[Verified by Crosspatch] Benjamin Laurent

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, all the character sheets are kept for player characters. Feel free to come on in, browse the forum, look at what sort of characters others have created, and then begin your very own!

Moderator: Liaisons

Benjamin Laurent

Postby Benjamin on September 14th, 2014, 4:08 am

Benjamin Laurent

Appearance

Race: Human
Birthday: 9th of Summer, 496AV
Birthplace: Syliras

Appearance:

There is little the observing eye might consider remarkable about the young master Laurent. Standing an inch or so shy of six feet from the earth's surface, one would be hard pressed to say he strikes an imposing figure. His build, though healthy, lacks ultimately in the defining contours of other men who make the martial arts a way of life. With pale blue eyes the color of a late summer sky, they are prone to the distant stares of a youth whose ambitions far exceed his reach. His nose fits the gentle curves of his face; neither too large nor small, but with animated nostrils that give away his temperament all too easily. His lips are thin and smile easily enough when provoked, with teeth hiding beneath that are surprisingly neat and clean.

Character Concept

He was once the boy all Syliran mothers kept a watchful eye on, a firm hand trapped along the collars of their own children's shirts to keep them from being drawn into his mischief. The mere mention of Benjamin's name was unfailingly followed with deep eye rolls and curse-lined mutterings, his charms still in their infancy and incapable of digging him out of any sort of trouble. They all knew deep down the boy was blameless however; a father and mother too busy tending to their business with the remainder of their time spent on their four other children whose goals well exceeded reason for their age. It left Benjamin without purpose in life, and a fathomless pit of energy he knew not where to place.

It was only after a young girl's death that the boy was reined in by the sturdy hand of his uncle. Brought to Lhavit to both breed some discipline into the child and escape the tragedy of his past, Benjamin was groomed to become Shinya. Though ultimately failing to achieve such revered status, there are still echoes of the meditations, prayers, and practice that remain. The bedlam of his youth, though not doused, became tempered and sharpened into something more honorable. Taught to examine the world around him through focused eyes, and allow experience to hone his demeanor, have shaped him into the man he is today.

Character History

On Family: I do not recall much of my early childhood, in truth...though that does not burden my uncle Padragh any more from reminding me. Quite the little outlaw once upon a time, or so I'm told. Always a coin to steal or a woman's skirt to glance up through. Do not misunderstand me; there's no disbelief in me to muster when told such tales. Even today I find I have an itch of a sort that I lack in ability to scratch, but I keep it well enough in check.

My family is half of what I remember from those Syliras-spent days. Mother with long curls of hair the color of the dying sun. Father with his trimmed dark beard and long mustache whose ends he twisted when troubled with business. They owned and operated a small fleet of merchant vessels dealing mostly in the spice trade, spending what little time remained fostering the dreams of my other siblings. As for me, well, we'll call upon that later.

Gregory, my eldest brother, who by now must look worlds apart from the boy with a chip on his shoulder that I remember. He was a squire when I left with uncle, now a knight as I understand it by the letters mother sends. Brooke, my eldest sister, groomed to take over the family business when my parents grew too irascible to handle their clientele with respect. She excels with numbers and figures, and has the ambitions that may yet put the family name on the tongues of many.

Then there's Gavin. Gavin sails aboard one of the family's merchant ships, and likely destined to become a captain some day, or so the letters say. He's got a pair of sea legs that could make an old salt envious, and a manner about him that even the Svefra find homespun. My only hope is that he makes it to a ripe age, as I've been told he's faced a fair share of danger along his journeys already.

Finishing up the Laurent pack is the one I'm most fond of: Nadia. A natural talent for music and song. Hair dark like fathers with freckles peppering her narrow cheeks. She tried her best to keep me on the straight and narrow in my formative years, but I doubt anyone could have wrangled me in back then. She blames herself in part for what happened all those years ago, but we both know I was never one to stand for idleness.

It was the beginning of memory for me. Pity that the tale is less worth telling than the ripple I left in her death's wake.

On Tragedy: Her name was Eve. At times it troubles me how little I remember of her physical appearance. I know she enjoyed the simpler things in life like picking flowers where they grew out of the stonework, gazing at cloud formations from the balconies of places we never belonged, and spending time with lost souls such as myself. She had a wonderful imagination and showed compassion for all living things.

My first mistake was that I took her for granted. My second was that I allowed it to become her undoing.

I could prattle on for bells about our antics in those early years, Eve so full of knowledge and only a year ahead of me in age. She seemed to know a bit about everything in fact, a story never far from its telling when in her presence. She really could have been something, but I fear that path shall only make this story digress and allow me to slip into melancholy.

[.to be completed in flashbacks.]

Language

Fluent Language: Common
Basic Language: None
Poor Language: Fratava

Skills

Skill EXP Total Proficiency
Weapon: Short Sword 15 RB, 5 SP 20 Novice
Unarmed Combat 20 SP 20 Novice
Personal Magic: Projection 15 SP 15 Novice
Meditation 10 SP 10 Novice

Lores

Lore of Lhavit Streetplan
Lore of Lhavitian Culture

Possessions

-Simple Shirt
-Simple Pants
-Simple Undergarments
-Simple Coat
-Simple Boots
1 Waterskin
1 Backpack which contains:
-Comb (Bone)
-Brush (Bone)
-Soap
-Razor
-Balanced Rations (1 Week’s Worth)
-1 eating knife
-Flint & Steel

Heirloom: Key, Good (Valued at 40 kina) - A well crafted iron key gifted to him by his father before he was sent away to Lhavit. The story behind it remains a mystery, though Benjamin considers it a charm of good fortune he wears draped about his neck from a simple piece of string.

Housing

House: Solar Wind Apartments (Simple Room)

Ledger

Purchase Cost Total
Starting +100 Kina 100 Kina
Housing Trade-In +500 Kina 600 Kina

Thread List

Fall 514 AV
5th: Invictus
Last edited by Benjamin on September 24th, 2014, 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Benjamin
Player

Words: 8891
Joined roleplay: September 6th, 2014, 2:44 am
Race: Human
Character sheet