PC Authors

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

PC Authors

Postby Ayatah on September 20th, 2014, 12:18 pm

Hi guys,

So, for a while now, I've kinda had this background plot for Ayatah that includes her writing a book - a nonfictional one. It would be about the Myrian culture - from her viewpoint as half-, and it would be a more neutral standpoint (given the Myrian's generally disliked nature around the world of Miz, I assume most books would be derogatory).

I guess my question is... how would I go about this? I've done a couple of flashbacks with her as a child building her reading & writing skills, but beyond this I'm a little unsure as to how to progress. It would obviously be a long process to actually have her writing it, so I'm expecting to do a few solo threads for the next seasons with her planning/drafting/writing the book, but after this... What next?

One key question, of course, is: what is the reprinting technology of Mizahar? I think (my history isn't great) that in the old day they'd used some sort of hand-run machine to shape the letters and print them by hand. Not actually write as such, but kind of stamp them. Would it be this kind of thing? If so, I'll obviously do more reading about this, but it's bet to check first :)

I'd appreciate any advice. This is a fairly long-term plot, so I guess I can development it as & when, but it'd be nice to have some idea :)
Ayatah
The Scholarly Savage

Words: 667148
Joined roleplay: December 27th, 2012, 11:30 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

PC Authors

Postby Gossamer on September 20th, 2014, 12:51 pm

Even though we don't have a writing skill fleshed out per say (many many people have volunteered then dropped the ball), I would suspect a book or novel would take at least an EXPERT in writing and the appropriate amount of time and effort in thread. That would mean a season or two, including excerpts from the book displayed in thread where your PC is researching and actually sitting down to physically write it.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

PC Authors

Postby Ayatah on September 20th, 2014, 2:16 pm

So we're talking about a real long process, here! Which is good, because it gives me plenty of time to make sure everything's all up to scratch and ready. Thanks for clearing the basic level of skill needed, too! :)

Regarding the writing skill, is this something that I could perhaps help develop? I've got plenty of time before this plot line becomes anything more than an idea, and it's definitely captured my interest about how something as simple as writing is actually quite challenging to develop in writing. It's something easy to take advantage of, I think.

Thanks for the help, Goss. Sounds like I don't really need to worry about the latter stages of this idea for some time.
Ayatah
The Scholarly Savage

Words: 667148
Joined roleplay: December 27th, 2012, 11:30 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes