Open Priorities 26 Summer 514

She may be half, but her priorities are full-blooded Eypharian.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Priorities 26 Summer 514

Postby Shoshana Re Menehat on July 25th, 2014, 12:02 pm

When Shoshana was young, she'd been afraid that her skin would stay wrinkled after she'd been in the bath too long. She looked at her hands now and smiled slightly at the thought, it was but a fleeting thing that did not distract her from the conversation. Saraphina's mother had served her well in teaching her to nod. As far as Shoshana was concerned, such acknowledgment, though not the amount of enthusiasm she had expected one to show toward the thriving metropolis that was famous Ahnatep, was acceptable. And as an added bonus, no one had been overly offended as of yet. All generally considered to be positive things in a discourse.

What was more exciting was Saraphina's wisdom in being receptive to face paints. The excitement was visible in her eyes as Shoshana pondered. Could they just do it here? Oh, no. She had used the last of her paints, poor planning, that's why she had avoided washing them off her face. It all came together.

The half-Eypharian could have stayed in the bath indefinitely. It was so nice just to soak after her days on the dirty ship. Brine was almost as bad as sand, leaving a salty residue on her, the wind always making her feel unclean, not to mention the sailors' apparent aversion to bathing. But the kelvic was on the move. Water splashed then trickled as she emerged from the waters and sighed. She also began toweling herself dry. Luckily, the room was warm and steamy from the bathwater.

"I....think it is...same," Shoshana responded to whether it would be like clay pots being painted with oil and charcoal. 'Charcoal' was a bit of a strange word, not always used in conversation. "It is a," her fingers rubbed together in a hand gesture like she was sprinkling salt to indicate something powdered, "dust. And it is mixed to make a paint. We...put them like this," she pantomimed using a brush to outline the shape of her eyes, a very practiced motion for her.

The observant attendants were quick to return Shoshana's things. "But I do not have any here. Do you know anywhere to buy them?" She didn't know Saraphina had not been in the city much longer than she had herself, how could she? And still, perhaps the other had passed something. There had been a street, Shoshana remembered, that looked busy. Certainly there would be some face paints there. A tiny voice in her head tried to incite panic by wondering whether shops here would not sell face paints, since they did not seem to be as popular among the people in the city, but it was ignored for the moment.
Shoshana Re Menehat
Player

Words: 16323
Joined roleplay: July 15th, 2014, 11:22 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet

Priorities 26 Summer 514

Postby Saraphina Skyglow on July 26th, 2014, 5:36 pm

Saraphina Skyglow

T he news that Shoshana didn't have the paints on her to demonstrate her art was rather disappointing, but Saraphina didn't linger on it for long. It would have been nice to see and experience the strange custom, but really it couldn't be helped. Shoshana's question about finding a place to buy the paints made the Kelvic hesitant. Really she had no clue where to buy anything. West Street would be the best area for purchases, but there were so many stores and building that it would probably take bells to locate anything. And much as Saraphina enjoyed Shoshana's company, the thought of wandering aimlessly in crowded stores and noisy streets was a bit taxing.

D igging through her backpack, Saraphina fished out her own comb and ran the teeth through her wet, knotted hair. She winced a few times when a practically stubborn tangle refused to allow the comb to pass through but after a few long strokes, her damp hair was straight and neat. Placing everything back in her bag, Saraphina put her clothes back on, bending down to tuck her pants into the calf high boots before responding to Shoshana, "I've only been in Zeltiva for a few days but I know that West Street is where all the sales are. There's lots of stores and stalls that carry many things. I'm sure if you look around down in that area you can find the tools for your face painting. I've been wandering around for a while and I'm finding the noise and crowded areas are getting annoying. I think I will go back to the World End Grotto for a while. But I would like to meet and talk with you again Shoshana. Maybe once you get your paint you can show me how you make yourself pretty. Where are you staying? I could come visit you in a day or so, if that's alright."

T he Bath House and all its facilities had been a treat. Saraphina was very impressed with everything and made a note to return. If she ran into interesting and nice people like Shoshana every time she came, she would soon have a host of people she might be able to call friends. Shoshana was someone Saraphina could see herself eventually trusting, given more time. Certainly she was someone that she'd like to know better. For right now, the Eypharian women was on her good list. She hoped that Shoshana was perhaps staying at the Grotto as well. That would make visiting her easier, but given the small size of Zeltiva, anywhere she was staying would be fairly easy to get to. Saraphina dug through her bag and pulled out a Gold Miza for the attendants. Remembering that it was considered polite to reward good services, she also dropped an extra 3 Silver Miza into the young women's hand. A smile and happy nod follow as the attendant thanked Saraphina and wished her well.

Saraphina Skyglow
No chains will ever hold me

Words: 234308
Joined roleplay: July 7th, 2014, 11:59 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Priorities 26 Summer 514

Postby Shoshana Re Menehat on July 27th, 2014, 6:40 pm

Shoshana took her time drying off, enjoying the warmth of the place and the delicious sensation of feeling clean after having traveled a very long time. Some coins dropped into the attendant's waiting hand in payment for the bath, well worth the money any day. The half-Eypharian already decided the bath house was likely to be her favorite place in the city. She took her time slipping into her linen robes once more, looking at her clean feet a moment before slipping them into the sandals that they had still not worn in.

Truthfully, it was rather disappointing to the woman that her potential companion did not wish to explore the shops with her. Being on her own in a strange city had been, as much as she hated to admit, rather frightening for her, she wasn't sure she would even be able to find this 'West Street' on her own. Which West street? In any case, she decided she would just have to go back what had seemed to be the busiest stretch of the city. But it did rather kill her excitement to paint the other's eyes. How could Saraphina even bare to be seen in such a state? Shoshana would have thought it'd be much higher on the other's list of priorities.

But she smiled and nodded in response to the other's request to wait and visit her at another time. A much more pressing matter was- Where was she staying? She had no idea. World's End Grotto? Maybe she could find that building and stay there too. Certainly someone could at least point her in the right direction.

"I will stay there as well," she answered...hopefully....did such places ever become to full? How had she not thought of the practical matter of securing a place to sleep first? Probably because you have been smelling like a goatherd's tent for days, and baths are wonderful. Shoshana agreed that she had a point. "Of course, do find me in a day, I will find some paints before then. But..all of these new streets, I have forgotten where it is. Is it also on this...West Street?"

It was, however, surprising to hear the other had only been in the city for a few days. She seemed so confident. Though, she had probably lived out in the world before this, and not closed in her whole life so, she had a bit of a head start.
Shoshana Re Menehat
Player

Character sheet

Priorities 26 Summer 514

Postby Saraphina Skyglow on July 27th, 2014, 11:18 pm

Saraphina Skyglow

S hoshana's news about wanting to stay at the Grotto renewed Saraphina's energy level. She had thought at first that the exotic women already had a residence. She certainly had the appearance and mannerism of a wealthy person, though her attitude was not. Shoshana was a bit of a oddity. But then again, so was Saraphina. The Kelvic smiled at the dark haired women's response, "That sounds wonderful Shoshana. I can show you the way back to the Grotto. The inn has a very nice man that works in the kitchen. He make the meals and there very good. We can travel back to the Grotto together and I can show you where West Street is. That way you can go there and find your paints. When you do then you can paint my eyes like yours."

W aiting till her new friend...she was fairly certain she could call Shoshana friend. Her natural desire to innately distrust was fading. There was also the fact that despite the foreign girls appearance of money, Saraphina was almost certain she posed no threat. Particularly since it now appeared that Shoshana knew even less about the city than Saraphina did. It felt nice to be able to teach someone else some new things as opposed to her always trying to understand and comprehend everything she experienced. Now finished her bath and rather pleased with the new situation, Saraphina walked back into the main entrance room and turned, waiting for Shoshana to follow her. Maybe she did have the patience for some shopping after all. She might just have needed a little more persuasion.

Saraphina Skyglow

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Priorities 26 Summer 514

Postby Shoshana Re Menehat on July 28th, 2014, 10:01 pm

It did make sense that most people, upon finding themselves in a new city, might secure lodging before they decided it was time to relax at the bath house. It hadn't really crossed Shoshana's mind. She'd been very busy trying not to bump into too many people, keep from staring at all the new sights, and wondering at the many glaring cultural differences there were between this city and her home. Besides, the half-Eypharian had been tired of smelling like the wrong end of a camel. Not that either end had a particularly appetizing scent.

In any case, relief sprung into her expression when Saraphina offered to show her the way back to the World's End, and also to West Street. She had not been looking forward to wandering Zeltiva for an eternity, which is what she had been certain would truly happen to her.

"That would be very good of you," she gladly accepted as she released her silky dark tresses from their loose binding. The woman was slowly coming to realize that she was like a de-clawed housecat being pushed into the wild and expected to survive, it was rather terrifying. Why had Yahal appeared to her, if he really had in the first place, why had she listened? She had very little reason to suspect that the kelvic would cause her any harm, unless she planned to lead her to some secluded place and then turn into whatever had possessed that unsettling stare...and murder her.

There was mention of the kitchen staff, "I am certain most anything would be better than the Kelp Ale," she observed, perhaps too loudly. Her stomach churned in sympathy. Most of its contents were likely still on the floor of The Kelp Bar, no doubt waiting to be scooped into a stein and distilled into more of the kelp sludge. Shoshana had little interest at the time in socializing with kitchen staff, whether they were very nice or not.

She nodded in confirmation that they should paint Saraphina's face as soon as possible. It was the only way to minimize the damage to her reputation she'd already done by leaving them unpainted for this long. For herself, Shoshana could not see how she would be able to leave her place of residence (once she came to reside there), unless her eyes were painted, so she really did need them as soon as possible, before being trapped in this vicious cycle of needing to leave to buy cosmetics but being unable to leave unless she had cosmetics. It simply would not do.

Saraphina moved with quite a lot of coordination, it did not seem human, though she looked human. Shoshana remembered that other was kelvic, not human. Speaking of being led to secluded places and then murdered (it had been a thought previously, she returned to it now).

"You say you choose when you change of your forms," Shoshana was trying her best to ask politely, "what is your animal form?" She was so curious to know what had possessed that...unsettling stare.
Shoshana Re Menehat
Player

Character sheet

Priorities 26 Summer 514

Postby Saraphina Skyglow on July 30th, 2014, 12:25 am

Saraphina Skyglow

S araphina kept her pace slow so Shoshana could keep up. The sandals the tanned women wore didn't seem to slow her down, but the red head didn't think she'd be able to walk in shoes like that. For many years, she'd worn heavy, fur lined boots, so wandering about in open toed footwear held in place by a few flimsy straps seemed highly impractical. What would Shoshana do if one of the straps broke? And how in Morwen's name would you fight in such thin shoes? Shaking her head to clear it of the thoughts so she didn't randomly blurt out what she was thinking. Shoshana's reply to her offer to show her around Zeltiva was a bit odd. She didn't really understand why the Eypharian women was thanking her when Saraphina was headed towards the Grotto anyway. So she did what her Mother taught her....she nodded. The streets were still crowded and noisy, but somehow with the company of Shoshana they seemed less hectic. She wondered if it was the company that made it so, or simply knowing that she wasn't wandering alone anymore.

W hen Shoshana's stomach grumbled, Saraphina's sharp hearing picked up on the noise. Turning to the dark haired women, the Kelvic gave a smirk and replied, "I'm told ale and all its ilk make sane men think they can sing ballads and lift building on their shoulders. Probably not something I want to try in large amounts." Saraphina turned left down one of the main streets and pointed to a bustling roadway filled with cloth and wood stalls. People of all shapes walked in and out of doorways, arms loaded with goods. Waving to Shoshana and detouring down the street, she spoke to the other, "This is West Street. I haven't explored it much. This area, part of the Old Quarter that we were in and the Docks are about all I know of Zeltiva. The other side of town I haven't been to yet. I'm going to explore it in the next few days. But everyone says this is where are the supplies, food and.....well everything really is."

S araphina shrugged nonchalantly after she'd finished talking. The buildings around her looked quite old and durable. They'd probably stood through many storms and troubles. She spotted a few items that caught her eye. A fish stand that had a series of fresh catches, a general store and what was possibly a jeweller or art supplier. Pointing to the last, she nudged Shoshana gently, "That store there....it might have the paint that you want Shoshana." Saraphina had no clue what the exotic women was looking for, so the best she could do was point her in a helpful direction and hope she guessed right. The question about her animal form was a bit surprising, but Saraphina didn't consider it rude. Shoshana had never heard of a Kelvic, so her curiosity was understandable, "You wouldn't have ever seen or probably heard of what my other form is. When I shift I change to a large predator feline known in Avanthal as a Northern Tiger. I can show you sometime....but not here. I tend to upset people if I change in public." Saraphina had no issue showing Shoshana her other form. Actually it might be quite amusing....the sheltered girl might feint or scream when she saw. Saraphina wasn't a cruel person...but one couldn't help but be amused by the mental image of a painted faced desert girl shrieking like an angry gull.

Secret :
Northern Tiger refers to Siberian Tigers.

Saraphina Skyglow

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Priorities 26 Summer 514

Postby Saraphina Skyglow on August 23rd, 2014, 2:41 pm

Saraphina Skyglow

T he streets of West Street were crowded and noisy at this time of the day. People of many races flitted back and forth, pausing at stalls and windows to see the wares and overall, it was just too loud. Saraphina's sensitive ears were nearly ringing at the volume and she hissed unhappily. Why had she come here again? Oh right....Shoshana had wanted some face paints and a guide to the Grotto. Sliding up alongside one of the brink walls, the Tiger Kelvic looked around for an easy way to squeeze thorough the bustling crowds. Given the number of people....that was no easy task. Turning her head back over her shoulder, Saraphina frowned when she realized that in the mist of the crowd, she'd lost track of Shoshana. Her golden eyes darted around, trying to pick up on the women's unique clothing, but to no avail. The dark haired desert girl was gone. Saraphina felt a moment of guilt that she'd let the crowds spirit her new companion away but it pasted quickly. Shoshana was a grown women, she could take care of herself.

F ocusing again on pushing through the street, Saraphina managed to partially muscle, partially weave and bob her way through the horde of people. The mass thinned out as she neared the docks and the familiar cry of gulls touched her ears. Sighing in relief, the red head stepped onto the cobblestone that lead back to the Grotto. The faded paint and smudged windows had never looked better. With the smell of cooking food lingering on the wind and her body feeling fresh and clean from her bath, Saraphina headed into the common room for a meal. She learned quite a bit today about Zeltiva and about other parts of the world. If luck would have it, Shoshana would find her way to the Grotto and maybe she'd still be willing to show Saraphina how to paint her face.

Saraphina Skyglow

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Priorities 26 Summer 514

Postby Perplexity on September 20th, 2014, 3:55 pm

Saraphina :
Skills:
  • Observation | +1 EXP
    Socialization | +3 EXP
    Rhetoric | +3 EXP
    Storytelling | +1 EXP
    Planning | +1 EXP
Loot:
  • -1 GM 3 SM for Bath House Expenses
Lores:
  • Zeltiva: Constantly Smells of Fish
    Observational Insight: Shoshana’s Scent
    Social Nuance: Making Oneself Less Intimidating
    Shoshana: Woman With A Strange Accent
    Rhetoric: The Rhetorical Question
    Rhetoric: Ale and Men
    Geography: The Nature of a Desert

Comments :
Somehow the idea of Saraphina in front of a mirror trying to put makeup on her face is rather amusing. Feel free to contact me if you have questions or concerns!
Perplexity's Office Status

Perplexity
DS of Zeltiva, Mod Privileges in Wildlands

Words: 440795
Joined roleplay: July 11th, 2013, 11:59 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Previous