A Furry Friend (Closed)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

A Furry Friend (Closed)

Postby Kayiri on August 22nd, 2010, 6:09 pm

66th Day of Summer, 510 AV

Today was the day. Within his Pavilion, he was finally seen worthy of a hunting companion. He had finally finished the seemingly-impossible list of challenges he had to complete that he *Pavilion* presented, let alone the breeders themselves!

He was up ripe and early in the morning, washing his face, combing his hair, pulling it back into a surprisingly masculine pony tail, putting his sword on his hip and his shield on his back. Feeling pleased with his appearance as a warrior, he exited the Pavilion.

Calmly, he walked over to the herd of horses that followed his Pavilion, whistling sharply. Serenity came trotting over to him, whinnying loudly as she stopped. He smiled, patting her flank lovingly, kissing her muzzle. He strapped the Yvas onto her, climbing onto her back. He then gently urged her onwards, arriving at the Hunter's Pavilion a few minutes later.

He dismounted, trusting the Mare to roam outside of the Pavilion whilst he went inside. Kayiri entered cautiously, looking around curiously.

He approached the man who looked most in charge, speaking at a normal speed and with a polite tone.

"Excuse me, sir, I have finally been granted permission by the Ankal of my Pavilion to come to attempt the Ritual," Kayiri said, referring to the ritual that had to be completed before one could obtain a hunting companion. "If you have the time, could you please point me to whom I may speak with about this?"
Kayiri
The Prideful Drykas

Words: 114225
Joined roleplay: December 21st, 2009, 2:35 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Trash Medal (1)

A Furry Friend (Closed)

Postby Tundris on September 2nd, 2010, 2:35 am

A tall man turned around to face Kayiri, and a scoffed laugh spread across his face. Saying nothing, the man walked circles around him, inspecting his body and clothing before looking into his face and eyes. He even sniffed Kayiri, taking note of his scent; could he smell on Kayiri the last place he ventured through?

"I'm Andrel Do'jaw, a popular hunter and hunting dog breeder of the emerald clan. My wife Yilra of the amethyst clan is as good with hunting dogs as she is with her riding, I'd say she has a gift of being able to communicate with them. She can teach you a lot, give you some tips on how to train your dog to listen to track and hunt down prey."

The hunter spoke matter a factly and then left the pavilion to come upon a small field of hunting dogs. Kayiri who followed him could see that several trainers were practising various routines and techniques to teach the dogs sound signals, grassland sign and discipline.

"If you wish to be trained, come back to our pavilion with me. We have a few dogs to choose from that are mostly trained. You will mostly need to learn how to connect with your dog, establish a connection that can at times be as strong as a bond between a man and his strider."
Tundris
Mother Drykas

Words: 59440
Joined roleplay: December 13th, 2009, 10:30 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Trailblazer (1)

A Furry Friend (Closed)

Postby Kayiri on September 10th, 2010, 2:34 am

Kayiri raised a curious, and slightly disturbed, eyebrow as the mysterious man walked around him, even going so far as to bring his nose next to him to sniff him. Kayiri's gut told him to withdraw from the close inspection, but he stood stalwart.

"and I am Kayiri of the Skyweaver Pavilion of the Diamond clan, proud warrior of our people," Kayiri spoke in return. He followed Andrel with a confident stride, his eyes scanning the area around him, watching with interest as the men went about their routines. He would learn what they all meant in due time, he then decided.

"I shall accompany you back to your Pavilion. I am open to all of the knowledge that you are willing to impart unto me," Kayiri spoke certainly. "Shall we depart now, or shall I wait as you finish business here, or shall I meet you here later in the day?"
Kayiri
The Prideful Drykas

Character sheet
Trash Medal (1)

A Furry Friend (Closed)

Postby Tundris on September 26th, 2010, 2:30 pm

Andrel led Kayiri through the great hall of the Emerald Clan Pavilion. Hunters in conversation and task were all around them, bustling and relaxing respectively at their posts. Through a side entrance, there lay a large field with several pens. The dogs of different breeds were segregated from the other animals, but Kayiri would not be choosing one yet.

They stopped at the smaller tent of the dog trainers, several of whom were in the midst of training dogs themselves. After observing a trainer lead a dog through a small obstacle course, Andrel whistled to him, motioning for the trainer to bring the dog.

"This is Yuri, he has trained all the dogs you saw earlier the in the pens, most of them are ready for hunting but it is important that you learn some grass sign so that you can communicate with the dog. I'll leave you two to it. When you have chosen a hunting companion, Kayiri of the Skyweavers, he will be yours. Make sure to form a bond with it, it is essential that you make an effort to understand its behaviour and emotions. Holding eye contact and speaking to it is a good way to start."

Andrel left the two to converse, and after short introductions Yuri led Kayiri out into the field.

Yuri stood in a solid stance in front of the sitting dog and thrust his arm straight outwards with the palm facing down and fingers straight. "This grass sign is to tell him to remain vigilant and wait for orders. The dog will immediately come to your side and await further instruction. This is best used with the words 'Hap-to', he will recognize what it means. See?" The dog quickly strode over to the trainer's side and sat staring in the same direction.

"But if you are unable to use words out in the grasses, the dog will still understand - if he can see your arms. If the dog is far away and you do not wish to use words, turn your palm and bend your arm towards your body and at the same time strike the palm with the back of the other hand, to make a slapping sound. This will project over a good distance, and will also alert him to come to your side." As the demonstration continued the dog was sent out and brought back by the different methods of the same order.

"To send him off and engage an animal, keep your head turned and your eyes focused on the target. He must see that you are looking intensely in that direction so that he can know what to strike. These dogs won't bring a large animal down, but smaller prey is feasible. For larger prey the dog plays a role in distracting the animal and if you are using a bow to kill from a distance, the dog will turn the beast to help your aim. This sign is two thumps on the left shoulder with the right fist, and then the arm must be pointed out towards the prey with two fingers extended and the rest held tightly against the palm. Right now he will not attack or complete the task as there is nothing here he has been trained to attack, but he has been out on hunts like many of the dogs here and he is ready to distract. Just be sure your aim is true, lest you pin your dog to the ground and not your prey!" Yuri burst into laughter, as much respect as Emerald Clan members had for Caiyha and her creatures, it was acceptable to find humour in such situations. Laughing was healthy and part of bonding.

"Lastly, this sign will instruct your dog to retrieve a fallen kill, depending on its size. The larger dogs can pull an Olidosapux calf on their own, but not an adult, at least not by themselves. If you kill a bird or small animal these dogs are very skilled in sniffing out where they have fallen. Sometimes it can be difficult to see right away in the tall grasses without being seen by other predators."

After throwing a stuffed pheasant decoy, Yuri held a bend arm out in front of him, holding it parallel to his chest. His arm pivoted up until it was vertical and then down again into its originally horizontal position. After that, his previously closed fist opened into a straight line of fingers and his wrist rotated until his palm faced his chest.

"Make sure to accentuate each movement with strong tensed muscles, this establishes strength and respect with the dog, knowing his master is poised and alert. Accompany this move with the words 'Shee-Hah' if the dog is already at the downed target. But if he is at your side the words are unnecessary as he will see your movements and understand. Now go and choose a dog and spend time sitting in the grass getting to know it by stroking its fur, looking into its eyes and speaking to it about yourself. Speak in Pavi and establish your master role by informing it that you are his new master, and speak of your achievements. These animals work off of respect, and the stronger and more accomplished their master is, the more likely he will follow you. Feel free to practice with him on this field, and you can watch the other trainers too if you cannot remember the correct signs. For now just learn those three commands as they are most important, but later on when you have formed a strong bond with your companion, it will be easier to train him in more complex commands. For Caiyha!" Yuri saluted and bowed to Kayiri before taking the dog he used for demonstration and continuing to work with him.
Tundris
Mother Drykas

Office
Trailblazer (1)

A Furry Friend (Closed)

Postby Kayiri on September 27th, 2010, 3:19 am

Kayiri's eyes watched his every movement, absorbing the knowledge he radiated like a sponge. Every word that left his lips, every accentuation in his words was absorbed by the hungry Drykas. After every demonstration of the sign, he practiced it once or twice, finding memorizing them somewhat annoyingly difficult. Not to mention, the third one was a bit of a pain.

After Yuri left to go about his business, he ran through the commands one more time, speaking quietly as he did so.

"Arm out, fingers open, palm down," he declared, thrusting his left arm, his non-dominant hand, open as he said so. "Hap to!" he then shouted, as if he was trying to command the air and the life around him. Second sign. He focused his eyes on a nondescript blade of grass before him. "Two thumps," his right arm came across his chest, the fist thumping proudly on his broad shoulder. "Point out, two fingers," The arm did just that, pointing forth and at the imaginary target. He would have barked an order, but this side had none to bark.

One more. He held an arm out in front of him, bent across his chest. Then, just as Kayiri had been shown minutes before, it moved into an upwards position. Then, with a quick and strong movement, he brought it back across his chest, his hand shooting open, the palm rotating to face his breast.

"Shee-Hah!" it echoed a bit, but it was lost in the commands of the other hunters. Satisfied, he turned, proceeding back to the pens.

Kayiri spoke briefly in Pavi to one of the men near the pens, his questions mostly regarding to the breeds of the different dogs and their different strengths. Through the entire thing, his eyes were drawn to an Akinva Deerstalker. It was a beautiful creature, pure white fur adorning its body. The perfect dog for a Drykas warrior and hunter of the Diamond Clan. The moment the man was done explaining, he returned to the pen with the Deerstalkers, squatting to get on eye level with the white-furred dog.

He spoke in Pavi. "Hello, white-furred one," Kayiri's voice was low, and though respectful, carried an authoritative tone. The dog approached the edge of the pen, sticking its snout between the slats, sniffing Kayiri's outstretched hand. Its eyes met his. He felt a feeling of euphoria shoot through him, though he wasn't sure if his mind had constructed the feeling, or if the dog had. It was reminiscent of when Serenity, his Strider, had chosen him as her rider. That was a feeling he had thought nothing could match, until now.

Now he wasn't so certain. He opened the pen door, walking back a bit. His arm went forth, his palm down and fingers out. "Hap-to," he declared. The dog obeyed the order, coming from the pen and sitting obediently next to Kayiri.

With a sense of pride, he closed the pen door, and set off with his new companion, settling in the grass not far from the Pavilion and the training field. The unnamed dog settled next to him, it's tongue hanging from it's mouth as it panted.

Kayiri ran his hand over its back, scratching it lovingly behind the ears. He had only known the creature for the briefest of moments, but he could already feel an attachment to it.

Finally, he spoke. "I am your master now, dog. I shall grant you a name. You are now Aindreas. Carry your new name with pride and dignity, and together, we shall go a long way," Kayiri's voice rang out with pride and clarity.

"Now, Aindreas, where do I begin with the tales of glories I have already found? I know. Last Winter, I was staying just outside of Endrykas, in a tent with a woman named Hex. One night, a Zith-- a monstrous creature born of Hell itself-- entered our shared tent and stole my bow from under my nose. Hex was also wounded in the fight. We followed the Zith for miles across the expanses of the Sea of Grass. Along the way, a companion named Vanator joined us... Eventually, we tracked the Zith down to the settlement of Xy. Awful, evil little place.

The Zith trapped us inside of a cave, and one strode forth, tossing the bow onto the ground. Then, he proceeded to urinate on it. Right in front of me. I was furious. Unthinking, I charged into the fray, eager to spill blood in the name of honor. I cut down one's chest, straight down the sternum. Then, the chaos began. Two more jumped from the shadows, ambushing me, attacking my flanks. My arm was sliced open by one of the creatures. My companions tried to get them off of me, but they were too focused. A torch landed by my foot, and in a brief moment of sanity, I snatched it up in my bad arm. I then tried to hold out as long as I could for my companions, slashing and stabbing wildly. I claimed one clawed hand, and another was stopped with a torch to the face, knocking teeth loose.

Then, Vanator and Hex joined the fray. Vanator claimed the wings of one foul beast, whilst Hex doused the other in oil and lit him on fire. One scratched me right beneath the eye. I was fortunate it did not blind me," Kayiri finally took a brief pause in this huge narration.

"With the wounded Zith distracted, I was left facing the leader. In our fury, we struck each other. He cut into my side, whilst I hacked him in half. I then reclaimed my bow, and we rode proudly off into the night."

Kayiri told many other stories to the dog, and eventually practiced with the dog. The couple already looked inseparable, and this was only the beginning of a relationship that would advance and presumably blossom.
Kayiri
The Prideful Drykas

Character sheet
Trash Medal (1)

A Furry Friend (Closed)

Postby Tundris on September 27th, 2010, 3:34 am

Kayiri
+1 Storytelling
+1 Leadership
Lores:
Basic Hunting Dog Commands

Notes: Grats on obtaining your first hunting dog! May he slay for you many a beast!
Tundris
Mother Drykas

Office
Trailblazer (1)