Things We've Lost (Shiyami & Co.)

It's always darkest before the dawn.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Postby Altaira Readva on January 22nd, 2015, 2:38 am

Common | Vani | Others | Winter 37
The days were beginning to wear on the woman.

She was sore and worn and at her wits end – the repairs to the university, her duties to her goddess, and those to her own work had left her a shell of the woman she was a mere month ago.

She wet her lips and rubbed her shoulders, blinking thrice as she forced the world before her into focus. Altaira’s feet carried her without cause or aim. It was another dreadful shift in the infirmary that had just passed, more dead and more suffering that she’d had ever thought that she’d have the displeasure of seeing. She bit her lip as she attempted to wake herself.

There had been another explosion the night before.

Another barrage of dead and injured flooded the halls of the infirmary just chimes after her shift had begun, and she wagered that her heels must have blistered from the constant running and pacing and work she was pushed to complete – so many students had been broken. Little hopefuls that couldn’t stand the sight of so much death, and it was perhaps too often that one of the newer, less confident pupils requested her presence in checkups. It was strange, at first. She was asked to join the room even with the work that she’d brought, entering and exiting rooms while in the midst of grinding or mixing or working away at some salve.

Then it made sense.

Although Lady Dira herself was one who respected none, Altaira respected the act of dying immeasurably, and the rite of passage that was returning to Dira’s side. If any died on her watch, or she came across any whose breath had left them forever, she had no qualms in the closing of eyes should they have been left open, nor did she take a moment’s thought about whether or not they deserved even the shortest prayer of peace in death and loved ones who remained. Neither did she take issue in being the one to pass on news to death to the families, seeing it as an opportunity to speak slight and quiet words to the necessity of death and how the dearly departed is already on their way to a new life, to further Dira's cause through consolation. If further words and worries passed about possibilities that they were indeed not, and bound to the world in ethereal form, then Altaira herself would vow to give them peace.

A cry cut through the late evening air, and a shiver split her spine. With the heat and quick work within the infirmary, the kelvic had taken to the wearing of light clothes, which in itself worked well until the chill of the night’s air bit at her. ‘This is nothing to Avanthal. Lady Morwen could do much worse, I am sure.’ Her gaze slid towards the now much softer sobbing, a small child with others surrounding close by proving to be the source of the interruption of her musings. The child’s hair was a mess, their clothes dirty and their nose running. Had the small, poor little thing not be surrounded by so many others, the kelvic would have had half a mind to see if she could help.

She let a deep breath slip from her lungs, and focused on the road ahead as she pressed herself forward. Then she felt it. Ice slid through her veins, and she knew quite rightly that she was not alone.
Altaira Readva
I can wait.

Words: 279063
Joined roleplay: October 22nd, 2013, 6:39 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Shiyami on January 23rd, 2015, 6:31 am

A frown could be seen on Shiyami's face, as he floated along the corridors of the infirmary. One of the rare times when he choose to blatantly withdraw all doubts of him being alive, as he looked around. Frankly, it would not be out of place to see a ghost like himself floating through anyways. Death seemed to float in the very air, as he saw in numerous wounded in every available space.

Of course, his frown wasn't caused by the scene around him. His semi-frequent glances over his shoulder showed what was the source of his annoyance. His two companions had followed him. The younger of the two companions had stubbornly latched onto his back, and wouldn't allow Shiyami to visit the infirmary without bringing her along, whereas the older of the companions simp,y explained that it wasn't fair if only one of the two were brought along.

So, a compromise of a sort was met. Shiyami visits the infirmary, with Kimi taking care of Kichijou while tagging along. Both the older ghosts agree to not allow the youngest to be mentally disturbed by the scene, which led to the somewhat odd situation of Kichijou having her eyes covered by Kimi's hands, who also somewhat steered the smaller girl by turning her gently. The older was also humming softly, as to distract the youngest from the groans of pain and suffering around.

"You're frightening nearby patients....", Shiyami muttered towards Kimi, his words falling upon deaf ears. However, he slowed down, as he noticed someone slightly familiar towards the front. She had her back turned, but the ghost was quite certain he knew her. "Hm...could it be....", he started to mutter, before interrupted by Kimi, who had jokingly answered, "It's Ava.". Brushing off the joke, as he knew that this woman wasn't the dire kelvic from Syliras. However, with the word 'Kelvic' appearing in within his mind, the ghost suddenly nodded. Most likely, it was that parrot kelvic! He didn't exactly socialize with many, so the list could be quickly and accurately sorted through.

Floating closer to the woman, he tapped her should with his soulmist, before speaking on word, in the most nonchalant and monotone possible.

"Boo."
Shiyami
See if I have given you a nickname here!
Click me please~!
Shiyami
Death's Shadow

Words: 125205
Joined roleplay: July 14th, 2013, 3:29 am
Race: Ghost
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Altaira Readva on February 2nd, 2015, 1:03 pm

It was a feeling that she quite rightly could not rightly explain- the feeling that was gifted to her with her Lady Dira's mark.

It was the rippling of her spine or a sudden simple knowing, apparently what some would call a 'sixth sense,' but it tugged at her inner being in a way that almost sat innately within her. It was the ever useful little nature of an Eiyon, and one of spiritism, that allowed those of ghost being to have their little tricks and treachery of going unnoticed rendered null in her presence.

And so, when a figure lurked behind her, and a low, emotionless voice and form materialised from just over Altaira's shoulder, it was not with shock of a presence that caused her to near jump out of her skin, but the familiarity that struck from the tone and voice. If there were any a time that 'shock still' were a term that was pin point accurate in the woman's life, it was then.

Memories flourished to mind, frantic and blind searching as each and every ghost and possible recent departed sprung to mind. Voice and face and face and name. She knew it, that was known, but it rung old and hollow, not quite anything tht she'd heard since seasons past. It took the noting of two further presences for the picture to truly be woven before her, yet one of such was quite unknown, and she turned to face the gentleman with a look of liquid delight.

The wild gaze and excitement quelled quite swiftly, and the expression settled to a bright smile as a breath of pleasure rolled from her lips. "Stranger," she chimed, a light giggle rolling from her lips, her eyes darting the room as she sought sight of Kimi. "Such a fancy meeting you here..." her words trailed and cut slightly off. She'd let too much of her attention too quickly be taken by the long lost acquaintance, the one who had captivated her thoughts and drove her towards the glory of the Goddess of Death, but in a single wave, the gravity of the city's situation once more loomed over head. People were dying, so many were already dead.

Her duty to her Goddess was not a light one, and yet there she stood- yearning to trade thought and story with a ghost, when her work as Dira's servant was perhaps the thickest it may ever again be.

The whisper that then struck her was almost a plea. It was a conniving little suggestion, almost a mockery of true work, but it masked itself as reason to indulge in talk and laughter. And, by the Gods, Altaira took it without much further consideration.

"Why Zeltiva?- Why now?-" She looked as though she was speaking conspiracy - quite ironic given she never spoke ill of Ignotus with such care and quietness - her eyes narrowed slightly and body tucked forward, short notes and musings made about how Shiyami looked no different to their first and last meeting. "Its nothing to do with how thick the death is here, is it, Shiyami?" Perhaps she should have spoken with less candour, perhaps her words should have been honeyed and sweet and danced around the issue.

But she was not so eloquent, and she trusted in Shiyami enough to be frank about a worry so severely her own.
Altaira Readva
I can wait.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Shiyami on February 6th, 2015, 6:20 pm

Shiyami had to smile. The kelvic was just as blunt as usual, asking question without giving much thought to the wording, something which the ghost still found quite refreshing. "No, no, I came to Zeltiva on the whim, before the destruction happened.", he had explained, before glancing around at the wounded that groaned from every available room, to which he added, "On the other hand, I visited today to witness just how much havoc was created in that chaos.".

Suddenly glancing behind hm, as he felt a tug on his cloak, he found Kimi to be glancing between Kichijou and Altaira, to which the older ghost understood after a few ticks. He took over the position of shielding the small girl's ears, although only after warning her to keep her eyes closed.

Without being occupied by the youngest, Kimi shifted around her soulmist, before her appearance had altered. Appearing as the small girl she was back in Syliras, with the ribbon still decorating her hair, she leaped forward, before latching onto the kelvic, not unlike how a child would embrace an adult.

"It has been awhile now, hasn't it?", Shiyami asked, after smiling gently at the scene before him. "I hope you still remember her name, otherwise she will forever pout around you.", he had said with a laugh, before looking down at the other ghostly child in front of him. "Kichijou, a recent ghost. She chose to become a ghost, being somewhat clingy of myself and Kimi.", he said, introducing the third ghost.

Shrugging, he vaguely glanced in the direction of Sunberth. "We had left to visit a different city, but found that place no exactly to our liking. We had not exactly felt like returning to Syliras, so here we are.". However, the ghost's attention was distracted by Kichi, as she had started fidgeting. The child was starting to become bored of being unable to see nor hear her surroundings.
Shiyami
Click me please~!
Shiyami
Death's Shadow

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Altaira Readva on February 12th, 2015, 1:27 am

Already she could feel herself falling into a long forgotten rhythm, one where the immediate worries of the world did not seem so immediate, and even the mere fact that those before her were ghosts did not give herself too great a worry.

For what it was worth, she trusted Shiyami, and she trusted him with the care of Kimi.

When words were said that Shiyami's arrival predated the destruction, a sigh of relief rolled from her lungs, though she quite quickly then kicked herself for not finding his presence sooner. The lingering feeling of a ghost or lost soul had perhaps come too often in recent times, and her work with Dira was largely with the conversing and aiding closure of fresh spirits.

She shouldn't have been surprised to hear that the ghost was curious about the level of chaos wrought, but she couldn't help the bitterness that she felt, even more so since she was yet broken from her duty. If she were not careful, her heartstrings would be tugged and she'd be a slave of work for another bell and a half. "Not good, not good," was the depth of her own comment on the matter, having spoken so much of it and at such great depths that she could no longer care to string another sentence on it, instead offering a sad smile as she noted Shiyami's own.

In a moment more, her heart leapt and settled, her aching body able to offer only a slight smile as she saw the form that proved indeed to be the sweet Kimi take shape. What did manage to escape her, however, was a gleeful little giggle and short lived grin, her entire mind and form once more thrust into a season into the past. "Of course I remember the sweet little Kimi," she let another little giggle slip from her lips, "I keep my promises, and I keep them well."

At the introduction of the third small little ghost, the kelvic was quizzical, though she none the less offered a smile and nod- not for the blinded child, but instead for Shiyami.

"I see, I see. I've done something similar," the kelvic continued to caress the sweet little one before another question slipped from her lips, before a request was made in toe. "The child... Kichijou, is not used to other forms?" The kelvic pressed her lips and gave a short survey around her, before gesturing to the door. "Perhaps this conservation should be taken elsewhere, no?"
Altaira Readva
I can wait.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Shiyami on February 24th, 2015, 5:02 pm

Shiyami nodded at Altaira's short but understandable words of the damage wreaked upon the citizens of Zeltiva. However, as the topic shifted slightly over to Kichijou, the ghost shrugged. "By forms, if you mean other ghosts, then not exactly. We haven't made contact with other ethereal since finding her. If you meant taking on another appearance, she doesn't understand how to just yet."

Giving two answers, as the child was starting to squirm, causing Shiyami to be slightly unable to fully piece together what the kelvic had meant, Kimi finally loosened her grip slightly, enough to look over her shoulder. "I think she wants to see who Altaira is.", she said, before tightly holding Altaira again.

Glancing around, Shiyami sighed. "I would prefer somewhere less...this...for her eyes." Hesitating mid-sentence, choosing to gesture at the wounded patients that almost overflowed the wards.

Sighing, the old ghost smiled. "What has changed over the times we have been separate? Anything intriguing?" The ghost asked with curiosity, half of which was for his interest, the other half was to hopefully brighten the somewhat gloomy atmosphere of the surrounding environment.
Shiyami
Click me please~!
Shiyami
Death's Shadow

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Altaira Readva on March 8th, 2015, 9:56 am

Although the kelvic was bitter to admit, she did not earn Dira's mark through some profound knowledge or understanding, and drunk every word that slipped form the old ghost friend's mouth with such a keenness that she almost felt as though she needed to quell her expressions. The little new ghost was yet to learn how to take another form, it made sense- the added fact that the dear Shiyami was yet to meet another ethereal was almost to gladdening, with the mayhem unleashed upon the city that season leaving her to wish that her kind stuck in any form of groups.

It dawned on her in a few ticks time that she was yet to actually respond in any intelligable manner, and a brisk nodded of her head soon followed, "I see." A very large part of her wished the child would not have the time to learn- that the little one would pass with Dira and find peace in short time.

When the question of the little ghost wishing to know Altaira herself, it was not without a puzzled look that she received Shiyami's request, before nodding and gesturing for the door and towards the streets, with there no doubt existing some street or small alleyway that the four of them could shortly confer within. A short look around then took note of the people within the wards and their own thoughts of what was conspiring with the woman and the ghosts, before relief flooded her. There were too many other worries, it seemed. Dira, she wouldn't be surprised if many thought they were hallucinating in response to exhaustion.

With the next question asked of her, Altaira gave a short smile and began to exit the room, voice low and pace brisk as she took point some dozen meters from the infirmary, gaze seeking any other sight than what seemed like more patients on their way. "Nothing much, I fear," she called, giving the ghosts enough time to meet her once more, before her tone dropped once more, "Nothing I wish to speak of in such dear, sweet little company." She looked pointedly to the man, eyes dropping to the girls before once more rising. "Now, the little one wished her eyes to open?- what has been new to yourself, I should also ask."
Altaira Readva
I can wait.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes