Koze Jovai

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, all the character sheets are kept for player characters. Feel free to come on in, browse the forum, look at what sort of characters others have created, and then begin your very own!

Moderator: Liaisons

Koze Jovai

Postby Koze on October 10th, 2010, 7:20 pm

Koze

The Basics
Male, Akalak - Age 42
Date of Birth: 72nd of Fall, 468 AV
Current Residence: Riverfall

Physical Description
Size: 6'10", 265 lbs.
Skin: Deep blue/indigo
Eyes: Pale gold
Hair: Black, sides short, topknot braid to mid-back
Other: Missing ring finger, left hand
Typically Seen Wearing: cotton shirt, leather vest, hide trousers, straps and harnesses carrying tools/supplies
"On Future Prospects :
“I’m going to marry Koze! He’s sooo cute. He’s not too big and muscley, and his eyes are always smiling like he knows a joke, but he won’t tell me. And he’s so polite, Ma says he's a true gentleman! He always smells good too, like flowers, or grass. Pa says that’s weird for a man, but then Ma says that maybe Pa should bathe every once-in-a-while” - Lira, 8, daughter of Drykas traders.

"On Peer Reviews :
“He’s a little small and scrawny. Yeah, he’s quick, and can take a beating, but I’ll beat him every time in the stone-lift. Big nose, ears a little blunt. Stupid grin. And if he doesn’t smooth out that scruffy jaw a little more often, he’s never going to find a mate.” - D’Rai, 42, Training Partner. 7’5”, 355 lbs.
Last edited by Koze on October 13th, 2010, 3:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
Koze
Player

Words: 13944
Joined roleplay: October 5th, 2010, 2:51 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet

Koze Jovai

Postby Koze on October 11th, 2010, 5:31 am

Who is Koze?
"On Parental Expectations :
“Koze is a good son and has become a worthy Akalak. The trainers have no complaints about his martial skills. He has distinguished himself as a hunter, a warrior, and a member of our community. His choice of profession sounded odd at first, but I’ll be damned if it those perfumes don’t fetch good mizas from the traders in port. And his sensitive nose has lead us to more than one vile Zith den before a trail was found. I couldn’t be more proud...

Wait...

Not true. If he doesn’t find a mate soon, I’ll raid a slaver ship myself, throw the poor girl in his room, and not open the door until she is good and pregnant. Don’t give me that look Koze, I absolutely will do it...”
-Dalton, 78, Koze’s father.

Koze is the son of Dalton Jovai, Grandson of Nevarus Jovai, and Great Grandson of Butros Jovai, a member of the Riverfall Council of Elders. He enjoys a small amount of status and influence from his lineage, though the only favor he has truly called in has been having Butros begin instructing him in the Djed of sensing Auras.

He inhabits a room in his father’s dwelling, sharing the house with his half-brothers, of which he is the oldest. Koze’s mother is a Konti named Indra. She and Koze’s father Dalton have shared a tender relationship, but they have never married, and she never stays in Riverfall for long. Besides Koze, she has borne with Dalton an Akontak daughter (Ryleia, age 17), and a Konti daughter (Ki, age 5). 4 years ago she journeyed to Mura with Ryleia and Ki to have Ki raised among the Konti, and further Ryleia’s training. She is due to return soon to continue raising Ryleia in Riverfall.

Koze's Family Tree :

The Dark Side
At different times, Koze will manifest 3 distinct darker personalities; they developed at different stages throughout his childhood, a new one seeming to crop up each time he gained control of the old one. In an effort to better control the darkness, he tries to integrate these facets into his life where he can, rather than suppressing them completely. He also refuses to let any facet of his dark side take or be given a formal name. Koze maintains that it is all one soul, all his soul, and he won't allow for an entirely different entity to have control of him.

The Underhand was the first to develop, and is sneaky, selfish and dishonorable
"On The Underhand :
“The first time Koze showed his dark brother, he had just turned 2. He had been disobedient, nothing extraordinary, but our punishment was that he lose his favorite grape tart desert for the next week. His eyes narrowed, but he left the room in peace. Over the course of that afternoon, grapes and sacks of sugar started disappearing from all our neighbor’s kitchens. When I checked on Koze hours later, I caught him in his room, mashing whole vines of grapes together with sugar in his hands, and trying to shove the mess into his mouth. The light brother quickly returned and I admonished him thoroughly, but secretly his face covered in the purple juices still makes me chuckle.” - Dalton, 78, Koze’s father.

The Tyrant manifested later in Koze's childhood and is cold, heartless, and domineering. When the Tyrant is ascendant, Koze takes pleasure in exerting control and dominance over others.
"On The Tyrant :
“That blue bugger was no older’n eight when he came out on the Suvan wit me to bring in a catch. He was a head taller than any o’ the other human boys that were me runners, but they was mostly older and there was four o’them. He was an agreeable little fella if left alone, but the little bilge-rats had more moxie than sense. They kept pestering him, calling names, pinching, until finally they threatened to toss him overboard. I didn’t even see the strike that put two of them on the deck, clutching their throats. But me and all me mates heard his voice go from a soft murmur to a crisp bark that would stop the bosun’s own whip. He told them little rats in no uncertain terms that unless they left him alone, and did all his chores for him to-boot, they wouldn’t make it back to port with all the limbs they left with. I for one, completely believed him” -Captain Rosk, 54, Human Fisherman.

The Hate exploded onto the psychological scene during Koze's Right of Trial. The Hate is volatile, full of vitriol and violence - it is hardest to control and Koze keeps a tight reign on this one.
"On The Hate :
“We had the glassbeak separated from the pack, and trapped in a box canyon near the cliffs. It was a sure kill. But Tanter thought he had something to prove, ignored the training, and went straight at the thing alone. We all knew that Tanter had way too little control over the dark, and if he didn’t get himself killed he would end up a Cerulean. Koze was friends with him though, and was forced to follow. But he didn’t get there quick enough. The Glassbeak eviscerated Tan before he even got his Lakan up, but as disturbing as that was, Koze’s change was far worse. He flew at it screaming in incoherent rage, leapt on it’s back, one hand fishhooking the mouth, the other stabbing again and again with his own Lakan. By the time the rest of us got there, the beast was just meat, but Koze’s Lakan was still hacking away. We all knew the Dark Brother when we saw it, and none of us approached until he was quite finished. When he finally gained control and stood up, he was a mess; spittle in his mouth, face streaked with blood, his hand well mangled from the thing’s beak. He passed the Rite of course, and had the honor of the kill, but it cost him a finger, a friend, and a good amount of his hard-won control” - O’Rai, 42, Training Partner during Rite of Trial.

"On the Three Souls :
“I don’t believe Koze actually harbors three dark souls and one light. The distinct aspects his darkness takes are really just facets of the same gemstone. It is not a weak darkness, rather a clever one, always probing for the gaps in his control. When he suborned its first incarnation so thoroughly during his childhood, it had to manifest in a new way to gain any ground. I was impressed at first when he had such control as a child. Then I became worried after glimpsing the evolution of his dark soul. Maybe it is because he refuses to let it have a name. I worry that it will evolve further and find some other way to consume him, but he has had almost 30 years without anyone new showing up. We all figure there must not be anymore...” - Nevarus, 140, Grandfather.

"On Correlations :
“There is some correlation between Koze’s use of his Lakan and the ascendancy of his dark soul. I don’t know whether wielding the Lakan brings out the darkness, or the dark personalities just like having a blade in their hand. Either way, when the blade comes out, the kid gloves should come off. I usually let Reveric handle him then” - Sohryn, 172, Riverfall Weapons Instructor

What to Know About Koze
STRENGTHS
Koze takes honor and duty very seriously. Sometimes he must do painful things for honor's sake. Sometimes he (or The Underhand) must partake of unsavory acts for duty's sake. But they make for strong guides in a path on which he could easily be lost.
Physically, well, he's an Akalak, with all the size, strength and grace that implies. But he also has particularly sensitive olfactory senses for his race. This has prejudiced his professional inclination, and gives him certain advantages in the wilderness.
WEAKNESSES
While Wysar saw fit to gift him with an extraordinary nose, he was not so kind to Koze's hearing. He isn't deaf by any definition, but his hearing lacks the acuity his nose has in spades, he will bits of conversation, and is hopelessly tone-deaf.
Last edited by Koze on October 12th, 2010, 5:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
Koze
Player

Character sheet

Koze Jovai

Postby Koze on October 12th, 2010, 12:14 am

By the Numbers
SKILL POINTS AQUIRED
Weapon: Polearm 10 [10 sp]
Weapon: Lakan 5 [5 sp]
Unarmed Combat 15 [10 racial, 5 sp]
Rope & Grapple 7 [5 sp] 2 xp
Climbing 8 [5 sp] +3 xp
Acrobatics 6 [5 sp] +1 xp
Hunting 5 [5 sp]
Detection 2 +2 xp
Foraging 1 +1 xp
Herbalism 1 +1 xp
Perfumery 7 [5 sp] +2 xp
Philtering 1 +1 xp
Auristics 7 [5 sp] +2 xp

Knowledges
LAGAUGES: Tukant (fluent, native language), Common(conversational), Pavi (poor, can ask in which ditch one relieves oneself)
LORE:
  • 101 Ways to Kill a Zith
  • Odiferous Flora of Riverfall
  • Taking the Plunge
  • Using a Rope to Stop Your Fall
  • The Pain of Slamming into a Cliff Face
  • Hand Holds of a Cliff
  • Climbing Wet Slick Rock
  • Places to Rest While Climbing a Cliff
  • Smelling Something Sweet Along the Cliff
  • Following Your Nose
  • Finding Your Way Off the Cliff: “Holy shyke these rocks are slippery.”
  • The Aches and Pains of a Climb
  • Distilling the Bulbs of a Kesselmoss
  • Adding a Little Extra to Perfume
  • Trying a Variety of Mixtures for Perfume
  • Satisfaction in One’s Work
  • Interest in the Fairer Sex
"On Olfactory Talent :
"The wildness you smell in that vial, you can’t derive that scent in civilised Syliras, my lady. No, I have a man down in Riverfall. Well, an Akalak actually if you can believe it. I know! Best nose in Cyphrus; bottles the essence of the waterfall itself, he does! One whiff of this on you, and a gentelman’s desire will flow like a waterfall for you. And it’s a steal at just ten gold mizas...” -Nostrillo, 37, Syliran perfume merchant.

Equipment and Possessions
Weapon: Grandfather's Glaive
Weapon: Personal Lakan
Noobensacken Backpack :
1 Waterskin
1 Set of Toiletries (braid-ties, oils, brush, razor, soap)
Food for a week (nuts, raisins, dried meat & fruits)
1 eating knife
Flint & Steel

Clothing:
  • Cotton Shirt
  • Leather Vest
  • Hide Trousers
  • Hide Boots
  • Gloves
  • Leather Belt, Harness
[/list]
Ledger
ITEM BALANCE
Starting Package +100 gm
TOTAL 100 Gold Mizas
Last edited by Koze on October 21st, 2010, 10:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Koze
Player

Character sheet

Koze Jovai

Postby Koze on October 12th, 2010, 5:51 am

History
Koze’s young life (as Akalak measure these things) has not been unremarkable. He has fought bravely, done his duty admirably, and practiced his profession with diligence. As his father has proclaimed, he is a fine and honorable Akalak.

But he has not struggled yet with extreme adversity. He was not orphaned as a child nor did he grow up a street urchin. He is not a slavery survivor or amnesiac. He is in no way an outcast of his society. Has he lost friends to vicious predators and been forced to kill sentient beings to take his place among his peers? Sure, but what Akalak hasn't. As much as it can be possible in a culture where military training is a constant and a small slip in focus can lead to temporary insanity, Koze's world has been simple and comfortable.

Sometimes worlds change.

Present:

In this, the Fall of the year 510 AV, his mother Indra is due back from The White Isle. She will have left her Konti daughter there to be raised, but is returning to Riverfall with Koze’s Akontak sister Ryleia, 17. Neither will complete the journey. Indra lies dead, her travelling party ambushed somewhere in the Sea of Grass. Ryleia is missing completely.

Koze’s story truly begins now.

Threads:
Flashbacks
Summer, 499 AV | Making Scents of Things
Koze
Player

Character sheet