Flashback Drawing the Iron

Altos is taught the way's of the forge by his Grandsire

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Kingdom of Sultros is made up of five cities; Sultros, Vizerian, Coglias, Terras and Pitrius along with their own Citadels. In addition, the Kingdom encompasses hundreds of square miles of mountainous, nearly inhospitable land. Trading posts, border posts and a number of unique, exotic and often dangerous sites exist both above ground and below.

Drawing the Iron

Postby Altos Ironheart Coglias on March 13th, 2014, 8:13 am

Winter, 501
Coglias Citadel, Kalea

The dry heat that was always the norm in his clan's forge made for an exhausting day work. Clang. He brought down the giant sledgehammer to the spot that had been pointed out by his Grandsire. Ting Ting Ting. He took a breath and swung yet again. Clang. This kind of work was not usually found within a Isurian forge but his Grandsire believed in learning every aspect of his beloved trade. Ting Ting Ting. He also saw as an effective training method, his students would learn properties of the metal by watching as well as gain a basic understanding of how the forge worked. Clang. Not to mention the physical strength required to be a smith.

"That is enough for now Altos" the somber old man proceeded to pick up the piece of iron off of the anvil, which by now had begun to lose it's bright glow of heat. Artis picked it up with his vibrant green arm as if it were a regular unheated piece of ore and placed it back into the searing heat of the forge.

"Yes, ser" Altos spoke softly and respectfully to the man. It had become a trait amongst his family that especially while learning from a master you kept silent save for responding to questions or asking ones of your own. He hung the sledgehammer to it's rungs on the wall. The rest of the tools were also either hanging or stored neatly in their respective places. Looking towards his Grandsire he took a moment to relax his body and rest from the pounding he had been doing for hours. After a few measly minutes Artis began examining Altos. He seemed to come to a decision with a small nod and spoke his thoughts.

"Today you will begin learning the basics of shaping a blade" Glancing towards the ore in the fire every now and then he continued his explanation. "We will start with drawing, there are two techniques you may use. One is simply using the flat of your hammer to flatten out the metal." Reaching in to the forge he maneuvered the iron so that it was being heated evenly. "This method is lengthy and tiring but usually enables you to have more control during the process. The second method is called Fullering, you use the peen to create an indentation and you flatten it out which is a much faster way to shape the metal."

"Grab the heavier hand hammer and come. The iron is just about ready." Motioning towards on of the hammer's laying on the table. Altos rushed to grab the hammer almost stumbling in his haste. He had not expected that his training would begin earnest today. He could not hide his excitement as a grin became plastered on his face and his body tensed. "Relax, boy" his Grandsire sighed "Remember to take it slow, listen, learn, and by the grace of Izurdin have some patience." The reprimend though a gentle one served to remind Altos that he was here to learn. "Yes, Grandsire."

Artis placed the iron on the anvil. It was about a foot and a half long and about an inch thick, the striking had already done it's job by making a generally flat surface and now it was time to refine it. With the direction of his Grandsire he spent the next few hours in the blistering heat of the forge hammering away at the lump of medal till the shape of a blade began to come through.
"me" "you" "Ser Logan"
Altos Ironheart Coglias
Squire of the Syliran Knights

Words: 54027
Joined roleplay: March 11th, 2014, 7:38 pm
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Drawing the Iron

Postby Raien Ironarm Pitrius on July 19th, 2014, 10:50 pm

XP Award!

Name: Altos Ironheart Coglias

XP Award:
Blacksmithing +1
Body Building +1
Weaponsmithing +1

Lore Award:
Alto's Grandsire: A Gentle yet Firm Teacher
Blacksmithing: The Exhausting Dry Heat of a Forge
Body Building: Forging is Quite the Workout
Ironheart Tradition: Quiet Respect
Weaponsmithing: Drawing a Blade (Basic)
Weaponsmithing: Fullering
Weaponsmithing: Slow and Steady, Patience is Key

Injuries:
Sore Muscles: Altos's muscles will be sore from this strenuous training for the next week or so. A day of rest is recommended, but in no way required.

Ledger/Items Gained and Lost:

Altos's First Blade: A relatively unimpressive piece of iron. It holds the obvious shape of a blade, however it is rather difficult to sharpen, or to even force it to keep its edge thereafter. Additionally there are multiple deformities throughout its body and it is simply nothing more than a beginner's work. This being said, it would probably be best not to use it extensively in any real combat.
Note: Feel free to keep this for sentimental value, or just have your Grandsire "keep" it.

Grader Comments:
A nice read, short and to the point. I couldn't award all that much, but I gave what I could. I also threw a Body-Building point in there, since you were a novice, and because it was strenuous work.

P.S
I know you haven't exactly been active lately. But I wanted to go ahead and cut through the list, and since your spring costs were deducted, and everything was in order. I went ahead and granted you a few grades. ;)
Raien Ironarm Pitrius
Blackarm the Strong

Words: 109742
Joined roleplay: January 5th, 2014, 8:54 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets