Open Why Do They Call It 'The Unforgiving' Anyways?

Cyq goes out in an attempt to find some new malediction items, and meets a lot of surprises.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The vast mountain range of Kalea is home of secret valleys, dead-end canyons, and passes that lead to places long forgotten or yet to be discovered.

Why Do They Call It 'The Unforgiving' Anyways?

Postby Cyq on November 8th, 2014, 6:46 pm

My Words | Your Words | My Thoughts

34th of Fall, 514.

Some days, the mouse wished he'd stayed back in Pyconia. He could have done anything with his life - could have taken up medicine and traveled far and wide, healing the sick and injured and making goodness-knew-how-many Miza's out of it all. He could have become a blacksmith, made friends with an Isur and traveled to Sultros. Of course, the chances that he would succeed in any of these things was pretty slim, but that didn't mean that he couldn't give it a try and hope for the best. There were so many things that simply weren't expected from Cyq, because he was a Pycon. It was accepted, that he'd never become as 'skilled' as the bigger creatures for no other reason than because they were big. They could lift more, they could run faster - ergo, he'd never be able to create the same things as them. He'd never make a castle the same size as theirs.

In some ways, it was unfortunate. He wanted to be known. Famous, even. In other ways, though, it was a great weight lifted from his shoulders, knowing that he could bask in mediocrity. All that was ever really expected, from his family and friends and culture, was that he 'find himself'. Experience all that he could, so that he could eventually find his true form, as if it was some achievement to be able to finally pick whether he wanted to be a hedgehog or a mouse. Like it was even a difficult choice to make, all things considered. He could do anything, anything at all, and he'd be able to figure that out. Everything, except this...

He'd run out of bones to maledict, which meant he was on the hunt for more. It didn't matter whether they came from the remnants of some unfortunate prey animal, or whether it came in the form of whatever even-more-unfortunate predator came across the mouse. He still held his walking stick in one paw, and leaned heavily against it to support the thick Maledictor's Kit that was still slung over his back, pressing down against the base of his tail with just enough pressure to make it uncomfortable. The various tools inside, brushes and chisels, were all clattering against each-other and making stealth completely impossible. At least there weren't many places for animals to hide, among the thick rocks jutting out of the ground, and the few tufts of grass that surrounded them.

"If I had one of those fake-children made by Kaik, I wouldn't have to carry all this stuff by myself..!" he grumbled angrily to himself, stopping with the walking stick practically buried in the loose soil to support his body while he adjusted some of the straps to make the weight hopefully more bearable on his shoulders. He wasn't weak.. but the tools were pretty heavy, and the weight constantly pressing onto his back for the better half of three bells was really beginning to wear the little mouse down. "If I had one of those fake-children of his, I wouldn't even need to come out here at all.. I could just tell it to kill whatever small animals it could find, bring them back, and I'd never have to leave the city again..."

Not that it wasn't oddly peaceful. The thick mountains and scattered hills, pointed rocks cresting the ground like misshapen tombstones in memory of those that had trekked these hills and lost themselves. From the peak of some of these hills, one could see far and wide over the Unforgiving - the little clusters of animals fending for themselves during the day, ever-circled by birds of prey and scavengers alike searching for the smallest morsel. True that the brief spouts of rain had left a bit of a bog developing in the lower valleys. All of the water running all the way down the hills and mountains, pooling at the bottom and forming these thick piles of sludge, only occasionally washed away by the streams passing through. Others were just left to develop.
Cyq
A Tiny Terror

Words: 116393
Joined roleplay: August 1st, 2014, 5:33 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Why Do They Call It 'The Unforgiving' Anyways?

Postby Cyq on November 11th, 2014, 8:10 pm

My Words | Your Words | My Thoughts

For now, he was going to steer well away from that. Goodness knew that he wouldn't have a chance getting through those bogs, even if his life depended on it. He couldn't wait until the full blast of Winter set in and froze all those places deep enough that all he'd have to worry about would be soft, fluffy snow. Not the horrible, sticky mud. It wasn't like he was tall enough to simply wade through it either. He'd have to swim.

Not like there'd be many animals there. Anywhere else either for that matter. The more he pushed into the Unforgiving surrounding Lhavit, the less likely it seemed that he'd be finding anything of particular use. Winter hadn't kicked in yet, but the chill was definitely beginning to settle in the air, and a lot of the animals had disappeared with it. Migrating.. hibernating.. guess my supplies will be looking pretty thin for the next season. Well, it was an inescapable problem when it came to Malediction. Hopefully he'd be able to find new supply routes before he ran out of bones completely. As it was he still had a fair few hanging around somewhere, but they wouldn't be there forever. He needed something new, something to tell a story with, rather than this simple nonsense he could only find in rats and other little creatures.

Eventually, he crested a rather shallow hill bludgeoned on all sides by a larger hills and small pointed mountains, almost blockading further movement. Worse still, they all dipped hard into a thick crescent of mud and marsh, where all the water had drained away down the sides of the landscape. There was a small gap he could likely use to venture deeper into the Unforgiving, but it meant he'd have to wade through the damnable stretch of swampland if he was ever going to make it - and barring that one entrance, there seemed to be no other way that wasn't completely barred off by the ridiculously steep inclines.

It looked as though there was little choice available - he'd have to wade through the thick mud. Thankfully, he found he could take at least some fun from it all. The bowl had such steep edges that it was simply unfathomable to try descending them normally. Instead, he tucked the small walking stick close to his chest and pulled his legs, arms and head as close to it as possible. After a while, the limbs began to lose substance and melted into the rest of his body, forming a near-perfect sphere that began slowly gaining speed as it rolled down the side of the hill.
Cyq
A Tiny Terror

Words: 116393
Joined roleplay: August 1st, 2014, 5:33 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes