood;
We used teeth before the sword.

While in later clearer vision
I can sense the coppery sweat,
Feel the pikes grow wet and slippery
When our Phalanx, Cyrus met.

Hear the rattle of the harness
Where the Persian darts bounced clear,
See their chariots wheel in panic
From the Hoplite's leveled spear.

See the goal grow monthly longer,
Reaching for the walls of Tyre.
Hear the crash of tons of granite,
Smell the quenchless eastern fire.

Still more clearly as a Roman,
Can I see the Legion close,
As our third rank moved in forward
And the short sword found our foes.

Once again I feel the anguish
Of that blistering treeless plain
When the Parthian showered death bolts,
And our discipline was in vain.

I remember all the suffering
Of those arrows in my neck.
Yet, I stabbed a grinning savage
As I died upon my back.

Once again I smell the heat sparks
When my Flemish plate gave way
And the lance ripped through my entrails
As on Crecy's field I lay.

In the windless, blinding stillness
Of the glittering tropic sea
I can see the bubbles rising
Where we set the captives free.

Midst the spume of half a tempest
I have heard the bulwarks go
When the crashing, point blank round shot
Sent destruction to our foe.

I have fought with gun and cutlass
On the red and slippery deck
With all Hell aflame within me
And a rope around my neck.

And still later as a General
Have I galloped with Murat
When we laughed at death and numbers
Trusting in the Emperor's Star.

Till at last our star faded,
And we shouted to our doom
Where the sunken road of Ohein
Closed us in it's quivering gloom.

So but now with Tanks a'clatter
Have I waddled on the foe
Belching death at twenty paces,
By the star shell's ghastly glow.

So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

And I see not in my blindness
What the objects were I wrought,
But as God rules o'er our bickerings
It was through His will I fought.

So forever in the future,
Shall I battle as of yore,
Dying to be born a fighter,
But to die again, once more.
Common - Nader-canoch - Hallucination Voices - Crail

Pandaemus
Skitsofrantic!!!

Words: 179130
Joined roleplay: October 23rd, 2013, 4:17 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Donor (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Shouta's Dojo

Postby Pandaemus on November 16th, 2013, 11:32 am

This song by Linkin Park paints a very accurate portrait of the type of mentality I want to develop for Pandaemus!

Pandaemus
Skitsofrantic!!!

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Shouta's Dojo

Postby Pandaemus on November 16th, 2013, 11:33 am

Here is another I like to listen to when I'm writing for Pan, just to keep in mind where the character is going in life! :)

Pandaemus
Skitsofrantic!!!

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Shouta's Dojo

Postby Pandaemus on July 18th, 2014, 8:02 am

Okay so today in chat I caused, in typical chaotic manner, a rap battle to unfold betwixt Shijara and Voodoo. They had some pretty epic lines and I was going to join in, but I am not fast on the rhyming. So instead I wrote a small rap that for lack of a better place, I will post here for my own amusement. Keep in mind it is a OOC rap in a 'rap-battle style' based on my PC's IC beliefs...

You’ve all had your fun, but now I’m here and it’s done.
This is your warning, leave Sahova alone.
You loving life, kicking back in yo' sunshine city,
I’m evil as hell, and I take no pity!

You’ve got it good with admirable intentions,
But here on Sahova we only deal in ambitions.
Tryin' to be good while just getting older,
I'm immortal and it's all thanks to big Uldr.

So here let me preach, let me spit you the jist,
We mean, we bad, we antagonists.
Call yo’ knights and heroes to battle yo' fears,
It don’t matter, I’ll wear yo' flesh in a few years.

So stick to yo' pubs and yo' make-out sessions,
I’m over here makin’ some undead processions.
Stay away from the darkness, stay in the light,
Get outta my way, ‘cause I live for the night.

Pandaemus
Skitsofrantic!!!

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Shouta's Dojo

Postby Pandaemus on July 18th, 2014, 7:36 pm

PERSONALITY TYPE: INTJ

So I took the personality test that has been floating around on behalf of Pandaemus, which was hard because he differs from me quite a bit in his mindset. The main point I get from the INTJ personality is that they are plagued with contradictions, which fits Pan pretty well. They are the 'Bookworms' and the 'analysts', the cynics but at the same time the dreamers.

Some famous INTJ according to the website... (Quite amusing to think about)

1)Vladimir Putin... O.o

2)Augustus Caesar!

3)Hannibal, the invader of Rome.

4)Also Hannibal the movie character!

5)Thomas Jefferson (Woo America!)

6)ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER... I'll be back!

FULL DESC. OF INTJIt’s lonely at the top, and being one of the rarest and most strategically capable personality types, INTJs know this all too well. INTJs form just two percent of the population, and women of this personality type are especially rare, forming just 0.8% of the population – it is often a challenge for them to find like-minded individuals who are able to keep up with their relentless intellectualism and chess-like maneuvering. INTJs are imaginative yet decisive, ambitious yet private, amazingly curious, but only if their interest is piqued.

With a natural thirst for knowledge that shows itself early in life, INTJs are often given the title of “bookworm” as children. While this may be intended as an insult by their peers, they more than likely identify with it and are even proud of it, greatly enjoying their broad and deep body of knowledge. INTJs enjoy sharing what they know as well, confident in their mastery of their chosen subjects, but owing to their Intuitive (N) and Judging (J) traits, they prefer to design and execute a brilliant plan within their field rather than share opinions on “uninteresting” distractions like gossip.

A paradox to most observers, INTJs are able to live by glaring contradictions that nonetheless make perfect sense – from a rational perspective. For example, INTJs are simultaneously the most starry-eyed idealists and the bitterest of cynics, a seemingly impossible conflict. But this is because INTJ types tend to believe that with effort, intelligence and consideration, nothing is impossible, while at the same time they believe that people are too lazy, short-sighted or self-serving to actually achieve those fantastic results. Yet that cynical view of reality is unlikely to stop an interested INTJ from achieving a result they believe to be relevant.

INTJs radiate self-confidence and an aura of mystery, and their insightful observations, original ideas and formidable logic enable them to push change through with sheer willpower and force of personality. At times it will seem that INTJs are bent on deconstructing and rebuilding every idea and system they come into contact with, employing a sense of perfectionism and even morality to this work. Anyone who doesn’t have the talent to keep up with INTJs’ processes, or worse yet, doesn’t see the point of them, is likely to immediately and permanently lose their respect.

Rules, limitations and traditions are anathema to the INTJ personality type – everything should be open to questioning and reevaluation, and if they see a way, INTJs will often act unilaterally to enact their technically superior, sometimes insensitive, and almost always unorthodox methods and ideas. This isn’t to be misunderstood as impulsiveness – INTJs will strive to remain rational no matter how attractive the end goal may be, and every idea, whether generated internally or soaked in from the outside world, must pass the ruthless and ever-present “Is this going to work?” filter. This mechanism is applied at all times, to all things and all people, and this is often where INTJ personality types run into trouble.

INTJs are brilliant and confident in bodies of knowledge they have taken the time to understand, but unfortunately the social contract is unlikely to be one of those subjects. White lies and small talk are hard enough as it is for a type that craves truth and depth, but INTJs will go so far as to see many social conventions as downright stupid. Ironically, it is often best for them to remain where they are comfortable – out of the spotlight – where the natural confidence prevalent in INTJs as they work with the familiar can serve as its own beacon, attracting people, romantically or otherwise, of similar temperament and interests.

INTJs are defined by their tendency to move through life as though it were a giant chess board, pieces constantly shifting with consideration and intelligence, always assessing new tactics, strategies and contingency plans, constantly outmaneuvering their peers in order to maintain control of a situation while maximizing their freedom to move about. This isn’t meant to suggest that INTJs act without conscience, but to many Feeling (F) types, INTJs’ distaste for acting on emotion can make it seem that way, and it explains why many fictional villains (and misunderstood heroes) are modeled on this personality type.

Pandaemus
Skitsofrantic!!!

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes